Fall Camp 2015

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fat Harry wrote:Kush just tweeted that the Tulane offense looks familiar today - "turnovers and dump-offs abound"
I stopped by the first two practices, didn't see any downfield throws but they were not in pads and just going through the motions. Didn't stay long, so dam hot on those metal bleachers.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

C J's take:

Tanner looked good...Powell looked good ...Montana, looked good, oopppsss... I mean they all looked good...same song...same shit...different verse...

memo to CJ....at least change the damn lyrics !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Do you guys really expect that after three years CJ and Price will figure out how to run an effective college offense?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was able to get out there for a bit today. As we all know it's the third day and they are not in pads so hard to tell a whole lot. (At least that's what I'm telling myself).

There were a lot of position drills going on for a good part of things. They then did some one on one's between WR's and DB's w/Lee at QB from 35 yards out going north. Donnie Lewis and Richard Allen looked real good. Lewis started the drill w/good coverage on Scott causing an incomplete. Monroe then broke up a pass to Jones. Lee then hit Hilliard short over Marley.

Powell took over and hit Ardoin right in the hands 10 yards downfield and Ardoin dropped it. Joseph stepped in and Jones made a good sliding catch. Powell then hit Badie for a TD over Shenall. Powell then hit Veal for a TD. Cuillette hit Encalade for 10 and then hit Breaux for 10. Powell finished it w/a TD to Hilliard who beat Shenall easily.

FG's were next. Don't read this if you can't handle bad news today. Lizanich's snaps were low,high and behind the holder on most occasions. Not much zip either. The snaps contributed to a couple of blocks by Allen. This is year 3 for Lizanich. HE CAN'T SNAP. ANY REP GIVEN TO HIM IS A WASTE. TRY EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM AND IF YOU DON'T FIND ONE GO THROUGH THE ENTIRE STUDENT BODY. THIS IS UNCALLED FOR AT THIS POINT. SORRY BUT I JUST HAVE TO BE BLUNT ABOUT IT AT THIS POINT. I won't talk about the kickers as none of the regulars kicked.

They then went 11 on 11 from 35 yards out from the south end zone. All snaps were from the 35. Lee was picked off by Franklin in the end zone. Encalade then beat Allen for a 10 yarder. Badie caught one in the flat. Lee then hit Jones for 15 . Lee then threw a bad pass to a wide open Hilliard on a swing pass.

They then went 7 on 7 again from 35 yards out w/all snaps at the 35. Lee threw a pass over the middle that Lewis drooped despite it being right to him. He threw incomplete to Dace who was well covered by Allen. A few passes later Lee wanted to throw to Preston but he was well covered. It looked like he didn't want to throw but then released and the ball went right into the arms of Eric Thomas.

They went back to 11 on 11. Lee overthrew Dace 45 yards downfield who was well covered by Allen. LW wanted to give instruction to Allen after the play but allen kept walking. LW would call out and Allen would briefly stop and then walk away again w/LW calling out to him again and again. Allen had a very goood day but that exchange was disturbing after Marley's comments. The drill ended w/Veal making a move and leaving Shy in his dust just to be overthrown by Lee.

Later on in a similar scenario Lee was blitzed and overthrew Jones in the middle of the field. Lewis dropped the interception. Badie was wide open on a swing route.

Injuries:

Kelley appeared to suffer an eye injury on a pass he caught. Braynon Edwards, who is still grossly overweight , came up gimpy very early and later saw him on the bike. I saw Zach Harris running a sprint across the field between drills when I arrived but he never participated in any drills.

Lee did not look good. Too many interceptions and overthrows. He didn't look confident at all. Our receivers still don't seem to get separation w/any regularity at all. They also got stripped of the ball a few times.

Franklin, Allen and Lewis looked real good.

