5 Reasons to Support Tulane (and my reason otherwise

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

(I'm sure this doesn't belong in this forum, but I'm hoping that it will remain here long enough for others to see)

Like many of you, I received an email today entitled "Five Reasons to Support Tulane". Instead of grinding my teeth and making a paltry donation as I have previously done, today I took a couple minutes and prepared a response. I hope many of you that share my feelings will do the same. Here it is:

Dear Tulane fund coordinator,

I love Tulane. I’ve wanted to be a Tulane grad since I was 6. I can’t imagine anyone feeling more
love and loyalty than I have for the school.

Having said that, I have extreme disregard for former president Scott Cowen. I have such disdain
for the job he did as president that there isn’t adequate space in this message to document the reasons.
According to a recent story in The Hullabaloo, Mr. Cowen is currently on sabbatical and is earning his
former salary of almost one million dollars annually. Assuming this is true, I cannot offer any gift to
Tulane with the knowledge that the first million dollars received into the general fund would go toward
the salary of this failed president.

I am not asking for a response. I’m not a wealthy person and my small donation will hardly be missed.
I do hope that enough alumni will speak out demanding that all ties with Mr. Cowen be severed.

God bless Tulane and ROLL WAVE!

LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Scott Cowen is no longer the fu*king president of Tulane University. Move on!

If you want to bitch about Dickson so be it but Dr. Cowen is gone so move the f*ck on!

I can read the email already, I would love to donate to TAF but 15 years ago there was a president names Dr Cowen and I thought he was an ass ......

There are some great student athletes at Tulane doing wonderful things and they deserve our support! End of story!!!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Scott Cowen is no longer the fu*king president of Tulane University. Move on!

If you want to bitch about Dickson so be it but Dr. Cowen is gone so move the f*ck on!

I can read the email already, I would love to donate to TAF but 15 years ago there was a president names Dr Cowen and I thought he was an ass ......

There are some great student athletes at Tulane doing wonderful things and they deserve our support! End of story!!!
You seem to be missing the point. Scott Cowen, if confirmed, is still receiving his full salary and is still a full time employee of the university. Whether someone supports the university's fundraising efforts has absolutely no bearing on any students. It is simply a referendum on leadership to be interpreted by the Board.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Right. Not to mention that the impact of his policies and leadership over a 16-year term will be felt for a long time to come.
Bigschtick
Riptide

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Scott Cowen is no longer the fu*king president of Tulane University. Move on!

You move the F*ck on! If you don't think that Cowen is not still pulling the strings, your delusional! My 6 reasons as listed in my email for not donating:
Cowen, Dickson, going backwards academically, laughing stock of an athletic program, Scott and Margie still on the dole, and Fitts, where is he at?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Bigschtick wrote:

You move the F*ck on! If you don't think that Cowen is not still pulling the strings, your delusional! My 6 reasons as listed in my email for not donating:
Cowen, Dickson, going backwards academically, laughing stock of an athletic program, Scott and Margie still on the dole, and Fitts, where is he at?
I won't move on, instead I'll go to the men's basketball game tonight and support our student athletes. If you know anyone with inside knowledge you would know that Cowen is not pulling the strings. Where is Fitts? Maybe he is busy running the university and athletics is only 1 small part of that. Today there was a story on Nola.com that Tulane plans on raising 1 Billion, that's Billion with a B, dollars. Maybe he is busy with that.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:

I won't move on, instead I'll go to the men's basketball game tonight and support our student athletes. If you know anyone with inside knowledge you would know that Cowen is not pulling the strings. Where is Fitts? Maybe he is busy running the university and athletics is only 1 small part of that. Today there was a story on Nola.com that Tulane plans on raising 1 Billion, that's Billion with a B, dollars. Maybe he is busy with that.
Actually, he said the effort began well before he arrived, so the fundraising campaign is Cowen's too. I have no idea how they plan to raise the money, but I think the university has a better chance of being bankrupt than successfully raising $1B.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Dear LsuLawGreenie,

If you received the same email as I mentioned, you must have realized that the fundraiser has nothing to do with TAF or specifically with Tulane athletics.
It has nothing to do with supporting Tulane athletes or with Rick Dickson. Your only valid complaint might be that I placed this topic in the incorrect
forum. For that and my other shortcomings, I apologize profusely.

If you would like to donate to the Tulane general fund knowing that Scott Cowen is earning over $900k annually for his vacation leave, that is your right
and privilege. To tell me that it's unreasonable to be disturbed by this fact clearly indicates that we have different value sets. Do I feel as if I accomplished
anything with my email response? Probably not. But at least I communicated frustration. If every email recipient did the same, it might make some small
impact. I can only hope. In any case, I probably made a better impression on the recipient of my email reply than you did with most folks on this
forum.

Have fun at the game tonight. If you happen to see Scott Cowen, ask him to buy you a drink. God knows he can afford it.

Roll Wave!
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

GreenLantern wrote:

Dear LsuLawGreenie,

If you received the same email as I mentioned, you must have realized that the fundraiser has nothing to do with TAF or specifically with Tulane athletics.
It has nothing to do with supporting Tulane athletes or with Rick Dickson. Your only valid complaint might be that I placed this topic in the incorrect

If you would like to donate to the Tulane general fund knowing that Scott Cowen is earning over $900k annually for his vacation leave, that is your right
and privilege. To tell me that it's unreasonable to be disturbed by this fact clearly indicates that we have different value sets. Do I feel as if I accomplished
anything with my email response? Probably not. But at least I communicated frustration. If every email recipient did the same, it might make some small
impact. I can only hope. In any case, I probably made a better impression on the recipient of my email reply than you did with most folks on this
forum.

Have fun at the game tonight. If you happen to see Scott Cowen, ask him to buy you a drink. God knows he can afford it.

Roll Wave!
I'm just suck and tired reading on this forum how everyone hates Cowen and Dickson. I get it and I think they have made many mistakes in regards to Tulane. And yes I think this topic is on the wrong forum. I'm sorry you don't like that SC is making $900,000 and is on sabbatical but in the academic world unfortunately it's not uncommon. I've seen several chancellors and presidents get demoted and teach a single class and never take a pay cut. And let's not talk about tenure - that's a discussion for a different time. I hope you feel better after your email and I hope you feel it makes a difference.

And I had a great time at the game tonight. This years men's team is a lot of fun to watch.
Dave breslin
Swell

How many bricks do they need to sell to make 1 Billion $ ?
wave to em
Surge

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Dear LsuLawGreenie,

forum.

Roll Wave!
I'm just suck and tired reading on this forum how everyone hates Cowen and Dickson. I get it and I think they have made many mistakes in regards to Tulane. And yes I think this topic is on the wrong forum. I'm sorry you don't like that SC is making $900,000 and is on sabbatical but in the academic world unfortunately it's not uncommon. I've seen several chancellors and presidents get demoted and teach a single class and never take a pay cut. And let's not talk about tenure - that's a discussion for a different time. I hope you feel better after your email and I hope you feel it makes a difference.

And I had a great time at the game tonight. This years men's team is a lot of fun to watch.
Hey lsulawgreenie, take that mess to tigerdroppings.
CuJo.
#SickEmWave