Fall Camp 2015

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Just when you think it is safe to back into the water

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Robert1969
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:Just when you think it is safe to back into the water

All that is is a copy and paste of the official Tulane press release. I would like a neutral source to tell me that "Lee takes command." I will wait for the New Orleans Advocate to publish their account.
Eaglewave
Swell

Go ahead and second line with the CJ & Company brass band if you want to. When we started bashing the kicker, we saw a press release wanted us to feel sorry for him because he was a freshman and couldn't find the restroom in the Wilson Center. When we started putting heat on Price, a press release came out backing him and CJ blaming himself for our offensive woes. A now this, "Tanner Lee is in command of the offense".

I think Tanner Lee has tools, but he is going to have to prove himself on game day.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:Kushner noted in his article today that Lee looked better Saturday than he did Friday. As to Powell I haven't seen any reports that he has been performing well at camp.
I have caught two practices for a short period of time, but from what I saw, Powell been making better decisions. He'll, your report seems to note more strikes from Powell to different recivers. Lol

Tanner Lee looked like crap the other day, but he looked much better on Saturday. This looks like Powell's first year looking like he knows what he is doing at practice. In three years, Powell usually looks like a JUCO transfer that is trying to learn a new system. Finally, he looks like a Tulane QB that wants the job and understands the plays. Tanner Lee needs to shake off what happened last season and play football. Tanner is looking like a nervous rookie with good tools and no confidence.

Tanner Lee should be able to do more things in the pocket with this year's offensive line and running game. There is no reason for our offensive line to be one of the best in the conference. We have this size and depth to compete with any team on our schedule.

As Chris Davenport did in Fall 2013 camp, Monroe has promised me a bowl appearance this season. He said that our secondary was going to play as if their careers were on the line. (Although I know he feels like it's now or never in his career.)

I am not all that impressed with our LB corps as much as some reports might claim. I just feel that we don't have enough available talent and depth. I was really hoping to land another SEC transfer or grad player for this season. We need help at LB.

I will be able to have more time this week to check out more action.
Powell was usually on the other end working w/the back-ups. When he got involved in those drills w/Lee Powell again went against back-ups while Lee was going against the one's.

The defense deserve the credit in games that Powell started.

Our OL is still not going to be good. If we try to just run the ball it will be a looooooong season. We need to be successful throwing the ball. Then the run game will flourish.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:

All that is is a copy and paste of the official Tulane press release. I would like a neutral source to tell me that "Lee takes command." I will wait for the New Orleans Advocate to publish their account.
+1. How does that appear in the T-P without noting that it comes straight from Tulane Media Relations? This is another example of NOLA media being pathetic.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:Kushner noted in his article today that Lee looked better Saturday than he did Friday. As to Powell I haven't seen any reports that he has been performing well at camp.
I have caught two practices for a short period of time, but from what I saw, Powell been making better decisions. He'll, your report seems to note more strikes from Powell to different recivers. Lol

Tanner Lee looked like crap the other day, but he looked much better on Saturday. This looks like Powell's first year looking like he knows what he is doing at practice. In three years, Powell usually looks like a JUCO transfer that is trying to learn a new system. Finally, he looks like a Tulane QB that wants the job and understands the plays. Tanner Lee needs to shake off what happened last season and play football. Tanner is looking like a nervous rookie with good tools and no confidence.

Tanner Lee should be able to do more things in the pocket with this year's offensive line and running game. There is no reason for our offensive line to be one of the best in the conference. We have this size and depth to compete with any team on our schedule.

As Chris Davenport did in Fall 2013 camp, Monroe has promised me a bowl appearance this season. He said that our secondary was going to play as if their careers were on the line. (Although I know he feels like it's now or never in his career.)

I am not all that impressed with our LB corps as much as some reports might claim. I just feel that we don't have enough available talent and depth. I was really hoping to land another SEC transfer or grad player for this season. We need help at LB.

I can't even believe this is still a debate. Powell did not appear to me to be a D1A QB. Lee appears to me to be a sure-fire NFL prospect, and NFL talent evaluators seems to agree.

Powell in the NOLA bowl through a couple of passes that would be poor for a HS QB, one of which was such a wounded duck that the DB misplayed it and it ended up a 35 yard gain and threw other 7 yard hitch patterns in the dirt. Cuilette is a 3 star recruit. If Cuilette cannot beat out Powell and Lee can't get it done, then it will indicate a problem with coaching more than anything else.

