CJ on the "Hot Seat" for 2015

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Pullinmyhairout wrote:If you don't think he is coming back next year, you are ignoring history.
If you think he survives a 1-11 or 2-10 season, looking like this team has looked since the third game of last season, you're keeping your eyes closed to how terrible CJ's team really is. I'm not sure he lasts to the next game if we lose to Maine, especially if it's an ugly loss.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

If the Glazers weigh in on selecting a new coach I think it is unlikely Greg Schiano will be on their list.
Sean Wilson please let your ankle heal completely. If you feel pressure to get out on the field before you're 100%, please do your best to focus on your & the team's long term interests.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
Pullinmyhairout wrote:If you don't think he is coming back next year, you are ignoring history.
If you think he survives a 1-11 or 2-10 season, looking like this team has looked since the third game of last season, you're keeping your eyes closed to how terrible CJ's team really is. I'm not sure he lasts to the next game if we lose to Maine, especially if it's an ugly loss.
I don't think anyone is suggesting he shouldn't be fired at 1 or 2 wins. I think people are coming to the realization that we really don't judge by wins and losses, Cowen and Dickson do whatever they feel like doing at our expense and currently that means keeping the football coach for another year.
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

I agree with JJ.
DrBox
Riptide

Pullinmyhairout wrote:History is the best way to predict the future.

Teevens got 5 years and went 10-46, no bowl games.

CJ year 4, 12-27, one bowl game.
Good gracious; CJ could go 0-19 and still have a better record than Teevens. I hope RD doesn't notice that.
JerseyWave
Riptide

DrBox wrote:

Good gracious; CJ could go 0-19 and still have a better record than Teevens. I hope RD doesn't notice that.
Not a fair comparison. Take a look at the schedules Teevens was up against. Teevens at Tulane had Alabama, LSU, FSU, Miss St, North Carolina, and Boston College. Teevens coached against Gene Stallings, Mack Brown, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Bowden, Jackie Sherrill. CJ's schedules are a joke in comparison. They both coached against Tommy Tuberville.
wave97
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Not a fair comparison. Take a look at the schedules Teevens was up against. Teevens at Tulane had Alabama, LSU, FSU, Miss St, North Carolina, and Boston College. Teevens coached against Gene Stallings, Mack Brown, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Bowden, Jackie Sherrill. CJ's schedules are a joke in comparison. They both coached against Tommy Tuberville.
Thank you for bringing this up I think this gets lost on the generation of fans who can only remember the C-USA schedule. 1984: Miss State, Florida (Charlie Pell's SEC Champs, placed on probation the 9-1-1 team would have likely won the national championship), Kentucky, Ole Miss, Vandy, USM, FSU (17th), Virginia Tech (8-4), Pitt, Memphis State, LSU (Sugar Bowl 15th).
puffy
Surge

I look at a program like Duke and wonder if something like that is remotely possible at Tulane. Both have had similar, multi-generations worth of futility, and Duke was actually far worse than Tulane prior to the Blue Devils hiring of Cutcliffe. Even though this may be considered a rebuilding season of sorts for the Blue Devils, they'll probably still finish at it above .500 with another bowl game to end the season.

I recall some on here last year or so suggesting that Cutcliffe was overrated, but no one can argue today that he's done a phenomenal job of creating a respectable ACC program literally out of the dirt, one that will define his career when he decides to retire. They're going to name the field at Wallace Wade Stadium after he retires.

I don't know if a turnaround at Tulane is just around the corner, but I'm fairly certain this current athletic administration and coaching staff won't be at the helm when it does come.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Dickson locked up CJ's $1.2 million a year contract through 2020.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:Dickson locked up CJ's $1.2 million a year contract through 2020.
Exactly. He got a 10 year extension around the NOLA Bowl. And my sources tell me his buyout is "over the top". Maybe a deal can be worked out where he can move into the AD job or another position in athletic dept for the next 5 years. Tulane is on the hook for millions with this extension if CJ can't get this thing turned around soon.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:Dickson locked up CJ's $1.2 million a year contract through 2020.
Exactly. He got a 10 year extension around the NOLA Bowl. And my sources tell me his buyout is "over the top". Maybe a deal can be worked out where he can move into the AD job or another position in athletic dept for the next 5 years. Tulane is on the hook for millions with this extension if CJ can't get this thing turned around soon.

I am looking at this with Eyes Wide Shut...what did this moron do to deserve such an extension.. But I also look at it this way,under the current leadership (?)...they would just hire another moron.

After losing this Saturday to Maine...the AAC will hold a conference call and ask /tell Tulane to either get their act together, or get their azz's gone...At that point Prez Fitts will make the decision, after consulting with the Cowen Institute for the Study of Stupidity, to drop to D-2.... FYI the swing weight on my clubs are D-2 .. PING G-25's...with a G30 Driver and 3 wood
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

OMG! OMG!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Exactly. He got a 10 year extension right around the NOLA Bowl. And my sources tell me his buyout is "over the top". Maybe a deal can be worked out where he can move into the AD job or another position in athletic dept for the next 5 years. Tulane is on the hook for millions with this extension if CJ can't get this thing turned around soon.

No way, no freaking way. Someone needs to confirm this......media? Coaches show call?

Though it sort of makes sense, only a coach with that type of job security makes no changes to the offense and STs after last year. Only a coach with that type of job security talks like CJ regarding the first two games.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:

OMG! OMG!

