Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TU23
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Tulane has to wait to get THEIR right candidate. That is after all other AD jobs are filled so they can get the guy passed over by all the other schools who will accept the Tulane job for a bottom of the barrel salary. That is the Tulane model. Most successful schools have a model that looks like Christie Brinkley, ours looks like Phyllis Diller. Google her you young whippersnappers.

An absolute classic quote--thanks Jaxwave.
I think the Tulane model is a YUGO compared to everyone else's PORSCHE
It's a bike. Not even a good one. A 10 speed.

sader24
Tsunami

The problem here is that nobody at the University with any authority truly understands Athletics and has no clue about Athletics at this level. Their are several people that post on both boards that understand major athletics better than those we have making these decisions. Other institutions are moving at warp speed while we meander along looking for people that fit our broken way of doing things instead of looking for someone to come in here and break the Tulane mold. We need someone to come in here with authority to completely change the way our Athletic Department operates. We need to understand that our way of doing things in Athletics does not work and we need someone who knows how it works to come in here and change the culture from top to bottom.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:The problem here is that nobody at the University with any authority truly understands Athletics and has no clue about Athletics at this level. Their are several people that post on both boards that understand major athletics better than those we have making these decisions. Other institutions are moving at warp speed while we meander along looking for people that fit our broken way of doing things instead of looking for someone to come in here and break the Tulane mold. We need someone to come in here with authority to completely change the way our Athletic Department operates. We need to understand that our way of doing things in Athletics does not work and we need someone who knows how it works to come in here and change the culture from top to bottom.
Good points. They may need to first change the culture of the Board to make good things happen.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

sader24 wrote: We need someone to come in here with authority to completely change the way our Athletic Department operates. We need to understand that our way of doing things in Athletics does not work and we need someone who knows how it works to come in here and change the culture from top to bottom.
That's absolutely correct.
Hopefully this committee actually does understand that.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
sader24 wrote: We need someone to come in here with authority to completely change the way our Athletic Department operates. We need to understand that our way of doing things in Athletics does not work and we need someone who knows how it works to come in here and change the culture from top to bottom.
So you think the athletic department needs a nuclear level overhaul, but aren't even sure the university decision makers understand as much, and also don't think there is a big problem here? We seem to agree on the problem.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dan White or Arnie Fielkow and we can turn it around, but anyway you look at it, they will never agree to a flood of JUCOS. We tried that under Gibson and Fitts will be reminded it was widely rumored at the time our best full back, a JUCO, was an illiterate.
greenphantom
Swell

TU23 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Tulane has to wait to get THEIR right candidate. That is after all other AD jobs are filled so they can get the guy passed over by all the other schools who will accept the Tulane job for a bottom of the barrel salary. That is the Tulane model. Most successful schools have a model that looks like Christie Brinkley, ours looks like Phyllis Diller. Google her you young whippersnappers.

An absolute classic quote--thanks Jaxwave.
I think the Tulane model is a YUGO compared to everyone else's PORSCHE
It's a bike. Not even a good one. A 10 speed.
The bike doesn't even have a seat on it. It hurts like hell.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:The problem here is that nobody at the University with any authority truly understands Athletics and has no clue about Athletics at this level. Their are several people that post on both boards that understand major athletics better than those we have making these decisions. Other institutions are moving at warp speed while we meander along looking for people that fit our broken way of doing things instead of looking for someone to come in here and break the Tulane mold. We need someone to come in here with authority to completely change the way our Athletic Department operates. We need to understand that our way of doing things in Athletics does not work and we need someone who knows how it works to come in here and change the culture from top to bottom.
This well articulates a few very very very significant problems.

While it does appear to be the case that "there is nobody at the University with any authority truly understands Athletics and has no clue about Athletics at this level", this does not make the situation any less unacceptable and/or illegal. Tulane University is an organization with an $800M/year budget and a $B endowment. Athletics is a major, major program at the university. Systematic incompetence, and a longstanding insistence on not changing anything or holding anyone accountable, isn't a viable outcome. You can't both have horrible results AND continue to insist that no one is held accountable. There are Board Members who have a legal responsibility to Tulane stakeholders to know if the athletics administration is incompetent.

