Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
posse
High Tide

Saw this on YOGWF..........Does anyone know exactly what were her Coaching hires that speak for themselves?

"Barbara Burke should not be lumped in as a "Tulane insider." She has had her own career that she built which has nothing to do with Tulane or Rick Dickson. As noted above she was not hired by Rick Dickson. She was hired by the board.

If you've ever spent 5 minutes with her you know she is about one thing - Winning. If she is hired, I am confident the words "win" and "winning" will be mentioned more than at anytime in the last 50 years. There will be no question about her motivates and PR skills. And her coaching hires speak for themselves.

And if she is selected it will be because she is the best person from a national field. The article isn't completely accurate. Remember we have two NFL owners on the search committee (Hertz owns part of the Falcons). I have a lot of confidence that they will select the best person to win at Tulane because they want to win too. Be that Burke or one of the other candidates. But it will take someone very impressive to beat her, IMHO."

Jonathan
Riptide

Why are Tulane fans and alumni not included in the selection process. Why are you all so quiet about it. Contact Tulane Presidnt Fitts,, Doug Hertz from Atlanta on the Tulane board AD selection committee head and Darryl Berger our chairman of the board. Post their telephone and email numbers to tell them our options.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

posse wrote:Saw this on YOGWF..........Does anyone know exactly what were her Coaching hires that speak for themselves?

"Barbara Burke should not be lumped in as a "Tulane insider." She has had her own career that she built which has nothing to do with Tulane or Rick Dickson. As noted above she was not hired by Rick Dickson. She was hired by the board.

If you've ever spent 5 minutes with her you know she is about one thing - Winning. If she is hired, I am confident the words "win" and "winning" will be mentioned more than at anytime in the last 50 years. There will be no question about her motivates and PR skills. And her coaching hires speak for themselves.

And if she is selected it will be because she is the best person from a national field. The article isn't completely accurate. Remember we have two NFL owners on the search committee (Hertz owns part of the Falcons). I have a lot of confidence that they will select the best person to win at Tulane because they want to win too. Be that Burke or one of the other candidates. But it will take someone very impressive to beat her, IMHO."
Hell the Glaziers own the Tampa Bay Buc's and Manchester United and hold a seat on the board, yet they have rubber stamped every dumb azz selection of Coach's that have been trotted out or dumped out
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

posse wrote:Saw this on YOGWF..........Does anyone know exactly what were her Coaching hires that speak for themselves?

They are talking of her football hire at Eastern Illinois, Dino Babers. They also give her the unsubstantiated credit for the hire of Pierce.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I would expect Burke to be named AD on Friday. No inside knowledge. Just based on how Tulane does things and announces them on Fridays.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

White never considered going to Tulane so forget that ship. Tulane will be very fortunate to hire Burke. She had no ties to RD before arriving last year. She will hire winning coaches. The success will build and help Tulane become a very legitimate athletic program across the board. She is very well respected in the college AD world and knows her stuff. Out works most AD's I know and will maximize Tulane nationally. You'll thank me later if Tulane is smart enough to hire her.
1. You are probably right. There is nothing in her resume or background that would make me say that she can't succeed at Tulane. Sidwell would also be a good choice since like I posted earlier in this thread that it will probably take around $200million to get facilities upto P5 level having an AD that can fundraiser and being an alum and former athlete would positive not a negative.
2. You and are outsiders. From what I sense by reading the boards Tulane fans trust Tulane to make a competent hire about as much as LSU fans trust Les Miles to make a competent OC hire (if that position opens up this offseason). I completely understand their hesitation or lack of want for Burke or Sidwell.
3. My gf's father is Glazer Club season ticker holder and one of those SC/RD brown nosers and he wants Burke. So I am going to side with the posters and say no Burke just to piss him off (I think he lurks here).
JerseyWave
Riptide

We have less than 10 days left in Tulane's football season. Ms. Burke better have a list together because CJ must be fired. She also better have a list ready for a Volleyball coach too. The next two weeks should be very interesting.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

We have less than 10 days left in Tulane's football season. Ms. Burke better have a list together because CJ must be fired.
Would you be interested in Les Miles?

