SMU vs Tulane basketball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:As far as blaming CUSA for Tulane's lack of recruiting that just doesn't hold water. Tulsa, a very similar school to Tulane , did just fine.
Yep somebody had to win the CUSA tourney and get the one auto bid. Prior to last year they hadn't since 2003.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:As far as blaming CUSA for Tulane's lack of recruiting that just doesn't hold water. Tulsa, a very similar school to Tulane , did just fine.
Yep somebody had to win the CUSA tourney and get the one auto bid. Prior to last year they hadn't since 2003.
They clearly have established themselves w/a good follow up season this year. So like I said they were able to recruit to CUSA when it became a one bid league.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
They clearly have established themselves w/a good follow up season this year. So like I said they were able to recruit to CUSA when it became a one bid league.
Ok the league you play in in doesn't have any role in recruiting. :roll:
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Never said that. Just pointing out that the excuse given for EC's poor recruiting was BS.

Here's another CUSA team that doesn't let their conference affiliation hold them back:

http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Never said that. Just pointing out that the excuse given for EC's poor recruiting was BS.

Here's another CUSA team that doesn't let their conference affiliation hold them back:

Everything equal it does. It's easier to recruit to the AAC than CUSA. Put any coach in this league and they will recruit better than the CUSA. Conroy is recruiting better kids now because of the AAC. Better kids want to play against better talent.
Last edited by tpstulane on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Everything equal it does. It's easier to recruit to the AAC than CUSA. Put any coach in this league and they will recruit better than the CUSA.
Still doesn't mean one can't recruit to CUSA. Enough w/the excuses.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Everything equal it does. It's easier to recruit to the AAC than CUSA. Put any coach in this league and they will recruit better than the CUSA.
You forgot Tim Floyd. My point is its no excuse it's a fact. We are beating Floyd for players now because of this league.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

You forgot Tim Floyd. My point is its no excuse it's a fact. We are beating Floyd for players now because of this league.
Floyd is just one more example that it's an excuse not a fact.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Do you honestly believe that recruiting to a one bid league doesn't matter?
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

You can try and change the subject all you want but it doesn't change the fact that the excuse you have been trying to give is just that an excuse.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

You can try and change the subject all you want but it doesn't change the fact that the excuse you have been trying to give is just that an excuse.
Go back and read the question and my original answer. You are changing the subject.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Go back and read the question and my original answer. You are changing the subject.

Not at all. You have clearly been claiming that Tulane couldn't recruit b/c of the conference they were in. That's clearly not true.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here's your CUSA recruiting class from last year only 1 player (UAB) ranked in the top 150 out of the 16 CUSA schools. There's the proof. And as for Tulsa - (Preseason Pick: Fifth) They still have to play SMU twice, Cincy at home and UConn on the road. At 6-0, they've only beaten one team that currently boasts a winning record in AAC play and that's a weak Memphis.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... &confId=11
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Let's get back to the topic of the thread. Our Wave lost a gutty game to a superior SMU team. But we've shown promise and fight, these guys DO want to play for Conroy. I'll admit this team is better than I thought. With the recruits and maturity, we should be contending for a bid to the big dance in 2016-17.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:Let's get back to the topic of the thread. Our Wave lost a gutty game to a superior SMU team. But we've shown promise and fight, these guys DO want to play for Conroy. I'll admit this team is better than I thought. With the recruits and maturity, we should be contending for a bid to the big dance in 2016-17.
In EC sixth year, great.

The fact is that EC was at the bottom of CUSA recruiting and I have my doubts that he is anywhere above average in the AAC. It feels a whole lot like Tulane syndrome in this thread, happy to be mediocre and play hard. Happy to have mid tier D1 bigs like Dylan O (who is a solid player but we act like he might be a star and not the role player he is).

Now I hope I am wrong but I just don;t see any evidence that EC is the guy to bring sustained success where we are challenging for the NCAA every year and signing classes near the top of the AAC. I disagree that he is a top notch D1 in game coach, every time a decent team makes adjustments we look bad. Our offense doesn't get many easy buckets. The next couple of games will show me a lot, I hope to eat my words.
breaker
Ripple

Yes, the conference had something to do with recruiting, but I really think the upgrade in assistant coaches had more to do with our improved recruiting. The only African-American on Ed's early staffs was a Duke FOOTBALL player - not exactly someone to inspire a typical D-1 recruit to come. Now we have two assistants with stellar playing credentials and basketball connections in Shammond Williams and Quannas White - both were excellent players for elite programs. Hopefully being in the AAC will help us close on a few higher ranked recruits as well as help us retain assistant coaches. Ed is a good floor coach, but not a great recruiter - hopefully the developments in both assistant coaches and conference will lead to continued improvement.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

