Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:My thought as to why we could be bowl-eligible this fall:

Take a look at last season. We were 3-9. BUT, there were several games we could/should have won, if not for the lack of discipline and coaching. If Fritz had been the coach last season, do you think we would have won six games? If so, then why would you think he couldn't do that against an easier schedule this season?
Assuming it was his first season, Fritz probably wouldn't have won 6 or more games with our roster last year - he probably would have won 3-5, as our schedule was a lot more difficult that it appears at first glance - 6 teams spent time ranked, only 4 teams didn't make it to bowls (including FCS Maine), etc. and our offensive line wasn't that great (which is important). This discrepancy in regard to records at Tulane vs. GA Southern is due in large part to the talent and coaching difference of the Sunbelt vs. the AAC - we would have won 6+ games last year with GA Southern's Schedule with CJ (only 4/11 Sunbelt teams were bowl eligible last year while the AAC was 8/12). This year, our non-conference is significantly easier (no likely bowl eligible P5s), but we lost a lot of talent to transfers, graduation, and eligibility, and our 2016 recruiting class did not really make up for that much. We should be good in 2017, however.

As for the schedule, unfortunately, it's difficult to gauge how strong a team is until the season is over, so it's hard to look at our Schedule in an effort to gauge it's strength. That being said, we can look at it from a 10,000 ft level and say - Navy and Memphis won't be as good this year due to major QB losses (that doesn't mean that they won't be good, just not as good); UCF (new head coach that uses the spread), UConn (new coach responsible for offense), SMU (year 2 for Morris), and Tulsa (year 2 for spread coach Montgomery; Tulsa was ranked #21 in scoring last year) will probably be better this year; and it's unclear how the offseason will impact Temple (draft losses but will likely field a strong defense anyway) and Houston (draft losses but big recruiting class). As a result, even though our non-conference schedule is weaker than last year, our conference schedule may be more difficult on average than last years given that a lot of teams that we played last year will be better this year, and, while our coaching talent has significantly increased since last year, our field talent/experience level has decreased some since last year.

Don't misunderstand, the target is still 6 for the regular season, and, if we beat that great! It's just that we shouldn't panic if we don't hit more than 3.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:My thought as to why we could be bowl-eligible this fall:

Take a look at last season. We were 3-9. BUT, there were several games we could/should have won, if not for the lack of discipline and coaching. If Fritz had been the coach last season, do you think we would have won six games? If so, then why would you think he couldn't do that against an easier schedule this season?
Assuming it was his first season, Fritz probably wouldn't have won 6 or more games with our roster last year - he probably would have won 3-5, as our schedule was a lot more difficult that it appears at first glance - 6 teams spent time ranked, only 4 teams didn't make it to bowls (including FCS Maine), etc. and our offensive line wasn't that great (which is important). This discrepancy in regard to records at Tulane vs. GA Southern is due in large part to the talent and coaching difference of the Sunbelt vs. the AAC - we would have won 6+ games last year with GA Southern's Schedule with CJ (only 4/11 Sunbelt teams were bowl eligible last year while the AAC was 8/12). This year, our non-conference is significantly easier (no likely bowl eligible P5s), but we lost a lot of talent to transfers, graduation, and eligibility, and our 2016 recruiting class did not really make up for that much. We should be good in 2017, however.

As for the schedule, unfortunately, it's difficult to gauge how strong a team is until the season is over, so it's hard to look at our Schedule in an effort to gauge it's strength. That being said, we can look at it from a 10,000 ft level and say - Navy and Memphis won't be as good this year due to major QB losses (that doesn't mean that they won't be good, just not as good); UCF (new head coach that uses the spread), UConn (new coach responsible for offense), SMU (year 2 for Morris), and Tulsa (year 2 for spread coach Montgomery; Tulsa was ranked #21 in scoring last year) will probably be better this year; and it's unclear how the offseason will impact Temple (draft losses but will likely field a strong defense anyway) and Houston (draft losses but big recruiting class). As a result, even though our non-conference schedule is weaker than last year, our conference schedule may be more difficult on average than last years given that a lot of teams that we played last year will be better this year, and, while our coaching talent has significantly increased since last year, our field talent/experience level has decreased some since last year.

