Tulane cancels football game with Mississippi State

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

Is Dickson crazy? We should be adding as many home and home series with SEC and ACC teams as we can get! What is the reason for this cancellation? Dickson's Georgia Tech cancellation was a major embarrassment to our Tulane program.

JerseyWave
Riptide

It is being reported that Tulane owes $350,000 to Miss St for canceling the game. Fire Rick Dickson!
IM42lane
Swell

More fuel for the 'fire' . . .
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:It is being reported that Tulane owes $350,000 to Miss St for canceling the game. Fire Rick Dickson!
I legit cannot think a valid reason for this.....they will be breaking in a new QB and we will have a JR QB. This hurts our ability to schedule P5's along with hurting a long time relationship with Miss ST. This is just ridiculous if true.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I just googled the phrase "Tulane cancels game vs Miss St" and all of the hits make Tulane look bad. I'm guessing we are probably swapping Miss St with Miss Vallley St. Lol
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

We'll probably replace them with a terrible home game nobody wants to see. We need games like this. Just mind blowing how this guy operates. I still haven't renewed my tickets and I'm getting closer and closer to just saying screw it.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The only possible basis is 1) the buyout was very low as it was an old contract or 2) he has a big time replacement coming for a game in the Dome.

If the buyout is $350k as some have said, then wow just wow.
TURVS71
Swell

Just another in the continuing mismanagement of the Tulane Athletic program orchestrated by a person that is so out of touch with the current college football world. Let's just criticize and slam those that lead a campaign to rid the university of this "dinosaur" athletic director....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Eaglewave
Swell

Terrible! As much as I want to keep bowl friendly schedules until we become serious about a winning football program, you really need these games here and there to continue to draw interest from fans, the community, P5 overlooked recruits, top recruits who want to go to a place where they can start early in their career, and FBS transfers.

This is ridiculous.
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Well I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet because there is another piece to this scheduling puzzle.

But the safe money says that this cancellation was the result of trying to accomodate someone like Rice coming to Yulman to increase revenues in 2016. Said differently, this has nothing to do with improving the football program and everything to do with Dickson being able to play "CYA".

But that's exactly what you'd expect from an organization that outright rejects the concept of accountability for this long. Employees main goals become self preservation.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:Well I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet because there is another piece to this scheduling puzzle.

But the safe money says that this cancellation was the result of trying to accomodate someone like Rice coming to Yulman to increase revenues in 2016. Said differently, this has nothing to do with improving the football program and everything to do with Dickson being able to play "CYA".

But that's exactly what you'd expect from an organization that outright rejects the concept of accountability for this long. Employees main goals become self preservation.
Well how much meat is on the bone when paying $350k (as reported). We already had an open home game available.

Looks like Kushner is on it, we shall see.
TU23
High Tide

The only way I can accept this is if it was done to protect a long term series with another P-5 team. For instance, if we are scheduling Vandy or Northwestern for a 2 and 2, I'd be ok with it. If we are scheduling Rice, I'll be :cens_red:
RobertM320
Green Wave

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... pi_st.html

Supposedly, we're lining up some "attractive opponent, and having that date available makes it easier to schedule. Lets see if their version of "attractive opponent" and our version are similar. I'm willing to bet its not.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:Well I'm not going to jump to any conclusions yet because there is another piece to this scheduling puzzle.

Well how much meat is on the bone when paying $350k (as reported). We already had an open home game available.

I just got the scoop. The deal called for us to only get $350K for playing there. That's so low with today's payouts. Instead we are going to get $1.2 million to play at XYZ to open 2017. I know XYZ but I can't disclose it (it's not an SEC school). Sorry. No PM's either. People will be shocked and happy how this turns out. We will get a home game to replace Miss St in 2016 possibly Ole Miss at Yulman if a date can be worked out.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. Will you give us all the info when you are allowed!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

I just got the scoop. The deal called for us to only get $350K for playing there. That's so low with today's payouts. Instead we are going to get $1.2 million to play at XYZ to open 2017. I know XYZ but I can't disclose it (it's not an SEC school). Sorry. No PM's either. People will be shocked and happy how this turns out. We will get a home game to replace Miss St in 2016 possibly Ole Miss at Yulman if a date can be worked out.
If that's the case, then good news.
dpm wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:(it's not an SEC school).
Well. It's obviously not a Group of 5 school.
HIGHLY unlikely to a PAC-12 school.
Not likely to be BYU.
ND opens with Temple.

So, it must be either an ACC, B1G or Big 12 school.

That narrows it down considerably.

I'm going with at FSU.
Last edited by dpm wave on Mon May 18, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

I'm told this game was cancelled awhile back not sure why it wasn't announced until today. Maybe because Miss St is having trouble filling it. Tulane wanted more money to play but Miss St. refused. But as usual we look bad in the media for canceling it the way it came out.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:
Not likely to be BYU.
ND opens with Temple.

Not ACC. No more hints! :computer: :computer: :computer:
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

So I guess I need some help here. So we are essentially giving up $700k to get $1.2mm. We had to clear up a 2016 date to accommodate the P5 for a home game (in NOLA) with them? Do we have to pay this unnamed opponent to play here? What is their buyout if they choose to not honor the 2017 game? Is it worth it to piss off a regional SEC school?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. Will you give us all the info when you are allowed!
Yes. But it's a big deal. Hopefully Tulane announces it with a splash.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

I'm told this game was cancelled awhile back not sure why it wasn't announced until today. Maybe because Miss St is having trouble filling it. Tulane wanted more money to play but Miss St. refused. But as usual we look bad in the media for canceling it the way it came out.
Right. The development itself may be positive but Dickson still managed to screw up the PR aspect of it. ;)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
dpm wave wrote:
Not likely to be BYU.
ND opens with Temple.

Not ACC. No more hints! :computer: :computer: :computer:
Well to add fuel to the purely speculative fire, how about a Big 12 school with a high level of pull at the conference's front office?

If things keep moving in this direction, I might begin to believe that Fitts is actually doing something behind the scenes.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

So I guess I need some help here. So we are essentially giving up $700k to get $1.2mm. We had to clear up a 2016 date to accommodate the P5 for a home game (in NOLA) with them? Do we have to pay this unnamed opponent to play here? What is their buyout if they choose to not honor the 2017 game? Is it worth it to piss off a regional SEC school?
That's my read. Unless Dickson was dumb enough to give up $700K to get $1.2M only to have to spend another ~$1M on filling the schedule. Sadly, we can't rule out Dickson being that dumb.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

I don't know those answers. I do know the money today it much more than when we signed that deal with Miss St ten or so years ago.
Look at what Ohio St is now paying to play in Columbus. (no we are not playing them in 2017)
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... opponents/
According to the Associated Press, Ohio State will pay over $2 million in guaranteed money to Virginia Tech, Kent State and Cincinnati. All three programs visit the Buckeyes in Ohio Stadium this season.
Tulane Class of 1981