With the LSU series (FB) effectively dead, who is our rival for the future?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
oliveandblue
Surge

I honestly cannot figure out who is going to be our long-term rival. Everyone in the AAC either is on good terms with us (Memphis, Navy, SMU) or is occupied already (UCF/USF).

It kind of sucks to not have a fanbase that we can mutually go after for a season. I don't consider UL-Lafayette as a rival as we don't see enough of them and I'm actually not that bothered by them as a school.

Being a private school with a national student body doesn't help in this regard, either...

Eaglewave
Swell

We need to start winning some games before we even worry about a LSU series. Hell, our rival needs to be Temple after our last performance against them.
Ball Sumrall!
Dave breslin
Swell

I think our rival is US. We hate RD/SC. Beat them and we will be successful!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

UMASS. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

Was supposed to be USM. I'm not sure why we havent tried to schedule them instead of S.Alabama, UMASS, Army, Rice, ULL, etc. They have always brought a great crowd. I know they have their troubles, but I'd much rather play them than USA, UMASS, Army or Rice. I'm not a huge fan of playing ULL, but at least the atmosphere will be a good one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Funny story on our conference mates on rivalry.
UCONN coach trying to make UCF his rival.
http://m.stamfordadvocate.com/sports/ar ... 313770.php
The "rivalry" appeared to catch UCF by surprise. The school issued a statement saying it did not have any involvement in the creation of the trophy or an annual rivalry game with UConn. UCF coach George O'Leary told reporters prior to a speaking engagement in Orlando last week he knew nothing about the "Civil Conflict."

"My experience is you're more likely to have a rivalry against a team closer to where you live," he said. "When you go 10 states away, I think it's hard."
Here's UCONN's coach on the rivalry.
They don't get to say whether they're our rival or not," Diaco told reporters during a Monday conference call. "We might not be their rival, but they don't get to say whether they're our rival. That's for us to decide."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

George O'Leary is a Long Island guy & to his credit he still sounds like he hasn't left Islip. The Long Island Sound rivalry. It's too bad Coach O'Leary wasn't more forthcoming with his CV, he may still be coaching at Notre Dame.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

until Tulane can prove ti can win on a consistent basis there is no rival to be worried about... this is about being competitive with your most hated rival, whomever it may be...at present Tulane is not competitive, and is taken for granted by everyone on the schedule as a win...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I like Arresco and everything he is doing to promote the conference. The one thing he should do though is try and get rivalries started. Navy being put in the west sort of messes things up but this is what I would do. Pair up Tulane -Houston,Navy-SMU, Tulsa and Memphis in the west. In the east it would be UCF-USF,ECU-Temple and Cincy and UCONN. They should all be the last game of the year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

The series is dead because Tulane unlike Vandy was stupid to leave the SEC. LSU recruits all five star athletes. We are lucky to get a three. We are fourth in recruiting in Louisiana after LSU, U La La and La Tech. Terrible. We should be 2 every year.
msdos
Swell

sader24 wrote:Was supposed to be USM. I'm not sure why we havent tried to schedule them instead of S.Alabama, UMASS, Army, Rice, ULL, etc. They have always brought a great crowd. I know they have their troubles, but I'd much rather play them than USA, UMASS, Army or Rice. I'm not a huge fan of playing ULL, but at least the atmosphere will be a good one.
C-USA really fucked up with this. The only 2 schools in their conference that had a trophy and they had us on opposite divisions.

The American may not be the long term answer, but holy shit, it's better than that dumb ass shit C-USA calls a conference.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

All of the following would be meaningful rivals:

Pre Power Conference:
USM
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Memphis
ULL
LaTech
BYU
Wake Forest
Arkansas State

Post Power Conference:
LSU
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
TCU
Baylor
Northwestern
Duke
Stanford
Miami
Ole Miss
Miss State
Arkansas
BYU
Wake Forest
Missouri
Rutgers
Texas
Maybe Texas Tech

The distinction is made because we need home and homes, which power foes won't do unless we are in a power conference, and we cannot schedule a ton of 2 or 3 for 1s against power foes and be successful. Once we are in a power conference, it will be easier to get 1 for 1s or neutral site games against power foes.
Eaglewave
Swell

ULL, USA or USM should be our only options. Some of you are crazy if you believe otherwise. We can't even beat those schools on a consistent basis and some are bringing up LSU and the SEC? Please!

