Who do you consider Tulane's best ever basketball player...

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
cajunfanatico
Swell

...and why?

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote:...and why?
this is a "no brain'er"... Harold Sylvester ... just like Steve Martin, (the first Black Athlete in SEC history), did for Tulane & SEC Baseball, Harold was a pioneer, the first Black Basketball player in the SEC ... put yourself in both of their uniforms and play in Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Athens, Nashville, Baton Rouge...both Harold and Steve must have had big azz stones to take on that responsibility...it is a damn shame that Tulane University is not accorded a high place in public opinion for the opportunities it has given the black athlete thru-out the South at a time when other schools refused to admit them as students
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Obviously, Hot Rod is Tulane's most successful basketball player. In the post point shaving era I would say Anthony Reed was incredible as a freshman, Kim Lewis was the best all around player until he broke his leg, and Honeycutt was the most talented, but he underachieved in my opinion. I've heard many people rave about Paul Thompson, but I never saw him play.
cajunfanatico
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:...and why?
this is a "no brain'er"... Harold Sylvester ... just like Steve Martin, (the first Black Athlete in SEC history), did for Tulane & SEC Baseball, Harold was a pioneer, the first Black Basketball player in the SEC ... put yourself in both of their uniforms and play in Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Athens, Nashville, Baton Rouge...both Harold and Steve must have had big azz stones to take on that responsibility...it is a damn shame that Tulane University is not accorded a high place in public opinion for the opportunities it has given the black athlete thru-out the South at a time when other schools refused to admit them as students
What year was Harold's first with the team, GN?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Obviously, Hot Rod is Tulane's most successful basketball player. In the post point shaving era I would say Anthony Reed was incredible as a freshman, Kim Lewis was the best all around player until he broke his leg, and Honeycutt was the most talented, but he underachieved in my opinion. I've heard many people rave about Paul Thompson, but I never saw him play.
While Paul Thompson was more athletic than Hot Rod, Hot Rod was the better player. He moved Micah Blount, the Senior Captain, to the bench when Rod was a Freshman. He consistently outperformed some of the best players in the college game at the time, including Keith Lee. And, after a year off due to point shaving scandal (he was involved, but got off on technicality) went on to have a solid NBA career, including a few years where he was the highest paid player in the NBA, ahead of Jordan, Bird, Magic and Worthy.

I agree that Honeycutt never lived up to his potential. But then again, I thought the same of Elpeage on the gridiron.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tjtlja06
Low Tide

He only played 2 and a half years but would have been the best ever. Kim Lewis, pre-injury, would have been our best ever and we perhaps would have made a Sweet 16 or Final 4. That injury at Indiana was just terrible.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Obviously, Hot Rod is Tulane's most successful basketball player. In the post point shaving era I would say Anthony Reed was incredible as a freshman, Kim Lewis was the best all around player until he broke his leg, and Honeycutt was the most talented, but he underachieved in my opinion. I've heard many people rave about Paul Thompson, but I never saw him play.
While Paul Thompson was more athletic than Hot Rod, Hot Rod was the better player. He moved Micah Blount, the Senior Captain, to the bench when Rod was a Freshman. He consistently outperformed some of the best players in the college game at the time, including Keith Lee. And, after a year off due to point shaving scandal (he was involved, but got off on technicality) went on to have a solid NBA career, including a few years where he was the highest paid player in the NBA, ahead of Jordan, Bird, Magic and Worthy.

I agree that Honeycutt never lived up to his potential. But then again, I thought the same of Elpeage on the gridiron.
Good summation. Hot Rod is w/out question the best ever at Tulane. Thompson would be next. The there is Johnny Arthurs who has kept himself in great shape and attends all of our games.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

From my tenure 1980-84 we were in just about every game in the Metro, which had Final Four-vintage Louisville and Memphis clubs, along with South Carolina and Florida State. The Gym on Freret was a pit for visiting teams. In 1981 TU lost in 3OT at North Carolina with Jordan, Worthy and Big Sam Perkins. I only remember being blown out at home vs. Ohio State and Tony Campbell. The biggest wins were at LSU and the comeback at UNLV both in the NIT, everyone streamed out of the dorms to celebrate the latter, a great moment. I played a lot of pool at the UC with Paul Thompson, he led a nice win on the road over Rutgers in 1980-81. The point-shaving scandal was one of the great shocks of my young life; years later through family I became friendly with one of the student fixers.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:From my tenure 1980-84 we were in just about every game in the Metro, which had Final Four-vintage Louisville and Memphis clubs, along with South Carolina and Florida State. The Gym on Freret was a pit for visiting teams. In 1981 TU lost in 3OT at North Carolina with Jordan, Worthy and Big Sam Perkins. I only remember being blown out at home vs. Ohio State and Tony Campbell. The biggest wins were at LSU and the comeback at UNLV both in the NIT, everyone streamed out of the dorms to celebrate the latter, a great moment. I played a lot of pool at the UC with Paul Thompson, he led a nice win on the road over Rutgers in 1980-81. The point-shaving scandal was one of the great shocks of my young life; years later through family I became friendly with one of the student fixers.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Three OT game with NC, was played in the Dome...but I agree, the Ferret St venue could be a tough place.. I remember Al McGuire and Marquette playing there...we sat behind the Marquette Bench, they pulled away late to win that game. Bo Ellis was a big name for Marquette, when he was pulled late in the game, we knew he had heard us all nite, he looked at us and just pointed to the score board...I told him his skinny azz was going to be kicked around by Rick Robey and Kentucky, he just laughed. After the game, he and a few other Marquette players turned and said we made this a much tougher game then they thought it would be...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

