Your Take on the State of TU Athletics 2015

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

Here is my take and my personal opinions. Many of you will not agree with me on my comments but I would like to hear your objective and pragmatic opinions if you agree or disagree with me respectively not using lewd language or like one person on this board calling me a troll if you do not share my opinions.

Basketball. We need to let Conroy go now and get a one to two million dollar a year coach like a young Larry Brown at SMU to recruit four and five star blue chip players.Tulane should be in the Top 25 every year and advance in the NCAA tournament every year. We need a new state of the art basketball arena on campus for 8,000. Conroy other than his pre season patsy team wins that he sets up every year to pad his schedule such as Jackson State etc.cannot bring in taller,strongest and faster players particularly power forwards and true centers. He has no chance to defeat the top fifty percent of the AAC or get us back to the NCAA tournament after 20 years. Pay to play $60,000 tournament again this year. Our current RPI is 187. Terrible!

Athletic Director. Retire Rick Dickson today and bring in a dynamic young AD with experience at a private top academic school to turn our athletic programs around. The damage Rick has caused TU in his mega bad football and basketball hires with stupid contract extensions has set us back two decades!

Football. Do not renew CJ's contract. Three wins one to a division 2 school Southeastern is unacceptable. This years recruiting class was a disaster with only approx 7 three star 247 Sports recruits. We were fourth in Louisiana behind LSU A&M,U La La and La Tech in recruiting. Sad. Our new AD should find the youngest best college coach in the nation and pay him one million to two million dollars a year. CJ did not fire the Prices was a major mistake on his part. No discipline on this team similar to Scelfo and Toledo. Tommy Bowden was all discipline and it showed.

Baseball. Good news here. Coach Pierce is on track to bring us back to The College World Series. A great hire

Ladies Basketball. Not a money sport but I think Lisa should retire. She has not brought us to the NCAA tournament in years. I respect Lisa and Rick Jones for their long time service and devotion to Tulane.

Ladies golf. The best sports program at Tulane with both great athletes and superior academic students.

Sorry regretfully no interest in Tulane bowling or beach volleyball. Lastly I think Tulane President Fitts might be another Scott Cowen. His Ivy League background and no love for athletics makes me suspect. We need a state of the art indoor football training facility with six or more floors of parking above built on the parking site on South Claiborne Avenue adjacent to Turchin Stadium. Also a Tulane Village for track,tennis etc.. on the Goldring site between Jefferson and Airline Highways.

2ndGenWave
High Tide

Basketball: Conroy has put a team together this year that has out performed my expectations (although they were exceedingly low), but the team is young and has shown massive improvement from last year. Despite the fact I was angered over his extension last year, I see no reason to not give him another year. The tranfers of a few years ago were perhaps just a series of coincidences that snowballed. I don't see the program being able to attract the type of coach that those of us on this board would want even with a massive amount of money that Tulane won't spend and really doesn't have to spend. We need to fill our tiny stadium before you can talk about spending money on expansion.

Athletic Director: Yes, its been time for his exit for years. I think we are all behind his exit.

Football: Last years team was incredibly young by college standards. We had freshmen (either redshirt or true) starting or seeing a lot of time at basically all the skill position on offense: QB, RB, WR, and TE. It is a shame that we had to open up the stadium with what was obviously going to be a year of massive growing pains. This year is clearly a make or break year though. Recruiting suffered because of the lack of success on the field and likely lackluster recruiting visits later in the year with the shrinking crowds. While the Price situation is questionable, I've heard that many of the biggest mistakes we place on the Price's may be coming from CJ. Regardless of whose responsible they need to be mitigated. Last year can easily be forgiven with a winning season next year, which if there is improvement by our young players could easily happen.

Baseball: Looking good with Pierce.

Ladies Basketball: The ladies look good and recruiting will only get better with the AAC. Stockton deserves to retire on her terms, though it is probably time to start grooming a successor for whenever that time comes. We should make the tourney this year.

Fitts: Still needs to prove himself athletically, but he hasn't done (or had to do) much on that subject either good or bad.

