What does our baseball coach need to do to get us back to Omaha?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

My opinion recruit blue chip players like LSU A&M.

cajunfanatico
Swell

This is just my personal view of what Coach Pierce needs to do to get Tulane back to Omaha.

Win the AAC post season tournament to get an automatic bid to a regional.
Win the regional.
Win the super regional.

That should probably do it.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
IM42lane
Swell

cajunfanatico wrote:This is just my personal view of what Coach Pierce needs to do to get Tulane back to Omaha.

Win the AAC post season tournament to get an automatic bid to a regional.
Win the regional.
Win the super regional.

That should probably do it.
That sounds like a plan to me too!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Dupergreenie
Surge

Jonathan wrote:My opinion recruit blue chip players like LSU A&M.
Will you finally get off LSUs nuts? Come down and get some air. I'm sure the smell is terrible.
Wavetime
Swell

Andy Cannizaro for our hitting coach

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/56 ... on-thread/
51WaveBG
High Tide

Replace about half of the current team with real D! players.
sader24
Tsunami

Ur a genius Jonathan. In order to get us back to Omaha we have to recruit the best players. You should find Cannizaro's phone number and call him up and ask him how easier it is to recruit at LSU than Tulane and ask him if he would rather the LSU Head Coaching Job or Tulane Head Coaching Job if both paid the same salary. Tulane's Administration puts every road block possible in your way to win while LSU does the exact opposite. I'm starting to believe JJ is the only person on this site who really gets it.
Jonathan
Riptide

Start defeating LSU and U Conn.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A Miracle ... Actually,getting to Omaha is not that difficult...there are several "interstate" connections and many Airlines have several scheduled flights on a daily basis...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

Stay.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Stacked scholarships.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

Step 1: Shove the rally possum up your rectum.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
posse
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:Stacked scholarships.
You are absolutely correct. You hit the nail on the head.........Full ride may help us get those blue chip D1 athletes....Half a scholarship offer is still a significant amount of money for average family to pay.......Stacked scholarships, and significant pay raise for Pierce could help us keep him at Tulane. If not, then those incentives could help us attract a top notch replacement............Lets get it done now......
Pepper
Swell

posse wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Stacked scholarships.
You are absolutely correct. You hit the nail on the head.........Full ride may help us get those blue chip D1 athletes....Half a scholarship offer is still a significant amount of money for average family to pay.......Stacked scholarships, and significant pay raise for Pierce could help us keep him at Tulane. If not, then those incentives could help us attract a top notch replacement............Lets get it done now......
Might be the leverage he needs, especially with new leadership at the helm.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

For the simple minded that started this thread, I'll break it down and make it simple. Yes, recruiting better players helps. But even more straightforward is simply win the Regional. Then win the SuperRegional. Then you find yourself in Omaha. That's the ONLY way to get there. Period.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I despise the fact that this nonsense is allowed to continue. Just cut the old monster's throat already.
Wavetime
Swell

Forgive my ignorance.

Are we stacking scholarships now?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:Forgive my ignorance.

No
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes we do. Pierce asked for it in the negotiations and wouldn't have signed without getting it. We aren't at the level of some of the other privates yet as far as giving aid but TD is working on it. The program is in good shape. We wouldn't be getting players like Ross massey and Fraley w/out it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:

Yes we do. Pierce asked for it in the negotiations and wouldn't have signed without getting it. We aren't at the level of some of the other privates yet as far as giving aid but TD is working on it. The program is in good shape. We wouldn't be getting players like Ross massey and Fraley w/out it.
No. I ask Troy Dannen and DP this at our meeting every time and Tulane does not. If a player earns aid any baseball scholarship money is deducted from that amount. At Vandy that wouldn't be the case. Ask, email or tweet TD yourself he'll tell you we don't stack. Kids and parents are taking out loans to make up the difference. Many value the Tulane education that's a big part of why we can get those certain kids. Pierce has proven he can win with the current situation. However the more bullets they give him the easier it will be to get to the next level.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Right but they still get money other than the baseball scholarship. What you are implying is that if a player gets a 25% baseball scholarship that he and his family are on the hook for 75%. That's not the case. Never has been and never will be. Plus the legislative scholarships are still available. The legislators have resisted attempts at taking those away from them.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Right but they still get money other than the baseball scholarship. What you are implying is that if a player gets a 25% baseball scholarship that he and his family are on the hook for 75%. That's not the case. Never has been and never will be. Plus the legislative scholarships are still available. The legislators have resisted attempts at taking those away from them.
Here it is in simple terms. Whatever is given as aid from the Wilson Center is reduced from what was given from the Gibson Hall. They are not allowed to be stacked.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Right but they still get money other than the baseball scholarship. What you are implying is that if a player gets a 25% baseball scholarship that he and his family are on the hook for 75%. That's not the case. Never has been and never will be. Plus the legislative scholarships are still available. The legislators have resisted attempts at taking those away from them.
Here it is in simple terms. Whatever is given as aid from the Wilson Center is deducted from what was given from the Gibson Hall. They are not allowed to be stacked.
"Stacked" !!!....I remember the good ole days of "Drive In's" and what "Stacked" actually meant..... a trip to IHOP for pancakes !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Here it is in simple terms. Whatever is given as aid from the Wilson Center is reduced from what was given from the Gibson Hall. They are not allowed to be stacked.
That is stacking as they do get academic aid. We all want the program to get more but at this point it does get additional aid. In simple terms a player that gets a 25% baseball scholarship doesn't pay the other 75%.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That is stacking as they do get academic aid. We all want the program to get more but at this point it does get additional aid. In simple terms a player that gets a 25% baseball scholarship doesn't pay the other 75%.
Talking about aid. (Financial need based) Stacking referring to aid. If I'm poor and qualify for financial aid from Gibson Hall any money I receive from the Wilson Center is deducted from my need based aid that comes from Gibson Hall. The shortfall is borrowed in a loan to cover the $60K.
At Vandy that amount is "stacked" on top of my financial aid.
Tulane Class of 1981