Yulman & Gameday Questions...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
MStateDawg
Trickle

Mississippi State fan here. I'm planning on attending Tulane's Thursday night game versus Duke prior to heading up to Hattiesburg to watch State & USM play. I haven't been to a game at the new stadium and wanted to check it out over an extended holiday/football weekend. I was hoping to get some advice.

First things first: Tickets
On the secondary ticket sites (Stubhub, TicketKing, TicketCity, etc), all the seats that are available are on the west side. I'd prefer to sit on the east side if possible to have the chair back seats. The “Ticket Exchange” forum on this site has no recent activity. I checked the ticket section of tulanegreenwave.com and it navigates to TicketMaster which states single game tickets won't go on sale until the 14th of August. Should I expect to see east side ticket available there or are those likely to be all consumed by season ticket holders? What about waiting until gameday and buying tickets outside the stadium? Are the scalpers likely to have east side tickets at a reasonable cost?

Next: Transportation
I'm staying at a friend's condo in the warehouse district (near the WWII museum). Is the trolley that runs on St. Charles my best bet? What time does it stop running? What about the presence of taxis after the game? Would I need to call one or is there an area where they lineup after games? Being a night game, should I have any safety concerns walking the neighborhoods surrounding campus after the game?

Finally: Pregame
Should we post up at a bar or come or campus and check out the tailgate scene? What area of campus do most people tailgate?

Thanks in advance!

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I would visit the "greenbackers" web site.. I am sure you and your friends would be welcomed at their tailgate on campus..They are very much appreciative of everything State did for Tulane during the Katrina season and beyond ..The street car still runs down St Charles and stops in front of Tulane U ...but the stop is at the opposite end of the campus to where the stadium is located..a Cab may be the way to go and can drop you not far from the stadium...the Greenbackers may also have tickets available

TPS...if possible, ( and I know U can) help this gentleman....my thanks in advance... State and it's fans were very nice to us when went there... several of my High School teamates played at State...,Barry Bordelone...Stu Scheer...Chuck Dees...for those who go fishing south of Houma, Sportmans Paradise is owned by Stu, or at eat it was !!! ...he may have lost it when he got a divorce
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

Bulldog, first-if your going to a TU game I highly recommend drinking before the game. Sometimes it's necessary to watch and be snookered. The trolley would be your best bet,at least that's my thinking. It's cheap and gives a flavor of the city. As for tailgating--if you like being in a sauna,but I'd sit in a bar till kickoff. The city has a few places to imbibe. Hope we show you a good game and we apologize for our retarded AD.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

We haven't gotten our season tickets yet, so people have not been able to put them up for sale on the exchange site yet.

The street car would be a fun way to get to the game, though not the most time efficient. While you do get dropped off at the far end of campus from the stadium it would give you the opportunity to walk through the historic front of campus then stop at the tailgating which is in the middle of campus on the way to the stadium. There are usually cabs lined up on Claiborne Avenue (the large street just north of the stadium) after the game or you could use Uber. Obviously you are staying the night so you could also walk to area bars like Robert's Bar (across Claiborne) or Bruno's (on Maple Street) after the game.

Tailgating on campus was great last year, hopefully it continues this year. I know the tailgating for our Friday Halloween game was weaker than the Saturday games but that also was likely due to the fact that it was Halloween plus this is the first game and our best home opponent of the year. If tailgating on campus isn't giving you what you need then you can swing by The Boot to see our college bar or Robert's Bar, which are both spitting distance from campus.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Take a cab. The street car line has work going on right now that forces you off well before getting to Tulane and then you have to wait for a bus.

As for after the game it is safe to walk across Claiborne to Roberts . Do not walk to any other neighborhood as it is very unsafe at this time. This is a late game so it will end late and the criminals will be looking for drunks who are out and about.

Be safe and hopefully we give you a game to enjoy the beginning of the season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Hope you enjoy your Tulane visit.

Be very wary along the Claiborne St. entrance to Yulman stadium. There was a very dangerous scam being perpetrated by Tulane coeds last year. Stay safe! More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6148&p=91524&hilit=breasts#p91524
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BTW please remember to wear green. Thanks.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Forever TU
Surge

As others have said - hope you enjoy the visit. It's a beautiful campus. The tailgating happens at the "LBC Quad" which is right at the heart of campus between Freret and Willow Streets. If you need a drink first - check out Bruno's or the Boot and then check out the tailgating for a bit.

Last year, there was always a parade lead by the band to the stadium when it was time for the game. I'm sure they'll do that again.

As for tickets - to get the chairbacks your best bet is via one of the ticket exchanges. All of these areas require some kind of donation so they aren't open for single-game sales.

I will add that if you absolutely need to sit on that side - they are offering a "Pick 3" plan for Westfeldt Terrace which is the second deck on the east side - chairbacks and decent concessions/beer. With the donation factored in its $250 for a seat to 3 games. If you go that route you can probably make your money back if you pick homecoming and say, Houston.

Enjoy and let us know if you have other questions!
MStateDawg
Trickle

Great info! Thanks to everyone for sharing.
sader24
Tsunami

I have a question. I've noticed on the ticket seat website that there are many seats available that require a donation. If those seats are not sold as season tickets (as they clearly won't be) what do they charge for them for single game tickets? Do they just leave them empty? I ask this b/c above it says that tickets that require a donation can't be sold as single game tickets. What will be done with all these seats and if they do allow people to buy them by the game, wouldnt it just be cheaper to purchase single game tickets than this donation B.S. until and if they ever start selling out the season?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tickets: Come empty handed. There will be tickets in the tailgate area.
Transportation: Catch Uber or a cab
Bar: Roberts Bar or the Boot, then walk to the tailgate. Do both.

Remember it being a week night traffic may be an issue. Leave early!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fat Harry
Low Tide

I strongly second getting an Uber. Very convenient and reliable transportation. I would have Uber driver drop me off at The Boot for a drink and then work my way through the tailgating down to the stadium. Finish with a nightcap at Robert's across Claiborne from the stadium, and then get some wings at Bayou Hot Wings near Roberts or Felipe's mexican.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fat Harry wrote:I strongly second getting an Uber. Very convenient and reliable transportation. I would have Uber driver drop me off at The Boot for a drink and then work my way through the tailgating down to the stadium. Finish with a nightcap at Robert's across Claiborne from the stadium, and then get some wings at Bayou Hot Wings near Roberts or Felipe's mexican.
Good suggestions there. I would just add that even at 6:00 at the tailgate it will likely be very hot. You may want to hit the tailgate for a bit then go to the Boot for the a/c till you're ready to go to the game.
Wavefan
Trickle

Make sure you wander around the tailgate village in the middle of campus. You will find many folks happy to greet you and share some food and whatever kind of beverages they have. I would also wish you luck on the bulldog game against so miss, but I don't think state will need any luck to win that one for you.
Forever TU
Surge

Sader to answer your question some will go empty but TAF takes a chunk to use.

They Are selling Pick3s in Westfeldt though.
MStateDawg
Trickle

I got some tickets on the east side, section 204. Can't wait for some football!