Phil Hicks, Hot Rod, Paul Thompson, Anthony Reed; maybe ARthurs and Kerwin (before my time).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:From my tenure 1980-84 we were in just about every game in the Metro, which had Final Four-vintage Louisville and Memphis clubs, along with South Carolina and Florida State. The Gym on Freret was a pit for visiting teams. In 1981 TU lost in 3OT at North Carolina with Jordan, Worthy and Big Sam Perkins. I only remember being blown out at home vs. Ohio State and Tony Campbell. The biggest wins were at LSU and the comeback at UNLV both in the NIT, everyone streamed out of the dorms to celebrate the latter, a great moment. I played a lot of pool at the UC with Paul Thompson, he led a nice win on the road over Rutgers in 1980-81. The point-shaving scandal was one of the great shocks of my young life; years later through family I became friendly with one of the student fixers.
That game AT UNC was the opener of the 1982-83 season, after UNC had won the National Championship in New Orleans the previous March. They had played in the Dome in the mid 70's and it was a 4 OT game.

VaTech was in the Metro as well, if memory serves they had a well respected coach named Charlie Moir.

During the later part of the 84-85 season, with gambling rampant on campus, many of us joked that Tulane was fixing games. Coming back from spring break, we were shocked to learn it was true!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
T1B2TW
High Tide

Phil Hicks, Jim Kerwin. 1& 1A, in no particular order.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
That game AT UNC was the opener of the 1982-83 season, after UNC had won the National Championship in New Orleans the previous March. They had played in the Dome in the mid 70's and it was a 4 OT game.

VaTech was in the Metro as well, if memory serves they had a well respected coach named Charlie Moir.

During the later part of the 84-85 season, with gambling rampant on campus, many of us joked that Tulane was fixing games. Coming back from spring break, we were shocked to learn it was true!
you are correct sir... I forgot about the game at NC
swampnik
Surge

Honeyecutt and Allen were the best forward "tandem" in college hoops at one point.
Dick Vidal said that "Pointer Williams" was the fastest man in college BB goal to goal.

Best overall though: Kim Lewis.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
exflash
High Tide

For an old timer---hal cervini!!!
Jonathan
Riptide

The two boys from U La La that harass this site, Ex Flash and CanjunF ,try to dominate this board instead of remaining on their own U La La board.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja06
Low Tide

Talking about the best basketball player, in the Clark era there was a guard that was with us for one season. I believed he transferred in and perhaps flunked out. Probably the best 3 point shooter we ever had. I remember a road game at St. Louis, I believe, where he hit 8 3's in a row. Does anyone remember his name and what happened to him?
Highwave
Low Tide

Patrick Lewis?
exflash
High Tide

Jonathan wrote:The two boys from U La La that harass this site, Ex Flash and CanjunF ,try to dominate this board instead of remaining on their own U La La board.
-----HEY DUDE I AM A LEGACY---MOM WAS AN ALUMNA OF NEWCOMB---I have followed through the years---watched and knew players growing up in NO, played HS ball with players, coached players, recruited players for the Cajuns that unfortunately went to Tulane---Chill out!!!
Jonathan
Riptide

You posted the same stupid question on the Sunbeltbbs board. Tell us who is your favorite University of Lafayette player? Do you have better things to do with your time?
tjtlja06
Low Tide

Highwave, it was Patrick Lewis. Great memory. He was a terrific shooter. What happened to him and where did he go after Tulane?
IM42lane
Swell

PHIL HICKS --- transferred from the Loyola 'Orphans' while I was in college. Played a couple of years in the NBA as I recall.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

IM42lane wrote:PHIL HICKS --- transferred from the Loyola 'Orphans' while I was in college. Played a couple of years in the NBA as I recall.
He could jump out of the gym.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

Jonathan wrote:You posted the same stupid question on the Sunbeltbbs board. Tell us who is your favorite University of Lafayette player? Do you have better things to do with your time?
Yes, as opposed to the negative, incoherent babbling, and generally insulting threads that you're famous for posting, that thread over there has received dozens of posts by fans who enjoy going back in time and remembering some of their favorite players for the distant past. I figured some here might also enjoy a trip down memory lane and I was right. I also see that you fail to disappoint yet again.

BTW, Andrew Toney.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

cajunfanatico wrote:
Jonathan wrote:You posted the same stupid question on the Sunbeltbbs board. Tell us who is your favorite University of Lafayette player? Do you have better things to do with your time?
Yes, as opposed to the negative, incoherent babbling, and generally insulting threads that you're famous for posting, that thread over there has received dozens of posts by fans who enjoy going back in time and remembering some of their favorite players for the distant past. I figured some here might also enjoy a trip down memory lane and I was right. I also see that you fail to disappoint yet again.

BTW, Andrew Toney.
Dwight Bo Lamar hands down. Best Ragin Cajun ever.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981