ONLY AT TULANE
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Let us not confuse Curtis Johnson, with being a Coach... he is a "coach' in name only.... what a moron...yo' Curtis, go decorate some nuts ... I knew we (Tulane) were in trouble when I played in the Marshall Faulk tournament in San Diego a few years ago.. I asked Marshall about CJ...he, and everyone started laughing and they ordered another round of drinks, I reminded him, I did not drink any more...He said " After a few games with CJ's coaching, I would not be drinking any less"
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:I look at a program like Duke and wonder if something like that is remotely possible at Tulane. Both have had similar, multi-generations worth of futility, and Duke was actually far worse than Tulane prior to the Blue Devils hiring of Cutcliffe. Even though this may be considered a rebuilding season of sorts for the Blue Devils, they'll probably still finish at it above .500 with another bowl game to end the season.

I recall some on here last year or so suggesting that Cutcliffe was overrated, but no one can argue today that he's done a phenomenal job of creating a respectable ACC program literally out of the dirt, one that will define his career when he decides to retire. They're going to name the field at Wallace Wade Stadium after he retires.

I don't know if a turnaround at Tulane is just around the corner, but I'm fairly certain this current athletic administration and coaching staff won't be at the helm when it does come.
Of course it's possible. Likely even, with just competent management. But we have incompetent and dishonest management and a very crooked leader (Cowen), who decided to take a D1A athletic department and make it his own personal political plaything. For the rest of our collective lives, we'll mourn Tulane Athletics, while Cowen will write a book with a chapter called "How I did college athletics the way it should be done". We'll all live in misery but Cowen will have his talking point for that chapter.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Exactly. He got a 10 year extension right around the NOLA Bowl. And my sources tell me his buyout is "over the top". Maybe a deal can be worked out where he can move into the AD job or another position in athletic dept for the next 5 years. Tulane is on the hook for millions with this extension if CJ can't get this thing turned around soon.

No way, no freaking way. Someone needs to confirm this......media? Coaches show call?

Though it sort of makes sense, only a coach with that type of job security makes no changes to the offense and STs after last year. Only a coach with that type of job security talks like CJ regarding the first two games.
It's old news nobody really talked about with the new stadium taking the spotlight the last few years.
Plus his salary nearly doubled from $850K to $1.2M with the extension. I remember Tulane and RD announcing it at a basketball game years ago. RD walked out with CJ at mid court and made the announcement around the NOLA Bowl.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ough-2020/
A salary increase will also be part of the new deal, although those details were not released.

“I’m very pleased to announce an extension through 2020 for Coach Johnson,” athletic director Rick Dickson said in a statement. “He and his staff have quickly established a winning culture within the Tulane cornerstones of excellence in scholarship, sport and service. We look forward to working together through this new era for Tulane football, as we go forward into our bowl game, our new conference our and new stadium.”
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

I wonder what the buyout is though. That's really the key. The buyout isn't as simply as saying Years Remaining x Salary. The buyout could be $2million or less, or it could have various triggers that escalate or de-escalate it on either side -- all of that is negotiable. My guess is that we are not actually looking at an $8 million buyout. If so we should fire RD now and replace him with CJ's agent.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

It's old news nobody really talked about with the new stadium taking the spotlight the last few years.
Plus his salary nearly doubled from $850K to $1.2M with the extension. I remember Tulane and RD announcing it at a basketball game years ago. RD walked out with CJ at mid court and made the announcement around the NOLA Bowl.
A salary increase will also be part of the new deal, although those details were not released.

“I’m very pleased to announce an extension through 2020 for Coach Johnson,” athletic director Rick Dickson said in a statement. “He and his staff have quickly established a winning culture within the Tulane cornerstones of excellence in scholarship, sport and service. We look forward to working together through this new era for Tulane football, as we go forward into our bowl game, our new conference our and new stadium.”
That's not ten years, though it is still gross.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That's not ten years, though it is still gross.
Right. Ten years from the original deal.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

So what? Dickson just spent $100M and has almost nothing to show for it. Being on the hook for losing another ~$4M-$5M on CJ's contract is small potatoes in comparison. But the point is, we continue to allow incompetent people to continue making disastrous decisions and they will continue sinking the university.
puffy
Surge

I suspect that the buyout will be reasonable, particularly if Tulane suffers through a 1 or 2 win season this year.

It's pretty evident that Tulane is in no position to be a training ground for inexperienced career position coaches during their next head coaching hire.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:I suspect that the buyout will be reasonable, particularly if Tulane suffers through a 1 or 2 win season this year.

It's pretty evident that Tulane is in no position to be a training ground for inexperienced career position coaches during their next head coaching hire.
You say that as if we had a choice. We've seen this for going on 10 years now. No good coach will work for Cowen/Dickson. We will NOT get a better coaching prospect than CJ unless drastic, drastic changes are made at the administrative level and that would include an admission that the Yulman as "crown jewel" strategy was a $80M failure. I don't see anything close to that happening, so it will only get worse from here.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:So what? Dickson just spent $100M and has almost nothing to show for it. Being on the hook for losing another ~$4M-$5M on CJ's contract is small potatoes in comparison. But the point is, we continue to allow incompetent people to continue making disastrous decisions and they will continue sinking the university.
I agree. But I don't see Tulane paying $4M to settle an ex-coach and turnaround and pay the next coach $2M which is needed. The $100 million is donor money. The $4-5 mill contract is Tulane money.
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

It's fish or cut bait time for the University. If we don't take action in upgrading our AD & Football Staff, we will absolutely be asked to leave the AAC. ODU will be asked to join the AAC in our place. Cincinnati will move to the West. Tulane will have a spectacular stadium to host Millsaps, Sewanee & Rhodes of the Southern Athletic Association.