Football Spring Practice

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:I don't think anyone expected morale to be so low in 2015. This is horrible.
To be fair, I've expected this and predicted as much for 10 years now. Morale has nothing to do with CJ and everything to do with the institutionalized and ingrained culture of failure and no accountability and pathetic marketing spin instead of actual results. Just because CJ is the latest in the line of coaches willing to succumb to this culture doesn't make it his fault.

But if this comes as a surprise to you at this point, then that's on you.
I guess it's on me. I really believed that CJ would have his sh_t together by 2015. In a losing program, a new HC's first season is suppose to show signs of improvement. We did see improvement, but CJ deserved a pass due to losing key players earlier on. If Orleans would have been healthy along with Mackey and a few other ready to play, there is no doubt that the season would have been different. CJ found a way to make it to a bowl game in year 2 by taking advantage of a bowl friendly schedule. Year 3 is always the season that lets you know where your program is headed and we really sucked!

2015 should answer the final questions. This is officially CJ's teams and he must win games. Period. So far, things are shaping up to be a 2 or 3 win season on my eyes.

Ball Sumrall!
wave97
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
GreenGears wrote:Yeah,

It feels like the wheels are falling off the Bus a little early this year. I for one am already debating just not watching... But lets be honest once we get closer to September we'll all get excited.
I will buy tickets again.

Look, the two biggest areas of concern QB/offense and STs just looked similar to last year. STs might actually have looked a bit better but I do think people are extrapolating a bit too much over Lee's 40 snaps and 20 passes. I might actually argue that the WR problems are the biggest issue.

The D should still be in the top half of the league and the RBs are a solid group. Lee and the STs have to have a big summer and we have to hope the new skill position recruits will add value right away.

All is not lost, but the spring game went worse than many hoped. I think it really hurt our few diehard fans coming off the poor end of season in Bball.

One thing I don't understand is scheduling a third option game when you are already playing Navy and GT. IDK, maybe that will be a blessing but I have my doubts that we are set up to win the trenches.
We should hold up pretty well against Navy & Army. Our overall team speed should do well against the service academies as long as our guys up front do their jobs. GT is another story - they have some large O-lineman & their wingbacks/wideouts completely owned our corners & safeties. It was pathetic last September watching our "skilled" corners being driven 15 yards down field like rag dolls.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:
We should hold up pretty well against Navy & Army. Our overall team speed should do well against the service academies as long as our guys up front do their jobs. GT is another story - they have some large O-lineman & their wingbacks/wideouts completely owned our corners & safeties. It was pathetic last September watching our "skilled" corners being driven 15 yards down field like rag dolls.
This is supposed to be a payoff season. We're 5 seasons removed from the Playbook. We better do more than "hold up pretty well" against service academies.
wave97
Swell

OK. We should hold up very, very, very well against the service academies.
Do you feel better?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CJ admits kicking still a problem

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... runni.html
Johnson said he's seen improvement in most phases of the game though, he added, "I'm a little confused on this kicking deal.''
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
wave97 wrote:
This is supposed to be a payoff season. We're 5 seasons removed from the Playbook. We better do more than "hold up pretty well" against service academies.
Lord help us. In CJ's 4 year, I wouldn't have expected to be praying for a win vs Army or even Navy.

Maybe we should have scheduled VMI.
Green Wave
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
wave97 wrote:
Lord help us. In CJ's 4 year, I wouldn't have expected to be praying for a win vs Army or even Navy.

If we had a short yardage QB, we could be competitive this year. However, Lee has thrown 5 pick sixes in one year and our attempt at ball control will only end in broken drives and free points for the opposition. :cry:
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
wave97 wrote:

If we had a short yardage QB, we could be competitive this year. However, Lee has thrown 5 pick sixes in one year and our attempt at ball control will only end in broken drives and free points for the opposition. :cry:
Oh that's clearly the problem. It's the redshirt freshman QBs fault. Sure. I guess that's how you justify everyone in the Cowen loyalty line getting their bonuses and raises.

And I get it. Once you get attached to free bonuses and raises it's intoxicating. So I get why you are here. But you should expect people who really care that you are tanking our athletic program for your own financial gain to hate your guts in return.
Jonathan
Riptide

My major problems with CJ is retaining the Prices, only the fourth best recruiting class this year in Louisiana as per 247 Sports behind LSU,U La La and La Tech and the disappointment in the performance of Tanner Lee, mega interceptions. I predict another three win losing season and no bowl game again next year. I hope that I am wrong and CJ turns it around.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Oh that's clearly the problem. It's the redshirt freshman QBs fault. Sure. I guess that's how you justify everyone in the Cowen loyalty line getting their bonuses and raises.

And I get it. Once you get attached to free bonuses and raises it's intoxicating. So I get why you are here. But you should expect people who really care that you are tanking our athletic program for your own financial gain to hate your guts in return.
You cant run a pro style short yardage ball control offense with a 55 percent passer that throws more interceptions than touchdown passes.

