Tulane FB OOC schedules 2014 thru 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Green Wave
Swell

I put together a FB schedules chart from when Tulane started in the American(2014) out to 2023. The chart is based on 4 OOC games a year and right now balanced to reflect 2 home and 2 away games each year. I have broken the chart up to reflect Home and Away games separated further into types of conferences/divisions. P5, G5, and FCS. Included in the chart are open dates. It goes ten years with a total of 40 possible OOC games. 20 home and 20 away.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/tul ... n-wave.php

ROLL WAVE!
Last edited by Green Wave on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

This is a pie chart showing the percentage break down of each category including the open dates.

Last edited by Green Wave on Thu May 28, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

This is a pie chart of scheduled games only.

62.5% of games scheduled so far are with P5s. 16 games remain to be scheduled.
Last edited by Green Wave on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

reserved #3
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

reserved #4
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nice work there Green Wave!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

You can fill at least 1 spot in each year of the remaining years with open dates. It's pretty clear we will play 1 d2 at home every year and those games are scheduled less than a year in advance. I know it's the norm in college football these days but I wish we would do a little less of it. I'd like to see some sec games added if possible. Vandy, Kentucky, ms st come to mind although we just cancelled that. I believe LSU owes us a future home game, at least in theory. Another series with a Big 12 team would be nice, maybe one of the schools that isn't in our corner. I'd rather play USM than S. Alabama or ULL for that matter.
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:You can fill at least 1 spot in each year of the remaining years with open dates. It's pretty clear we will play 1 d2 at home every year and those games are scheduled less than a year in advance. I know it's the norm in college football these days but I wish we would do a little less of it. I'd like to see some sec games added if possible. Vandy, Kentucky, ms st come to mind although we just cancelled that. I believe LSU owes us a future home game, at least in theory. Another series with a Big 12 team would be nice, maybe one of the schools that isn't in our corner. I'd rather play USM than S. Alabama or ULL for that matter.
Agreed on both counts. Maybe get a Kansas State or Iowa State to travel to New Orleans. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that K-State was a doormat as well. They should still know what its like to be down.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
BC Wave
Swell

Nice chart.
Hate to quibble, but you listed two FCS teams as D2.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Why did you stop at 2023? Very RD of you. Though the effort is appreciated.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote:Nice chart.
I was going to say that as well. Plus swap out that purple color with red on the pie chart. lol. Too much purple for my taste. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

sader24 wrote:You can fill at least 1 spot in each year of the remaining years with open dates. It's pretty clear we will play 1 d2 at home every year and those games are scheduled less than a year in advance. I know it's the norm in college football these days but I wish we would do a little less of it. I'd like to see some sec games added if possible. Vandy, Kentucky, ms st come to mind although we just cancelled that. I believe LSU owes us a future home game, at least in theory. Another series with a Big 12 team would be nice, maybe one of the schools that isn't in our corner. I'd rather play USM than S. Alabama or ULL for that matter.
An honest question for you guys. Why the distaste for playing the Cajuns? Yulman will be packed and rockin' and rollin' for that matchup next year.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
An honest question for you guys. Why the distaste for playing the Cajuns? Yulman will be packed and rockin' and rollin' for that matchup next year.

Same reason P5's would prefer not to play G5's. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. No reason for us to play a pretty good Sunbelt team that can beat us, when we could play a school higher up the food chain that's not as good. Technically, we can't consider any game easy, but sometimes it the perception that matters. Beating a school like Indiana or Kentucky carries more weight perception wise nationally than beating a ULL or UTSA, no matter how good the latter may be.

And its why we shouldn't be playing SELA as the FCS school. If we're going to schedule an FCS team, we should be scheduling a lesser quality FCS school.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:Why did you stop at 2023? Very RD of you. Though the effort is appreciated.
I'm just guessing, but probably because we have data up to 2023 and not beyond 2023? Seems like a straightforward approach until we have a game booked further out to discuss.

Did you want an answer to that question or...?
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Same reason P5's would prefer not to play G5's. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. No reason for us to play a pretty good Sunbelt team that can beat us, when we could play a school higher up the food chain that's not as good. Technically, we can't consider any game easy, but sometimes it the perception that matters. Beating a school like Indiana or Kentucky carries more weight perception wise nationally than beating a ULL or UTSA, no matter how good the latter may be.

