CJ's Recruiting Dud

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell

Latest recruiting ranking according to 247 Sports has Tulane 10/11 AAC teams, only beating out Tulsa. But at least Tulsa has a 4 Star recruit....

Eaglewave
Swell

CJ better step it up a bit. He doesn't know talent though.
Ball Sumrall!
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

I'm a bit concerned at this point. But recruiting rankings are a function of your program's prestige at a given time. For example, if a player commits to Tulane/Wyoming/New Mexico State, he's not getting four (or even three) stars.

Now I do think the 2016 La. class is loaded. But Tulane can't afford another 3-9 season to secure a good class.
Robert1969
Riptide

Ruski wrote:Latest recruiting ranking according to 247 Sports has Tulane 10/11 AAC teams, only beating out Tulsa. But at least Tulsa has a 4 Star recruit....

Tulane is going to have a small class which is going to hurt their standings here. The ranking isn't merely based on number of three and four star recruits you have. These services consider both quantity and quality. I pointed out in the Surf's Up Forum that 8 of the 11 commits Tulane had listed at ESPN had three stars, and that 11 of the 15 recruits Tulane has committed had three stars at at least one recruiting service. Tulane has had bigger classes in the past, but from my memory, this is the highest percentage of three star recruits we have had in quite some time.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Rivals shows that TU has one 3 star recruit (Anderson). The others are all two stars or less.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
Ruski wrote:Latest recruiting ranking according to 247 Sports has Tulane 10/11 AAC teams, only beating out Tulsa. But at least Tulsa has a 4 Star recruit....

Tulane is going to have a small class which is going to hurt their standings here. The ranking isn't merely based on number of three and four star recruits you have. These services consider both quantity and quality. I pointed out in the Surf's Up Forum that 8 of the 11 commits Tulane had listed at ESPN had three stars, and that 11 of the 15 recruits Tulane has committed had three stars at at least one recruiting service. Tulane has had bigger classes in the past, but from my memory, this is the highest percentage of three star recruits we have had in quite some time.
As has also been noted elsewhere, being a 3 star at ESPN isn't very exclusive.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:

A long time poster on the other site and the wave report site recently pointed out in a post on the wave report how there is clearly an inflation by several of the services to give out more three star rankings. He went through each service and pointed out also how Tulane's were on the bottom edge of the cut off between 3 and 2 stars in each of the service's rankings. Check it out if you are a member. Plus as noted above here Rivals only has one or two w/three stars at this time.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:Rivals shows that TU has one 3 star recruit (Anderson). The others are all two stars or less.

Thats what I saw as well. Just ONE three star with oral commitment only.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
oliveandblue
Surge

CJ is going to be in trouble after this season - unless he's hiding an ace in his sleeve that I don't know about.
tjtlja06
Low Tide

This class could be the best he has recruited. The recruiting guru's in Louisiana love this class. Full of athletes. In two year's we will know the results. And anyone that thinks stars aren't handed out to LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Penn State, USC, Michigan, etc., etc., etc., must live in Colorado. And I would certainly believe that given the constant ridiculous over and over and over and over negativity toward anything that is Tulane athletics. If I was that friggin miserable, I surely would find something else to do - like get a life.
Jonathan
Riptide

This is the worst recruiting season by CJ ever. Rick Dickson is paying over a million dollars a year to him for winning a three game losing season and no bowl game. CJ needs to be replaced for a young aggressive rising coach. Rick loved Scelfo and Toledo with contract extensions. Fire Rick Dickson now! 247 is a great consensus of the other ranking sites. . Last year we had a large three star group and one or two fours. This year nothing! Pathetic!
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Robert1969 wrote:

The recruiting class appears to be pretty solid so far, regardless of what Rivals or 247 thinks. Even if someone doesn't like espn's rating system, even ESPN has the average rating per recruit higher than last year.
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

247 is missing at least 3 of our commits.
Jonathan
Riptide

I rely on 247. They take the average of the other recruiting services . It is a great service and if your team is low like Tulane in recruiting you attempt as Tulane supporters to put it down. 247 gave us great three star scores last year. But everyone in the nation respects this service. Have a good day. Sadler I know your support for Tulane but I think you are wrong about Tulane recruiting. We do not have the three or four star athletes we had last year. We only compete with ULL ,Southern Miss and La. tech in recruiting. Most people will cancel their TAF donations and season tickets next year after three wins and a losing season and no bowl game.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sader24
Tsunami

The problem with Tulane football this past season was not talent. Call CJ out for whatever you want, but his recruiting and talent evaluation has proven to be pretty solid thus far. I think this class is a good one thus far, also Brian Webb isn't listed on any site as a commit and the WR from Mc35 who is supposedly close to committing hasn't committed yet. I think Dedrick Shy will end up being the best CB we've had since CJ got here.
Jonathan
Riptide

But why did we have a disastrous losing season winning only three games one against a Division 2 opponent ? Also no bowl game yet we are paying our coach over a million dollars a year!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:The problem with Tulane football this past season was not talent. Call CJ out for whatever you want, but his recruiting and talent evaluation has proven to be pretty solid thus far. I think this class is a good one thus far, also Brian Webb isn't listed on any site as a commit and the WR from Mc35 who is supposedly close to committing hasn't committed yet. I think Dedrick Shy will end up being the best CB we've had since CJ got here.
Totally agree on CJ. Not sure about the recruiting class though he's earned the benefit of the doubt on recruiting from me. Interesting take on Shy.
Bigschtick
Riptide

[quote="oliveandblue"]CJ is going to be in trouble after this season - unless he's hiding an ace in his sleeve that I don't know about.[/quote

The way he has coached this season certainly makes it clear he can't hide anything including the fact that he is
not up to the task of being a head coach!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:CJ is going to be in trouble after this season - unless he's hiding an ace in his sleeve that I don't know about.[/quote

The way he has coached this season certainly makes it clear he can't hide anything including the fact that he is
not up to the task of being a head coach!
from me and the Dawg....A BIG Plus one !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tjtlja06
Low Tide

CJ will do just fine. Next year will be a good year for us.
IM42lane
Swell

tjtlja06 wrote:CJ will do just fine. Next year will be a good year for us.
We NEED to COUNT ON THAT!!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Jonathan
Riptide

Next year will be a good year for us.? Are you serious? Another three win losing season with a small lowly two star recruiting class. Get serious! Yulman stadium will be less than fifty percent full next year like the Superdome because of a poor product and lowly two star recruits.
Eaglewave
Swell

IM42lane wrote:
We NEED to COUNT ON THAT!!!!

+1
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:But why did we have a disastrous losing season winning only three games one against a Division 2 opponent ? Also no bowl game yet we are paying our coach over a million dollars a year!
Jonathan, please, if you're going to post this crap, at least be accurate. One of our wins was against an FCS team, we didn't play any D2 teams this past year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd love to share your optimism, but with no changes in the coaching staff, we can expect the same crap we saw as the season progressed. If the "young team" we were putting on the field improved, I'd be more optimistic. Instead, it regressed as the season wore on. I can only pray that RD retires, and a new AD is hiring a new coach if we have anything less than 6 wins next year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V