What is a Realistic Expectation for Tulane Football ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavebacker
Ripple

Given all that encorporates the TU Football program - from support from the school , access to recruits, the competition we face, the facilities we have, the the advantages and obstacles we face across the board what, in your opinion would be reasonable to expect from Tulane's Football program?

My response:
Tulane should be able to field teams that fininsh over .500 most seasons. The team should thus go to a Bowl most seasons. We should have enough talent to compete with just about every team we face on our schedule and should produce a handful of players who make in the NFL. The program should do so while graduating most of it's players with few to no major incidents from players that would embarass the school. A winning TU program should be able to draw close to 30,000 fans for home games, should be able to recruit a handful of 3 Star recruits and a couple 4 Star kids. TU should be able to field teams that feature plenty of Offense and just enough Defense to compete vs most teams on our schedule.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavebacker wrote:Given all that encorporates the TU Football program - from support from the school , access to recruits, the competition we face, the facilities we have, the the advantages and obstacles we face across the board what, in your opinion would be reasonable to expect from Tulane's Football program?

My response:
Tulane should be able to field teams that fininsh over .500 most seasons. The team should thus go to a Bowl most seasons. We should have enough talent to compete with just about every team we face on our schedule and should produce a handful of players who make in the NFL. The program should do so while graduating most of it's players with few to no major incidents from players that would embarass the school. A winning TU program should be able to draw close to 30,000 fans for home games, should be able to recruit a handful of 3 Star recruits and a couple 4 Star kids. TU should be able to field teams that feature plenty of Offense and just enough Defense to compete vs most teams on our schedule.
Ugh. This is bad.

To restate your question, you are asking "Assuming we plan for failure, what is a reasonable expectation?"

How about we plan for success rather than failure? How about we demand some competent leadership?
RWR
Swell

I agree w/JJ.

However, to answer the question I say w/the schedule we play we should win 10-12 games most years and a down year should produce 7-8 wins.
Wavebacker
Ripple

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Wavebacker wrote:Given all that encorporates the TU Football program - from support from the school , access to recruits, the competition we face, the facilities we have, the the advantages and obstacles we face across the board what, in your opinion would be reasonable to expect from Tulane's Football program?

My response:
Ugh. This is bad.

To restate your question, you are asking "Assuming we plan for failure, what is a reasonable expectation?"

How about we plan for success rather than failure? How about we demand some competent leadership?
Those are questions for another thread. What should we reasonably expect from Tulane Football?
JTLiuzza
Swell

With the current state of affairs we should expect exactly what we've been getting. Anybody who expects us to be bowling year in and year out and a perennial conference title contender under the present "model" and leadership will be greatly disappointed more often than not.

What we should really expect from Tulane football is more along the lines of what you laid out as your expectations for the other men's sports. But in order for that expectation to be realistic, radical changes are needed at the most fundamental level of how Tulane approaches intercollegiate athletics. Never going to happen under present leadership, imo.

If we ever got a president who was serious about Tulane football reaching it's potential, we'd all think we died and went to football heaven. I think Tulane football could be as good as the people in control of it want it to be.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavebacker wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

My response:
Ugh. This is bad.

Those are questions for another thread. What should we reasonably expect from Tulane Football?
Not really. We've seen that as the rest of the country ramps up their football programs Tulane falls further and further behind. This has been going on for a decade now. If this keeps up, Tulane will win anywhere from 2-7 games in any given season, depending on the particulars for any given team.

You can see this trend quite clearly for the entire Cowen tenure.
Green Wave
Swell

Wavebacker wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

My response:
Ugh. This is bad.

This is a hard question. As a fan, I want them to win every game. I know this is not possible given the amount of talent we have. Recruitment wise we have made progress. The problem there is so has the rest of CUSA. We will be better in 2011 but the big what is going to happen year will be 2012. That year should see the end of the one two punch Tulane recruitment got from Katrina and a head coach change.

Griffin has skills but if he does not release the ball earlier he will get knocked out of the game and/or get stripped of the ball which will result in more losses. This is where I am confused hence it would be hard for me to expect a whole hell of a lot given that the QB is prone to getting hurt cause he is always getting hit. The O Line looks to be getting some help this year so that is a plus.

Turnovers are crucial to winning. Tulane had a god awful -16 in turnovers in 2009. In 2010, the Wave improved to a not so bad -2. This should get better with a better O line and Darkwa seems to be able to run the ball without coughing it up. I am expecting that to improve even more in 2011.

The Defense sux and it will continue to. The first few games next year they will hold up but as injuries mount the Defense will make a late season flop.

Special Teams are a disaster and I see a lot of sophmores and freshmen playing on them next year. I expect them to be improved enough to stretch the field a bit more in 2011 but not by much.

So I expect we score more points next year and win a few more games enough to go .500 or close to it.
ROLL WAVE!
sader24
Tsunami

Under the current model I don't believe Tulane will have a football team in 10 years. If the University put forth actual effort to win I would expect 8-12 wins every year in the conference we are in. I would say drawing consistently 35-40 with 1 or 2 games a year over 55K. If we cared enough to try in CUSA I can't see us not winning a minimum of 7 games a year. The biggest problem is even if these people decided to try they have no idea what to do. They should hire a Football CZAR and leave all football related decisions to him.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Under the current leadership(?) of Lord Cowen and Court Jester Dickson, I am hopeful that Buffet Bob can muster enough Players to attend the games so we do not have to Forfiet.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

Sadly, this is about all that we can expect under the Cowen/Dickson (LACK of) leadership.

This university has so much potential to consistently attract many Southeast Louisiana people to college games, and it just squanders that away by allowing these two bozos to run things down (and not just in athletics).

01/01/2011 is the start of a new decade in this century. PLEASE give Cowen & Dickson their walking papers now!

golfnut69 wrote:Under the current leadership (?) of Lord Cowen and Court Jester Dickson, I am hopeful that Buffet Bob can muster enough players to attend the games so we do not have to forfeit.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere