Somebody Likes Us

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ccap05
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
ccap05 wrote:I believe that we have a number of issues that need to be addressed. We need a new AD, we should be fielding competitive AAC football/basketball teams, and our facilities need upgrading. Most importantly, Tulane needs to improve academically and must re-consider the engineering decision. That being said Tulane has some very unique attributes that make it an attractive candidate for inclusion in a P5 conference- especially the XII or ACC. Our academics is good which is an attribute. We are in a city to which other teams and broadcast people enjoy traveling. Our athletic issues are fixable and our facilities can be upgraded. We are not a directional school or a second tier state school. Finally, there are simply not that many attractive candidates who do not have negatives which are not easily fixable. I assume that any attempts to contact P5 conferences about possible invitations will be kept secret. However, at some point in the very near future I would like to hear from President Fitts about his vision of athletics at Tulane. This does not need to be a date at which RD will be replaced- rather he needs to let us know whether he supports an attempt by Tulane to move into the big time or if he is happy with a 2nd rate program.
:? :? :?

They've made it clear that Yulman is the crown jewel and that it is the culmination of the sports complex. They JUST spent money on Fogelman and built Yulman and yet both are inadequate for a P5. We can't even finish paying for the too small football stadium.

Word is any next project would be on the Olympic/non-revenue sports or the athletes village. This is the program Scott Cowen always wanted and we're stuck with it.
JJ- "They" have not made this clear. The idea that Yulman is the culmination of anything is what many frustrated fans believe is Tulane's position. What little has been stated by Tulane is that Yulman can be expanded (but no real word on the limits of expansion). I am not opposed to improvements for the Olympic/non-revenue sports and I encourage you to cite where you get your information.

The problem is that the Administration has not made anything clear. Simple communications on items such as the progress of the Yulman challenge are simply not being made. I assume that there is communication between the University and the big donors and I understand that not everything can be made public. However, with the strong possibility that there will be additions to the Bix XII (and perhaps the ACC) and with the probability based on the FB teams performance this year that ticket sales will fall next year it seem imperative to me that Tulane put out some sort of vision for the future beyond "buy a brick".

I am not a knee jerk attacker of RD (although I do believe he should be put out to pasture). I consider myself an avid Tulane fan who buys tickets, makes (used to make) donations, and generally supports the Universities academic and athletic programs. However, the continued failure by the University to even try to communicate is certainly lessening my enthusiasm and, I believe, is causing the University to lose a golden opportunity to attract new fans and re-emerge as the second university athletic program in the state.

Fred Dowler
Riptide

ccap05 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
ccap05 wrote:I believe that we have a number of issues that need to be addressed. We need a new AD, we should be fielding competitive AAC football/basketball teams, and our facilities need upgrading. Most importantly, Tulane needs to improve academically and must re-consider the engineering decision. That being said Tulane has some very unique attributes that make it an attractive candidate for inclusion in a P5 conference- especially the XII or ACC. Our academics is good which is an attribute. We are in a city to which other teams and broadcast people enjoy traveling. Our athletic issues are fixable and our facilities can be upgraded. We are not a directional school or a second tier state school. Finally, there are simply not that many attractive candidates who do not have negatives which are not easily fixable. I assume that any attempts to contact P5 conferences about possible invitations will be kept secret. However, at some point in the very near future I would like to hear from President Fitts about his vision of athletics at Tulane. This does not need to be a date at which RD will be replaced- rather he needs to let us know whether he supports an attempt by Tulane to move into the big time or if he is happy with a 2nd rate program.
:? :? :?

They've made it clear that Yulman is the crown jewel and that it is the culmination of the sports complex. They JUST spent money on Fogelman and built Yulman and yet both are inadequate for a P5. We can't even finish paying for the too small football stadium.

Word is any next project would be on the Olympic/non-revenue sports or the athletes village. This is the program Scott Cowen always wanted and we're stuck with it.
The problem is that the Administration has not made anything clear.
That's right at the core of the whole story with TU sports.

TU really needed to have come out of the whole 2003 episode with an abundantly clear statement that "we are in this to win, pure and simple, and win consistently in the two sports programs that matter and do that while playing tough, attractive schedules." Failing to do that has cost TU dearly again and again.

Of course they've steadfastly avoided anything of the sort and have continued to this day to cast doubt on any genuine commitment to winning and of course have also avoided issuing a clear statement as regards the actual number of seats in the stadium. What's the long term vision and plan? No clear statement about that, either.

Did they finish the entirety of the fundraising campaign in connection with the stadium? We don't know.

Are there definite plans for facilities for the minor sports and what are those plans? No clear statement about that, either.

Expansion of the stadium? Well, a great big "maybe it will happen one day in the distant future..." on that. LOL

Going by the whole of TU's actions, though, and the actions of, say, the group who operate the other forum, who are, as we know, very close to the administration in mind and in heart, is it reasonable to conclude that they feel that the stadium is the "crown jewel?" I would have to say so.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Wavetime
Swell

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote:http://big12fanatics.com/dont-listen-me ... pansion/3/

The guy makes sense!
Thanks for this post and link... He makes a great deal of sense
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Of course. Another reminder that if we had competent athletics that we would be highly attractive to P5s. But for some reason allowing Rick Dickson indefinite employment is more important.