breaker wrote:Yes, the conference had something to do with recruiting, but I really think the upgrade in assistant coaches had more to do with our improved recruiting. The only African-American on Ed's early staffs was a Duke FOOTBALL player - not exactly someone to inspire a typical D-1 recruit to come. Now we have two assistants with stellar playing credentials and basketball connections in Shammond Williams and Quannas White - both were excellent players for elite programs. Hopefully being in the AAC will help us close on a few higher ranked recruits as well as help us retain assistant coaches. Ed is a good floor coach, but not a great recruiter - hopefully the developments in both assistant coaches and conference will lead to continued improvement.
Every coach/AD in the AAC says the same thing, is EC the guy to beat out programs like UConn, Cincy, Tulsa, SMU, Temple and even the Florida schools who have great facilities and greater recruitment bases. I have my doubts.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
breaker wrote:Yes, the conference had something to do with recruiting, but I really think the upgrade in assistant coaches had more to do with our improved recruiting. The only African-American on Ed's early staffs was a Duke FOOTBALL player - not exactly someone to inspire a typical D-1 recruit to come. Now we have two assistants with stellar playing credentials and basketball connections in Shammond Williams and Quannas White - both were excellent players for elite programs. Hopefully being in the AAC will help us close on a few higher ranked recruits as well as help us retain assistant coaches. Ed is a good floor coach, but not a great recruiter - hopefully the developments in both assistant coaches and conference will lead to continued improvement.
Every coach/AD in the AAC says the same thing, is EC the guy to beat out programs like UConn, Cincy, Tulsa, SMU, Temple and even the Florida schools who have great facilities and greater recruitment bases. I have my doubts.
Give me a break. Conroy is the lowest paid coach in the AAC and recruits to a high school size gameday facility. He's doing a phenomenal job to win at Tulane considering what he has to overcome.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Give me a break. Conroy is the lowest paid coach in the AAC and recruits to a high school size gameday facility. He's doing a phenomenal job to win at Tulane considering what he has to overcome.
I agree in many ways, others say Devlin isn't an issue BTW. However, Hertz is first class and the education offered should help. That being said, if we are going to accept that Devlin is a major albatross that will result in us being happy as a middle of the road AAC school, then we either need to upgrade Devlin, hire some up in comer who can overcome the obstacle or throw in the towel. Being happy with mediocrity is hardly a plan.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
I agree in many ways, others say Devlin isn't an issue BTW. However, Hertz is first class and the education offered should help. That being said, if we are going to accept that Devlin is a major albatross that will result in us being happy as a middle of the road AAC school, then we either need to upgrade Devlin, hire some up in comer who can overcome the obstacle or throw in the towel. Being happy with mediocrity is hardly a plan.
Skip all of that and start first in firing Dickson. Conroy is slowly building a program piece by piece. I don't think we'd have any shot at anyone better. Remember he was about our 4th or 5th choice. You have to walk before you can run. We are better off now than we have been at any point since 2000 (14 years ago). He's hired a good staff and things are starting to click.
tjtlja06
Low Tide

Isn't Conroy starting to show signs of overcoming mediocrity?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Here's your CUSA recruiting class from last year only 1 player (UAB) ranked in the top 150 out of the 16 CUSA schools. There's the proof. And as for Tulsa - (Preseason Pick: Fifth) They still have to play SMU twice, Cincy at home and UConn on the road. At 6-0, they've only beaten one team that currently boasts a winning record in AAC play and that's a weak Memphis.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... &confId=11
Fact is schools like Tulsa were then recruiting to the AAC as they knew they were in. In fact Tulsa's best players are their seniors who had no idea they would be playing above CUSA. So coaching matters. The truth is EC hired a recruiter when hired. He was almost immediately fired for being arrested for domestic violence. He then chose to go three full seasons w/out a recruiter. That's strictly on him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Let's get back to the topic of the thread. Our Wave lost a gutty game to a superior SMU team. But we've shown promise and fight, these guys DO want to play for Conroy. I'll admit this team is better than I thought. With the recruits and maturity, we should be contending for a bid to the big dance in 2016-17.
In EC sixth year, great.

The fact is that EC was at the bottom of CUSA recruiting and I have my doubts that he is anywhere above average in the AAC. It feels a whole lot like Tulane syndrome in this thread, happy to be mediocre and play hard. Happy to have mid tier D1 bigs like Dylan O (who is a solid player but we act like he might be a star and not the role player he is).

Now I hope I am wrong but I just don;t see any evidence that EC is the guy to bring sustained success where we are challenging for the NCAA every year and signing classes near the top of the AAC. I disagree that he is a top notch D1 in game coach, every time a decent team makes adjustments we look bad. Our offense doesn't get many easy buckets. The next couple of games will show me a lot, I hope to eat my words.
+1
tjtlja06
Low Tide

i think ec has shown some adaptability and some overall progress. i am not ready to write him off just yet. think beamer at vt. i am willing to see just how competitive we are the remainder of the season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Skip all of that and start first in firing Dickson. Conroy is slowly building a program piece by piece. I don't think we'd have any shot at anyone better. Remember he was about our 4th or 5th choice. You have to walk before you can run. We are better off now than we have been at any point since 2000 (14 years ago). He's hired a good staff and things are starting to click.
+1
On the 14 years.
Tulane Class of 1981