DICKSON RETIRING MAY 2016

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Whoever we hire I do not want him or her to use it as a stepping stone to a higher ranked university.
What fatalistic thinking. Hire the candidate that will be so outstanding that he/she will be highly sought by all universities.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Way past time.

This will not be good news if Barbara Burke is handed the job. That will just be a continuation of the failed small time policies of athletics at Tulane.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
sader24 wrote:Call me crazy but it seems pretty obvious to me that they brought in Barbara Burke to take over this role. I bet they promote from within and business as usual continues.
They will have no choice but to do a search, the pressure will be insurmountable!!! It won't be Burke. :)
I would think that the American Athletic Conference would expect a rigorous search and an interviewing process which includes several capable candidates including a minority candidate.
Burke has that equal opportunity box checked already.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:Whoever we hire I do not want him or her to use it as a stepping stone to a higher ranked university. Please keep Rick Dickson completely out of the interview and hiring process!
Chris Scelfo is your man.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Whoever we hire I do not want him or her to use it as a stepping stone to a higher ranked university.
What fatalistic thinking. Hire the candidate that will be so outstanding that he/she will be highly sought by all universities.
The same mentality that said no to RR in 1998 since he was "too good for the job." Hopefully the hiring of David Pierce for baseball has finally broken this "mindset" once & for all. :D
GreenLantern
Riptide

Just received this email:
Dear Green Wave Fans,

I wanted to let you know that I am retiring at the end of this academic year. I informed President Mike Fitts yesterday that I felt this was a good time to begin my transition away from Tulane to a life of leisure!

My 16 years at Tulane have been some of the best of my life. Meeting friends and fans of the Green Wave all over the country has been wonderful. The love and affection you have for this school is remarkable and I am humbled and appreciative that I’ve been able to spend 16 great years here.

It is hard to say goodbye, but the time just feels right for Brenda and me to embark on the next chapter in our lives. However, I will be here for the next nine months and there are still lots of things left on my to do list!

I am looking forward to saying goodbye to many of you personally as we root for the Greenies in the coming months.

As always and forever, Roll Wave!

Rick Dickson
Director of Athletics - Tulane University
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Just received this email:
Dear Green Wave Fans,

I wanted to let you know that I am retiring at the end of this academic year. I informed President Mike Fitts yesterday that I felt this was a good time to begin my transition away from Tulane to a life of leisure!

My 16 years at Tulane have been some of the best of my life. Meeting friends and fans of the Green Wave all over the country has been wonderful. The love and affection you have for this school is remarkable and I am humbled and appreciative that I’ve been able to spend 16 great years here.

It is hard to say goodbye, but the time just feels right for Brenda and me to embark on the next chapter in our lives. However, I will be here for the next nine months and there are still lots of things left on my to do list!

I am looking forward to saying goodbye to many of you personally as we root for the Greenies in the coming months.

As always and forever, Roll Wave!

Rick Dickson
Director of Athletics - Tulane University
What does he call the last 16 years? If that wasn't the life of leisure it doesn't exist.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Happy day! Hopefully the dark cloud is lifting from the Wilson Center and Gibson.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
JerseyWave
Riptide

This is the best news from Tulane this century. I will make a donation the day Rick Dickson is no longer the AD! This is great news. Now form a search committee with Tulanians that want to see this Athletic Department move to the next level.
msdos
Swell

Hope I'm wrong.

I won't be.

phpBB [video]
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'm celebrating bought a $500 brick!
Hope Tulane gets this hire right.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenGears
Low Tide

Shoot. I just accepted a job in Washington D.C. Surely my Tulane athletics records on my PS3 would have made me a top contender for AD.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Call me crazy but it seems pretty obvious to me that they brought in Barbara Burke to take over this role. I bet they promote from within and business as usual continues.
This is the pretty obvious answer. Which would also make it true that Scott Cowen hired our next AD.

<gets popcorn>
nawlinspete
Riptide

Who says harping on firing Dickson daily for years doesn't pay off ?

Hopefully when he met with President Fitts Dickson was told resign or be fired; as ordered by a B of A now invested in bringing Tulane athletics up to Top 41 status also.

With a proper search and the correct hire dare we hope for 1949 and prior Tulane athletics when football games between Notre Dame and Tulane were called games of the decade ?

Our voices must remain loud and we must do everything possible to assure that the search is real. A great second step would be the immediate firing of the Cowens.

We played a part; we must carry through the entire process.

Roll Wave

Edit: Considering that Dickson was allegedly a serious candidate for the Syracuse AD job a few months ago it is really odd that he now wants to retire. The more I think about it the more I believe he was told to retire or be fired by the B of A and President Fitts.

Has to be a good omen for future success !

Roll Wave
Last edited by nawlinspete on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:This certainly might place a little more pressure on Messrs. Johnson and Conroy for winning seasons. A new AD might actually place some importance on wins and losses.

