Baseball @ UC Riverside 3/20-3/22

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
K's have to drop. Because last weekend we had over 30 in 3 games. If we are going to have success in the conference we are going to have to minimize strikeouts. Putting the ball in play can lead to good things. It becomes a mental thing after awhile. Hopefully going forward we can turn it around.
No reason not to at least hit well on Sunday's. You're not facing a teams best pitching at that point. Same thing with midweek games. Most of our K's come on Fri nights
I get that. But you also have to factor in the higher production we get when we do hit the ball. We're getting more hits and hitting with more power. Not sure what our walk rate is...would expect that to improve with this new approach as well. We're learning a new system...there will be short term pain for long term gain..

Robert1969
Riptide

Maybe I am bad luck. When I tune in Tulane has runners at the corners with no outs, then they get three straight outs.
Robert1969
Riptide

We strand two more. Riverside scored in the bottom of the first and lead 1-0.

If we get a couple of hits with runners in scoring position, we would have the lead. Riverside does get those extra hits. In fact, they hit the ball very well.
Robert1969
Riptide

Wow. After those first couple of starts, Yandel has struggled. He has hit two batters already.

We are in the bottom of the second, two on, no outs for Riverside.
Robert1969
Riptide

We got out of it.

Going to the top of the third, Riverside leads 1-0.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thx for the updates.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

Yesterday after we went down 5-1, I got disgusted, turned off the radio, and we came all the way back.

Maybe, I ought to just turn it off again?
Robert1969
Riptide

Yandel gets a quick 1...2...3 inning, and we go to the fourth.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:Yesterday after we went down 5-1, I got disgusted, turned off the radio, and we came all the way back.

Maybe, I ought to just turn it off again?
Please keep listening n updating. Thanks.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

We just bunted on a 3-1 count with arguably our best hitter
Robert1969
Riptide

Riverside is up 3-0.
Robert1969
Riptide

Kaplan with a two-run shot. It is 3-2, Riverside.
Robert1969
Riptide

Going to the bottom of the sixth inning. 3-2 Riverside.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:He did recruit the hitters. He also recruited the pitchers. Yandel and Gibbs had done nothing for two years. Now they are pitching well. I was w/numerous Tulane fans Tuesday who are all elated about the new coaching staff. You can stay miserable. As for me and many others we'll enjoy the process.
I certainly agree with your comments all the way through.
Coach Jones is a legend, is revered as he should be. It was just time for a change.
As for the high K numbers, I think they are at least somewhat of a function in the changed hitting approach. These coaches want the hitters to be patient...to take pitches they don't think that they can hit. That will always bring more Ks, even to good hitters. Our hitters just need to learn to foul off 2 strike close pitches that they don't think they can hit and otherwise improve 2 strike hitting. Easier said than done, but they'll get better at it. And in most (although not all) cases, an out is an out is an out.
Box I'll expound here. Things have gotten skewed here. We have a poster who had to sit and wait after our good start for a trouble patch before they began posting. I gave them the rude welcome they deserved. Clearly pulling against Tulane baseball.

To the point. In college there are two aspects to coaching. Recruiting and on field coaching. For RJ's first 15 years he and the staffs he hired did a great job of recruiting. We had lots of talent come in. The first time I met RJ I told him this was a sport we should win a NC in. He agreed. That's what we both wanted for this program. He has my cell # and I have his. It's nothing personal. It's business. I was at the first booster club meeting he spoke at and he proclaimed the fences were to far out for power hitting. He made it clear he preferred small ball. We had never had trouble hitting w/power so that was my first red flag. Then we were never good at the small game under him. We were never good at bunting. We were terrible running the bases. We led the world in guys getting picked off of second. On defense we always threw for the lead runner even when it was clear we had no shot and should have been holding the hitter to first. So early on I knew we would have success based on the recruiting but that the coaching would put a ceiling on us. Fortunately gorilla ball came along and we had no choice but to follow suit. We had success and we had fun for 15 years. Then in what he termed Black Monday he greatly over reacted and made a conscious choice to dumb down recruiting. Some want to blame it all on Tuane but he made a huge mistake that contributed to our recruiting going downward. Then there were the staff issues.

Based on his success he was given 6 years to right the ship so no one can in good conscience say he wasn't given a fair chance. Most schools would have ended it after two. I could understand 3 but 6 was painfully ridiculous. So yes it was simply time for change. I get many emails,pm's,phone calls and in person encouragement to keep fighting to see Tulane athletics reach it's potential in the big three. I always have and always will.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Great coverage of Tulane baseball by d1baseball:

http://www.d1baseball.com/at-the-ballpa ... riverside/
Robert1969
Riptide

Riverside 6 Tulane 2 Final.

