Bye bye Jonathan Stark

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
puffy
Surge

Jonathan wrote:Was Ricky Tarrant the best of the group that left. Was he not Freshman Basketball player of the year by CUSA
For my money, Josh Davis was more valuable. A big who could defend, score on the interior and rebound is gold.

Guards like Tarrant are a dime a dozen in college; high usage, low efficiency guards who put up big numbers on an average-to-mediocre team. I think Stark put up similar numbers his freshman year.

If Tulane is going to get out of its 15 year muck, it needs to have legit D1 talent, depth and experience. This incoming class plus Morgan collectively are more talented than the most talented players that have left the program in the last three seasons. It's EC's job now to get them to buy in and have the core stay together for a couple of seasons. If they are going to routinely beat Memphis & UConn, they have to do it with chemistry, experience and execution, because those schools will always be more talented. That remains to be seen...

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:T-P:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... _index.ssf

High school gym reason for at least one transfer.
Good to read that. Now maybe people will cut Conroy some slack and see what he faces.
The sad part we can''t even fill the place and haven't for the last 15 years. For most of the season it goes more than half empty. We can't fill Yulman it now goes more than have empty. Baseball draws less then 500 now about the same as basketball it goes about more than half empty. We have one of the smallest fan bases in D1 athletics and it keeps getting smaller. It would actually be nice to fill these small venues once in awhile. Every kid wants to play on a big stage. Some get the opportunity and others don't have the talent to allow for it.
The answer is not to cut Conroy slack, the answer is to ask why we have the kind of coaches who would take a job with this facilities plan.

The number of fans in the seats DOES NOT have anything to do with the size of the fanbase. Just because people aren't there doesn't mean they aren't Tulane fans, it just means they have quit on the Cowen/Dickson Tulane Model which continues to produce disastrous results. They all know that nothing has changed and would come back if they tried anything new and successful.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:
The next player that leaves Tulane and becomes a breakout star will be the first.
Oh ok. Guess there's nothing to worry about. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Good to read that. Now maybe people will cut Conroy some slack and see what he faces.
The sad part we can''t even fill the place and haven't for the last 15 years. For most of the season it goes more than half empty. We can't fill Yulman it now goes more than have empty. Baseball draws less then 500 now about the same as basketball it goes about more than half empty. We have one of the smallest fan bases in D1 athletics and it keeps getting smaller. It would actually be nice to fill these small venues once in awhile. Every kid wants to play on a big stage. Some get the opportunity and others don't have the talent to allow for it.
The answer is not to cut Conroy slack, the answer is to ask why we have the kind of coaches who would take a job with this facilities plan.

The number of fans in the seats DOES NOT have anything to do with the size of the fanbase. Just because people aren't there doesn't mean they aren't Tulane fans, it just means they have quit on the Cowen/Dickson Tulane Model which continues to produce disastrous results. They all know that nothing has changed and would come back if they tried anything new and successful.
Well stated.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

That's really brilliant. Did the guy not know the size of the facility and fan base before signing. A bunch of BS knocking the fan base. If he had any balls he would put his name out there. What a loser.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:

That's really brilliant. Did the guy not know the size of the facility and fan base before signing. A bunch of BS knocking the fan base. If he had any balls he would put his name out there. What a loser.
Was probably shown the SKC which is why we play one game a year there. That allows us to call it a home venue and show it to recruits.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:

Was probably shown the SKC which is why we play one game a year there. That allows us to call it a home venue and show it to recruits.
No he probably wasn't. Before this year we haven't played there since Dave Dickerson.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:

No he probably wasn't. Before this year we haven't played there since Dave Dickerson.
We have played there under EC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote:

Agreed. I don't care if he was shown the SKC if he knew anything about the program he'd have known where most home games are played
Jonathan
Riptide

Who cares. He has gone.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I did some checking since posting yesterday.
First off. As far as the high school gym quote, let's just say it came from a parent who's kid played here prior to the multi million dollar Devlin renovations. Someone that perhaps wants to play on a "big stage".

Back to Stark. It was a mutual thing. Let's just say he liked to play offense over defense.
Being forced to play a tough defense could perhaps hurt offensive numbers.

On this rare occasion I have to agree with Jonathan "Who cares. He has gone".
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The $10 million took out 400 seats so the HS gym comment would still hold. In fact it would be even more true.

So the staff ran off their starting PG. They scouted and recruited him. They should have known that if it's true. Again this is information given after the fact which could certainly be made to cover his butt.