Plenty of D1A programs are able to put forth productive offenses with QBs with far less talent than Tanner Lee. I cannot be convinced he is the problem.
DrBox
Riptide

If the O consists of running and dump-offs, teams will still play 9 in the box. They have to get the TE and Veal open beyond the box to open things up. And not just bombs.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:If the O consists of running and dump-offs, teams will still play 9 in the box. They have to get the TE and Veal open beyond the box to open things up. And not just bombs.
This is my biggest concern. Yes the play calling and scheme are questionable (at best) but I think opponents realized, after the first few games of 2014, that our WRs just couldn't separate hence the fact that we literally couldn't score or move the ball.

Really looking forward to the season getting going but (maybe its the TU fan in me) I have this fear that the season is going to fall apart. Lots of questions but I do think we have the talent to compete against every team on the schedule.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Forever TU wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Forever TU wrote:I'm going to try and get out there this weekend. I made it out there on Wednesday but it was "GA Tech" hot. I was also nervous about taking pics but no one seemed to care so I'll take some if I can get out there.

I invite everyone to follow me on Twitter @Spirit29. I post on there more about Tulane than either here or yogwf.

Roll Wave!
Well you don't invite "everyone", since I just tried to follow you but you've blocked me.

You definitely learned from Rick Dickson...
Well gee JJ Didn't know you like me that much. PM me your Twitter and I'll unblock you.

Funny though that you link me to Dickson though. So because I worked for a third party I'm forever tainted?

One thing I've noticed is that the O-line coaches have really been on our guys.
It really has nothing to do with "liking" or not. If you have interesting Tulane football info, I'm interested in following.

I'm specifically linking you to Dickson on this because this is not the only instance of this. I regularly search for the term Tulane on Twitter and on multiple occasions, tried to click through to someone's feed only to find out that I've been blocked. These are always the Dickson apologists. Somehow I've been a power user of Twitter for 8 years and the only people to have ever blocked me are those who drink the Dickson kool aid. And I don't think I've ever Tweeted at any of these people.

Meanwhile, blocking on Twitter is really for celebrities to get rid of trolls who are bothering them. It doesn't silence me, it only stops me from reading what you have to say. Which, like every other thing Dickson and his followers do, is entirely backwards.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
I'm specifically linking you to Dickson on this because this is not the only instance of this. I regularly search for the term Tulane on Twitter and on multiple occasions, tried to click through to someone's feed only to find out that I've been blocked. These are always the Dickson apologists. Somehow I've been a power user of Twitter for 8 years and the only people to have ever blocked me are those who drink the Dickson kool aid. And I don't think I've ever Tweeted at any of these people.

Meanwhile, blocking on Twitter is really for celebrities to get rid of trolls who are bothering them. It doesn't silence me, it only stops me from reading what you have to say. Which, like every other thing Dickson and his followers do, is entirely backwards.
It's not the different opinions.
It's that you act like an ass sometimes, get really obnoxious and insult people when they're trying to have a conversation, like you did when I was getting feedback from Brandon McNeil.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DrBox wrote:If the O consists of running and dump-offs, teams will still play 9 in the box. They have to get the TE and Veal open beyond the box to open things up. And not just bombs.
This is my biggest concern. Yes the play calling and scheme are questionable (at best) but I think opponents realized, after the first few games of 2014, that our WRs just couldn't separate hence the fact that we literally couldn't score or move the ball.

Really looking forward to the season getting going but (maybe its the TU fan in me) I have this fear that the season is going to fall apart. Lots of questions but I do think we have the talent to compete against every team on the schedule.
We had the talent last year. GT and Cincy were two of the better teams on our schedule, and we were outplaying both in the first half but our self destruction left us behind multiple scores. We were outplaying Cincy on both offense and defense but were down 24-0 at the half.
OUG
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

It's that you act like an ass sometimes, get really obnoxious and insult people when they're trying to have a conversation, like you did when I was getting feedback from Brandon McNeil.
Case in point, this is supposed to be a thread about Fall Camp. JJ has turned it into a conversation about a) Rick Dickson, and b) himself. His two favorite topics.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I did yell at Brandon MacNeil on Twitter and as a result, he'd be justified in blocking me. It would be inappropriate given his job title, but at least justifiable. I did yell at him because I'm sick of being lied to, and there is nothing more obnoxious than trying to lie to and deceive your constituency.