My sister called and so I couldn't update for a while, sorry.
Show Me
Tsunami

Damn. Bad series to lose.
It's a long season hopefully this staff can develop hitters. Im not encouraged though. Pitching will come in when we start to play better competition. Hitting needs to pick it up. I didn't see this coming. On the bright side we didn't get swept. Last year we would have.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:Riverside 6 Tulane 2 Final.

My sister called and so I couldn't update for a while, sorry.
That's ok. Your updates were greatly appreciated.

Not what we hoped for. Lots of ball to be played. The upside is UCI's RPI will improve. :mrgreen:
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Based on his success he was given 6 years to right the ship so no one can in good conscience say he wasn't given a fair chance. Most schools would have ended it after two. I could understand 3 but 6 was painfully ridiculous. So yes it was simply time for change.
God Bless Everyone!
Waverunner
Ripple

First off, since you and RJ are such good buds I assume you'll be making the trip to UNCW and having dinner with him and Ms. Gina. lol. On the other hand, he and Coach Pierce are actually friends as they played each other when Pierce was at Sam Houston State 2 years ago. RJ and Coach Brockhoff are also friends, as was evidenced when RJ broke Brockhoff's school record for wins and turned things around and honored Coach Brockhoff on that day. As far as rebuilding, in Brockhoff's last 5 years, he was five games above .500 with two losing seasons. In Jones' last five years, he was 43 games above .500 with no losing seasons, and was 10-10 when the doctor shut him down last season. I'm being told that heavy hitters are coming in next season to aid in the rebuilding effort. It will be interesting to see where the scholarships are coming from, as there is only one senior postion player on the squad. Unless Pierce has been given in writing the Stanford financial aid model that Jones was promised in '01 by the administration, this will be an impossibility. You say that Jones had 15 years of success, but how could that be when his teams didn't know how to bunt, didn't know how to run the bases, lead the nation in being picked off of second base, and constantly failed to throw out the lead runner? With such an "embarrassment" as the coach, Tulane somehow beat LSU in the super regional in '01, won the regional at Ole Miss in '04, beat Alabama in the regional and Rice in the super regional in '05, and went to the regional final in '06 after Katrina. Let's put your job evaluation up on the board and see how it compares to RJ's. The only time Tulane has ever been ranked #1 in the country in any of "the big 3" was during his reign. With your concern for all things Tulane nation, this feat and the above facts should show that you are the one that has taken all this too personal. With your behavior on this site, I'm sure if you call that cell phone number before the UNCW game, you would get the same rude welcoming you gave me on this board. FYI ~ Yandel was made into a pitcher by last years staff and is a work in progress. Gibbs' brother who came on strong as a senior pitcher in Jones' first year in '94, after 3 mediocre years, paved the way for his younger brother, who after struggling his freshman and sophomore year is now 40 lbs heavier and pitching well. Both pitched well after going through the extensive maturation process, that a lot of pitchers must endure. My final point is what will happen Tuesday after the embarrassment in California this weekend? Hope your boy can gets things back on track.
Show Me
Tsunami