Yes he is gone as is our other PG. Somehow that's supposed to be a good thing. Well since he ran him off I'm sure he has super stud defensive minded PG all lined up to replace him.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The fact remains that under EC he has lost 3 of his 4 best players to transfer and his best recruit. That doesn't occur in any decent program. On the flip side we have signed two transfers who were not getting minutes (Davis 10 MPG, Morgan 15 MPG + coming off a bad injury). I hope Morgan works out like Davis.
I understand that publicly EC has to spin this as "hey this is the reality in college basketball" the shame is that internally the RD athletics program probably also uses that excuse in meetings instead of figuring out how to fix the problem.
As for the gym, I have long argued that it is a problem and coaches use it against us in recruiting and soliciting transfers. It also is a tangible example of our lack of commitment. Even if we fix this mess, Devlin will always limit our capacity to earn revenue and expand the fanbase. Spending $10mm and not adding seats on the an arena that is literally half the size of the next smallest peer facility was absurd. It wreaks that TU doesn't get it.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
Show Me wrote:

Agreed. I don't care if he was shown the SKC if he knew anything about the program he'd have known where most home games are played
I am sure he knew but the context is that he played well enough at TU to prove himself to a program with a better facility and fanbase, so why stay playing in a HS gym with 500 people watching. That's basically what we are, a minor league program for the programs that desire to make the NCAAs and put butts in the seats.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:The $10 million took out 400 seats so the HS gym comment would still hold. In fact it would be even more true.

So the staff ran off their starting PG. They scouted and recruited him. They should have known that if it's true. Again this is information given after the fact which could certainly be made to cover his butt.

Yes he is gone as is our other PG. Somehow that's supposed to be a good thing. Well since he ran him off I'm sure he has super stud defensive minded PG all lined up to replace him.
It was mutual. We don't draw in any sport at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Show Me wrote:

I am sure he knew but the context is that he played well enough at TU to prove himself to a program with a better facility and fanbase, so why stay playing in a HS gym with 500 people watching. That's basically what we are, a minor league program for the programs that desire to make the NCAAs and put butts in the seats.
I think this is why you see hundreds of kids transferring every year. Good ones want a better situation, others want a change of scenery. Some think they should be playing more. Bad ones get run off. We don't know where Stark is going yet.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:The $10 million took out 400 seats so the HS gym comment would still hold. In fact it would be even more true.

It was mutual.
Well if we don;t sign an experienced PG, then EC is an idiot. Sounds like typical spin to me, until further notice of course. You don;t go into your make or break year with a 170# freshman PG with one decent offer and absolutely no depth, it's pure insanity.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

It was mutual.
Well if we don;t sign an experienced PG, then EC is an idiot. Sounds like typical spin to me, until further notice of course. You don;t go into your make or break year with a 170# freshman PG with one decent offer.
I never said it was a good thing. I'd prefer he'd stayed. But the team concept is pushed by this staff.
They need kids that buy into that system. You can't have players that think as individual's in this system. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There are 343 D1 basketball schools. Each has the ability to have 13 players on scholarship. That means that there are 4,459 scholarship players in D1. If 650 of them transfer every year (I'm taking the high end of the last 4 years) that's 15%. Any year that has more than 2 players leave the program before they graduate means you have more than the average # of transfers. We've averaged 4, or double the average. Something isn't right.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:There are 343 D1 basketball schools. Each has the ability to have 13 players on scholarship. That means that there are 4,459 scholarship players in D1. If 650 of them transfer every year (I'm taking the high end of the last 4 years) that's 15%. Any year that has more than 2 players leave the program before they graduate means you have more than the average # of transfers. We've averaged 4, or double the average. Something isn't right.
Yes. More than half that left should have never never never been signed under the old staff to begin with. Of all those transfers the only one I would have wanted to keep would be Tarrant. Davis graduated from Tulane. And if you remember he transferred here from NC St. Stark filled in for Tarrant admirably.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

The "mutual " lingo is for media purposes.

As for not drawing we don't draw in the two major sports b/c we don't have the facilities to attract quality coaches and players that would make us winners.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

As for not drawing we don't draw in the two major sports b/c we don't have the facilities to attract quality coaches and players that would make us winners.
We can agree to disagree on why. But the fact remains we don't draw at Tulane and we have a very small fan base because of years of failure.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Show Me wrote:

I think this is why you see hundreds of kids transferring every year. Good ones want a better situation, others want a change of scenery. Some think they should be playing more. Bad ones get run off. We don't know where Stark is going yet.
The real problem is that we are lesser program where our better players transfer out and we get players with potential flaws coming in, which is all on TU.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Show Me wrote:

The real problem is that we are lesser program where our better players transfer out and we get players with potential flaws coming in, which is all on TU.
Yes. But look on the bright side. Ssome of the better programs have guys leave early as well. They turn pro. lol
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

We can agree to disagree on why. But the fact remains we don't draw at Tulane and we have a very small fan base because of years of failure.
Regardless of context and the fact that the speaker is anonymous, if indeed he was the father of a former Tulane player who transferred out, then his comment gives some insight into both what's important to the kids playing and how the facility is viewed by those who are not Tulane alumni or life-long fans.
"I would think it would be more playing on a bigger stage. If you look at it, it seems like you are playing in high school gym with no fan base and you if you get to the point where you can play in front of a larger fan base in a nicer facility, you know what I mean."
Unfortunately, there's a chance that same sentiment will ultimately be applied to Yulman by players considering transferring out. The Wave needs wins, big ones, and lots of 'em soon to hang on to and recruit the best talent available. Yulman packed with rabid Wave fans would be an almost unique experience at our level of play and would certainly be a challenging place for opposing teams to compete and win. A mostly empty Yulman will be viewed by opposing teams and fans as not much of an upgrade over a top high school program.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.