Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

DrBox wrote:Well the fans would be aghast if she is hired.
BUT the timing works out well for her. Because she has a chance to gain instant credibility by addressing the football situation. But if she doesn't....

Exactly, she either shows Johnson the door at the end of the season or its business as usual and the few remaining fans
bail because enough of Tulane's disfunction and total incompetence!

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ExileWave
Surge

JTLiuzza wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:What a mess.
That about sums it up right there. That should be the official slogan: "Tulane University Athletics - What a Mess" Either that or; "Tulane University Athletics - Can You Believe This Sh!t?" :lol:
A psychiatrist could build a great practice just trying to determine why any of us have wasted our lives being Tulane fans.....stress, depression, continuous disappointment. It has to be some bizarre form of self loathing. ;)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

So in effect as many speculated back in March 2014 that Burke was really hired to run the athletic dept for the future. This national search is nothing more than a smoke screen. It's obvious to me that the other candidates have no interest or the fix is already in. I can't believe this is the best we can do at this university with a national search. As someone else mentioned why hire someone from one of the worst run athletic dept's in the country.
This is what Tulane would call a "splash" hire.
https://lockerdome.com/cfbtlsagoldenhur ... 9320336404
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ExileWave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
That about sums it up right there. That should be the official slogan: "Tulane University Athletics - What a Mess" Either that or; "Tulane University Athletics - Can You Believe This Sh!t?" :lol:
A psychiatrist could build a great practice just trying to determine why any of us have wasted our lives being Tulane fans.....stress, depression, continuous disappointment. It has to be some bizarre form of self loathing. ;)
For those needing "help" please see Dr. Sader...no appointment necessary, first come, first served...evening and late night hours available
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Just Rumor from Athletic Department employee.... but Barbara Burke will be named TU AD on Monday, November 30th.

If true Tulane can kiss my @ss. Every Tulane fan I know will be done with TU athletics. I will not spend a penny on TU or step foot on campus again. Disgusting!
JTLiuzza
Swell

Greenwave41 wrote:Scott Sidwell would be an unbelievable get. Sidwell has experience in a power 5 football school and has experience at the top of an athletic department. Sidwell has NFL ties and brings instant credibility. His strength is football and we need him now.
Welcome aboard Scott! :D
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

ExileWave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
No kidding. A long time ago I posted something to that affect. Those of us who continue to even bother with this clown show have some sort of disorder. Help is required. And not some mickey mouse 30 minutes a week on a couch at the local shrink. We're talking a six month University level study taken up by teams of PhD psychiatrists from Vienna or something.

To quote mbawavefan: What a mess! :lol:
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RobertM320
Green Wave

What was the name of that recruiting firm again? Time we publicly embarrass them as well.

And what's a real shame is, our local media coverage is so close to non-existent that Tulane won't be called out after this hire either. Business as usual.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mandeville Wave wrote:Just Rumor from Athletic Department employee.... but Barbara Burke will be named TU AD on Monday, November 30th.

If true Tulane can kiss my @ss. Every Tulane fan I know will be done with TU athletics. I will not spend a penny on TU or step foot on campus again. Disgusting!
plus ONE for me !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Burke is already tainted by Cow/Dick. The Wilson Center is in desperate need of a culture change. The only way I buy into Burke is if she immediately turns around and cleans up the football train wreck and produces a slam dunk hire.

Like i said, the next two weeks will be very interesting!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TU23 wrote:At this point, the AD search can be labeled a fiasco. All I can hope for is that whoever gets the job fires CJ and somehow stumbles into a good coaching hire.

In other news, I'm also hoping to win the lottery.
Agree. More importantly thanks for the laugh during these tough times.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Greenwave41 wrote:Scott Sidwell would be an unbelievable get. Sidwell has experience in a power 5 football school and has experience at the top of an athletic department. Sidwell has NFL ties and brings instant credibility. His strength is football and we need him now.
Not surprising that the people who think Sidwell would be an "unbelievable get" have no idea how social media works.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... arch-heats

Tulane’s search to replace departing athletic director Rick Dickson is heating up dramatically this week.

