Somebody Likes Us

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Enjoyed reading that!! Thanks!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Here's another one. We are getting some love!!!

http://www.collegefootballcafeteria.com ... to-expand/
51WaveBG
High Tide

If the Big 12 let TU in and we still had CJ & RD, we would never win a conference game.
Eaglewave
Swell

51WaveBG wrote:If the Big 12 let TU in and we still had CJ & RD, we would never win a conference game.
+1
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Right. Because those who understand college athletics realize that Tulane's natural resources are a major asset to a P5 and that Tulane could be a great athletic program if it wanted to be. That's why we know that the Big12 and ACC have had interest over the past 10-15 years.

Meanwhile, we continue sabotaging those natural resources while we implement a small time D1A football program that competes against schools like Army and Rice and pays for itself.

As horrific as that sounds, it's the fault of those of you who continue to make excuses for this comedy routine. Please don't tell me that Yulman is a "great first step". We're FARTHER away from having P5-ready facilities than before we spent $70M.
greenie78
Riptide

I agree with JJ. Yulman was a terrible idea and took away from resources that really could have helped the athletic department.
cajunfanatico
Swell

greenie78 wrote:I agree with JJ. Yulman was a terrible idea and took away from resources that really could have helped the athletic department.
Fred said it best. First you build the coaching staff, football team, athletic program. Then you build the stadium and other facilities with potential expansion in mind.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

If we can expand yulman to 40k, that is fine. Vandy's, duke and wake have similar size stadiums and they have had success in p5 conferences. If big 12 let's us in we could expand both yulman and devlin quickly.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Stop dreaming! We will be lucky not to be kicked out of the American Conference! Thinking we are heading to a bigger
conference is delusional. Our program is a complete joke.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Charlie Dunn wrote:If we can expand yulman to 40k, that is fine. Vandy's, duke and wake have similar size stadiums and they have had success in p5 conferences. If big 12 let's us in we could expand both yulman and devlin quickly.
They aren't "letting us in". First we have to show that we are serious and Yulman did not accomplish that. In fact, Yulman showed them that we aren't serious.
TXWave88
Surge

51WaveBG wrote:If the Big 12 let TU in and we still had CJ & RD, we would never win a conference game.
And that would still be a better situation than where we are now. I would take a Big 12 invite and not win a conference game in the first year. That is a no brainer. Also, it wouldn't be long before we can hire a coach that is in demand, not CUSA Tulane's 5th option.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

I would take a Big 12 invite and not win a conference game in the first year. That is a no brainer.

I would too, but can you imagine this program facing Oklahoma and Baylor and TCU? :shock:

But since we have the least competitive AD/administration ever, the Big 12 thing won't happen.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Two great lines in the first article:
If the ACC considered you and said no, us (Big 12) even showing interest is like inviting an Ebola patient to your bobbing for apples party.
and my favorite:
..the idea to expand with schools like Cinci or Memphis is akin to the idea that if only the Titanic had more trash It would have floated.
51WaveBG
High Tide

TU playing in the Big 12 would be the biggest comedy routine ever seen on TV. Most of the teams in the Big 12 would chew us up and spit us out before the 1st half was over and spend the 2nd half laughing so hard that they couldn't play.
MDS15
Ripple

51WaveBG wrote:TU playing in the Big 12 would be the biggest comedy routine ever seen on TV. Most of the teams in the Big 12 would chew us up and spit us out before the 1st half was over and spend the 2nd half laughing so hard that they couldn't play.
We would get beat up for a while. BUT, The additional $15-20 Million per year and increased TV/Internet exposure would have us nationally competitive within 5 years. Even quicker in hoops.
Bigschtick
Riptide

One guy not even connected to the conference expresses one opinion and that starts all
this nonsence.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
TXWave88
Surge

Can you imagine how much LSU would whine if we found a way into a P5 conference? It is actually one of my top reasons I hope for a gift invite. Of course there are several reasons, but that would be very satisfying to see/hear.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