As many wannabe lawyer posters have pointed out, legally it's almost impossible to prove a breach of fiduciary duty because anyone can claim "business judgment", or "I thought it was the right thing to do". But "I had no idea the athletic director was incompetent" might not cross that bar.

As others have said, only at Tulane.
greenphantom
Swell

Wave755 wrote:Dan White or Arnie Fielkow and we can turn it around, but anyway you look at it, they will never agree to a flood of JUCOS. We tried that under Gibson and Fitts will be reminded it was widely rumored at the time our best full back, a JUCO, was an illiterate.
I think we should go after the ADs at UTSA and ULL. Don't you agree? :mrgreen:
greenphantom
Swell

Wave755
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Dan White or Arnie Fielkow and we can turn it around, but anyway you look at it, they will never agree to a flood of JUCOS. We tried that under Gibson and Fitts will be reminded it was widely rumored at the time our best full back, a JUCO, was an illiterate.
And Larry Coker for new Tulane head coach since he has led UTSA to 1-8 this year; and yes, he will "stay." :lolgreen:
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
So you think the athletic department needs a nuclear level overhaul, but aren't even sure the university decision makers understand as much, and also don't think there is a big problem here? We seem to agree on the problem.
When did I ever say we don't? When did I ever say that Dickson is anything other than an inept manager of an athletic department?
What I haven't said (and don't believe) is that Cowen is still controlling everything from his basement with his finger on the big red button.
How do I know whether this committee finally gets it? They haven't done anything that is publicly known yet. I judge by actions.
DrBox
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:
LOL
I'd rather Burke or Sidwell over ULL's AD. And not because I can't stand the ULL fanbase. It's because he's just not a good AD.

Re Jucos, I agree. We aren't going there en masse. There are other ways to skin the cat. Get the IPF built, and raise recruiting budgets to allow more out of state recruiting...and beyond Texas and Georgia where we have no competitive advantage.
wave97
Swell

Most of the California JUCOS worked out great. Two outstanding QB's come to mind who were capable of reading the Sunday Editorials and one of the most enigmatic & athletic o-lineman I've ever seen who just decided to walk away from campus during the Wally English to Mack Brown purge.
I can only have faith in President Fitts & the committee to make the right decision here as I have zilch to offer in identifying effective admin types.
Have I ever mentioned Ed Orgeron? Let me tell you....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The basketball point shaving scandal in 1985 led to unintended consequences that hurt football as they were meant to rein in so called "perceived" basketball problems. A few of these changes still remain today. No PE and Tulane "self imposed" restrictions on accepting JUCO's. JUCO's today can only transfer if they were originally eligible to be accepted at Tulane and if admitted many classes from JUCO's rarely transfer. Add Tulane's self imposed higher than NCAA admission standards and we have rarely played on an equal field. These are some of the "inherent challenges" that have been self imposed on the athletic dept over the years. At least the Tulane self imposed higher than NCAA admission requirements has been relaxed. However no PE and higher JUCO admission standards still remain in place today 30 years later. Personally if I were in charge I'd bring back PE and allow at least 10-12 unrestricted JUCO's on the 85 man roster per year. That immediately would allow football to catch up. Many lineman could be plugged in. And for basketball I would allow 3 unrestricted JC's to be carried on that roster per year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
And Larry Coker for new Tulane head coach since he has led UTSA to 1-8 this year; and yes, he will "stay." :lolgreen:
For the purposes of keeping some who wish to become informed and other's reading enjoyment
UTSA Athletic Directror Bio
biohttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s ... UCQKtgm_8g ir

LA-LAF Athletic Director bio
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... F5fFZqYiQw

Larry Coker bio
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... di_ukN0TmA
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bham Wave
Ripple

While the JUCO debate has been going on for years I really thought CJ was on to something early during his tenure by bringing in graduate transfers. I thought that CJ was a guy with a lot of connections throughout the college game and could get those graduate school players from the big P5 school who hasn't played much and wants a chance to see the field. It worked great with Johnson the long snapper in year 1 and Davenport the DT in year 2. He also brought in that DE from LSU in year 2 that played a little before getting hurt. Since then we have brought in none. I think we should be using this rule as much as we can. How nice would it be to have an extra WR on the team who has experience.

