What does our baseball coach need to do to get us back to Omaha?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Another plan expected to take place is the building of a short porch, tall wall in right field. DP is planning to build a team around that. Meaning he will be emphasizing and recruiting more left handed hitters to take advantage of that design. Hopefully it can improve our home field advantage when completed.
I am going to assume that DP's plan is now on a back burner

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Another plan expected to take place is the building of a short porch, tall wall in right field. DP is planning to build a team around that. Meaning he will be emphasizing and recruiting more left handed hitters to take advantage of that design. Hopefully it can improve our home field advantage when completed.
I am going to assume that DP's plan is now on a back burner
Yep maybe. But here's the wall.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad I got to hear the whole interview to hear what TD really said about stacking. He said since he's been here he's had a couple of people riding that horse on stacking and he said they don't understand what they are riding. He said that the program no longer faces the issues it was and that' b/c of the rule changes 2 to 3 years ago mandating more money be given to players and that it is given to less players. He said therefore the issue is moot. He didn't say it's moot b/c he doesn't want to deal w/it. He said it is moot b/c the rule change eliminated it as an issue. He said that Vandy, Rice and Tulane need to continue doing what they have always done and that is recruit a subset of players that can either pay or get need based aid. He said the program is set up to continue to be successful. Listen for yourselves at the 1:46 mark of the interview.

I will point this out too. We have all often overstated our success in baseball. The reason is that it comes at the end of the year and usually after we have had awful football and basketball seasons so any success gets magnified. The fact is the program has only finished in the top 25 5 times now. Four under RJ and once under DP. We are not a regular Omaha program. We are a regional program that once in a great while can break through and go further. A quarter of a century ago I felt as many others did that we were set up to win a NC in baseball. We had a stadium and other facilities that many other programs didn't have. Many schools just weren't trying in baseball. It's a whole lot tougher now as many schools have invested in their baseball programs. So TD has his priorities in order in that he understands football and basketball are where it's at.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

I agree the stacking argument is now stale and outdated. Especially in light that Tulane had (with still a little overhang today) a massive national advantage over the Vandys and Rices of the world with the legislative scholarships under RJ.

Tulane can succeed under the current rules and can win NCs in baseball. I look forward to being able to say that in the future about other sports.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Glad I got to hear the whole interview to hear what TD really said about stacking. He said since he's been here he's had a couple of people riding that horse on stacking and he said they don't understand what they are riding. He said that the program no longer faces the issues it was and that' b/c of the rule changes 2 to 3 years ago mandating more money be given to players and that it is given to less players. He said therefore the issue is moot. He didn't say it's moot b/c he doesn't want to deal w/it. He said it is moot b/c the rule change eliminated it as an issue. He said that Vandy, Rice and Tulane need to continue doing what they have always done and that is recruit a subset of players that can either pay or get need based aid. He said the program is set up to continue to be successful. Listen for yourselves at the 1:46 mark of the interview.

I will point this out too. We have all often overstated our success in baseball. The reason is that it comes at the end of the year and usually after we have had awful football and basketball seasons so any success gets magnified. The fact is the program has only finished in the top 25 5 times now. Four under RJ and once under DP. We are not a regular Omaha program. We are a regional program that once in a great while can break through and go further. A quarter of a century ago I felt as many others did that we were set up to win a NC in baseball. We had a stadium and other facilities that many other programs didn't have. Many schools just weren't trying in baseball. It's a whole lot tougher now as many schools have invested in their baseball programs. So TD has his priorities in order in that he understands football and basketball are where it's at.
Haha the couple of people were Pierce and Allen.
Love how you trash RJ's accomplishments. Rankings are for SEC schools. Skins on the wall are how you measure success.
Dannen said we need to recruit players that can afford our tuition. Yes stacking is moot because he can't get Tulane to change. Tulane doesn't do what Vandy and Rice do.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:Glad I got to hear the whole interview to hear what TD really said about stacking. He said since he's been here he's had a couple of people riding that horse on stacking and he said they don't understand what they are riding. He said that the program no longer faces the issues it was and that' b/c of the rule changes 2 to 3 years ago mandating more money be given to players and that it is given to less players. He said therefore the issue is moot. He didn't say it's moot b/c he doesn't want to deal w/it. He said it is moot b/c the rule change eliminated it as an issue. He said that Vandy, Rice and Tulane need to continue doing what they have always done and that is recruit a subset of players that can either pay or get need based aid. He said the program is set up to continue to be successful. Listen for yourselves at the 1:46 mark of the interview.