While I want a bigger basketball arena and football stadium we can't fill the ones we are in now. We need to stop worrying about the size of our facilities and winning more games. To say we aren't serious about our sports because our facilities are too small is silliness, ESP when they are expandable. The main thing now is winning and putting that money into top notch coaches and recruiters.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Charlie Dunn wrote:While I want a bigger basketball arena and football stadium we can't fill the ones we are in now. We need to stop worrying about the size of our facilities and winning more games. To say we aren't serious about our sports because our facilities are too small is silliness, ESP when they are expandable. The main thing now is winning and putting that money into top notch coaches and recruiters.
This is just not the case. The "facilities armsrace" has been ongoing in D1A athletics for 10 years. We do not have the facilities to compete. In two years, it will be clear that ULL will have the second best football facilities in Louisiana.

You need the facilities in order to attract the athletes who will win. Every other university understands this.
Wavetime
Swell

Charlie Dunn wrote:While I want a bigger basketball arena and football stadium we can't fill the ones we are in now. We need to stop worrying about the size of our facilities and winning more games. To say we aren't serious about our sports because our facilities are too small is silliness, ESP when they are expandable. The main thing now is winning and putting that money into top notch coaches and recruiters.

I am of the belief that this will take care of itself. This past week Baylor hosted Gameday and they mentioned how their attendance was a horror. Now they are expanding.....again.

We have closet fans out there. Fans that love Tulane. Fans that hate LSU. Fans that enjoy college athletics period. If we are competitive and the opposition is quality, we will draw.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Wavetime wrote:If we are competitive and the opposition is quality, we will draw.
That's true but there's the rub, isn't it? I hate to sound like a broken record but, when there is no commitment to winning, there will be no consistent winning. It really is that simple. We just went 3-9 and Tulane is moving right along with the same personnel, the same "model," the same lack of neckties, as if everything were just peachy.

At Tulane, wins and losses don't matter. That wasn't just an off the cuff remark. That is their credo.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
ccap05
Surge

I believe that we have a number of issues that need to be addressed. We need a new AD, we should be fielding competitive AAC football/basketball teams, and our facilities need upgrading. Most importantly, Tulane needs to improve academically and must re-consider the engineering decision. That being said Tulane has some very unique attributes that make it an attractive candidate for inclusion in a P5 conference- especially the XII or ACC. Our academics is good which is an attribute. We are in a city to which other teams and broadcast people enjoy traveling. Our athletic issues are fixable and our facilities can be upgraded. We are not a directional school or a second tier state school. Finally, there are simply not that many attractive candidates who do not have negatives which are not easily fixable. I assume that any attempts to contact P5 conferences about possible invitations will be kept secret. However, at some point in the very near future I would like to hear from President Fitts about his vision of athletics at Tulane. This does not need to be a date at which RD will be replaced- rather he needs to let us know whether he supports an attempt by Tulane to move into the big time or if he is happy with a 2nd rate program.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ccap05 wrote:I believe that we have a number of issues that need to be addressed. We need a new AD, we should be fielding competitive AAC football/basketball teams, and our facilities need upgrading. Most importantly, Tulane needs to improve academically and must re-consider the engineering decision. That being said Tulane has some very unique attributes that make it an attractive candidate for inclusion in a P5 conference- especially the XII or ACC. Our academics is good which is an attribute. We are in a city to which other teams and broadcast people enjoy traveling. Our athletic issues are fixable and our facilities can be upgraded. We are not a directional school or a second tier state school. Finally, there are simply not that many attractive candidates who do not have negatives which are not easily fixable. I assume that any attempts to contact P5 conferences about possible invitations will be kept secret. However, at some point in the very near future I would like to hear from President Fitts about his vision of athletics at Tulane. This does not need to be a date at which RD will be replaced- rather he needs to let us know whether he supports an attempt by Tulane to move into the big time or if he is happy with a 2nd rate program.
:? :? :?

They've made it clear that Yulman is the crown jewel and that it is the culmination of the sports complex. They JUST spent money on Fogelman and built Yulman and yet both are inadequate for a P5. We can't even finish paying for the too small football stadium.

Word is any next project would be on the Olympic/non-revenue sports or the athletes village. This is the program Scott Cowen always wanted and we're stuck with it.