President Fitts starting One Billion dollar fund raising

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

If this fund raising campaign is successful it should bring the Tulane endowment up over 2 billion! Recent article in the Times Picayune in regard to the drive.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:If this fund raising campaign is successful it should bring the Tulane endowment up over 2 billion! Recent article in the Times Picayune in regard to the drive.
This is already posted ..."Get on board the LUV train and donate to Tulane" heading
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jonathan
Riptide

90 percent of us read the Huddle and not our other boards. I wanted the 90 percent to see it on the Huddle before Steve either deleted or moved to a Tulane non athletic board that not many read. This is a very important commitment by President Fitts and Tulane. He has the fund raising background to get it done. It could bring Tulane academics to another higher level and I am as an alumnus excited about it. Do you get it!
Wavetime
Swell

Jonathan, I think this is great and I am glad you are excited. I hope all alumni are, this is big. This is also probably THE reason he was chosen as the new President! A stronger Tulane helps, in addition to academics, enrollment, athletics, the City of New Orleans and our state.
ccap05
Surge

I am a big supporter of Tulane athletics. However, my real interest in Tulane is the academics. I see this as a big positive and I am thrilled that Fitts seems to be taking control/responsibility rather than simply following in the rather small footsteps of SC.
JDTulane
Riptide

We've needed a campaign like this. I will be donating and will encourage my friends and family to do the same.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

Agree this is great and I am going to contribute myself. However, sports helps sell the university overall so hopefully, we will continue to see the capital investments in sports made.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Actually front page news in today's TP. Fitt's aiming at $100 million a year for 10 years straight.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Dave breslin
Swell

I just wrote a check for 1 Billion $. I think it will bounce.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Dave breslin wrote:I just wrote a check for 1 Billion $. I think it will bounce.
Now you're on the hook for a billion plus a $25 NSF fee.
God Bless Everyone!
JDTulane
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Actually front page news in today's TP. Fitt's aiming at $100 million a year for 10 years straight.

Apparently in the paper in a couple other states as well
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Actually front page news in today's TP. Fitt's aiming at $100 million a year for 10 years straight.

Apparently in the paper in a couple other states as well
Good. I'm more surprised that our local rag decided it was worthy of front page coverage since its not LSU related.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ccap05 wrote:I am a big supporter of Tulane athletics. However, my real interest in Tulane is the academics. I see this as a big positive and I am thrilled that Fitts seems to be taking control/responsibility rather than simply following in the rather small footsteps of SC.
Why? Per Fitts, this effort was started by Cowen.
JDTulane
Riptide

So JJ is happy SC started something positive? :)
ccap05
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
ccap05 wrote:I am a big supporter of Tulane athletics. However, my real interest in Tulane is the academics. I see this as a big positive and I am thrilled that Fitts seems to be taking control/responsibility rather than simply following in the rather small footsteps of SC.
JJ- From my position (alum, donator, athletic fan, parent of potential students) the big announcement and grand vision are very good things. Obviously, it is one thing making a grand announcement and another following through with 100 Mil a year, but the big announcement and initial (limited) explanation of the vision was impressive. I did not see this with SC. I never claimed that Fitss invented fund raising or started this particular drive. However, it seems like he has taken control and given the drive some initial energy, something which had not occurred under SC. Instead of trying to pick my words apart or looking backwards at SC, why don't you tell us if you think it is a good idea for Tulane to embark on a major fund raising effort in order to propel itself back into the top ranks of American Universities? Take your anti SC binders off and tell us what you think of what is going on now.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ccap05 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
JJ- From my position (alum, donator, athletic fan, parent of potential students) the big announcement and grand vision are very good things. Obviously, it is one thing making a grand announcement and another following through with 100 Mil a year, but the big announcement and initial (limited) explanation of the vision was impressive. I did not see this with SC. I never claimed that Fitss invented fund raising or started this particular drive. However, it seems like he has taken control and given the drive some initial energy, something which had not occurred under SC. Instead of trying to pick my words apart or looking backwards at SC, why don't you tell us if you think it is a good idea for Tulane to embark on a major fund raising effort in order to propel itself back into the top ranks of American Universities? Take your anti SC binders off and tell us what you think of what is going on now.
Alumni anger and apathy are at an all time high. I will be very interested to see how much money is actually raised. Right now, this is announcement about intended fundraising. We just had an announcement about a fundraising initiative that not only failed but came complete with a PR gaffe (Yulman challenge). If I were a betting man, I'd bet this is another initiative that will fail.

What initial explanation of the vision are you referring to? Fitts said 1) this started before me and 2) we'll let you know what this money is for later. There are no details of the vision or success so far or what Fitts has done to contribute, so there isn't much to conclude. Legal services for the community? Expanding financial aid? In what way does either of things require $1B or improve the school?

However, the one obvious thing is that leadership does see the writing on the wall with regards to the education bubble, given that the effort is "crucial for Tulane to remain relevant in the country's increasingly competitive higher education market." And the ONLY way to do that is to reduce the cost structure significantly. Period. End of story. Tulane has a leaky bucket. It needs to fix the leak, not pour more water in the bucket.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I'm pleased with this. The lack of resources is why Tulane cannot compete as well as it should in both academics and athletics. While an addition billion will not help as much as one would think that it should, if would be a leap in the right direction.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm pleased with this. The lack of resources is why Tulane cannot compete as well as it should in both academics and athletics. While an addition billion will not help as much as one would think that it should, if would be a leap in the right direction.
You want to lower the academic aid treshold. At Tulane one qualifies for a good bit of aid with an ACT of 31, (1 billion endowment).
At Rice one qualifies for academic aid with an ACT score at or above 26. (5 billion endowment) This is a tremendous help to baseball players.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I'm pleased with this. The lack of resources is why Tulane cannot compete as well as it should in both academics and athletics. While an addition billion will not help as much as one would think that it should, if would be a leap in the right direction.
You want to lower the academic aid treshold. At Tulane one qualifies for a good bit of aid with an ACT of 31, (1 billion endowment).
At Rice one qualifies for academic aid with an ACT score at or above 26. (5 billion endowment) This is a tremendous help to baseball players.
Where do you get this info, I thought it was all need-based.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Where do you get this info, I thought it was all need-based.
Some is academic and some is need based. The need based has a bigger spread. I don't have the $$$ income figures. Assuming your parents make $100k you can qualify for more aid at Rice than what Tulane can offer at the same income level.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

There has to be quicker way to help the baseball program than raising a billion dollars.

Do you really need a 31 ACT score for need-based aid?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:There has to be quicker way to help the baseball program than raising a billion dollars.

Do you really need a 31 ACT score for need-based aid?
No. You need it for academic aid. Need based aid is based on your financial ability. Academic aid is based on your intellect. It used to be 28 but has been since raised to 31 late in SC's tenure. Tulane baseball at one time had quite a few guys on academic aid at 28. But 31 is another story.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Brilliant fundraising plan. Not. Wait til the market peaks, then ask for money. There is a likely economic valley ahead, especially when the feds stop printing money ahead of the election. Typical academicians, out of step with reality.
JDTulane
Riptide

Because theres been a better time in the last 5 years? Lolk
Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote:Brilliant fundraising plan. Not. Wait til the market peaks, then ask for money. There is a likely economic valley ahead, especially when the feds stop printing money ahead of the election. Typical academicians, out of step with reality.
^This guy is a Flamer/Troll^ :roll: