Football season tickets

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ajcalhoun
Swell

If this card is such a great idea why don't the Saints do it? Why doesn't LSU, or Alabama, or Texas, or Notre Dame?

God Bless Everyone!
OUG
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:If this card is such a great idea why don't the Saints do it? Why doesn't LSU, or Alabama, or Texas, or Notre Dame?
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... ckets.aspx
Almost half the teams in the NFL will deploy paperless ticketing this year, up significantly from last year.

Most teams are phasing in the practice, though the New York Jets announced earlier this month that all season-ticket holders would receive their tickets in the form of a smart card this year.

All told, 14 teams will offer mobile ticketing this year, and nine teams will use smart cards, said Brian Lafemina, NFL senior vice president, club business development. There is overlap between the two figures, with eight clubs offering both versions of paperless ticketing, so 15 teams in total will be offering non-paper tickets. That is a major jump from 2013, Lafemina said, declining to provide the number of teams from last year.

The NFL is hardly alone, with major efforts underway in the other major leagues to move to paperless as well. The Atlanta Braves this year began charging season-ticket holders who want traditional paper tickets (SportsBusiness Journal, April 28-May 4 issue).
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html
More and more major sports franchises are dropping hard tickets. The Bulls, for instance, eliminated hard tickets entirely before this season. Next year the 49ers will do away with hard tickets in favor of a mobile app or printing tickets. Sports franchises pitch digital entry as a convenience to fans and see it as a way to expand their electronic footprint.
The trend is CLEAR. Hardly anyone will be getting paper season tickets in 5 years for major sports teams. Acting like Tulane is somehow on the cutting edge here is hilarious. If anything, it's amazing to me that we finally won't be last on catching on to something.

I've been using these cards for MLB tickets for two years. This isn't some untested thing. Everyone loves them -- you keep it in your wallet and you never have to think about whether you remembered your tickets. You transfer them to other people via email and don't have to meet up with them. It couldn't be easier.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I have no doubt that it is the wave the future (again, no pun intended.)
I have no doubt that the teams that are doing it love the idea.
I have no doubt that someone who always uses their own tickets could see the convenience in it.

I also have no doubt that Tulane is trying to stem the flow of free tickets available to almost every Tulane event.

I hope the people that buy blocks of tickets in order to support Tulane either don't mind the extra effort to give them away or don't mind that are going to waste.
I hope Tulane likes empty seats.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:I have no doubt that it is the wave the future (again, no pun intended.)
I have no doubt that someone who always uses their own tickets could see the convenience in it.

I also have no doubt that Tulane is trying to stem the flow of free tickets available to almost every Tulane event.

I hope the people that buy blocks of tickets in order to support Tulane either don't mind the extra effort to give them away or don't mind that are going to waste.
:baeh: :shakingno: :fart: :stfu:
Wavetime
Swell

I miss the ticket stubs. I'm not a fan of the credit cards.
OUG
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:I have no doubt that it is the wave the future (again, no pun intended.)

Again, it is easier for STH to give the tickets away with the paperless tickets. You log on and email them to people, or you put them on stubhub. I am not seeing how this gets harder. It's way easier than with paper tickets.

All this does is make it easier to give unused tickets to people you know. I have no idea what you're basing the idea that it would be harder on.

You guys are focusing too much on the card itself. What this really is doing is making the tickets electronic properties that are easier to transfer. The card is just an added feature.
tgibson
Low Tide

*If you get that one without looking it up give yourself a pat on the back
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'm now a believer in the new ticket cards/system. I have to admit I'm old school but this is pretty cool. Here's my experience. I have a friend that takes me fishing that's currently a Saints season ticket holder. He told me Saint games are really becoming a pain and are very expensive to attend (he hates having to pay for preseason games). He expressed interest in going to see this week's Duke game. He told me he may drop the Saints for Tulane if we ever become competitive again. He needed more tickets than I had extra so I made a few phone calls to locate some extras. Here's how it went. A friend of mine sent me a couple of extra tickets via email. They went right into my ticket account once I accepted them. From there I clicked on the actual ticket with the barcode and emailed it right to my friend. I did all of this from my iPhone. It worked flawlessly. Now all that's left to see if he can get into the stadium once he prints them out.
It seems almost to good to be true.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:I'm now a believer in the new ticket cards/system. I have to admit I'm old school but this is pretty cool. Here's my experience. I have a friend that takes me fishing that's currently a Saints season ticket holder. He told me Saint games are really becoming a pain and are very expensive to attend (he hates having to pay for preseason games). He expressed interest in going to see this week's Duke game. He told me he may drop the Saints for Tulane if we ever become competitive again. He needed more tickets than I had extra so I made a few phone calls to locate some extras. Here's how it went. A friend of mine sent me a couple of extra tickets via email. They went right into my ticket account once I accepted them. From there I clicked on the actual ticket with the barcode and emailed it right to my friend. I did all of this from my iPhone. It worked flawlessly. Now all that's left to see if he can get into the stadium once he prints them out.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