And its why we shouldn't be playing SELA as the FCS school. If we're going to schedule an FCS team, we should be scheduling a lesser quality FCS school.
Fair enough, though I guess the Cajun athletic program takes a different approach. We seem to play an in-state FCS rival most years, Southern, McNeese (who usually fields a very good team), Northwestern State, etc. I think it helps in recruiting within the state to play other state schools and hopefully beat them.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
TXWave88
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Fair enough, though I guess the Cajun athletic program takes a different approach. We seem to play an in-state FCS rival most years, Southern, McNeese (who usually fields a very good team), Northwestern State, etc. I think it helps in recruiting within the state to play other state schools and hopefully beat them.
I dont think beating up on FCS teams helps us in recruiting at all. I dont think it helps when you step down in competition. Your schedule helps in recruiting when you are playing up vs playing down. LSU playing Tulane or ULL does not help it win recruits. Playing in the SEC helps win recruits because they play P5 schools is their selling point in this area. If we can schedule the big name brand that doesn't pack much of a punch, that is probably the best bargain. If you can schedule big P5 teams at your place, that is the biggest boost you will get in recruiting in regards to scheduling. If you get beat bad in all those games, it does not make much of an impact anyways.

Also, no offense to ULL as they could beat several teams in other conferences, but the Sunbelt teams can't schedule down in FBS. Only way they can schedule down for rent a wins is FCS as they were the lowest FBS ranked conference. Even though we are not world beaters, we still have conferences below ours that we could schedule. The link below ranks the conferences. I am sure this is debatable, but it was the first link I saw in regards to conference rank.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football ... f_Men.html
Green Wave
Swell

OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Why did you stop at 2023? Very RD of you. Though the effort is appreciated.
I'm just guessing, but probably because we have data up to 2023 and not beyond 2023? Seems like a straightforward approach until we have a game booked further out to discuss.

Did you want an answer to that question or...?
RD would have probably carried it out further. I did it for 10 years.

Answer is yes there are three other games scheduled. Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and BYU.

2024 at Oklahoma and 2025 at Ole Miss. BYU is the last one. Strange thing is there is no year and no location listed yet. It could be just about anytime at this point.
ROLL WAVE!
Green Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
I was going to say that as well. Plus swap out that purple color with red on the pie chart. lol. Too much purple for my taste. :mrgreen:
D2 and Purple. :oops:

Done and Done.

OMG I am a Tulane fan and I used purple on my charts! Sorry TPS. Would you believe I was thinking Mardi Gras colors? ;) ;)
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Green Wave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
D2 and Purple. :oops:

Done and Done.

OMG I am a Tulane fan and I used purple on my charts! Sorry TPS. Would you believe I was thinking Mardi Gras colors? ;) ;)
Much better!
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

TXWave88 wrote: I dont think beating up on FCS teams helps us in recruiting at all. I dont think it helps when you step down in competition. Your schedule helps in recruiting when you are playing up vs playing down. LSU playing Tulane or ULL does not help it win recruits. Playing in the SEC helps win recruits because they play P5 schools is their selling point in this area. If we can schedule the big name brand that doesn't pack much of a punch, that is probably the best bargain. If you can schedule big P5 teams at your place, that is the biggest boost you will get in recruiting in regards to scheduling. If you get beat bad in all those games, it does not make much of an impact anyways.

Also, no offense to ULL as they could beat several teams in other conferences, but the Sunbelt teams can't schedule down in FBS. Only way they can schedule down for rent a wins is FCS as they were the lowest FBS ranked conference. Even though we are not world beaters, we still have conferences below ours that we could schedule. The link below ranks the conferences. I am sure this is debatable, but it was the first link I saw in regards to conference rank.

My line of thinking was not necessarily the benefits of playing FBS versus FCS, but the benefits of playing in-state opponents from the perspective of fan interest, rivalry, and recruits. And while I agree we'd all like to see Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc at our respective home fields, those game are few and far between.