Our administration doesn't want big time football and it isn't anything we can do about it! Why stress! I am just hoping that CJ and company schedule enough winnable non conference and hope for some conference wins that will send us to a few bowl games every year instead of watching us go 2-10 and 4-8 like many of you love so much. If we had a different AD and HC who were committed to winning and big time sports, I would be singing another tune and begging for LSU to be back on the list. However, that's not the case! This staff is 0-2 vs ULL with losses to USA, UTSA, FAU, and more programs that a FBS status university located in New Orleans should beat by 20 points!
Ball Sumrall!
IM42lane
Swell

Any of the other ball clubs in the American Ath. West division who would keep Tulane out of the postseason championship game. Quit worrying about what there was in the past. This is 2015 (the 1900's are OVER). Only be concerned with what is relevant at this point and time. ROLL WAVE!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Eaglewave
Swell

IM42lane wrote:Any of the other ball clubs in the American Ath. West division who would keep Tulane out of the postseason championship game. Quit worrying about what there was in the past. This is 2015 (the 1900's are OVER). Only be concerned with what is relevant at this point and time. ROLL WAVE!!!
And our past isn't all that pretty!
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:All of the following would be meaningful rivals:

Pre Power Conference:
USM
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Memphis
ULL
LaTech
BYU
Wake Forest
Arkansas State

Post Power Conference:
LSU
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
TCU
Baylor
Northwestern
Duke
Stanford
Miami
Ole Miss
Miss State
Arkansas
BYU
Wake Forest
Missouri
Rutgers
Texas
Maybe Texas Tech

The distinction is made because we need home and homes, which power foes won't do unless we are in a power conference, and we cannot schedule a ton of 2 or 3 for 1s against power foes and be successful. Once we are in a power conference, it will be easier to get 1 for 1s or neutral site games against power foes.
Your post makes it seem like a done deal that Tulane will eventually get into a power conference. I say that, due to the (HUGE FAILURE) Tulane Model, we're less likely to get into a power conference than ever. We stand a better chance of having the AAC elevate into the sixth "Power" conference.

Cowen screwed us as President, and continues to do so today (and will into the foreseeable future.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

The Tulane Community couldn't care less about "rivalries" with second tier regional state universities like USM, ULALA, La. Tech and Arkansas State. Why are you thinking like Dickson, we should have no "rivalry" with any university that is not a national university? An AAU national university like Tulane has nothing to win and even depreciates its image for "rivalries" against the likes of the Arkansas State, ULALA, USM and La. Techs of the world? Enough of the past already! :x
oliveandblue
Surge

Wave755 wrote:The Tulane Community couldn't care less about "rivalries" with second tier regional state universities like USM, ULALA, La. Tech and Arkansas State. Why are you thinking like Dickson, we should have no "rivalry" with any university that is not a national university? An AAU national university like Tulane has nothing to win and even depreciates its image for "rivalries" against the likes of the Arkansas State, ULALA, USM and La. Techs of the world? Enough of the past already! :x
These are not academic rivalries - these are athletic ones. Some of the best rivalries are culture-shocks, anyway.

I would try to start a rivalry with SMU. We're divisional opponents and we are somewhat close in level right now. The games should be close and fun to watch.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

msdos wrote:
sader24 wrote:Was supposed to be USM. I'm not sure why we havent tried to schedule them instead of S.Alabama, UMASS, Army, Rice, ULL, etc. They have always brought a great crowd. I know they have their troubles, but I'd much rather play them than USA, UMASS, Army or Rice. I'm not a huge fan of playing ULL, but at least the atmosphere will be a good one.
C-USA really f**ked up with this. The only 2 schools in their conference that had a trophy and they had us on opposite divisions.