Facilities: You are delusional if you think you can put parking above an indoor football field. But obviously continued improvements to our athletic infrastructure is hugely important. IPF, better locker, training, meeting rooms is a must to attract recruits for football.
sader24
Tsunami

I don't think anyone that's a Tulane Football Season Ticket Holder can see they are happy with the retaining of the Prices, the discipline and preparedness of the team, and what appears to be business as usual in how we hire, retain, and promote coaches in what has so far been a failed rebuilding job. I think the talent has been clearly upgraded and is good enough to win in this conference. I've seen nothing from the Head Coaching spot or the Offensive Side of the ball that leads me to believe we have qualified coaches in those positions. Defensively I think we've been well coached for the most part. I'm increasingly of the opinion that for the CJ era to be a success he's going to need to hire a new OC and let him do his thing and hire an Asst Head Coach who is responsible for managing the game and running the program from a practice/operations standpoint. CJ seems more and more like a guy who needs to be a figurehead that recruits and puts a good face on the program. Personally, that is not encouraging. It also seems to me that he is more and more buying into the Tulane Model and the usual excuses that we've heard for so many years.
Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote:I don't think anyone that's a Tulane Football Season Ticket Holder can see they are happy with the retaining of the Prices, the discipline and preparedness of the team, and what appears to be business as usual in how we hire, retain, and promote coaches in what has so far been a failed rebuilding job. I think the talent has been clearly upgraded and is good enough to win in this conference. I've seen nothing from the Head Coaching spot or the Offensive Side of the ball that leads me to believe we have qualified coaches in those positions. Defensively I think we've been well coached for the most part. I'm increasingly of the opinion that for the CJ era to be a success he's going to need to hire a new OC and let him do his thing and hire an Asst Head Coach who is responsible for managing the game and running the program from a practice/operations standpoint. CJ seems more and more like a guy who needs to be a figurehead that recruits and puts a good face on the program. Personally, that is not encouraging. It also seems to me that he is more and more buying into the Tulane Model and the usual excuses that we've heard for so many years.

A well reasoned and accurate picture particularly in connection with the quality of the coaching. Johnson is not head coach material in my
opinion and lack of discipline is very telling. Johnson will toe the line to keep his generous salary. He can live with the Tulane Model.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote:
sader24 wrote:I don't think anyone that's a Tulane Football Season Ticket Holder can see they are happy with the retaining of the Prices, the discipline and preparedness of the team, and what appears to be business as usual in how we hire, retain, and promote coaches in what has so far been a failed rebuilding job. I think the talent has been clearly upgraded and is good enough to win in this conference. I've seen nothing from the Head Coaching spot or the Offensive Side of the ball that leads me to believe we have qualified coaches in those positions. Defensively I think we've been well coached for the most part. I'm increasingly of the opinion that for the CJ era to be a success he's going to need to hire a new OC and let him do his thing and hire an Asst Head Coach who is responsible for managing the game and running the program from a practice/operations standpoint. CJ seems more and more like a guy who needs to be a figurehead that recruits and puts a good face on the program. Personally, that is not encouraging. It also seems to me that he is more and more buying into the Tulane Model and the usual excuses that we've heard for so many years.

A well reasoned and accurate picture particularly in connection with the quality of the coaching. Johnson is not head coach material in my
opinion and lack of discipline is very telling. Johnson will toe the line to keep his generous salary. He can live with the Tulane Model.
In today's game where every nuance is broken down and running the program is like running a medium to large business, you can't just have a figure head for a HC and expect consistent results. Especially at TU, where we don't have the budget to hire top notch assistants and certainly can't keep them long term once they succeed. If CJ can't manage the games and add to the production of the offense or defense, then we are in deep deep trouble IMO.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Football: Poor. Record is 23-63 since 2008. Program has fallen behind peers such as La. Tech, Rice and ULL. New conference helps, not sure about stadium. Coaching is a huge question mark.

MBB: Below average. Conroy is not a terrible coach, but the program is nowhere near the glory days of the early-mid 90s. If it were up to me, I would make a change here.

Baseball: Decent. Program is in best shape of the big 3, except for the financial aid/tuition piece. Fairly confident Tulane will once again become perennial regional team by 2016.