We need to induce Dickson to step aside now and allow the process to begin immediately. It does neither Tulane or Dickson any good to allow the cancer to hang on through May, 2016. None.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
sader24
Tsunami

I really hope that we look for someone with deep and extensive experience in Athletic Departments that have won in Big Time SOUTHERN Football. SEC, Major ACC Schools, etc. We need someone younger and energetic that will stand up to the Board and President and fight for what's best for the Athletic Department. We need someone who understands Big Time Southern Football and Big Time Athletics as a whole. We need someone who is crazy enough to believe that Tulane can and should Win and Win Big. We need someone who above all else holds everyone within the Athletic Department including Coaches accountable for their performance. Whether Barbara Burke is good or not, they CANNOT hire her. This needs to be someone who will come in from the outside and bring a whole new direction and way of doing things to this University. Hiring Barbara Burke will signal business as usual and p*ss off what few fans we have left. That being said, I think they brought in Burke because Dickson had a timetable and wanted to train his new replacement and get her acclimated to the job. I think they hire Burke.
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:This certainly might place a little more pressure on Messrs. Johnson and Conroy for winning seasons. A new AD might actually place some importance on wins and losses.

We need to induce Dickson to step aside now and allow the process to begin immediately. It does neither Tulane or Dickson any good to allow the cancer to hang on through May, 2016. None.
Roll Wave
glennc
Low Tide

Time for a beer to celebrate
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:I really hope that we look for someone with deep and extensive experience in Athletic Departments that have won in Big Time SOUTHERN Football. SEC, Major ACC Schools, etc. We need someone younger and energetic that will stand up to the Board and President and fight for what's best for the Athletic Department. We need someone who understands Big Time Southern Football and Big Time Athletics as a whole. We need someone who is crazy enough to believe that Tulane can and should Win and Win Big. We need someone who above all else holds everyone within the Athletic Department including Coaches accountable for their performance. Whether Barbara Burke is good or not, they CANNOT hire her. This needs to be someone who will come in from the outside and bring a whole new direction and way of doing things to this University. Hiring Barbara Burke will signal business as usual and p*ss off what few fans we have left. That being said, I think they brought in Burke because Dickson had a timetable and wanted to train his new replacement and get her acclimated to the job. I think they hire Burke.
Sader... I think you are correct... I think Burke will be promoted... Fitts will rave about the great job she has done.. and then will add the nail in the coffin by saying ...."By working with Rick Dickson, she knows the Tulane model, and the (low) expectations we truly have"
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Forever TU
Surge

How about we, Gee I dunno, give this a chance before we all conclude its Burke. Smdh
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:Who says harping on firing Dickson daily for years doesn't pay off ?

Hopefully when he met with President Fitts Dickson was told resign or be fired; as ordered by a B of A now invested in bringing Tulane athletics up to Top 41 status also.

With a proper search and the correct hire dare we hope for 1949 and prior Tulane athletics when football games between Notre Dame and Tulane were called games of the decade ?

Our voices must remain loud and we must do everything possible to assure that the search is real. A great second step would be the immediate firing of the Cowens.

We played a part; we must carry through the entire process.

Roll Wave
No we didn't. Kushner made it clear that this was Dickson's decision alone. You know he's made a pretty fair amount of money in the past 16 years so now that he feels like financially he can have the retirement he wants, he's decided to take a victory lap. Only Cowen is high enough up to give up the day job but keep collecting the paychecks.

The name may change, but so far all is being conveyed as business as usual. If you think someone is coming in to change directions you are kidding yourself. The new AD will be "told" that football has been fixed and the athletic village is next.This job search will likely turn out exactly like all our football and basketball coaching searches for the exact same reason. Which is why even if they do a national search, it will likely end up Burke.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:I really hope that we look for someone with deep and extensive experience in Athletic Departments that have won in Big Time SOUTHERN Football. SEC, Major ACC Schools, etc. We need someone younger and energetic that will stand up to the Board and President and fight for what's best for the Athletic Department. We need someone who understands Big Time Southern Football and Big Time Athletics as a whole. We need someone who is crazy enough to believe that Tulane can and should Win and Win Big. We need someone who above all else holds everyone within the Athletic Department including Coaches accountable for their performance. Whether Barbara Burke is good or not, they CANNOT hire her. This needs to be someone who will come in from the outside and bring a whole new direction and way of doing things to this University. Hiring Barbara Burke will signal business as usual and p*ss off what few fans we have left. That being said, I think they brought in Burke because Dickson had a timetable and wanted to train his new replacement and get her acclimated to the job. I think they hire Burke.
Sader... I think you are correct... I think Burke will be promoted... Fitts will elude the great job she has done.. and then will add the nail in the coffin by saying ...."By working with Rick Dickson, she knows the Tulane model, and the (low) expectations we truly have"
You are making a joke, but that's exactly what will happen. They won't say "low expectations". They will say "she knows how we do things" or something similar without the slightest shred of self awareness to realize that the way they do things is horribly horribly broken.
sader24
Tsunami

Bc I dunno, we've been watching this University operate for 50-60 years and know how they do stuff. Bc I dunno they didn't fire Dickson they let him make his own timetable. Bc I dunno they brought in Burke with Dickson already knowing his timetable and she left her previous job as an AD likely with a promise in hand about the future. Bc I dunno Fitts doesn't appear to get it in regards to Athletics and probably thinks we're headed in the right direction. Seems fairly obvious to me. The Presideny and University think he's leaving as a hero which means they want to keep the status quo in place. If he was fired it would be a different story.
sader24
Tsunami

What some of you aren't taking into account is that they already conducted the search for a new AD 2 years ago and hired Barbara Burke.
Bigschtick
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:

Exactly, show the bum the door!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!