The American may not be the long term answer, but holy sh*t, it's better than that dumb ass sh*t C-USA calls a conference.
CUSA was horribly, pitifully run and the results are clear. Guess who first doubled down on his commitment to that conference and then became the Chairman of that conference? You really can't make this stuff up.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Dave breslin wrote:I think our rival is US. We hate RD/SC. Beat them and we will be successful!
This.
Wave755
Tsunami

oliveandblue wrote:
Wave755 wrote:The Tulane Community couldn't care less about "rivalries" with second tier regional state universities like USM, ULALA, La. Tech and Arkansas State. Why are you thinking like Dickson, we should have no "rivalry" with any university that is not a national university? An AAU national university like Tulane has nothing to win and even depreciates its image for "rivalries" against the likes of the Arkansas State, ULALA, USM and La. Techs of the world? Enough of the past already! :x
These are not academic rivalries - these are athletic ones. Some of the best rivalries are culture-shocks, anyway.

I would try to start a rivalry with SMU. We're divisional opponents and we are somewhat close in level right now. The games should be close and fun to watch.
We played Vandy every year for over 80 years until the Brown Brothers ended that rivalry in the 1980s? SMU, Rice, Ga. Tech, Duke, and Wake Forest are all national private universities we can now play often enough to constitute rivals. When I was at Tulane I knew many a student from both the Northeast and West who had never heard of Southern Mississippi, much less ULALA or Arkansas State? In the seventies we even played Stanford, those are the days I seek a return to for rivals, playing Tulane is a compliment for a regional state university, for Tulane's students and fans playing a regional state university is just another reminder of our diminished status which we are now positioned to "overcome" for athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:

We played Vandy every year for over 80 years until the Brown Brothers ended that rivalry in the 1980s? SMU, Rice, Ga. Tech, Duke, and Wake Forest are all national private universities we can now play often enough to constitute rivals. When I was at Tulane I knew many a student from both the Northeast and West who had never heard of Southern Mississippi, much less ULALA or Arkansas State? In the seventies we even played Stanford, those are the days I seek a return to for rivals, playing Tulane is a compliment for a regional state university, for Tulane's students and fans playing a regional state university is just another reminder of our diminished status which we are now positioned to "overcome" for athletics.
Much prefer Stanford,ND,USC and Miami.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:All of the following would be meaningful rivals:

Pre Power Conference:
USM
Tulsa
SMU
Houston
Memphis
ULL
LaTech
BYU
Wake Forest
Arkansas State

Post Power Conference:
LSU
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
TCU
Baylor
Northwestern
Duke
Stanford
Miami
Ole Miss
Miss State
Arkansas
BYU
Wake Forest
Missouri
Rutgers
Texas
Maybe Texas Tech

Your post makes it seem like a done deal that Tulane will eventually get into a power conference. I say that, due to the (HUGE FAILURE) Tulane Model, we're less likely to get into a power conference than ever. We stand a better chance of having the AAC elevate into the sixth "Power" conference.

Cowen screwed us as President, and continues to do so today (and will into the foreseeable future.)
If the power conferences expand to 16 or more or if there is a significant change in conference realignment concerning the Big 12/Pac 12/ACC, we are in even in our current situation. We are one of the most valuable schools outside of a power conference just by virtue of being the 2nd most attractive school in Louisiana, and being a member of the AAU doesn't hurt either.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:

Much prefer Stanford,ND,USC and Miami.
SMU makes more sense than any of the above, which would want us to play 2 or 3 for 1's. ND is an exception; I'd play them on their terms for the exposure, if we were headed in the right direction. At least with SMU we have a program that's going to be on our schedule every year, and isn't out of our stratosphere in terms of competitiveness. At this time we'd get crushed by Stanford, ND, USC and Miami. OU is going to put a beating on us, too.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

And, being in the City of New Orleans doesn't hurt either, does it? Competent leadership and "the sky is the limit," forget about Arkansas State, ULALA & USM (Forbes 553). Cowen squandered 1998 but new opportunities abound for Tulane athletics. :D