Pro Day

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Here's the story on Pro Day:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... 15aaa.html

Good luck to all of them.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

Doss cheated himself and his school last season. He can go pound sand.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Iinteresting read

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/01/24/ ... ng-report/

Red Flags - Work Ethic :o
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:Iinteresting read

Numerous comments question his attitude and work ethic. His lack of effort last season didn't go unnoticed by the scouts, and may have cost him.
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:Iinteresting read

Numerous comments question his attitude and work ethic. His lack of effort last season didn't go unnoticed by the scouts, and may have cost him.
Did anyone figure out why the apparent lack of effort? If he thought he was somehow saving himself for the draft, then as you suggest it may cost him in the end.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DrBox
Riptide

And yet this guy still has him in the 4th round.
He has first round ball skills from what I can tell - watching and reading. That lifts him up from some other real weaknesses.
greenphantom
Swell

I wish him well but I think 4th-5th rd is probably accurate. He always looked kind of stiff to me in coverage. I think he can make an NFL roster but this year's step up in competition showed that his ball skills were over hyped to an extent.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:I wish him well but I think 4th-5th rd is probably accurate. He always looked kind of stiff to me in coverage. I think he can make an NFL roster but this year's step up in competition showed that his ball skills were over hyped to an extent.
I'd be surprised if he goes that high. He's undersized, had the fewest bench presses of any DB at the combine (9) and had a horrible season in 2014. It won't go unnoticed that Doss racked up stats against weak competition, and when the schedule got a little bit tougher his stats went down the drain. He gave up over 100 yards receiving at least 4 times, and his film from Rutgers is going to kill him. I've seen him rated as low as the 34th DB in the class of '15. He'll go in the last two rounds, or sign as a free agent. Frankly, his stock was considerably higher a year ago.

I, too wish him well, but think he's making a big mistake. He should have stayed in school.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

What does he gain by coming back? Better draft stock? He's probably never going to be much better than a 4th rd pick and many people think he could get that this year. He's better off going pro assuming he can make even a practice squad, which he will, getting paid and focusing on football full time.
greenphantom
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:What does he gain by coming back? Better draft stock? He's probably never going to be much better than a 4th rd pick and many people think he could get that this year. He's better off going pro assuming he can make even a practice squad, which he will, getting paid and focusing on football full time.
He had a lot to gain, especially if he doesn't end up making a roster. He'd get another year of much needed development and an opportunity to get physically stronger. Could have solidified himself as a legit 3rd round pick.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:What does he gain by coming back? Better draft stock? He's probably never going to be much better than a 4th rd pick and many people think he could get that this year. He's better off going pro assuming he can make even a practice squad, which he will, getting paid and focusing on football full time.

A degree......oh never mind.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:

The reality of higher education is still based on a bunch of Scott Cowen sized myths. A 4th round draft pick will sign a ~$500K signing bonus and make ~$500K in the first year salary wise. Let's assume he turns out to be an NFL bust and is waived after the first year and never given another chance or earns another dollar playing football

Which career choice, enabled by a Tulane undergraduate degree, would give Doss comparable earning power? The avg undergrad starting salary is around $50K, so it would take 10 years of work (assuming constant employment) to equal 1 year of giving football a shot. If Doss plays out a rookie 4th round contract, he'll earn about $2M over 4 years. It's a no brainer.
Dupergreenie
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

The reality of higher education is still based on a bunch of Scott Cowen sized myths. A 4th round draft pick will sign a ~$500K signing bonus and make ~$500K in the first year salary wise. Let's assume he turns out to be an NFL bust and is waived after the first year and never given another chance or earns another dollar playing football

Which career choice, enabled by a Tulane undergraduate degree, would give Doss comparable earning power? The avg undergrad starting salary is around $50K, so it would take 10 years of work (assuming constant employment) to equal 1 year of giving football a shot. If Doss plays out a rookie 4th round contract, he'll earn about $2M over 4 years. It's a no brainer.

And say he is cut after his second year and his football career is over. He could take the money he has finish his degree and get a job.....
greenphantom
Swell

And what if gets drafted very late or not at all and never makes a roster?
cajunfanatico
Swell

greenphantom wrote:And what if gets drafted very late or not at all and never makes a roster?
Yup, in that case a successful senior year on the field could make a big difference.

While the situations are completely different, I contrast Doss opting for an early draft with Cajun WR Jamal Robinson. Robinson is a big guy with good hands and great jumping ability and who manages to snag most balls thrown in his general direction. He had a season ending injury in about the 4th game of the year and I was sure he would just heal up and head for the draft. Instead he applied for a medical waiver and was granted a fifth year with the Cajuns. According to Robinson, he wants to prove to the scouts that he can stay healthy for an entire year. We Cajun fans are obviously happy he thinks the way he does.
Profoundwizard
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
He had a lot to gain, especially if he doesn't end up making a roster. He'd get another year of much needed development and an opportunity to get physically stronger. Could have solidified himself as a legit 3rd round pick.
If he doesn't make an NFL roster he'll probably play professionally in another league, where he'll get paid for that year of development and opportunity to get physically stronger. So, that's not a whole lot to gain there. A degree is a good point, but he can probably get that in the offseason if he really wants it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

"Pro - Day" .... "Tulane" ... one is not like the other
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

I just realized there was no mention of Nick Montana participating in Tulane's pro day. Has he given up on Football or is he getting his own workouts through his dad?
Profoundwizard
Swell

Doss in the 5th round to Denver and Nixon in the 7th also to the Broncos
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to both.
greenphantom
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote:Doss in the 5th round to Denver and Nixon in the 7th also to the Broncos
Exactly what round I predicted when doss declared. He was not a 3rd pick. Got bad advice. Should have came back for Sr year.
Jonathan
Riptide

Fifth and Seventh round no pay day there and I do not see them sticking with Denver and in the NFL. In my opinion he should have remained at Tulane his senior year to get his degree and then took a shot for the NFL. He junior year at Tulane was not that good.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Doss makes the 53 man roster in Denver.