Tulane hires Les and recruits like crazy and averages 9 wins/yr and use Les's Big12 contacts to get an invite to the Big12. LSU doesn't have to pay the buyout and we have enough money to get Chip Kelly, Art Briles, Gary Patterson, or whomever we want. It is a win-win.

ETA: To sweeten deal we will even pay CJ's buyout and the cost of converting Yulman to grass so Les does not get hungry during games. Deal?
DrBox
Riptide

Comments that the athletic department employees don't like her can be construed as a positive...they at least suggest she's not a Dickson sycophant. And I know there are a lot of good people there, but a little housecleaning is probably in order.
She was a good identifier of coaches at E Illinois - hired Babers, and I think his replacement as well. Her basketball hire has a CIT; kind of conroy-esque, but at least she got that in her first try, versus 4th for Dickson. And then there is Pierce (unconfirmed).
I think MD is right -there's nothing in her background that suggests that she can't run a capable athletic department.
That said, the real goal is P5. Does she have the chops for that? The connections? The vision? And even if she can hire good coaches, she will need to delegate much of that as she takes a CEO role.
And of course, I am pretty sure a national search would turn up more able candidates.

As for Les Miles, no we need a coach with more energy. He's 60 and has what he needs. Everyone knows that you can go 9-2 at LSU just by locking down La recruiting. Saban did that, Miles did that and they did a little more (Miles locked down NOLA, something LSU had never been able to do). But Saban and Sumlin put some cracks in it. Decades earlier, Charlie Mac had locked down in La (except for NOLA) and was 9-2 every year, but when Tulane got serious in the late 60s, they knocked some small cracks into it by the early 70s, and it showed. Others came in and LSU never got it back until Saban (close with Arnsparger, but he was also a heck of a game coach).
alumniwave
Low Tide

Look how long she's been doing this job. She has connections. I know for certain she has very close Big 12 and ACC ties. Also, being a female gets her at the head of the line in many meetings and consideration from other AD groups looking for deversity. Not many females to compete with in the AD world.
DrBox
Riptide

Well the fans would be aghast if she is hired.
BUT the timing works out well for her. Because she has a chance to gain instant credibility by addressing the football situation. But if she doesn't....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here's what would disturb me about hiring Burke or someone with ties to the current administration. They know the self imposed obstacles this athletic dept faces vs other schools and if hired it would tell most that he or she is ok with them and business as usual. A more qualified outside candidate would likely see these obstacles and walk away if they still exist or demand they change before accepting the job. This search is starting to look so similar to what we had for the football search. Hiring someone outside would demonstrate that perhaps Tulane is willing to do the things necessary to compete for championships. This is a disturbing quote from Dave Benedict the current COO at Auburn that interviewed for the Tulane job:
"Knowing that every morning when you wake up that you have the resources and support to win a national championship is different,” Benedict said in an exclusive interview with AuburnUndercover. “There aren’t a lot of schools that have that opportunity. That is something I wanted.”
If we end up with an insider then expect more of the same. Like anyone hired at Tulane I will support and hope for the best. I just find it hard to believe Burke is the best available candidate after doing a so called national search. It leads me to believe Tulane isn't going to change what's needed to compete for a national championship.
The word is some don't like her management style. She's labeled a micro manager. Meetings every morning. Surveys every week. This type of stuff. Some believe it's not productive. Remember she's connected to the Saints in the sense that she and Sean Payton both have ties to Eastern Il. Payton pushed for her here as he pushed CJ here. So do you really think she's going to fire CJ on her first day on the job with the Sean Payton connection? The best thing we can hope for is for RD to have the balls to fire him since he hired him and then let Burke if she's named AD in the waiting hire the next coach.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Well the fans would be aghast if she is hired.
BUT the timing works out well for her. Because she has a chance to gain instant credibility by addressing the football situation. But if she doesn't....
1. If the new AD (Burke or whomever it maybe) fires CJ and makes a decent hire the fans will shut up for awhile. If the new AD fires CJ and Conroy and makes good to decent hires the fans will shut up for good.
2. If the new AD doesn't then Yulman will the new hot study spot on saturdays in the fall.
3. That is why it is critical that Tulane makes a hire before the end of football season and gives the new hire the ability to hire and fire coaches right away.
Jaxwave
Swell