Don't misunderstand, the target is still 6 for the regular season, and, if we beat that great! It's just that we shouldn't panic if we don't hit more than 3.
Very little chance we win only 3 games. In fact, as bad as the reports have been about QB play I still believe we win 6 games easy. Defense and a running game is enough to win 6 against this schedule.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The schedule is not that tough nor is the conference. Throwing out the term Bowl Eligible is the low bar syndrome at work. I think 80 teams were Bowl Eligible. Sorry but that's just misleading. If someone was in a major Bowl game or in an established Bowl like the Liberty that's worthy of them being considered a good team. Teams playing in the Igotabcrazyto bewatchingthisshit Bowl are not good. Average maybe but not good. It's a BS designation.

Memphis lost their coach and 1st Round pick QB, Temple lost the heart and soul of their D, Navy lost a gem at QB, UCONN doesn't have much to work with on offense for their new OC, SMU's defense is horrible, UCF didn't win a game. The conference won't get near the notoriety this year as Houston will likely be the only truly good team in the conference.

If Brantley or a 5th year transfer comes in and can play we should win at least 6. The OL will be better b/c they will use schemes to mask their limitations. we will be in much better shape and we will be disciplined. Lots of reasons to foresee 6 wins.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:The schedule is not that tough nor is the conference. Throwing out the term Bowl Eligible is the low bar syndrome at work. I think 80 teams were Bowl Eligible. Sorry but that's just misleading. If someone was in a major Bowl game or in an established Bowl like the Liberty that's worthy of them being considered a good team. Teams playing in the Igotabcrazyto bewatchingthisshit Bowl are not good. Average maybe but not good. It's a BS designation.

Memphis lost their coach and 1st Round pick QB, Temple lost the heart and soul of their D, Navy lost a gem at QB, UCONN doesn't have much to work with on offense for their new OC, SMU's defense is horrible, UCF didn't win a game. The conference won't get near the notoriety this year as Houston will likely be the only truly good team in the conference.

If Brantley or a 5th year transfer comes in and can play we should win at least 6. The OL will be better b/c they will use schemes to mask their limitations. we will be in much better shape and we will be disciplined. Lots of reasons to foresee 6 wins.
The reason I use bowl eligibility is that it is difficult to compare schedules and teams, even after a season is completed. Because of that, bowl eligibility is the best possible marker since it signals that a team defeated half of the teams that it played in the regular season, and, when you look at the records of the teams that that team defeated, it gives you an idea of how strong those teams were. As I mentioned earlier, when we evaluate Fritz performance at GA Southern, we have to do through the fact that while the 2015 team went 8-4, it only went 1-4 against bowl eligible teams. That says (1) the schedule in general was lackluster in general since only 5/12 opponents made it to bowls and (2) that the competition was significantly below the AACs level - it's possible that we could play 8 bowl eligible teams in 2016 without scheduling a GA Tech, a Miss State, or a West Virginia.

Of course, if we land a big deal transfer, it could change the equation, but that is something that is analyzed after it happens since it's unpredictable.
jonathanjoseph wrote:Very little chance we win only 3 games. In fact, as bad as the reports have been about QB play I still believe we win 6 games easy. Defense and a running game is enough to win 6 against this schedule.
Maybe, but history, data, and experts seem to converge on the less than 6 win side for us. It's not an issue that our team won't be decent, it's just that it probably won't be good enough to beat 6 teams on our schedule - yet.