It is hard to tell anything at this point but I was not encouraged by the offense at all. Certainly didn't see a difference in tempo. The good news is we have time and I hope we make the most of it. There is a lot of work to do.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Thanks for the report winwave. Keep 'em coming.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:I was able to get out there for a bit today. As we all know it's the third day ad they are not in pads so hard to tell a whole lot. (At least that's what I'm telling myself).

There were a lot of position drills going on for a good part of things. They then did some one on one's between WR's and DB's w/Lee at QB from 35 yards out going north. Donnie Lewis and Richard Allen looked real good. Lewis started the drill w/good coverage on Scott causing an incomplete. Monroe then broke up a pass to Jones. Lee then hit Hilliard short over Marley.

Powell took over and hit Ardoin right in the hands 10 yards downfield and Ardoin dropped it. Joseph stepped in and Jones made a good sliding catch. Powell then hit Badie for a TD over Shenall. Powell then hit Veal for a TD. Cuillette hit Encalade for 10 and then hit Breaux for 10. Powell finished it w/a TD to Hilliard who beat Shenall easily.

FG's were next. Don't read this if you can't handle bad news today. Lizanich's snaps were low,high and behind the holder on most ocCasions. Not much zip either. The snaps contributed to a couple of blocks by Allen. This is year 3 for Lizanich. HE CAN'T SNAP. ANY REP GIVEN TO HIM IS A WASTE. TRY EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM AND IF YOU DON'T FIND ONE GO THROUGH THE ENTIRE STUDENT BODY. THIS IS UNCALLED FOR AT THIS POINT. SORRY BUT I JUST HAVE TO BE BLUNT ABOUT IT AT THIS POINT. I won't talk about the kickers as none of the regulars kicked.

They then went 11 on 11 from 35 yards out from the south end zone. All snaps were from the 35. Lee was picked off by Franklin in the end zone. Encalade then beat Allen for a 10 yarder. Badie caught one in the flat. Lee then hit Jones for 15 . Lee then threw a bad pass to a wide open Hilliard on a swing pass.

They then went 7 on 7 again from 35 yards out w/all snaps at the 35. Lee threw a pass over the middle that Lewis drooped despite it being right to him. He threw incomplete to Dace who was well covered by Allen. A few passes later Lee wanted to throw to Preston but he was well covered. It looked like he didn't want to throw but then released and the ball went right into the arms of Eric Thomas.

They went back to 11 on 11. Lee overthrew Dace 45 yards downfield who was well covered by Allen. LW wanted to give instruction to Allen after the play but allen kept walking. LW would call out and Allen would briefly stop and then walk away again w/LW calling out to him again and again. Allen had a very goood day but that exchange was disturbing after Marley's comments. The drill ended w/Veal making a move and leaving Shy in his dust just to be overthrown by Lee.

Later on in a similar scenario Lee was blitzed and overthrew Jones in the middle of the field. Lewis dropped the interception. Badie was wide open on a swing route.

Injuries:

Kelley appeared to suffer an eye injury on a pass he caught. Braynon Edwards, who is still grossly overweight , came up gimpy very early and later saw him on the bike. I saw Zach Harris running a sprint across the field between drills when I arrived but he never participated in any drills.

Lee did not look good. Too many interceptions and overthrows. He didn't look confident at all. Our receivers still don't seem to get separation w/any regularity at all. They also got stipped of the ball a few times.

Franklin, Allen and Lewis looked real good.

It is hard to tell anything at this point but I was not encouraged by the offense at all. Certainly didn't see a difference in tempo. The good news is we have time and I hope we make the most of it. There is a lot of work to do.
Many thanks for the report. Sounds like same ole, same ole.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:Sounds like same ole, same ole.
+1 Like a broken record. :|
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Sounds like same ole, same ole.
+1 Like a broken record. :|
And yet they made a conscious decision not to make any changes. After all, we wouldn't want Dickson to lose his tennis partner.
sader24
Tsunami

How could we stand pat Offensively after last season?? If this offense looks the same this season as the last 2 CJ has to go. He had the opportunity to make a change and he didn't.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:How could we stand pat Offensively after last season?? If this offense looks the same this season as the last 2 CJ has to go. He had the opportunity to make a change and he didn't.
I would agree with you, but I'm not convinced that it's his call. Didn't we go through this with Bob Toledo and a WR coach?