Another thing we haven't done is look at the Prep schools. You are basically recruiting a kid who is a year older that the HS seniors coming out and you can find some "late bloomers" We recruited some in VA a while back but none since. Warmsley went to Army prep school before coming here. Again, this isn't the JUCO route but it is a way to get some older players into the program.
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote:
Most of the California JUCOS worked out great. Two outstanding QB's come to mind who were capable of reading the Sunday Editorials and one of the most enigmatic & athletic o-lineman I've ever seen who just decided to walk away from campus during the Wally English to Mack Brown purge.
I can only have faith in President Fitts & the committee to make the right decision here as I have zilch to offer in identifying effective admin types.
JUCO Mike McKay was great, no doubt about it, and a smart guy. I would think McKay could still play for us today under the present JUCO rules?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wasn't Nick Montana from a JUCO?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Wasn't Nick Montana from a JUCO?
Correct...I think he originally signed with Washington out of High School
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
wave97 wrote:
JUCO Mike McKay was great, no doubt about it, and a smart guy. I would think McKay could still play for us today under the present JUCO rules?
Let's not forget David McLaughlin, he was a hell of a QB and a great guy. He and Ken Karcher went head to head during Wally's final year and Mack's first.
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Wasn't Nick Montana from a JUCO?
Correct...I think he originally signed with Washington out of High School
Yes, qualified out of High School.
California JUCO (and may cali juco players are qualified...reason? Not as many FCS per capita).

Yes, CJ went after transfers early.

Yes, he quit doing all of the above.
Kind of like his replacement of coaches and cutting short spring practice and holding it early to get it over with.
JTLiuzza
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Personally if I were in charge I'd bring back PE and allow at least 10-12 unrestricted JUCO's on the 85 man roster per year. That immediately would allow football to catch up
I agree. And this is the stroke of a pen and definitely not one of those "inherent challenges" Goldring will never define. Attracting a decent head coach would get a lot easier as well.

Added on edit:

The "stroke of a pen" comment was a little flippant. There are constituencies to consider and the political considerations internal to any organization. You have to persuade and sell your vision sure. But sometimes when you've exhausted that you may have to use other methods, knowing you're going to end up ruffling feathers and even alienating certain sectors of the community. Just depends on how important the initiative is and how much combat and blow back the head guy is willing to endure to see it through. That's why CEO's make good money. Cowen didn't bother with persuasion on engineering, Newcomb...

Neither did he bother on football. Cowen's "vision" was to dismantle FBS football. His method was to do it like a sneak, knowing that he would have the board and the faculty in his corner. He knew the students by and large would be indifferent. He'd only have to deal with the irate constituencies after the toothpaste was already out of the tube: the handful of alums and fans that actually still gave a crap. Peanuts. He underestimated.

How about now? It seems to me we know where the board is, or at least Goldring vis a vis his idiotic remarks. Is Fitt's a president or a functionary? Personally I think he's a kool aid guy. I don't see him radically changing course. Of course I'm cynical after too many years of watching this clown show. We'll see I suppose.
Last edited by JTLiuzza on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

greenphantom wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: I can't believe you actually dug up a picture of Phyllis Diller on a bike.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
posse
High Tide

If Tulane does what tpstulane stated, and applies the NCAA academic standards across the board, then they are finally SERIOUS about athletics.......ANYTHING LESS, means we will continue down the Tulane Model path, and they lose what remaining fans they have...........We can only hope & pray they make the right decision this time......