Prediction of football wins for Tulane in 2015 season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

I predict four. If Tanner Lee stops throwing interceptions I would move it up to six.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

let's see here.... 1- Special Teams...ain't really special....2-Passing Game...well he does drop back.....3- Receivers...Open casting call.... 4- OLineman...."HOLD On, I commin'" and an added bonus "O-Lay" blocks ..... 5- Defense...well "Speedy" is on the job there, so no too many complaints...all adds up to a monumental THREE win Season and a "Lifetime" contract extension for CJ
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

Call me crazy, but I think we can win seven or eight, possibly more. I am stone-cold confident we win at least six (Maine, Temple, UConn, Army, SMU, and Tulsa.)

I think we have a shot at upsetting Duke in the opener, and if we do, that could give our guys some serious self-confidence that could carry over the entire season.

I don't think we'll beat Ga. Teach at Atlanta.

I think we'll crush Maine.

I think we stand a chance against UCF.

I think we'll beat Temple.

I think we stand a chance against Houston.

I think we stand a chance against Navy.

I think we stand a chance against Memphis.

After that I think we'll blow through the tail end of the schedule.

As bad as we looked last year, this year's schedule is full of winnable games. The only game I see us as having very little shot at winning is at Georgia Tech.

BTW I predicted 12-0 in the summer of '98.
God Bless Everyone!
cajunfanatico
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:Call me crazy, but I think we can win seven or eight, possibly more. I am stone-cold confident we win at least six (Maine, Temple, UConn, Army, SMU, and Tulsa.)

I think we have a shot at upsetting Duke in the opener, and if we do, that could give our guys some serious self-confidence that could carry over the entire season.

As bad as we looked last year, this year's schedule is full of winnable games. The only game I see us as having very little shot at winning is at Georgia Tech.

I wish I had as much confidence in Tulane's coaching staff as you AJ. The talent is there no doubt, but the kids can't win it on their own.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
greenphantom
Swell

While we stand a chance in a lot of games, I'm still not sold that we will have a very good year. I see 4 wins, maybe a couple more if things go the right way. Defense should be pretty good but offense will struggle unless Breaux bounces back and one of the freshmen WRs turns into a beast.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:Call me crazy, but I think we can win seven or eight, possibly more. I am stone-cold confident we win at least six (Maine, Temple, UConn, Army, SMU, and Tulsa.)

AJ... I looking up my Patsy Cline CD..."Crazy..... Crazy for fellin' so...." lyrics and music by Willie Nelson
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

6-6. Schedule isn't really tough. Back end very manageable.
breaker
Ripple

I will go with four, but that is with the team in its current state. I'm afraid we aren't done with regards to academic issues though, and if we lose any more key players my projected win total could go as low as 2. We still have the Price's, and other than a year more experience for the O-line and maybe improvement at running back with Kelley back and Badie and Hilliard having more experience - I just don't see where we have improved.
Eaglewave
Swell

Last year's schedule was full of winnable games including the Georgia Tech game. Our coaching staff doesn't give me any confidence in winning more than 3 games. I am scared of what Tanner Lee and his WR's corps will bring to the table as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

People want him to go away yet...
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

We are going to win a couple we are not supposed to win early. We are going to lose a couple late we are supposed to win. That is football.

I give us a 55% of making a bowl. Next year we win 8 to 10 games and the Merican West.
Dave breslin
Swell

I'm hoping to win every game. That would be Priceless. Wait,I got this backwards. If we were Priceless we would go undefeated. Remember---1998 was Priceless!!!!
Dave breslin
Swell

I hope to win every game. That would be Priceless. Wait,I have that backwards. If we were Priceless we would go undefeated. Remember 1998 was Priceless!!!
hounddog
Low Tide

Dave breslin wrote:I hope to win every game. That would be Priceless. Wait,I have that backwards. If we were Priceless we would go undefeated. Remember 1998 was Priceless!!!
That was funny with a degree of truth to it. I say we win 3.
OUG
Riptide

You know, as much as people want to bag on the coaches' (i.e., "scheme"), the key really is QB play.

Early on, despite some mistakes, when Tanner Lee was healthy and confident, the offense showed promise.

In the first 6 quarters of the year against Tulsa and GT, We scored 52 points. Then Tanner Lee got hurt. We had over 500 yards of offense in the opener.

The offense was fine with Lee back against SE Louisiana.

Then the wheels just came off against Duke. We ran the ball exceptionally well in that game (215 yards -- well enough to win it), but turnovers and bad QB play killed us. And from there, Tanner's and the entire offense's confidence was shot. They were second-guessing themselves and tentative on the field, you could see it in the Rutgers game. We never recovered from that afternoon in Durham.

The one bright spot was the Houston game, where "early season Tanner" seemed to return, with 3 TD passes and 237 yards passing.

An Offensive Coordinator can't scheme around bad freshman QB play. When Tanner plays well, we will play well as an offense. We have the offensive line and team speed to run the ball against every single team we play, provided the QB play is competent enough to balance the offense.