It's not clear where the organizational dysfunction begins or ends.

Of course, if it was CJ's call, its certainly a fireable offense, but 1) he won't be fired and 2) would we be able to replace him with better?
Forever TU
Surge

I'm going to try and get out there this weekend. I made it out there on Wednesday but it was "GA Tech" hot. I was also nervous about taking pics but no one seemed to care so I'll take some if I can get out there.

I invite everyone to follow me on Twitter @Spirit29. I post on there more about Tulane than either here or yogwf.

Roll Wave!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Forever TU wrote:I'm going to try and get out there this weekend. I made it out there on Wednesday but it was "GA Tech" hot. I was also nervous about taking pics but no one seemed to care so I'll take some if I can get out there.

I invite everyone to follow me on Twitter @Spirit29. I post on there more about Tulane than either here or yogwf.

Roll Wave!
Well you don't invite "everyone", since I just tried to follow you but you've blocked me.

You definitely learned from Rick Dickson...
Wave QB
Swell

Tanner Lee looking like last season hasn't ended.
Wave QB
Swell

I am very disappointed in Edward Williams. Warren Easton isn't Harvard Prep, but it is still a good school. He is one of those guys who shouldn't be slipping in the classroom.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote:I am very disappointed in Edward Williams. Warren Easton isn't Harvard Prep, but it is still a good school. He is one of those guys who shouldn't be slipping in the classroom.
The young man does not want to b at tulane...he wanted to sign with Texas Tech but mom would not let him
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I should have noted in the injury section above that Sean Wilson was participating and did not look restricted at all. That's good news for our D.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Forever TU
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Forever TU wrote:I'm going to try and get out there this weekend. I made it out there on Wednesday but it was "GA Tech" hot. I was also nervous about taking pics but no one seemed to care so I'll take some if I can get out there.

Roll Wave!
Well you don't invite "everyone", since I just tried to follow you but you've blocked me.

You definitely learned from Rick Dickson...
Well gee JJ Didn't know you like me that much. PM me your Twitter and I'll unblock you.

Funny though that you link me to Dickson though. So because I worked for a third party I'm forever tainted?

One thing I've noticed is that the O-line coaches have really been on our guys.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave QB wrote:Tanner Lee looking like last season hasn't ended.
I hope Powell starts.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
I hope Powell starts.
I guess everyone see's something in Powell I do not... I never understood signing the young man in the first place...of course I did not understand signing Lee either...too many "projects" and not nearly enough time..oh wait..we are speaking about Tulane where success is not judged by wins and loses... If less than 6 wins this year and CJ is retained,and RD not fired... I suggest a mass protest in front of the Prez's house...
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
I hope Powell starts.
I guess everyone see's something in Powell I do not... I never understood signing the young man in the first place...of course I did not understand signing Lee either...too many "projects" and not nearly enough time..oh wait..we are speaking about Tulane where success is not judged by wins and loses... If less than 6 wins this year and CJ is retained,and RD not fired... I suggest a mass protest in front of the Prez's house...
Powell was solid overall in the New Orleans bowl, and, given his decent performance in fall practice (especially as compared to Lee), I believe that he should start. He seems good out of the shotgun, and his running abilities/size are not bad either. In addition, he has several years of experience in our offense, and that is just icing on the cake.

