Saints Practice at Yulman

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Roll Call. Anyone here plan on going?
I'm on the fence.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Forever TU
Surge

I am. Might not be able to stay the whole time but I plan on going.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

There's the annual event for new and local MBA/law students at Rock n Bowl, I'm out.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:There's the annual event for new and local MBA/law students at Rock n Bowl, I'm out.
I received that for Business grads as well. Thinking about St Paul's vs Rummel a mile away from my house which is at 6pm. So I don't know yet.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Update. The parking plan is in effect based on the agreement with the NIMBY's. There will be parking restrictions on the streets around the stadium. Only the West side of the stadium is going to be available. Tulane is working on the broadcast booth and camera stands on the East side and they don't want people going upstairs because of the construction. Tulane only found out about this on Wed. It was a personal request from Tom Benson.
So this is going to cost Tulane money but its something that could have a positive effect. They will be offering signup deals for season tickets during the practice.
Don't know about concessions or paid parking.
Gates open at 6pm
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Update. The parking plan is in effect based on the agreement with the NIMBY's. There will be parking restrictions on the streets around the stadium. Only the West side of the stadium is going to be available. Tulane is working on the broadcast booth and camera stands on the East side and they don't want people going upstairs because of the construction. Tulane only found out about this on Wed. It was a personal request from Tom Benson.
So this is going to cost Tulane money but its something that could have a positive effect. They will be offering signup deals for season tickets during the practice.
Gates open at 6pm
The original press came out on Tuesday, TU had to have known well before the release. Someone is feeding you excuses. I hope they don;t screw this up.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Update. The parking plan is in effect based on the agreement with the NIMBY's. There will be parking restrictions on the streets around the stadium. Only the West side of the stadium is going to be available. Tulane is working on the broadcast booth and camera stands on the East side and they don't want people going upstairs because of the construction. Tulane only found out about this on Wed. It was a personal request from Tom Benson.
Gates open at 6pm
The original press came out on Tuesday, TU had to have known well before the release. Someone is feeding you excuses. I hope they don;t screw this up.
No. Tulane officials didn't know until Wed morning when Loomis called Dickson and told him Mr Benson wants to practice on Benson Field. Of course he wasn't going to say no. Maybe Payton told CJ before that but the rest of the athletic dept didn't hear about it until Wed. Dickson came out last night and gave us details of how it came about.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bearwave
High Tide

How many folks would it take to sell cokes and hot dogs? If they don't sell concessions they are really missing an opportunity for easy money (granted it wouldn't be a lot but still anything helps). Talking about Big 12, I found out last year that SMG manages the concessions at Baylor's sporting events. One of my neighbors spent all football season last year running the concession and catering at McLane Stadium.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Gates open at 6pm
No. Tulane didn't even know.until Wed morning when Loomis called Dickson and told him Mr Benson wants to practice on Benson Field.
Jonathan's original post was Tuesday, are you insinuating our favorite poster has a direct line to Benson.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Gates open at 6pm
No. Tulane didn't even know.until Wed morning when Loomis called Dickson and told him Mr Benson wants to practice on Benson Field.
Jonathan's original post was Tuesday, are you insinuating our favorite poster has a direct line to Benson.
Not at all. I heard it Tuesday evening as well. But this came up in short notice. The Saints didn't officially get with Dickson until Wed morning. They probably didn't think it would be a big deal I guess since we use their IPF all the time. Tulane owes it to the Saints and Benson to accommodate them as much as necessary. Tulane is still doing construction work inside to prepare for Thursday nights opener.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Channel 4 Sports at 6pm going live at Yulman with CJ.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

"Should play it there every year"
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... obileshort
Saints practice at Tulane's Yulman Stadium should become annual tradition: Larry Holder's observations The New Orleans Saints practiced for the first time in Tulane's Yulman Stadium on Friday night to cap off their open portion of training camp.

This should become an annual tradition. There was so much to like for everyone involved in Friday night's practice session.

The night practice was comfortable for fans, including a full scope of concessions. It's only a short trip for the team down the Earhart Expressway, one right on Carrollton Ave. and a left on Claiborne Ave. Plus, the intimate setting of Yulman Stadium allows fans a perfect vantage point.

I'm estimating somewhere between 6,000 to 7,000 fans under the lights at Yulman Stadium. It's great publicity for Tulane. It's a great setting for Saints fans.

It's a win all the way around.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Gates open at 6pm
Not at all. I heard it Tuesday evening as well. But this came up in short notice. The Saints didn't officially get with Dickson until Wed morning. They probably didn't think it would be a big deal I guess since we use their IPF all the time. Tulane owes it to the Saints and Benson to accommodate them as much as necessary. Tulane is still doing construction work inside to prepare for Thursday nights opener.
mbawave is correct. If it's true that highly discredited forum posters have information about Tulane/Yulman earlier than Rick Dickson, then isn't that an insane indictment of Rick Dickson? How out of touch does one need to be to not know something substantial about his program before an average fan? How powerless does Dickson need to be for Benson to feel that he can treat Tulane facilities like he can use them without notice?

And worse, Dickson is going to try to take credit for this.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... obileshort
It's always an honor to repay someone back," Johnson said. "Whenever they want to use this facility they can have it as much as they want for as much as we practice in theirs.

"Mickey called over and said they wanted to do something (Friday), and so we arranged whatever we had to do."
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Anyone who attended last nights Saints practice at Yulman, can you tell us about turn out,atmosphere etc. and overall your impression if the practice was positive for both Tulane and the Saints. How did the parking and nimby on Audubon Blvd. required security work out?
Show Me
Tsunami

Jonathan wrote:Anyone who attended last nights Saints practice at Yulman, can you tell us about turn out,atmosphere etc. and overall your impression if the practice was positive for both Tulane and the Saints. How did the parking and nimby on Audubon Blvd. required security work out?
Brees walked home to avoid the parking hassles? lol.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-sai ... r-practice
Jonathan
Riptide

I hope the Saints do it again next year. Great photo seeing him walk from Yulman to his Uptown home.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Nice!
capwave
High Tide

Im no Dickson fan. Far from it actually, but give it a rest. Last night was great for Tulane, and all reports show it went off without a hitch. who cares when he knew. He is not gifted with telepathy. He would only know about something like this when the saints tell him. And with short notice they pulled it off.
Jonathan
Riptide

I agree one hundred percent. Do it again next year but not at the last minute and promote it at least a month earlier. We could have ten thousand people out for the evening practice signing up for both Saints and Tulane season tickets. Great Tulane Saints connection!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
aus10dixon
Ripple

Here's a quick shot of some of the crowd. I had to drive out to campus to pick up my season tickets, so I stopped to see the practice for a few minutes. I left early, but people were still coming in when I was leaving. I hope we get weather that nice for the season opener.

RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Bike food delivered as well.
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/25 ... hared=true
One of the reasons I hate bleacherreport. They're not real reporters and writers. Tulane "where the Saints have been practicing this preseason"? Didn't know that.

And of course Brees call JimmyJohns to deliver. He owns that franchise. He probably called and said, "This is the boss.I'm on my way home and I need a sandwich. I'm walking down Broadway and I expect you here in 5 minutes or 'You're Fired'!"
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Gates open at 6pm
mbawave is correct. If it's true that highly discredited forum posters have information about Tulane/Yulman earlier than Rick Dickson, then isn't that an insane indictment of Rick Dickson? How out of touch does one need to be to not know something substantial about his program before an average fan? How powerless does Dickson need to be for Benson to feel that he can treat Tulane facilities like he can use them without notice?

And worse, Dickson is going to try to take credit for this.
Sean Payton tells Fox 8 it was talked about on Wed with Mickey Loomis and came together last minute watch:
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981