Waverunner wrote:First off, since you and RJ are such good buds I assume you'll be making the trip to UNCW and having dinner with him and Ms. Gina. lol. On the other hand, he and Coach Pierce are actually friends as they played each other when Pierce was at Sam Houston State 2 years ago. RJ and Coach Brockhoff are also friends, as was evidenced when RJ broke Brockhoff's school record for wins and turned things around and honored Coach Brockhoff on that day. As far as rebuilding, in Brockhoff's last 5 years, he was five games above .500 with two losing seasons. In Jones' last five years, he was 43 games above .500 with no losing seasons, and was 10-10 when the doctor shut him down last season. I'm being told that heavy hitters are coming in next season to aid in the rebuilding effort. It will be interesting to see where the scholarships are coming from, as there is only one senior postion player on the squad. Unless Pierce has been given in writing the Stanford financial aid model that Jones was promised in '01 by the administration, this will be an impossibility. You say that Jones had 15 years of success, but how could that be when his teams didn't know how to bunt, didn't know how to run the bases, lead the nation in being picked off of second base, and constantly failed to throw out the lead runner? With such an "embarrassment" as the coach, Tulane somehow beat LSU in the super regional in '01, won the regional at Ole Miss in '04, beat Alabama in the regional and Rice in the super regional in '05, and went to the regional final in '06 after Katrina. Let's put your job evaluation up on the board and see how it compares to RJ's. The only time Tulane has ever been ranked #1 in the country in any of "the big 3" was during his reign. With your concern for all things Tulane nation, this feat and the above facts should show that you are the one that has taken all this too personal. With your behavior on this site, I'm sure if you call that cell phone number before the UNCW game, you would get the same rude welcoming you gave me on this board. FYI ~ Yandel was made into a pitcher by last years staff and is a work in progress. Gibbs' brother who came on strong as a senior pitcher in Jones' first year in '94, after 3 mediocre years, paved the way for his younger brother, who after struggling his freshman and sophomore year is now 40 lbs heavier and pitching well. Both pitched well after going through the extensive maturation process, that a lot of pitchers must endure. My final point is what will happen Tuesday after the embarrassment in California this weekend? Hope your boy can gets things back on track.
Excellent analysis Waverunner! I don't get the hate for the coach with the most wins in Tulane history. The one guy who could somehow overcome the Tulane roadblocks for that many years is incredible. They should rename the field after him for all he had accomplished.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Looks like both coaches are getting bashed. I don't get it, I like both of them.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Waverunner wrote:First off, since you and RJ are such good buds I assume you'll be making the trip to UNCW and having dinner with him and Ms. Gina. lol. On the other hand, he and Coach Pierce are actually friends as they played each other when Pierce was at Sam Houston State 2 years ago. RJ and Coach Brockhoff are also friends, as was evidenced when RJ broke Brockhoff's school record for wins and turned things around and honored Coach Brockhoff on that day. As far as rebuilding, in Brockhoff's last 5 years, he was five games above .500 with two losing seasons. In Jones' last five years, he was 43 games above .500 with no losing seasons, and was 10-10 when the doctor shut him down last season. I'm being told that heavy hitters are coming in next season to aid in the rebuilding effort. It will be interesting to see where the scholarships are coming from, as there is only one senior postion player on the squad. Unless Pierce has been given in writing the Stanford financial aid model that Jones was promised in '01 by the administration, this will be an impossibility. You say that Jones had 15 years of success, but how could that be when his teams didn't know how to bunt, didn't know how to run the bases, lead the nation in being picked off of second base, and constantly failed to throw out the lead runner? With such an "embarrassment" as the coach, Tulane somehow beat LSU in the super regional in '01, won the regional at Ole Miss in '04, beat Alabama in the regional and Rice in the super regional in '05, and went to the regional final in '06 after Katrina. Let's put your job evaluation up on the board and see how it compares to RJ's. The only time Tulane has ever been ranked #1 in the country in any of "the big 3" was during his reign. With your concern for all things Tulane nation, this feat and the above facts should show that you are the one that has taken all this too personal. With your behavior on this site, I'm sure if you call that cell phone number before the UNCW game, you would get the same rude welcoming you gave me on this board. FYI ~ Yandel was made into a pitcher by last years staff and is a work in progress. Gibbs' brother who came on strong as a senior pitcher in Jones' first year in '94, after 3 mediocre years, paved the way for his younger brother, who after struggling his freshman and sophomore year is now 40 lbs heavier and pitching well. Both pitched well after going through the extensive maturation process, that a lot of pitchers must endure. My final point is what will happen Tuesday after the embarrassment in California this weekend? Hope your boy can gets things back on track.
Once again you make it clear you are pulling against Tulane baseball. I stand by all I said. I was there at the home games and traveled to see the teams play too. I've posted many times that after football and basketball seasons that sucked any success baseball had was magnified. In 21 years we finished ranked 4 times. Most would have thought we were ranked all those years. He took over when a lot of schools weren't investing in baseball. We had a huge advantage. I wanted to see is make the most of it. We didn't get it. He and his staffs in the first 15 years were great at recruiting. Dale Brown and Johnny Jones are great recruiters too. But it's clear they had their ceilings. Same holds here. Deal w/it. As for me I'll continue to enjoy the process of restoring the program by Coach Pierce and his excellent staff.

BTW, in JB's next to last season the team made the Regionals. But let's not let facts get n the way of an agenda. Also RJ ended with a losing season. He was the HC and drew the salary last year. But again let's not let the facts get in the way of an agenda. One last fact. There are three seniors on this years team. So as much as you don't want Pierce to be able to rebuild he will.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
Excellent analysis Waverunner! I don't get the hate for the coach with the most wins in Tulane history. The one guy who could somehow overcome the Tulane roadblocks for that many years is incredible. They should rename the field after him for all he had accomplished.
Your a hater so you want to project hate on others. No hate here. Just dealing w/the reality of the situation.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Looks like both coaches are getting bashed. I don't get it, I like both of them.
We made an excellent hire. Most were ecstatic that Tulane could finally get something right. I'm clearly in that camp. Now that warts are showing up the haters are showing up trying to say they were right and we should be in year 7 of the downward spiral. I was around when JB's reign came to an end. Just like now I understood it was time for a change. Some wanted to continue to hate back then. It all worked out. This will too.