Yes, I KNOW, that it's the Prices' responsibility to make sure Tanner is successful. And in spots last year, they did. But it wasn't consistent, and I think you can make a case that part of that consistency comes down to Tanner not being healthy and being a freshman. Look, let's face it -- in some cases he was just God-awful last year, and it wasn't the playcalling. He was throwing pics all over the field. The entire season will come down to whether or not he has developed enough to lead this team.
GreenLantern
Riptide

BTW, good post, OUG.

Being a quantitative sort of guy, here's how I would grade the coming season:
  • 4 wins or less - Wholesale changes required (entire staff)
  • 5 wins - Major coaching staff change required (coordinators)
  • 6 wins - Disappointingly average for a staff completing its fourth year ("average is the enemy of the good")
  • 7 wins - Hint of promise that we are displaying growth
  • 8-11 wins - Beginning of resurgence of Tulane (consider 2 year extension for CJ)
  • 12 wins - Start planning road trips to the Big 12, baby!
I predict 6 wins and another Christmas season spent in the dome at the NOLA bowl playing (*sigh*) ULaLa.
oliveandblue
Surge

Nobody is expecting a damn thing from this Tulane team.

That's almost a good thing. I think a few people sleep on the defense and they scramble to win six. The OC needs to be fired before I can go any higher. Things aren't going to be so bad this season. We'll go 2-2 in nonconference - and should surely survive league play in a weaker AAC West and break .500 there, too.
Jonathan
Riptide

Anyone expecting us to have a winning season tell us why and what games we will win. What bowl after we will go to. I want this badly and would be over the top but do not expect it.Four wins my prediction. If Tanner Lee throws no interceptions I move it up to six wins.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The Price offense has NEVER cracked the top 60 in points, yardage, or any other measurable statistic. Why should we think things will magically change? UConn, Temple, Army, SMU, and Tulsa all circle the Tulane game as a must win.

I think 4 wins is about as optimistic as I can get. I believe we've gotten better players, but the same old same old isn't going to get anything done. Poor play calling, clock management, special teams and discipline will doom this team to be watching while some 80 teams go bowling.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Jonathan, Tom Brady couldn't take snaps with this offense and go through the season without an interception. Get real, dude.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:The Price offense has NEVER cracked the top 60 in points, yardage, or any other measurable statistic. Why should we think things will magically change? UConn, Temple, Army, SMU, and Tulsa all circle the Tulane game as a must win.

I think 4 wins is about as optimistic as I can get. I believe we've gotten better players, but the same old same old isn't going to get anything done. Poor play calling, clock management, special teams and discipline will doom this team to be watching while some 80 teams go bowling.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it. Jonathan, Tom Brady couldn't take snaps with this offense and go through the season without an interception. Get real, dude.
As a point of clarification IT IS CJ'S OFFENSE. I agree w/all the other criticisms you have that are on CJ but people can't lose sight of the fact that this is the offense CJ wants. Firing Price will not change anything as long as CJ insist on trying to run the Saints offense.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yes, but Price has been the coordinator at other Universities, thus I need to stress his track record. He calls the plays, even if he didn't supply the playbook. He's never been a successful OC in his career. Couple that with a HC that's never been a HC (successful or otherwise) and doesn't even know what "game management" means, and we've got big problems.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Yes, but Price has been the coordinator at other Universities, thus I need to stress his track record. He calls the plays, even if he didn't supply the playbook. He's never been a successful OC in his career. Couple that with a HC that's never been a HC (successful or otherwise) and doesn't even know what "game management" means, and we've got big problems.
I agree w/your take on EP. However that doesn't change the fact that this is CJ's offense. He needs to be the on taking the heat.
IM42lane
Swell

Jonathan wrote: Anyone expecting us to have a winning season tell us why and what games we will win. What bowl after we will go to. I want this badly and would be over the top but do not expect it. Four wins my prediction. If Tanner Lee throws no interceptions I move it up to six wins.
Maine, Temple, UConn, Army, SMU, Tulsa (yes, that is only six, and yes, that is a sweep of November). WIN # 7 will be an big upset of somebody, but I am not sure of who that will be. SEVEN wins and a bowl invite --- and who cares where that will be. ROLL GREEN WAVE!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Jonathan
Riptide

Army and their offense has given Tulane major problems and losses in the past.
dpm wave
Swell

Here's how I see this year shaking out. Houston will be the pivotal game that decides if Tulane finishes 7-5/6-6 with a bowl invite or a very disappointing 3-9/4-8 campaign.

Duke, GT, UCF and Temple will all be losses and the lone win against Maine.

Lose to Houston and go to Navy/Memphis 1-5 will just result in a 1-7 team that beats UConn at Homecoming for their big win of the year.
Maybe win another game or 2 to finish off the year.

BEAT Houston and the odds of taking one or both of the road Navy/Memphis games increases 10-fold. Beat UConn to get to 3-5/4-4 and things start to click; then, Tulane wins out the final 3.