Webster's new definition of loser...........................

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Green Wave
Swell

I wonder if it has to do with RD not wearing a tie. ;)

:mrgreen:
ROLL WAVE!
torbida
Surge

Not the tie even ;)Webster would do better as an athletic director
greenphantom
Swell

I never understand why people make such an issue over RD not wearing a tie. That is probably the least significant of his many faults.
JerseyWave
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:I never understand why people make such an issue over RD not wearing a tie. That is probably the least significant of his many faults.
Wrong! It's all part of being professional and attention to detail. It's part of perception and representing Tulane University. He has failed as a fundraiser traveling around the country and he has failed everytime he has conducted a national search for a Head Coach. At least CJ and Conroy know how to dress. They are always wearing a tie in front of the media or attending a public function. Rick Dickson is an embarrassment when he gets in front of the media. Watch how ADs of successful Athletic Programs conduct themselves in the public eye and you'll see them dressed appropriately for their job. Rick Dickson is an utter failure as CEO of Tulane Athletics!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

People probably wouldn't care that much about the not wearing a tie business if the teams at least were winners. At most schools the athletics directors are usually very much in the background while the coaches, who would tend to be in the spotlight when the teams are having success, are more front and center. The situation at TU with Dickson receiving so much of the spotlight is topsy-turvy.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
greenphantom
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:I never understand why people make such an issue over RD not wearing a tie. That is probably the least significant of his many faults.
Wrong! It's all part of being professional and attention to detail. It's part of perception and representing Tulane University. He has failed as a fundraiser traveling around the country and he has failed everytime he has conducted a national search for a Head Coach. At least CJ and Conroy know how to dress. They are always wearing a tie in front of the media or attending a public function. Rick Dickson is an embarrassment when he gets in front of the media. Watch how ADs of successful Athletic Programs conduct themselves in the public eye and you'll see them dressed appropriately for their job. Rick Dickson is an utter failure as CEO of Tulane Athletics!
You must be retired because most people don't wear ties to work anymore
ajcalhoun
Swell

greenphantom wrote: You must be retired because most people don't wear ties to work anymore
Most people who get a paycheck the size of his do.
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I agree with this. I like to keep the criticisms on important things, and wearing a tie isn't one of them. In Silicon Valley, wearing a tie actually makes people think less of you (think Zuckerberg's hoodie). If Dickson were any good at his job, no one would have any problem with his attire.
Bigschtick
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

oh really, Statistics? Non-public contact jobs?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
greenphantom
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

oh really, Statistics? Non-public contact jobs?
Do your own research. I could care less whether you believe it or not but suits/ties started going out in the 90s as companies started switching to business casual, even top execs at large companies. I worked for an international CPA firm and we were business casual unless at a client with suits as a dress code which was very rare and that was 10 years ago. Also worked for a large publicly traded company. Same thing, business casual.
JDTulane
Riptide

Very few people wear ties at Tulane
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The tie thing is mostly just a joke and indicative that RD doesn't get it....just as we joke at him fumbling around with his water like a first year grad student presenting to the class. 99% of ADs wear ties to press conferences (hell I would bet the vast majority wear a tie each day) and discussions regarding the fact that less people wear ties is irrelevant to this discussion. RD's an outlier and when you have run a athletics program with no fans, no money and no success you don't deserve to be an outlier, that's the point. When you suck at your job people will nitpick everything, especially a very well paid public job.
Dave breslin
Swell

It's not the tie. It's the person who has a terrible track record. Period!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote:It's not the tie. It's the person who has a terrible track record. Period!!!

The reason RD does not wear a tie... he does not wish to give the fan base the easiest thing to choke him with
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
T1B2TW
High Tide

When RD is on the road soliciting donations (big ones) I wonder if he wears tie in that scenario. I certainly hope so. I know if I were one of the ones whose money he is trying to squeeze out of me he better be wearing a tie. Elsewise I would say no, and tell him why I am denying his request.