Tulane's issue is that it needs to be able to hold on to QB recruits and not start them until they are at least Juniors (i.e. Like Baylor). Doing so would give the QBs time to learn the system before being thrown into the fire. Unfortunately, the cupboard was bare in terms of future QBs when CJ took over, so it's hard to fault him too heavily for the QB play at this point (and our future QB situation is bright with Glen and Jack). However, if Lee is as bad as the reports from practice indicate he is and Powell is as good as the reports indicate he is, then we can fault CJ for starting Lee over Powell if that is what he decides to do.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Kushner noted in his article today that Lee looked better Saturday than he did Friday. As to Powell I haven't seen any reports that he has been performing well at camp.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:Kushner noted in his article today that Lee looked better Saturday than he did Friday. As to Powell I haven't seen any reports that he has been performing well at camp.
I have caught two practices for a short period of time, but from what I saw, Powell been making better decisions. He'll, your report seems to note more strikes from Powell to different recivers. Lol

Tanner Lee looked like crap the other day, but he looked much better on Saturday. This looks like Powell's first year looking like he knows what he is doing at practice. In three years, Powell usually looks like a JUCO transfer that is trying to learn a new system. Finally, he looks like a Tulane QB that wants the job and understands the plays. Tanner Lee needs to shake off what happened last season and play football. Tanner is looking like a nervous rookie with good tools and no confidence.

Tanner Lee should be able to do more things in the pocket with this year's offensive line and running game. There is no reason for our offensive line to be one of the best in the conference. We have this size and depth to compete with any team on our schedule.

As Chris Davenport did in Fall 2013 camp, Monroe has promised me a bowl appearance this season. He said that our secondary was going to play as if their careers were on the line. (Although I know he feels like it's now or never in his career.)

I am not all that impressed with our LB corps as much as some reports might claim. I just feel that we don't have enough available talent and depth. I was really hoping to land another SEC transfer or grad player for this season. We need help at LB.

I will be able to have more time this week to check out more action.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Looking forward to Eaglewave and Winwave's updates on fall camp.

Like MBA, I haven't seen enough good things out of Powell to be impressed. I think his relief effort in the NO Bowl was his best playing time; at other times I've thought game over when he got into the game. What we really need out of QB is a guy that can hand off and check out of a bad play call/defense scheme match up. We don't need a guy that lights up the stat sheet, we should be a running team that can keep opposing offenses off the field. If our O line is as much improved as we're hearing, we have the backs to take advantage and 200 yards passing would be sufficient. If it's Powell that can manage that best, play Powell. Just win, for crying out loud. Win.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Eaglewave
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
I hope Powell starts.
Powell was solid overall in the New Orleans bowl, and, given his decent performance in fall practice (especially as compared to Lee), I believe that he should start. He seems good out of the shotgun, and his running abilities/size are not bad either. In addition, he has several years of experience in our offense, and that is just icing on the cake.

Tulane's issue is that it needs to be able to hold on to QB recruits and not start them until they are at least Juniors (i.e. Like Baylor). Doing so would give the QBs time to learn the system before being thrown into the fire. Unfortunately, the cupboard was bare in terms of future QBs when CJ took over, so it's hard to fault him too heavily for the QB play at this point (and our future QB situation is bright with Glen and Jack). However, if Lee is as bad as the reports from practice indicate he is and Powell is as good as the reports indicate he is, then we can fault CJ for starting Lee over Powell if that is what he decides to do.

What's amazing to me is how Powell is judged for what he has done based on his abilities, but Lee is getting judged based on Price's play calling. I think we have been unfair to Powell. He has gone through the same poor play calling situations as Lee. That kid showed magic in the shotgun under horrible circumstances. A terrible line and poor coaching. He still remained calm in the pocket and made enough plays to keep us in games and win games.

I agree with Golfnut about signing Powell and Lee. Powell because he comes from a spread offensive high school scheme. Lee because he was only a true starter for 1 year in high school.

Tanner Lee is our starter and I hope he does well, but I think Powell needs to be ready to prove himself if Lee starts out struggling in week 1. If Powell comes in and can't get the job done, then it's the next man up.
Ball Sumrall!