Among the candidates, five names have emerged according to multiple sources close to the program. Interviews will be conducted this Thursday and Friday in Atlanta, the home of search committee chairman Doug Hertz.

The full list:

--Barbara Burke, Tulane’s deputy athletic director/chief operator officer. Burke arrived in March of 2014 to work under Dickson after spending six years as athletic director for Eastern Illinois.

--David Benedict, the chief operating officer at Auburn. Benedict has held that role since February of 2014, directing day-to-day operations of the department.

--Brian Wickstrom, the athletic director at Louisiana-Monroe. Wickstrom has been in that position since July of 2013.

--Todd Patulski, the deputy athletic director at Baylor. He has been at the school since 2003 and was promoted to the No. 2 position in the athletic administration in 2009.

--Scott Sidwell, the athletic director at the University of San Francisco. Sidwell, who has been in that role since 2011, is a Tulane graduate who worked at Tulane from 2000-05, first as associate athletic director for corporate development and then as the leader of the external operations staff.

More candidates are expected to be interviewed, but a source confirmed former Saints executive vice-president Arnie Fielkow was not under consideration.
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

alumniwave wrote:Look how long she's been doing this job. She has connections. I know for certain she has very close Big 12 and ACC ties. Also, being a female gets her at the head of the line in many meetings and consideration from other AD groups looking for deversity. Not many females to compete with in the AD world.
Obviously you are a friend of Ms. Burke, so let me give you a piece of advice.

I know you believe this would represent a promotion and a great career opportunity for Ms. Burke, but I assure you it will ruin her career. I don't know anything about her and have no idea whether she is qualified or a good fit, but I can assure you her appointment would ensure that she would be signing up to be the Captain of the Titanic.

It won't be fair to her, but I won't give her a chance. I'll be gone, and it appears many along with me.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

LSU Law Greenie wrote:http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... arch-heats

Tulane’s search to replace departing athletic director Rick Dickson is heating up dramatically this week.

Among the candidates, five names have emerged according to multiple sources close to the program. Interviews will be conducted this Thursday and Friday in Atlanta, the home of search committee chairman Doug Hertz.

The full list:

--Barbara Burke, Tulane’s deputy athletic director/chief operator officer. Burke arrived in March of 2014 to work under Dickson after spending six years as athletic director for Eastern Illinois.

--David Benedict, the chief operating officer at Auburn. Benedict has held that role since February of 2014, directing day-to-day operations of the department.

--Brian Wickstrom, the athletic director at Louisiana-Monroe. Wickstrom has been in that position since July of 2013.

--Todd Patulski, the deputy athletic director at Baylor. He has been at the school since 2003 and was promoted to the No. 2 position in the athletic administration in 2009.

--Scott Sidwell, the athletic director at the University of San Francisco. Sidwell, who has been in that role since 2011, is a Tulane graduate who worked at Tulane from 2000-05, first as associate athletic director for corporate development and then as the leader of the external operations staff.

More candidates are expected to be interviewed, but a source confirmed former Saints executive vice-president Arnie Fielkow was not under consideration.
Not knowing much, that Todd Patulski resume looks awfully appealing.

Note: Hiring people based solely off of resumes is not a good idea.
Wave755
Tsunami

And, how I would like for Todd Patulski, the deputy athletic director at Baylor to serve as our new A D. And, Patulski has to be fully wired in for the Big 12. So, perhaps this is indeed a genuine search for a new A D and not simply more "Kabuki Theater" from the Wilson Center?
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:And, how I would like for Todd Patulski, the deputy athletic director at Baylor to serve as our new A D. And, Patulski has to be fully wired in for the Big 12. So perhaps this is indeed a genuine search for a new A D and not simply more "Kabuki Theater" from the Wilson Center?
This guy sounds better for sure. But all that matters is who we end up with. Remember the last basketball and football search. A lot of good candidates turned Tulane down because of it's refusal to do anything about inherent challenges.
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

Uuuhhhh the guy from Baylor. PLEASE! Come on down and turn us into Baylor. Please please please please.