If calling that out makes me an ass, great. Frankly, I think that you being so gracious for simple, minimal communication makes you the ass, just a passive, less obvious one.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

They are starting to lay down the bricks as well. They installed cement or granite TULANE letters at the entrance and are surrounding the letters with the bricks. Talked to an employee and he said they are starting "Phase II" of the brick drive, not sure what that means. My guess is that the initial campaign did not sell out so they are just calling it phase II moving forward.

Small and all, but I have never been at a college stadium where you are basically on top of the field at almost every seat. To me, it seemed as if the new tv booth on the east side would impact more seats then others claim, but I was looking at it from the south endzone.
Fat Harry
Low Tide

I block JJ not because he has done or said anything to me personally, but because his posts are idiotic and only involve Cow/Dick and how the stadium is too small.
Jonathan
Riptide

Play calling questionable? Every opposing team knows CJ's drill. Run up the middle,no gain or loss. Second run up the middle,no gain or loss. Forced now to pass. Third down,we pass,either for an interception or incompletion. Time to kick. Thanks CJ and offensive coordinator. Where is the imagination and mixture of a large inventor of plays?
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:

I can't even believe this is still a debate. Powell did not appear to me to be a D1A QB. Lee appears to me to be a sure-fire NFL prospect, and NFL talent evaluators seems to agree.

Powell in the NOLA bowl through a couple of passes that would be poor for a HS QB, one of which was such a wounded duck that the DB misplayed it and it ended up a 35 yard gain and threw other 7 yard hitch patterns in the dirt. Cuilette is a 3 star recruit. If Cuilette cannot beat out Powell and Lee can't get it done, then it will indicate a problem with coaching more than anything else.

Plenty of D1A programs are able to put forth productive offenses with QBs with far less talent than Tanner Lee. I cannot be convinced he is the problem.

Who is debating? I changed lanes in 2013 when I saw Tanner Lee slinging the ball around at practice. I agree that he has the tools to be a NFL QB, but so what! He has to prove in the game. The difference between me and a few other Catholic School Wave lovers is the fact that I refuse to give Tanner Lee mercy and bash Powell and Montana when they dealt with the same piss poor play calling as Lee.

Say what you want, but Lee played horrible last season and his picks won't be forgiven until he shows us he can win games. You can stroke the defense all you want in Powell's victories, but the fact remains that he tossed TD passes when we needed him to and didn't turn the ball over. Go back and listen to those commentators talk about Powell during the ULL game. The talk as if the coaching report on him was a bunch of crap.

I still believe that Tanner Lee is the guy, but I won't whip and powder him after he throws picks like many of you. Tanner Lee has much earned heat on him right now. He better deliver. If you didn't blame Price and CJ for Montana and Powell having bad days, don't do it for Lee.
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
I agree that he has the tools to be a NFL QB, but so what!
Uhhh.
sader24
Tsunami

So he has the tools to be a NFL QB, but we should start the guy who doesn't and is even less effective. I guess that makes sense in an insane asylum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
I agree that he has the tools to be a NFL QB, but so what!
Uhhh.
DUH !!! most of us have the "tools" to be an NFL QB.... we have a heart beat, eyesight, can throw the ball in a forward motion and walk and chew bubblegum at the same time...how well are those "tools" developed and polished decides who can actually PLAY QB in the NFL
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

So, about Fall Camp...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Four seasons ago when he arrived, McDonell found the cupboard bare.

“We barely had enough scholarship linemen,” he chuckled. “We’re getting to the point of having two deep. You want eight to nine guys and not miss a beat.”
Good time for a reminder:
"Once we got to that point (of deciding to keep Toledo), it's not about Bob, we're not going to leave that program in a lame duck situation and anything that would impact adding that last layer to the deck would have been irresponsible," Dickson said.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... lains.html

When you wonder how we get ourselves in these kinds of positions, we have to remember that the lack of accountability and the lack of a responsible media which asks Dickson about these program-killing blunders, it's all self-inflicted and preventable.