MBB vs Savannah State ESPN3 TV 7pm

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave going for it's 8 straight win tonight.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

This is the second-to-last tuneup for Tulane this season. The REAL basketball season begins in Washington right around Christmas time.

Green Wave by about 20. They'll start out slow after the exam break, and will shoot better in the 2nd half.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

We don;t need to play all P5's but why can;t you schedule at least mid range programs. These home games against nobody opponents costs us $ and RPI. We are actually lucky that Wash and St John's are having better than expected years.

The team is playing well and size isn't an issue here, they will crush them from start to finish.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote:This is the second-to-last tuneup for Tulane this season. The REAL basketball season begins in Washington right around Christmas time.

Green Wave by about 20. They'll start out slow after the exam break, and will shoot better in the 2nd half.
+1
We will be able to tell a lot based on what we do against Wash and St Johns. We need at least a split in those two.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

We are playing better tough right now. I expect to really crush this team something like 87-56.
oliveandblue
Surge

We're leading 15-13 early on. Tulane looks like it doesn't want to even be here. Intensity levels are nonexistent after the 10 day layoff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:We are playing better tough right now. I expect to really crush this team something like 87-56.
I'm here now and the place is pretty empty. Looks like EC is experimenting with different combinations. Not really trying to crush these guys. Looks more like a practice. 15-13 Wave 7:35 1st half.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ugly. 27-23 Wave at half. We'd be down by 20pts if we were playing anybody decent.
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

tpstulane wrote:Ugly. 27-23 Wave at half. We'd be down by 20pts if we were playing anybody decent.
This is why you schedule a weak team coming off of any long break.

They should have saved Wake for the third or fourth game after the team had settled in...
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Ugly. 27-23 Wave at half. We'd be down by 20pts if we were playing anybody decent.
Wow. I sure hope we pick it up. This is the worst team on our schedule. I would pick Loyola to give them a good game.
Ball Sumrall!
JDTulane
Riptide

Tuning in and within first minute a horrendously lazy turnover
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Not much difference in the 2nd half. 69-59 Wave 1:45 left
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

Tulane shot the lights out this game, but couldn't stop turning the ball over and making mental mistakes. Don't look much into this game, but rather the next three after this "warmup session".
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave win 8th straight ugly 75-67
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Watched the game on ESPN3. Very depressing to see Fogleman so empty, but this is what happens when the AD allows a program to deteriorate over his 15 year watch. Expect Yulman to look the same very soon.
ccap05
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Watched the game on ESPN3. Very depressing to see Fogleman so empty, but this is what happens when the AD allows a program to deteriorate over his 15 year watch. Expect Yulman to look the same very soon.
I suspect that Fogleman was so empty because of the quality of the opponent and based on the fact that Tulane is on the Holiday break. Wait until the conference portion of the schedule starts before you make too many judgments about what attendance will be this year. I am looking forward to seeing if there is a big uptick in student attendance at games against AAC opponents this year.

That being said, there is no question that Tulane needs to upgrade its non-conference schedule. Fogleman is a small arena but it can be fun and exciting when there is a jazzed up crowd. This will only happen if Tulane has a competitive team (and unfortunately the WF game is probably the best test of that so far) and if we are scheduling recognizable opponents. I have no problem playing a patsy at the start of the season and directly after the exams break, but we schedule way too many.

While I am not holding my breath, a win over St. John's or Washington would build some buzz for the team going into the conference schedule.
oliveandblue
Surge

The weird part of the scheduling is that they are one of the few teams that schedules itself out of an at-large bid.

Tulane could easily be 7-2 or 8-1 on a schedule that calculates as being a lot better. They needed to play more Loyola-Chicagos and less SWAC teams. It's a really simple concept to understand.

Tulane's RPI didn't move after this win. That means that there was no value in bringing this team in.

A loss and this team would have been KO'd from at-large consideration AND would have suffered an RPI drop of around 30-40 spots.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote:The weird part of the scheduling is that they are one of the few teams that schedules itself out of an at-large bid.

Tulane could easily be 7-2 or 8-1 on a schedule that calculates as being a lot better. They needed to play more Loyola-Chicagos and less SWAC teams. It's a really simple concept to understand.

Tulane's RPI didn't move after this win. That means that there was no value in bringing this team in.

A loss and this team would have been KO'd from at-large consideration AND would have suffered an RPI drop of around 30-40 spots.
Yes. Take a look at LSU's schedule this year. They also play Savannah St but play better RPI games with decent named teams. We should try to refrain from scheduling too many teams with RPI's from the prior season above 195. Our SOS was 325 at one point.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Why would you schedule to get an At Large bid when you aren't trying to get an At Large bid?
Robert1969
Riptide

My take: this game should never had been this close. We built a 16 point lead at one point, and let it dwindle with sloppy ball-handling (unacceptable for a guard-heavy line-up), ill-advised shots where we were being too fancy, some dumb fouls, and poor free-throw shooting down the stretch.

But, on the brightside Peyton Henson had a break-out game. He showed good athleticism and even did well inside. This was, far and away, his best game even if it was against an under-sized team. He showed that he might just have the potential to develop into a serious post player -- not Josh Davis calibur, but good enough -- although he is still a work-in-progress. This was the first time since Josh Davis left that I had any confidence in a big guy. He's still not ready for prime time yet in my view. I do think it is time to start him ahead of Ryan Smith starting with Jackson State.
breaker
Ripple

We're still 2-1 in my books - a bad loss to Wake Forest but very respectable wins against Loyola-Chicago and Miss. State. The other games aren't even worth acknowledging - even as wins they are actually killing any chance at an NCAA berth. That's the problem with a poorly written contract for the head coach that incents the wrong outcomes. The even sadder part is we have to pay guarantees to get these tomato cans to show up and play us to pad our record.

I'd feel much better about a "real" 5-4 record than the illusion of an 8-1 record that we have at this point. We are no more prepared for late-game situations now than we were at the beginning of October. The conference is down this year and we certainly could be competitive, but I know the other mid-level American teams such as Memphis, UCF, Temple and Houston have played more legitimate opposition to prepare themselves for conference play.
oliveandblue
Surge

Houston are exactly as good as Tulane. Both games in that pair will be close.

UCF is a tire fire and should be swept. It's a black mark on Conroy if he fails to do so.

Memphis is a better team than Tulane, but are sloppy and cannot execute. A split is possible, but unlikely.

Temple is hot-and-cold, but they are probably a little better than Tulane.

Houston and UCF are teams that Conroy has beaten before with weaker teams. I'm curious to see if we can play Memphis tight @ FedEx Forum.