Won't happen, because Tulane.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
OUG
Riptide

Patulski and Benedict are obviously the guys that we want.

Let me put the question out there because, I think, we may be in the position where the timing of this might not work out to fire CJ, particularly if we are 5-7 (which is a definitive possibility). Would you rather:

-Hire Burke, if it came with her firing CJ

or

-Hire Patulski/Benedict knowing that coming from the outside, they'd be more inclined to take a wait and see approach to a team that was 5-7 or 4-8 instead of firing them on day 1 of the job and starting their own coaching search before you hit your front office door.

Sophie's choice, I know, but I'm asking it because that's how I see things shaking out right now.
alumniwave
Low Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
alumniwave wrote:Look how long she's been doing this job. She has connections. I know for certain she has very close Big 12 and ACC ties. Also, being a female gets her at the head of the line in many meetings and consideration from other AD groups looking for deversity. Not many females to compete with in the AD world.

I know you believe this would represent a promotion and a great career opportunity for Ms. Burke, but I assure you it will ruin her career. I don't know anything about her and have no idea whether she is qualified or a good fit, but I can assure you her appointment would ensure that she would be signing up to be the Captain of the Titanic.

It won't be fair to her, but I won't give her a chance. I'll be gone, and it appears many along with me.
I only know Burke professionally. AD world is small. From reading post like this one, the best thing for Tulane might be to lose some of these type of "supporters". Too many people talking out their a@@ and spew hate towards people they don't know and hate towards the school in general. I review many fan basis across the country and this one has some less then desired supporters. Purging some fans might be a good thing in this case. Getting the more sensible supporters and bringing on new ones will bold well for Tulane.

Also, don't count on Patulski. He is using this to get more $ from Baylor.
Wave755
Tsunami

alumniwave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I only know Burke professionally. AD world is small. From reading post like this one, the best thing for Tulane might be to lose some of these type of "supporters". Too many people talking out their a@@ and spew hate towards people they don't know and hate towards the school in general. I review many fan basis across the country and this one has some less then desired supporters. Purging some fans might be a good thing in this case. Getting the more sensible supporters and bringing on new ones will bold well for Tulane.

:^^: Is this guy Sidwell? He joined on October 14, 2015 and has 14 posts?
Last edited by Wave755 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExileWave
Surge

alumniwave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

The "supporters" you knock are the only ones left who give a DAMN about Tulane athletics. Purging will result in an empty stadium (it is already).
The few exist on 2 message boards....RD's so called "lunatic fringe."

CJ needs to be fired immediately after the Tulsa game- win or lose at SMU and next week. No matter whether we have an AD. The coaching search should have already started.
Last edited by ExileWave on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:What was the name of that recruiting firm again? Time we publicly embarrass them as well.

And what's a real shame is, our local media coverage is so close to non-existent that Tulane won't be called out after this hire either. Business as usual.
They are nationally recognized and we won't be effective. They lead the search, they don't make the decision.

Tulane only hired them as cover so they could say they looked high and low and, suprise!, the best candidate was the one Scott Cowen hired 18 months ago.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:Patulski and Benedict are obviously the guys that we want.

Let me put the question out there because, I think, we may be in the position where the timing of this might not work out to fire CJ, particularly if we are 5-7 (which is a definitive possibility). Would you rather:

-Hire Burke, if it came with her firing CJ

or

-Hire Patulski/Benedict knowing that coming from the outside, they'd be more inclined to take a wait and see approach to a team that was 5-7 or 4-8 instead of firing them on day 1 of the job and starting their own coaching search before you hit your front office door.

Sophie's choice, I know, but I'm asking it because that's how I see things shaking out right now.
It's a silly question, because it's not a zero sum game. No AD with a clue would need a year to "evaluate" the situation. In no other corner of college athletics is the current situation something that wouldn't be blown up.