JJ all you get is how to flame peoples posts with BS flaming troll tactics. I do not work for Tulane and no matter how many times you push it out there it still won't change that fact.
ROLL WAVE!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

CJ is talking like Phil Robertson...he is "Happy...Happy... Happy"

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... _index.ssf
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

Yup and Cowen, Dickson and Margie are all happy happy happy cause Tulane is losing and
they are smiling all the way to the bank! And apparently, the big money people who funded the
athletic facilities just don't seem to mind all that much..
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:Yup and Cowen, Dickson and Margie are all happy happy happy cause Tulane is losing and
they are smiling all the way to the bank! And apparently, the big money people who funded the
athletic facilities just don't seem to mind all that much..

People in the BIZ world must ask themselves, if Tulane is so damn dysfunctional in it's own Management... How can I think, that anyone with a degree from Tulane, can do the job that has to be managed / completed and can be trusted to make correct decisions........
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

The morons that run the place do not have Tulane degrees. And nobody
but the few of us are paying any attention to Tulane's dysfunction.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:The morons that run the place do not have Tulane degrees. And nobody
but the few of us are paying any attention to Tulane's dysfunction.

But the morons are now teaching / leading the students presently enrolled... but on a brighter note, I will be in SoCal in late May to play in a Tournament at Morgan Run Resort, Rancho Santa Fe
JerseyWave
Riptide

I'm not happy. I don't see a sense of urgency in CJ to get his pathetic offense kick started. I want to know why we suck at wide receiver and we suck in the kicking game. I'm not being fooled! The 2015 season is shaping up to have a disastrous outcome. Every team in the AAC is trying to get better, firing and hiring new coaches, stepping it up in recruiting, except at Tulane where the status quo is just fine.
wave97
Swell

From viewing the clips of Saturday's practice it is clear that Sean Wilson is favoring his knee a lot. The fact that he has been held out of the full contact scrimmages is not encouraging. We had all better hope for a speedy recovery that doesn't interfere with his power cleans & squats leading up to camp. If he doesn't have a complete recovery soon we're toast for 2015 as there's nothing on the shelf.
DrBox
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:

You cant run a pro style short yardage ball control offense with a 55 percent passer that throws more interceptions than touchdown passes.

JJ all you get is how to flame peoples posts with BS flaming troll tactics. I do not work for Tulane and no matter how many times you push it out there it still won't change that fact.
I think the problem is the scheme. It's foolish for TU to run a scheme that depends on having superior OL play and an extremely accurate QB.
But in fact, I think our OL is better than it has been probably since 98 or 99. But that's not good enough for this scheme. Lee has to be great; if he isn't great (and he isn't) he looks sh$$y, which he isn't.
Gary Patterson realized that - it took a couple of years, but he put in a modern college offense (over just one spring practice) and it made all the difference.
Why CJ has refused to put in a modern college offense is beyond me.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

I think the problem is the scheme. It's foolish for TU to run a scheme that depends on having superior OL play and an extremely accurate QB.
But in fact, I think our OL is better than it has been probably since 98 or 99. But that's not good enough for this scheme. Lee has to be great; if he isn't great (and he isn't) he looks sh$$y, which he isn't.
Gary Patterson realized that - it took a couple of years, but he put in a modern college offense (over just one spring practice) and it made all the difference.
Probably because Tulane doesn't have the money to install a spread system. I'm as disappointed as anyone, but blaming CJ for how things are at Tulane is kind of silly.
wave97
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

He's going ride this pro offense to a resurgent program or a ticket out of town - It's all CJ has known for his whole coaching career. If CJ is shown to the door after this season he can be credited with improving the skill level of the team. Lionel will have an easier sell to an up and coming OC.
DrBox
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Probably because Tulane doesn't have the money to install a spread system. I'm as disappointed as anyone, but blaming CJ for how things are at Tulane is kind of silly.
??
Spreads cost money?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DrBox wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Probably because Tulane doesn't have the money to install a spread system. I'm as disappointed as anyone, but blaming CJ for how things are at Tulane is kind of silly.
??
Spreads cost money?
Firing an existing coach that is certainly understand contract costs money.
Performing a search for a new coach costs money.
Acquiring a coach familiar with an in demand spread system costs money.

Tulane has virtually no money.

At the FBS level, I'm not sure a team would want to install a spread system without bringing on a coach that is familiar with such systems.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
??
Spreads cost money?
Memo to RD ..... By installing the "spread" the playing field DOES NOT have to be enlarged, therefore no extra cost is incurred !!!!....
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

"when you're smiling.... when you're smiling....the whole world ??/?? "

http://theneworleansadvocate.com/featur ... ing-drills
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Props to whoever is running the official site for their coverage of our spring practice stories. Adding the videos showing some of the action was a great addition.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.