AD: No way he gets forced out, unless TU offers a generous retirement package. There's simply no emphasis on winning, especially in the sports that matter.
IM42lane
Swell

'LOTZA' room 4 IMPROVEMENT ...
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

+1 Dead on accurate, Sader. Emphasis added where I really feel you're dead on!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

simply put " The STATE of Tulane athletics " needs to be declared a federal disaster area !!!!...hell "Brownie" would be an upgrade in management...damn I forgot about one hell of a leader for Tulane...former guv Kathleen BlankOH
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:Football: Poor. Record is 23-63 since 2008. Program has fallen behind peers such as La. Tech, Rice and ULL. New conference helps, not sure about stadium. Coaching is a huge question mark.

MBB: Below average. Conroy is not a terrible coach, but the program is nowhere near the glory days of the early-mid 90s. If it were up to me, I would make a change here.

Baseball: Decent. Program is in best shape of the big 3, except for the financial aid/tuition piece. Fairly confident Tulane will once again become perennial regional team by 2016.

AD: No way he gets forced out, unless TU offers a generous retirement package. There's simply no emphasis on winning, especially in the sports that matter.
Sorry, but IMHO big three is Football, Men's BB, Women's BB. Baseball is an afterthought, except at Tulane, where we've dedicated disproportionate resources and have very little to show for the investment.

The BIG PICTURE is that the board MUST get rid of RD. He's done, not doing anything further than what he's done with Yulman, which is still not paid for, and will be empty in 2015 and 2016 unless there's accountability in the program. The Price brothers still being here tells me we're going to stink again in 2015. CJ and RD should both be canned if that's the case. Anything less than 6 wins is not acceptable.

Yes, we do measure success by wins and losses.

Don't like it, RD, please take a walk across the street.
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:Football: Poor. Record is 23-63 since 2008. Program has fallen behind peers such as La. Tech, Rice and ULL. New conference helps, not sure about stadium. Coaching is a huge question mark.

Sorry, but IMHO big three is Football, Men's BB, Women's BB. Baseball is an afterthought, except at Tulane, where we've dedicated disproportionate resources and have very little to show for the investment.

The BIG PICTURE is that the board MUST get rid of RD. He's done, not doing anything further than what he's done with Yulman, which is still not paid for, and will be empty in 2015 and 2016 unless there's accountability in the program. The Price brothers still being here tells me we're going to stink again in 2015. CJ and RD should both be canned if that's the case.
Anything less than 6 wins is not acceptable.

Don't like it, RD, please take a walk across the street

I definitely AGREE with those three points. However, . . around here, BASEBALL is NOT AN AFTERTHOUGHT. It is just as important as football or hoops. If Tulane baseball ever gets back to going to postseason regularly, then you will see what I mean.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

Baseball is one of the very few sports that we have had success in for years. Its brought rare pride
to Tulane fans. Its as important as football and basketball and thats why all are excited about Tulane finally
bringing in a quality, proven coach! I am with Pete and suspect the vast majority.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

The BIG PICTURE is that the board MUST get rid of RD. He's done, not doing anything further than what he's done with Yulman, which is still not paid for, and will be empty in 2015 and 2016 unless there's accountability in the program. The Price brothers still being here tells me we're going to stink again in 2015. CJ and RD should both be canned if that's the case.
Anything less than 6 wins is not acceptable.

Don't like it, RD, please take a walk across the street

I definitely AGREE with those three points. However, . . around here, BASEBALL is NOT AN AFTERTHOUGHT. It is just as important as football or hoops. If Tulane baseball ever gets back to going to postseason regularly, then you will see what I mean.
No. You'd hope we measure success by wins and losses. You want to believe that we measure by wins and losses.

But we most certainly do not measure by wins and losses and those who have established that ethos have assumed all power over the university.

We do NOT judge by wins and losses and will not EVER until the alumni insist on taking the university back.

Everyone should know by now that CJ will be back regardless of how many wins in 2015.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
I hate to disagree with you, D, as I consider you one of the more rational posters on this site but here in the South, and especially Louisiana, college baseball is a lot bigger than WBB. Your opinion is probably skewed by living in UCONN territory. Down here few people give a rat's ass about women's hoops. Hell, LSU went to like five straight Final Fours, including one in New Orleans, and nobody down here GAFF.
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I hate to disagree with you, D, as I consider you one of the more rational posters on this site but here in the South, and especially Louisiana, college baseball is a lot bigger than WBB. Your opinion is probably skewed by living in UCONN territory. Down here few people give a rat's ass about women's hoops. Hell, LSU went to like five straight Final Fours, including one in New Orleans, and nobody down here GAFF.
You may want to consider that Louisiana is not the center of the universe. Elsewhere, womens BB is significantly bigger than baseball, even if neither of us thinks that should be the case.
waveclem
Surge

Am I the only one here that is shocked that Jonathan sparked such a thought provoking discussion?! You da' man Jonathan!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

When I say WBB is bigger than Collegiate baseball, I'm talking about the national stage. Certainly, the NCAA women's basketball tournament draws more attention across the country than the NCAA baseball tournament.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
You may want to consider that Louisiana is not the center of the universe. Elsewhere, women's BB is significantly bigger than baseball, even if neither of us thinks that should be the case.
No argument here, I'm just saying that the reason " we've dedicated disproportionate resources" is because we have a "disproportionate" amount of donors who are much more interested in college baseball.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:When I say WBB is bigger than Collegiate baseball, I'm talking about the national stage. Certainly, the NCAA women's basketball tournament draws more attention across the country than the NCAA baseball tournament.
Yes I agree but the gap seems to be lessening and in the south I would argue that the CWS is much closer to the women's tourney than most realize. As for the ACC and B12, I'd say baseball isn't that far behind WBball. That being said the gap between men's Bball/FBall to baseball/WBball is massive making the argument between the value of baseball vs WBball somewhat meaningless.

I mean think about schools like LSU, Texas, Miss St, Old Miss, Florida, FSU, Miami, Tulane, Rice, TCU, Arkansas, USC (west and east) and many others.....they prefer baseball. Honestly this may not go over well but I find some of the focus on WBball (which lets admit is driven by ESPN) to be a little bit to satisfy the PC crowd, I mean I can't even watch a UConn WBball game, it's brutal. Maybe I am just a Neanderthal.

Edit: If you look at total attendance baseball isn't far off and suffers from the students leaving and the hot southern sun. I'd post it but am on my phone.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
You may want to consider that Louisiana is not the center of the universe. Elsewhere, women's BB is significantly bigger than baseball, even if neither of us thinks that should be the case.
No argument here, I'm just saying that the reason " we've dedicated disproportionate resources" is because we have a "disproportionate" amount of donors who are much more interested in college baseball.
That's an affect rather than a cause. The reason we dedicated those resources to the wrong sport(s) is because we have clueless leadership that directed those resources towards the wrong sports.
cajunfanatico
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Indeed. The only school I ever saw in the deep south who gave a rat's rear about women's basketball was LaTech back when they competed at the top levels of college basketball. It was funny to attend basketball games at Tech because they'd pack the place for the women's game and once it was completed the place would clear out for the men. :lol:
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wavetime
Swell

Great idea. That's what Miles does.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: That's an affect rather than a cause. The reason we dedicated those resources to the wrong sport(s) is because we have clueless leadership that directed those resources towards the wrong sports.
This has nothing to do with leadership. This has everything to do with people in New Orleans, Louisiana giving almost zero fucks about women's sports. Like it or not, them's the facts.
God Bless Everyone!
Jonathan
Riptide

I love Tulane women's golf but women's sports sadly does not produce income supposedly like football and secondarily men's basketball. I wish the ladies could dunk and we can equal U CONN and be number 1 in the nation recruiting taller,more powerful,faster and better shooters and rebounders. It will not happen under Fitts,Dickson and Lisa. No NCAA tournament this year again after many.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:I love Tulane women's golf but women's sports sadly does not produce income supposedly like football and secondarily men's basketball. I wish the ladies could dunk and we can equal U CONN and be number 1 in the nation recruiting taller,more powerful,faster and better shooters and rebounders. It will not happen under Fitts,Dickson and Lisa. No NCAA tournament this year again after many.
memo to Lisa... based on this post, go to Europe for your players !!! Hell, that is not a bad idea all things considered...after an influx of "foreign" players in basketball, baseball a few "rugby" type punters and "soccer" place kickers Tulane will be changing it's name.. "The Tulane International University of Louisiana"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !