Helmets from 1940's - Current

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote:
msdos wrote:I am very happy that this was attempted. I really thought this would be awesome.

Actually seeing it though, it looks like complete garbage.

I am not a fan of it as well. It's just not intimidating.
Upon further review, maybe the eyes, mouth and megaphone need to be deleted, this will diminish the "cartoon" look... I like the general concept, but it needs fine tuning...someone call the Gas Monkey's or Kounts Kustoms

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:I love it, and I am not the only one. An Ohio State blog called it the second best helmet in college football. It has gotten a lot of media attention, and it never hurts for a program like Tulane to get some publicity.
Yeah, it's publicity but every bit of it is laced with condescending praise. This is gimmicky PR shite.
bananax07
Ripple

Wave QB wrote:
msdos wrote:I am very happy that this was attempted. I really thought this would be awesome.

who gives a sh*t. oregon has a duck with a funny hat for a mascot. alabama has an elephant with a floppy trunk. we're talking about a game where massive boys/men run around a field with an oblong leather ball. the whole thing is a spectacle. and if you're trying to be intimidating, how about playing high-level, intimidating football and having a rowdy fan base, rather than resorting to gimmicky and easily replicated branding ploys (e.g. white/black outs, referring to your fanbase as "_ nation", etc.)

i love the wave dude. it's distinctive, recognizable, flexible (if you switch out the megaphone for a bat or ball as many have suggested). and it's not even the primary helmet!
Eaglewave
Swell

bananax07 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

who gives a sh*t. oregon has a duck with a funny hat for a mascot. alabama has an elephant with a floppy trunk. we're talking about a game where massive boys/men run around a field with an oblong leather ball. the whole thing is a spectacle. and if you're trying to be intimidating, how about playing high-level, intimidating football and having a rowdy fan base, rather than resorting to gimmicky and easily replicated branding ploys (e.g. white/black outs, referring to your fanbase as "_ nation", etc.)

i love the wave dude. it's distinctive, recognizable, flexible (if you switch out the megaphone for a bat or ball as many have suggested). and it's not even the primary helmet!
Many recruits, players and fans give a shit. That duck and elephant aren't on the teams helmets either. Lol. It looks like damn Saturday morning cartoon show. I do agree with you about playing high level/intimidating football.

Anyway, I sure hope we use the interlocking TU.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

Upon further review, maybe the eyes, mouth and megaphone need to be deleted, this will diminish the "cartoon" look... I like the general concept, but it needs fine tuning...someone call the Gas Monkey's or Kounts Kustoms
I would like to see changes as well.
Ball Sumrall!
Show Me
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:I was worried it would look cartoonish but I don't think that's the case at all.
I was worried about the same thing, but it turned out to cartoonish in my eyes. I like the fact that TD is trying to score with the fans, but this thing looks like the "Looney Tunes" theme will be played when we take the field.
This.
Looks like a bad cartoon drawing from the 60's. If we are going to use Meanie Greenie they should use the original one TPS posted. No blue top. I also agree it's much too big. Needs to be sized down to fit nicely on the helmet.
Wave QB
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:I was worried it would look cartoonish but I don't think that's the case at all.
I was worried about the same thing, but it turned out to cartoonish in my eyes. I like the fact that TD is trying to score with the fans, but this thing looks like the "Looney Tunes" theme will be played when we take the field.
This.
Looks like a bad cartoon drawing from the 60's. If we are going to use Meanie Greenie they should use the original one TPS posted. No blue top. I also agree it's much too big. Needs to be sized down to fit nicely on the helmet.
Agreed.

I like what TD is trying to do, but I am ready to see something totally new and improved just likeI want our team to be. We have the best colors in college football, yet most of our helmets and uniforms have been awful. It seems like every uniform in our history that was basic and simple seemed to be the better options. I am not a fan of the block, or plain number on the helmets, but I will take it any day over the other options we have seen our boys wear. As someone mentioned, the interlock TU is actually a better option as well.

Please! Someone, anyone, come up with a new logo or design that screams "Green Wave"!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I just got an email reply from TD....they are still "tweeking" the wave....the size, colors etc....it may only be used when Tulane wears Blue jerseys...but then again, it may be an all time thing....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TD's comment a month ago that we would have the Angry Wave on the helmets for the Wake game was said in the context of it being for the first game only.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Just so glad "metallic lime" is no longer a Tulane color, I will always associate "metallic lime" with the Cowen/Dickson train wreck. The proposed green and blue colors are similar to those of 1979, our best; green and blue for colors complement one another well when done right.
posse
High Tide

Wave755 wrote:Just so glad "metallic lime" is no longer a Tulane color, I will always associate "metallic lime" with the Cowen/Dickson train wreck. The proposed green and blue colors are similar to those of 1979, our best; green and blue for colors complement one another well when done right.
AMEN. LETS HOPE IT STAYS GONE....NOTHING ASSOCIATED WITH TULANE SHOULD BE "LIME GREEN" Your right, the new colors are very similar to the 1979 uniforms, and most of the 70's uniforms.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Looks like one of the Tulane helmets which will be used this season....at least the Megaphone has been deleted

https://mobile.twitter.com/TulaneSports ... 6510860288
ajcalhoun
Swell

And the lime green has returned, damn it.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:And the lime green has returned, damn it.
i think the term, in this politically correct election year is, "Lime Slime"
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
i think the term, in this politically correct election year is, "Lime Slime"
Mid-century cartoon kitsch is ok for a one-off as a helmet logo, but there seems to be a forced effort to incorporate the angry wave into the whole twitter/public relations campaign that is not compatible with the "slick" production. It's like the angry wave is being thrown on top as an afterthought.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The kids love bold colors. Look at the folks running on st charles, their running shoes r crazy.
wave97
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
The kids love bold colors. Look at the folks running on st charles, their running shoes r crazy.
At least there is a practical reason for running with bright colors. I just have a problem with the retro look of the angry wave being shoe-horned into the very slick & modern multiple green hues on everything from press releases to twitter feeds. It's clumsy!
Last edited by wave97 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
At least there is a practical reason for running with bright colors. I just have a problem with the retro look of the angry wave being shoe-horned into the very slick & modern multiple green hues on everything from press releases to twitter feeds.
And do not forget that Gumby will now have blue hair, not white hair !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Image
now you're talkin'! :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:Looks like one of the Tulane helmets which will be used this season....at least the Megaphone has been deleted

https://mobile.twitter.com/TulaneSports ... 6510860288
Pretty good looking helmet, if we have to keep gray in the mix. I guess the lime green helps to offset the drab gray. Apparently, Dannen heeded the advice to dispense with the megaphone.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
That's original old school my friend!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Credit goes to Brandon Schroeder for that image!
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Credit goes to Brandon Schroeder for that image!
memo to Brandon...head to Sports Beat in Metry....TPS will pick up your tab...and bring lots of freinds !!!!