The Cajun Field record crowd of over 42,000 fans was for a game not against Alabama (who has played at Cajun Field), but against Southern University. An overflow crowd, a big gate, a great gameday atmosphere, a win, and plenty of eyeballs watching the game and who enjoyed it enough to come back for more. What's not to like about that?

As for how the G5 conferences rank from year to year, that's always going to fluctuate. Last year the MWC finished first, C-USA second, and the AAC third. While the Belt finished dead-last, the year before we finished first amongst the non-AQ's. Below the P5 level, there's not going to be a whole lot of difference, at least not in the nearterm.
DrBox
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:
Answer is yes there are three other games scheduled. Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and BYU.
BYU - is that just a road game? Another road liability?
That BYU game in the Dome was supposedly our payment for Alabama backing out. So why would we have to go to BYU?
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
TXWave88 wrote: I dont think beating up on FCS teams helps us in recruiting at all. I dont think it helps when you step down in competition. Your schedule helps in recruiting when you are playing up vs playing down. LSU playing Tulane or ULL does not help it win recruits. Playing in the SEC helps win recruits because they play P5 schools is their selling point in this area. If we can schedule the big name brand that doesn't pack much of a punch, that is probably the best bargain. If you can schedule big P5 teams at your place, that is the biggest boost you will get in recruiting in regards to scheduling. If you get beat bad in all those games, it does not make much of an impact anyways.

My line of thinking was not necessarily the benefits of playing FBS versus FCS, but the benefits of playing in-state opponents from the perspective of fan interest, rivalry, and recruits. And while I agree we'd all like to see Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc at our respective home fields, those game are few and far between.

The Cajun Field record crowd of over 42,000 fans was for a game not against Alabama (who has played at Cajun Field), but against Southern University. An overflow crowd, a big gate, a great gameday atmosphere, a win, and plenty of eyeballs watching the game and who enjoyed it enough to come back for more. What's not to like about that?

As for how the G5 conferences rank from year to year, that's always going to fluctuate. Last year the MWC finished first, C-USA second, and the AAC third. While the Belt finished dead-last, the year before we finished first amongst the non-AQ's. Below the P5 level, there's not going to be a whole lot of difference, at least not in the nearterm.
cajun, playing in-state creates fan interest, but you also have to win the game. There's no benefit to Tulane playing SELA if they lose, when they could have played Southern and won. We'd get a better gate and gameday atmosphere, with less chance of a downside (Loss). As for it helping recruiting, that's only a benefit to the lower tier team. LSU would get no recruiting advantage for beating Tulane, while Tulane would gain a big boost with a win. Put Tulane in LSU's place, and ULL in Tulane's place and you have the same thing. Yes it would benefit ULL to beat Tulane, much more so than it would benefit Tulane by beating ULL. To be what we want and deserve to be, we should expect to beat ULL.
sader24
Tsunami

We have very little to gain by playing ULL. We are trying to move up not down. We are above ULL in the college football pecking order and status wise, why help legitimize an instate team that we recruit against. If they go 11-1 they end up in the New Orleans Bowl, if we go 11-1 we end up in a much better bowl and probably a major bowl.
cajunfanatico
Swell

sader24 wrote:We have very little to gain by playing ULL. We are trying to move up not down. We are above ULL in the college football pecking order and status wise, why help legitimize an instate team that we recruit against. If they go 11-1 they end up in the New Orleans Bowl, if we go 11-1 we end up in a much better bowl and probably a major bowl.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
sader24 wrote:We have very little to gain by playing ULL. We are trying to move up not down. We are above ULL in the college football pecking order and status wise, why help legitimize an instate team that we recruit against. If they go 11-1 they end up in the New Orleans Bowl, if we go 11-1 we end up in a much better bowl and probably a major bowl.
Sorry you don't agree, Cajun, but its a fact. Look at it from the perspective of someone not interested in either school, say, someone from Iowa. They see:

1. Better name recognition
2. Better Conference affiliation
3. Higher ceiling as far as Bowl invites go.

Tulane wins in all categories, whether you agree or not. Its no different than comparing a Northern Illinois to Minnesota. The casual fan sees G5 MAC vs P5 B1G, and just assumes that Minnesota is the better team, when in reality N Ill would probably have won that game.