So if Rice & Vandy are in the same boat as us, we should be recruiting against them because somehow their players are not paying a dime to go to school there. How is that? Can we get those players to come to Tulane? Last time I checked those schools weren't that good in football & basketball. I don't understand the mindset of some who despise the fact that baseball is good and the others are not. Be proud no matter what the sport is that our university is not an embarrassment as the other 2 have.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And as I mentioned in the other thread, roster size is 35, but only 27 can be on baseball money anyway. So almost 1/4 of your roster comes from players on either academic money, other sports schollys or paying their own way. This would be the "Subset" you refer to.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:

Haha the couple of people were Pierce and Allen.
Love how you trash RJ's accomplishments. Rankings are for SEC schools. Skins on the wall are how you measure success.
Dannen said we need to recruit players that can afford our tuition. Yes stacking is moot because he can't get Tulane to change. Tulane doesn't do what Vandy and Rice do.
I'll trust TD over you. As for what you claim he said that's just not true. He clearly said you don't understand what you are talking about.

I didn't trash RJ's accomplishments. We have a lot of people who tend to want everyone to believe we should be in Omaha every year. That's just never been the case and that goes back before him. We have been a 3 or 4 seed more than we have been a 1 or 2 seed. We did only finish in the top 25 five times in our history. Those are just facts and I used them to try and gain some perspective about where we have been and where we are going.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:

So if Rice & Vandy are in the same boat as us, we should be recruiting against them because somehow their players are not paying a dime to go to school there. How is that? Can we get those players to come to Tulane? Last time I checked those schools weren't that good in football & basketball. I don't understand the mindset of some who despise the fact that baseball is good and the others are not. Be proud no matter what the sport is that our university is not an embarrassment as the other 2 have.
Pepper you have taken what I posted out of context. First off you do have players at Vandy and Rice paying some of the freight. It's a myth that they don't. TD flat out said it. So yes we are recruiting the same players as per our AD. I am proud of the program but there is no question where baseball stands in the pecking order in college sports. If we ever get our football and basketball programs rolling you'll understand what I said above.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:

And as I mentioned in the other thread, roster size is 35, but only 27 can be on baseball money anyway. So almost 1/4 of your roster comes from players on either academic money, other sports schollys or paying their own way. This would be the "Subset" you refer to.
I mentioned the roster size issue a good while back. The quarter of the roster you talk about are players who want to be on the team but aren't going to play. The subset TD is referring to is that core 27. They used to be given as little as 5 or 10%. Now they must be given at least 25%. Most get 50%. So they are getting more baseball money and then they can and do get financial aid at Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Thanks for explaining that. However, I would also think that those 8 that get no baseball money could include football players.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Thanks for explaining that. However, I would also think that those 8 that get no baseball money could include football players.
Having football players helps in that any athletic scholarship aid is counted toward football 85 limit and I'm not aware that football can award partials.

What's negative: football coach has to be cool with baseball players being gone mostly in spring and baseball coach has to be cool with football players being mostly gone in fall.

Not every coach at Tulane has signed up for that division of labor. I only guess that Fritz will. Obviously new baseball coach is tbd.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:Pepper you have taken what I posted out of context. First off you do have players at Vandy and Rice paying some of the freight. It's a myth that they don't. TD flat out said it. So yes we are recruiting the same players as per our AD. I am proud of the program but there is no question where baseball stands in the pecking order in college sports. If we ever get our football and basketball programs rolling you'll understand what I said above.
I have a friend inside Rice and I know the freight they are paying is ounces compared to the pounds ours are paying and I'll leave it at that. And for the record,I know football and basketball pay the bills so I am all for them being successful and priority for facilities should be allocated as such. With the right leadership, we can be win in all sports.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

Read your second to last sentence of the 1st paragraph. That is the issue, we have practically 0 aid to give, a big 0. So no we can not offer the same as those other schools.

We need help on the Aid situation for baseball and we need our leader to step up and get it for us. Anyone that says different doesn't have a clue.

Sean allen was quoted in paper as saying so, David pierce said so, and rj was quoted numerous time about it......these coaches aren't makimg this up, why, because it's a fact.

Does TD know that vandy and tcu were freakin doormats just 15 years ago? I mean no where close to a program as we were back then, they were flat out aweful. Well there AD stood up and got them the aid and what they needed, to be a perrenial Omaha program and look at them now.

Facts: we are no where close to being where vanderbilt baseball is, Vanderbilt is #1 in country in recruiting because every single player on their 27 man roster pretty much has a full ride of tuition paid. Bet you did not know that, did you. Everyone on ours has an avg of 40-60%. Where do you think the player will go if they choose between the two?

Miami, tcu, rice are all private schools and do I have to tell you how many World Series they've been too recently? We were a better program than Tcu and vandy just a short 15 years ago, and there admins made the changes necessary to win.

Miami has been to 40+ regionals in a row. Is it because they have same scholarship situation tulane does? Do I need to answer that for you? So no, we can not compete with those guys for the same recruits currently because we can't offer the same aid they can. Why do you think Kingston chose usf over us....freakin USF....because it's not an equal playing field for us.

We want to be the best, and we can be the best. We just need our leadership to step up.

We can be vanderbilt and miami and rice in baseball if we had an AD who could get us what we need to compete, because right now we don't have the aid to be able to be a perrenial program like Vandy, Miami, Stanford etc, and no we are not identifying the same kids as them. Changes need to be made....ASAP.
lurker123
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
Pepper wrote:Pepper you have taken what I posted out of context. First off you do have players at Vandy and Rice paying some of the freight. It's a myth that they don't. TD flat out said it. So yes we are recruiting the same players as per our AD. I am proud of the program but there is no question where baseball stands in the pecking order in college sports. If we ever get our football and basketball programs rolling you'll understand what I said above.
I have a friend inside Rice and I know the freight they are paying is ounces compared to the pounds ours are paying and I'll leave it at that. And for the record,I know football and basketball pay the bills so I am all for them being successful and priority for facilities should be allocated as such. With the right leadership, we can be win in all sports.
My reply:

Interestingly in those ounces I don't think either Tennessee or Texas has a TOPS program where the grant is not linked to need but rather to (in Louisiana's case with TOPS modest) academic performance. (Tennessee's version of TOPS is linked to need.)

What apparently Rice (and I guess Vandy) has are some scholarships tied to need that aren't tied to academic performance. Tulane has an edge on TOPS. Rice is so small (it may have smallest undergrad enrollment in FBS) that it's easier to "share" these need scholarships with athletes since they have to be available to entire student body.

Again Tulane now typically has several athletes (not necessarily baseball only) every year on legislative scholarship. Not like RJ's heyday where rumor had it that as many as 6 to 8 baseball players may have been getting full tuition rides but even one matters in a system with 11.7 total.

So obviously if Tulane starts delinking in some manner scholarship money from academic performance thresholds, Tulane in fact would have an immediate edge over Vandy and Rice which don't have open TOPS or legislative schollies.

In its own way, this would be nice to have like an IPF on campus but Tulane uses the Saints one meanwhile and figures it out. Same today with baseball scholarship aid. It could be better but current system is workable and allows Tulane to compete despite what some may post here.

As concerns Kingston, do you think he wishes today he were at Tulane if USF is such a better opportunity?

As concerns Vandy, don't you think the SEC membership might just might have something to do with its success?[/quote]
ajcalhoun
Swell

lurker123 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:duplicate
for some reason my messages are double posting and I can't seem to fix. So I'll stop trying. Sorry for wasting reader space here. I'm sure its my operator error.

You're hitting the "quote" button instead of the "edit" button.

I know because I've done the same thing. :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
lurker123
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:duplicate
for some reason my messages are double posting and I can't seem to fix. So I'll stop trying. Sorry for wasting reader space here. I'm sure its my operator error.

You're hitting the "quote" button instead of the "edit" button.

I know because I've done the same thing. :cheers:
As I said, operator error. Thanks. Now off to the firecracker festival.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

VerdeGeaux wrote:

Read you second to last sentence of the 1st paragraph. That is the issue, we have practically 0 aid to give, a big 0. So no we can not offer the same as those other schools.

We need help on the Aid situation for baseball and we need our leader to step up and get it for us. Anyone that says different doesn't have a clue.

Sean allen was quoted in paper as saying so, David pierce said so, and rj was quoted numerous time about it......these coaches aren't makimg this up, why, because it's a fact.

Does TD know that vandy and tcu were freakin doormats just 15 years ago? I mean no where close to a program as we were back then, they were flat out aweful. Well there AD stood up and got them the aid and what they needed, to be a perrenial Omaha program and look at them now.

Facts: we are no where close to being where vanderbilt baseball is, Vanderbilt is #1 in country in recruiting because every single player on there 27 man roster pretty much has a full ride of tuition paid. Bet you did not know that, did you. Everyone on ours has an avg of 40-60%. Where do you think the player will go if they choose between the two?

Miami, tcu, rice are all private schools and do I have to tell you how many World Series they've been too recently? We were a better program than Tcu and vandy just a short 15 years ago, and there admins made the changes necessary to win.

Miami has been to 40+ regionals in a row. Is it because they have same scholarship situation tulane does? Do I need to answer that for you? So no, we can not compete with those guys for the same recruits currently because we can't offer the same aid they can. Why do you think Kingston chose usf over us....freakin USF....because it's not an equal playing field for us.

We want to be the best, and we can be the best. We just need our leadership to step up.

We can be vanderbilt and miami and rice in baseball if we had an AD who could get us what we need to compete, because right now we don't have the aid to be able to be a perrenial program like Vandy, Miami, Stanford etc, and no we are not identifying the same kids as them. Changes need to be made....ASAP.
You say TD is a liar and incompetent . I trust him. He says there are no excuses and he won't accept them. He has expectations and they will be met.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I thought i remember TD (in the interview) saying they hope to add more minority scholarships like Rice has.....
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to aid the fact has been well stated by many that Tulane gives plenty of aid out. Hardly any students pay near future the full freight. Only the richest pay full cost.
sader24
Tsunami

While I think TD has been a breath of fresh air, are we crowning him too early here by believing every word that comes out of his mouth as God's word?? None of his hires has coached a game here and while Fritz appears to be a really good Football coach I don't think anyone has been blown away on the recruiting front. The Dunleavy hire is a crap shoot for sure. Baseball is up in the air. I'm glad he's doing and saying the right things, but until results show up on the field I'll take a wait and see approach. Far too often (Rick Dickson and Scott Cowen included) Tulane fans have bought into how this new guy is going to turn it all around. Tulane has been Tulane for 50 some odd years and I tend to believe we are facing some hurdles in regards to baseball that other school like us are not.
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:Yep maybe. But here's the wall.
Now that I see the idea, I like it.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
VerdeGeaux wrote:

Read you second to last sentence of the 1st paragraph. That is the issue, we have practically 0 aid to give, a big 0. So no we can not offer the same as those other schools.

Facts: we are no where close to being where vanderbilt baseball is, Vanderbilt is #1 in country in recruiting because every single player on there 27 man roster pretty much has a full ride of tuition paid. Bet you did not know that, did you. Everyone on ours has an avg of 40-60%. Where do you think the player will go if they choose between the two?

You say TD is a liar and incompetent . I trust him. He says there are no excuses and he won't accept them. He has expectations and they will be met.
If that's how you want to spin it. I didn't listen to the interview, but as you stated , if he believes we are on equal playing ground with other privates schools then he knows less that I thought he did.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane puts up many of its own obstacles. Tulane requires freshman to rent dorms on campus at $1,100 a month. So if you live in NOLA or nearby and you want to save some money on housing and have your baseball son live at home you can't. You have to fork out an additional $1,100 for a dorm. And even worst your son must live on campus for two years (this requirement was changed a few years ago). All that new housing Tulane built was for a purpose to make more money. It's just another something that most here don't even know about what that parents are faced with.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We know. More importantly TD knows. He spoke very clearly about our baseball program and he says it's all there to be successful.