I too was concerned whether the season ticket card would be a hassle. My experience was that I was able to transfer my 4 tickets that will not be used for the UH game to a buddy and then transfer all 4 of my Duke tickets to my iPhone all within 10mins. Surprisingly quick and efficient. I'll reserve judgement until I get into the stadium with my iPhone tix on Thursday night. Just my two cents.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I'm now a believer in the new ticket cards/system. I have to admit I'm old school but this is pretty cool. Here's my experience. I have a friend that takes me fishing that's currently a Saints season ticket holder. He told me Saint games are really becoming a pain and are very expensive to attend (he hates having to pay for preseason games). He expressed interest in going to see this week's Duke game. He told me he may drop the Saints for Tulane if we ever become competitive again. He needed more tickets than I had extra so I made a few phone calls to locate some extras. Here's how it went. A friend of mine sent me a couple of extra tickets via email. They went right into my ticket account once I accepted them. From there I clicked on the actual ticket with the barcode and emailed it right to my friend. I did all of this from my iPhone. It worked flawlessly. Now all that's left to see if he can get into the stadium once he prints them out.
Glad to hear it's working out for you.

This reminds me heavily of the situation when the T-P went down to 3 days. You would have thought the world was ending, when the reality is that technology has enabled much better methods for getting news than dirty printed paper dropped on your door step once a day. New Orleans absolutely abhors change, which is not terribly healthy.

Pretty soon it will all be on your phone and you won't even have the ticket with the barcode. Of course, the reason they can't do that yet is because they are just getting the wifi up and running.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:

This reminds me heavily of the situation when the T-P went down to 3 days. You would have thought the world was ending, when the reality is that technology has enabled much better methods for getting news than dirty printed paper dropped on your door step once a day. New Orleans absolutely abhors change, which is not terribly healthy.

Pretty soon it will all be on your phone and you won't even have the ticket with the barcode. Of course, the reason they can't do that yet is because they are just getting the wifi up and running.
Actually there's an option to send the tickets to Passport on your phone. I did this as a backup.
It's interesting because now Tulane has tracked the path of these tickets and has my friends email to market to.
Tulane Class of 1981
Forever TU
Surge

Also - I was informed that the ticket-takers sole focus will be scanning the tickets. Now only Tulane personnel will be in the day-of-game ticket booth. Should make that process a lot smoother.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Actually there's an option to send the tickets to Passport on your phone. I did this as a backup.
It's interesting because now Tulane has tracked the path of these tickets and has my friends email to market to.
I would confirm that the passport app has a barcode for the ticket and that accessing the tickets do not require a wifi connection. If not, you'll get to the game and not be able to access the tickets.

This is why it's crucial that the wifi works. And this is why only Rick Dickson would open a sporting venue in 2014 that didn't have wifi.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I would confirm that the passport app has a barcode for the ticket and that accessing the tickets do not require a wifi connection. If not, you'll get to the game and not be able to access the tickets.

This is why it's crucial that the wifi works. And this is why only Rick Dickson would open a sporting venue in 2014 that didn't have wifi.
Barcode does appear without wifi. It's like a digital wallet.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Curious TPS, enjoy your inside knowledge on Tulane athletics. How are you connected to the Tulane Athletic Department to get it?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:Curious TPS, enjoy your inside knowledge on Tulane athletics. How are you connected to the Tulane Athletic Department to get it?
I'm not in any way connected to the TAD.
Just been around long enough to have friends in all the right places. ;)
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

If the wifi goes down,like it does sometimes,will they postpone the game because you can't get in? Or will everyone "go across the street" to watch?
Dave breslin
Swell

Hey,TPS. Tell johnathen the truth or we will put you under a bright light and beat you with a rubber hose. HOW do you know soooo much?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote:Hey,TPS. Tell johnathen the truth or we will put you under a bright light and beat you with a rubber hose. HOW do you know soooo much?
:lol: 8-) :mrgreen: :psst: :warn:
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

Dave breslin wrote:If the wifi goes down,like it does sometimes,will they postpone the game because you can't get in? Or will everyone "go across the street" to watch?
I see what you're trying to do here, but wifi isn't needed to get into the game, and won't ever be.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
Dave breslin wrote:If the wifi goes down,like it does sometimes,will they postpone the game because you can't get in? Or will everyone "go across the street" to watch?
I see what you're trying to do here, but wifi isn't needed to get into the game, and won't ever be.
I see what you're trying to do here, but that's not necessarily true. The bar code readers are going to authenticate the ticket's validity from somewhere and connectivity is needed to do that.
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
I see what you're trying to do here, but that's not necessarily true. The bar code readers are going to authenticate the ticket's validity from somewhere and connectivity is needed to do that.
It would be done the same way that bar codes have always been scanned.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Hey, if everybody likes it then I am willing to admit that I was wrong. Roll Wave!
God Bless Everyone!
Dupergreenie
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
Dave breslin wrote:Hey,TPS. Tell johnathen the truth or we will put you under a bright light and beat you with a rubber hose. HOW do you know soooo much?
:lol: 8-) :mrgreen: :psst: :warn:
Yeah how do you know so much... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ;) ;) ;)