Hypothetically speaking...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Let's just say you get hired as the Athletic Director of Newlane University and your first order of business is to hire a football coach. Who do you have on your short list. Short list to me is 10 candidates or less.

Here is mine in no particular order.

1. Bo Pelini - Former head coach at Nebraska. Current head coach at Youngstown State - in 7 seasons at Nebraska he never won less than 9 games. Was a coach at LSU so knows something about recruiting down south.

2. Mark Hudspeth - his record at ULL speaks for itself. He can recruit Louisiana.

3. Ed Orgeron - Not the best overall record in 3 years at Ole Miss but did go 6-2 at USC in the 8 games he was the head man. Can definitely put a quality staff together and recruit Louisiana.

4. Mack Brown - Because it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. Tony Franklin - Cal Offensive coordinator. This man knows offenses and could bring Garret Chachere (Tulane alum and former Tulane assistant) with him as Garret is currently on the Cal staff.

6. Ron Roberts - Current head coach at Southeastern - he wins games and knows how to manage a program.

7. Skip Holtz - Head coach at La Tech. Has had success at UCONN, ECU, USF and now La Tech.

8. Major Applewhite - Current OC at Houston with stints at Texas and Alabama. From Baton Rouge.

9. Buddy Teevens - Because I loved that commercial about the Buddy System and would love to bring it back.

10. Tommy Bowden - Same as Mack, it can't hurt to ask.

Thoughts? comments? Your "short" list?

My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
Hornetswave
Low Tide

Gregg Williams former Saints asst coach.
nawlinspete
Riptide

For results... Bo Pellini.

For results... Archie and Eli Manning.

For laughs... Mike Ditka. Mike would pack Yulman with 'boos' the first few games.

There are undoubtedly "relatively unknowns' who would be good, too. I'd stay away from those already employed by other Louisiana football teams, except for Sean Peyton.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
ajcalhoun
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Let's just say you get hired as the Athletic Director of Newlane University and your first order of business is to hire a football coach. Who do you have on your short list. Short list to me is 10 candidates or less.

Here is mine in no particular order.

1. Bo Pelini - Former head coach at Nebraska. Current head coach at Youngstown State - in 7 seasons at Nebraska he never won less than 9 games. Was a coach at LSU so knows something about recruiting down south.

2. Mark Hudspeth - his record at ULL speaks for itself. He can recruit Louisiana.

3. Ed Orgeron - Not the best overall record in 3 years at Ole Miss but did go 6-2 at USC in the 8 games he was the head man. Can definitely put a quality staff together and recruit Louisiana.

4. Mack Brown - Because it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. Tony Franklin - Cal Offensive coordinator. This man knows offenses and could bring Garret Chachere (Tulane alum and former Tulane assistant) with him as Garret is currently on the Cal staff.

6. Ron Roberts - Current head coach at Southeastern - he wins games and knows how to manage a program.

7. Skip Holtz - Head coach at La Tech. Has had success at UCONN, ECU, USF and now La Tech.

8. Major Applewhite - Current OC at Houston with stints at Texas and Alabama. From Baton Rouge.

9. Buddy Teevens - Because I loved that commercial about the Buddy System and would love to bring it back.

10. Tommy Bowden - Same as Mack, it can't hurt to ask.

Thoughts? comments? Your "short" list?
Roberts and Applewhite might answer the phone. None of the others would consider us under our present regime.
God Bless Everyone!
Dave breslin
Swell

How about Scott Cowen. He saved New Orleans
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

The problem is that you can't play this game, hypothetically, without also filtering for coaches who would be willing to work under the Tulane Model.

That list won't include any coaches worth mentioning.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Dave breslin wrote:How about Scott Cowen. He saved New Orleans
Wish I'd said that. Brilliant.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
COChip
Low Tide

It's amazing how these MAC schools can find these good young coaches but Tulane has to look on the scrap heap or 50-plus year old career position coaches.
Dupergreenie
Surge

nawlinspete wrote:For results... Bo Pellini.

For laughs... Mike Ditka. Mike would pack Yulman with 'boos' the first few games.

There are undoubtedly "relatively unknowns' who would be good, too. I'd stay away from those already employed by other Louisiana football teams, except for Sean Peyton.
Go to bed Jonathan you are either drunk or dumb... I suspect dumb.
Dave breslin
Swell

Let's get serious. Here are a few of my picks to get this poopoo operation moving upwards. For AD I'd get Terry Fletrich. She ran a more disciplined show on Little Miss Muffin TV show. Vic Schiro for OC. He'd call out the marines when things got tough and looked bleak. And for head coach---Al Scramuzza. He'd get the team dancing in sync. Wayne Mack as the bees knees prez. This will only make sense to you old dudes out there. P S. Too much bourbon watching this game today
Show Me
Tsunami

Dupergreenie wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:For results... Bo Pellini.

Go to bed Jonathan you are either drunk or dumb... I suspect dumb.
:lol: :lol: :lol: or both.
TURVS71
Swell

Dave breslin wrote:Let's get serious. Here are a few of my picks to get this poopoo operation moving upwards. For AD I'd get Terry Fletrich. She ran a more disciplined show on Little Miss Muffin TV show. Vic Schiro for OC. He'd call out the marines when things got tough and looked bleak. And for head coach---Al Scramuzza. He'd get the team dancing in sync. Wayne Mack as the bees knees prez. This will only make sense to you old dudes out there. P S. Too much bourbon watching this game today
Stop being so F-ing stupid and try and contribute something or just vent.... We have enough stupidity on the field and in the Wilson Center. :!: :roll:
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

COChip wrote:It's amazing how these MAC schools can find these good young coaches but Tulane has to look on the scrap heap or 50-plus year old career position coaches.
No. It's not "amazing". It's obvious. Good coaches want to work for competent leadership that will give them the tools to succeed. Tulane does not operate by that playbook, does not judge by wins and losses.
Dave breslin
Swell

Hey turn. Go fuck yourself
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Frank Solich .... Franchionne......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Greg Schiano......A Jersey Guy who built Rutgers into a respectable program. Was D coordinator at Miami under Butch Davis, worked for the Glazers in Tampa Bay.
Dupergreenie
Surge

I say we pick Jonathan/nawlins pete/Savacool as coach. Since they are the same person Tulane could save a bunch of money and have him be multiple coaches since he is multiple handles on forums.
DrBox
Riptide

I'll take Brown out of those on Law's list. (well I'd take Hudspeth too, but he'd cost a ton; and actually more than he's worth).
He struggled at Texas his last few years, but still was able to get good young assistants. And hiring assistants would be key as they would do basically all of the coaching and recruiting. He held onto Davis way too long, but he's aware enough.
Would he come? It has nothing to do with the "Model" as we're letting in players with modest academic credentials as anyone who bother to actually use facts would know. He liked it here - left on good terms. I'm sure he'd demand some necessary facilities improvements (and I'd want him to) such as locker and meeting rooms. Winning here would be quite a boost to his legacy. It would require a strong budget, but not for him so much as for everything else.
Of course having Oklahoma on the schedule might scare him off :D
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote:I'll take Brown...Of course having Oklahoma on the schedule might scare him off :D
God Bless Everyone!
sader24
Tsunami

There is no fixing this problem until Dickson is gone. Everyone from both forums needs to turn all of our energies to getting him fired. No coach worth a sh*t will ever come here until the Athletic Department is under new leadership. Now if I was Dickson? I'd fire CJ Monday.
Bigschtick
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:
Dave breslin wrote:Let's get serious. Here are a few of my picks to get this poopoo operation moving upwards. For AD I'd get Terry Fletrich. She ran a more disciplined show on Little Miss Muffin TV show. Vic Schiro for OC. He'd call out the marines when things got tough and looked bleak. And for head coach---Al Scramuzza. He'd get the team dancing in sync. Wayne Mack as the bees knees prez. This will only make sense to you old dudes out there. P S. Too much bourbon watching this game today
Stop being so F-ing stupid and try and contribute something or just vent.... We have enough stupidity on the field and in the Wilson Center. :!: :roll:

plus 1
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I would hire Brown as AD ... what ever happened to the coach from USF ?...Schianno may be a good pick, lord knows he is not going to put up with any krap from the players..... before any coach worth anything comes to Tulane RD must be gone, I think Brown could bring in the correct guy
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

I would hire brown as AD too. He would be a great fundraiser and he can pick coaches.
OUG
Riptide

We have to solve our current problems with our new head coach. Tulane will NEVER be competitive trying to run a pro-style offense. We need someone that can implement the spread and implement it quickly. We also need a guy who is hungry, can communicate, projects "the future", and has optimism. Coaches burn out quickly, I don't want a retread.

Schools in the AAC have had good turnarounds hiring guys from the OC ranks at big time programs. Guys that are just looking for their first HC job so they can use it as a launching pad to a P5 job. That is what we need.

So, a guy that brings spread principles on offense and is hungry to show that he can be "the man" somewhere. Here is the short list:

Scott Frost - OC at Oregon

Doug Meachham - OC at TCU

Mike Sanford -OC at Notre Dame
puffy
Surge

Scottie Montgomery, Assoc HC and offensive coordinator at Duke:

http://m.goduke.com/mobile/ViewArticle. ... em_id=4200