Thy can't give updates because they fear it will become obvious that they have been turned down so many times it would be embarrassing. This fear will lead to a quick hire to anyone that will actually accept the position. Does that sound familiar? I will be shocked if Burke is not named the AD in the next couple of weeks. So the last two major hires from our "national searches" have led to the hiring of a coach 4 miles away and an AD already on campus. Only at Tulane. Tulane's definition of national is a 4 mile radius. And we expect P5 conference to come calling. We will be lucky to stay in the AAC. Wrd is the next basketball hire will be from the NO prep ranks, but it must be from one of the high schools within that 4 mile radius to save on gas money during the search. Doug Hertz, would you run our business that way?
Last edited by Jaxwave on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:Thy can't give updates because they fear they may get turned down so many times that the process lingers for weeks. This fear will lead to a quick hire to anyone that will actually accept the position. Does that sound familiar? I will be shocked if Burke is not named the AD in the next couple of weeks. So the last two major hires from our "national searches" have led to the hiring of a coach 4 miles away and an AD already on campus. Only at Tulane. And we expect P5 conference to come calling. We will be lucky t stay in the AAC.
My thoughts exactly.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

If Burke is hired I'm officially done with Tulane. She WILL NOT fire CJ book it.
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: So do you really think she's going to fire CJ on her first day on the job with the Sean Payton connection? The best thing we can hope for is for RD to have the balls to fire him since he hired him and then let Burke if she's named AD in the waiting hire the next coach.
I don't know about all that. But I would say that it would be easy to dress up. Just have him resign and join Payton in Dallas next season.

You're points are very valid about business as usual.

FWIW, I think she would fire CJ because I think that she knows she has to to gain credibility.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

The hiring of Burke will sent such a disturbing message to the long suffering fans that nothing has changed. I truly believe that even if Burke does all the right things and turns out to be a good hire it won't matter with the remaining fan base. Tulane must go outside with this hire and immediate sweeping changes need to take place immediately without this it will appear its business as usual whether that is actually the truth.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

What a mess.
TU23
High Tide

At this point, the AD search can be labeled a fiasco. All I can hope for is that whoever gets the job fires CJ and somehow stumbles into a good coaching hire.

In other news, I'm also hoping to win the lottery.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Mandeville Wave wrote:The hiring of Burke will sent such a disturbing message to the long suffering fans that nothing has changed. I truly believe that even if Burke does all the right things and turns out to be a good hire it won't matter with the remaining fan base. Tulane must go outside with this hire and immediate sweeping changes need to take place immediately without this it will appear its business as usual whether that is actually the truth.
That's right. No competent organization would make an internal hire simply for the appearances. Tulane is the only organization I've ever seen that seems to think public relations or how your customers/constituents feel about you is completely irrelevant.
sader24
Tsunami

So let me get this straight. Some of you want to look at our completely incompetent Athletic Department and in the biggest hire that could signify a change from the horrendous way we do things you want to internally hire an employee that was hired by either Scott Cowen or Rick Dickson?? The Athletic Dept employees I have spoken to desperately want a change in the Athletic Department. They fully realized how dysfunctional it is and want someone to come in from somewhere else and completely change the culture. They believe Burke is Dickson Light and nothing will change.
JTLiuzza
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:What a mess.
That about sums it up right there. That should be the official slogan: "Tulane University Athletics - What a Mess" Either that or; "Tulane University Athletics - Can You Believe This Sh!t?" :lol:
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Greenwave41
Trickle

Scott Sidwell would be an unbelievable get. Sidwell has experience in a power 5 football school and has experience at the top of an athletic department. Sidwell has NFL ties and brings instant credibility. His strength is football and we need him now.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Greenwave41 wrote:Scott Sidwell would be an unbelievable get. Sidwell has experience in a power 5 football school and has experience at the top of an athletic department. Sidwell has NFL ties and brings instant credibility. His strength is football and we need him now.

LOL Thanks Scott!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!