Also, if our QB play is horrible (which I hope it isn't, I hear good things about Powell), defenses will be ready for us to run the ball like they were last year.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Please try and keep this thread on topic. Thanks.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:The schedule is not that tough nor is the conference. Throwing out the term Bowl Eligible is the low bar syndrome at work. I think 80 teams were Bowl Eligible. Sorry but that's just misleading. If someone was in a major Bowl game or in an established Bowl like the Liberty that's worthy of them being considered a good team. Teams playing in the Igotabcrazyto bewatchingthisshit Bowl are not good. Average maybe but not good. It's a BS designation.

The reason I use bowl eligibility is that it is difficult to compare schedules and teams, even after a season is completed. Because of that, bowl eligibility is the best possible marker since it signals that a team defeated half of the teams that it played in the regular season, and, when you look at the records of the teams that that team defeated, it gives you an idea of how strong those teams were. As I mentioned earlier, when we evaluate Fritz performance at GA Southern, we have to do through the fact that while the 2015 team went 8-4, it only went 1-4 against bowl eligible teams. That says (1) the schedule in general was lackluster in general since only 5/12 opponents made it to bowls and (2) that the competition was significantly below the AACs level - it's possible that we could play 8 bowl eligible teams in 2016 without scheduling a GA Tech, a Miss State, or a West Virginia.

Of course, if we land a big deal transfer, it could change the equation, but that is something that is analyzed after it happens since it's unpredictable.
jonathanjoseph wrote:Very little chance we win only 3 games. In fact, as bad as the reports have been about QB play I still believe we win 6 games easy. Defense and a running game is enough to win 6 against this schedule.
Maybe, but history, data, and experts seem to converge on the less than 6 win side for us. It's not an issue that our team won't be decent, it's just that it probably won't be good enough to beat 6 teams on our schedule - yet.

Also, if our QB play is horrible (which I hope it isn't, I hear good things about Powell), defenses will be ready for us to run the ball like they were last year.
Doesn't change the fact that it's a misleading term. As for Fritz he has a long history of winning even before Ga. Southern. I'll remind you again that stats are for losers. You really think Memphis will have a QB anywhere near the level of Paxton? The examples can go on and on. The fact is every team on our schedule other than Houston appears to be very beatable this season. That's not saying we can just check them off as W's. It's saying that if Fritz is the coach we think he is he'll find a way to get 6 or more wins against this schedule.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Every program in the country had significant losses. Those that are well coached will continue moving forward. I don't see the point of predicting wins against teams that were MUCH more talented than Tulane a year ago simply because they graduated key players. We stunk, and we graduated and lost to attrition at least as much as anyone in the conference. In other words, we're probably the least talented team in the conference, with a coach that MIGHT be on par with the top coaches in the conference. (I'd have to say at best he's 2nd or third behind the Houston and Navy coach.) Keep in mind he inherited a program at GSU that was already geared to run the offense he ran. Here he's making a COMPLETE change from CJ's (ineffective) offense.

In short we stunk last year, lost a lot to graduation and attrition, had a weak recruiting class, and are doing a 180 degree change in offensive philosophies. Why do people think we'll be so much better this year?

Getting back on topic: The issue I see is that the Big 12 MIGHT vote to add members at months end or over the summer, and I don't see anything written about Tulane trying to lobby the conference the same way that Houston, Memphis and others seem to be. Believe me, if Tulane was pushing hard for membership, the media would know about it. Frankly, I think Fitts and Dannen recognize that we're not a legitimate contender AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be.

There's no doubt that virtually every member of the AAC wants to get into a P5. The best bet is to get the AAC recognized as the 6th "Power" conference. Right now we're still way behind our conference mates, despite some great things we bring to the table.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Every program in the country had significant losses. Those that are well coached will continue moving forward. I don't see the point of predicting wins against teams that were MUCH more talented than Tulane a year ago simply because they graduated key players. We stunk, and we graduated and lost to attrition at least as much as anyone in the conference. In other words, we're probably the least talented team in the conference, with a coach that MIGHT be on par with the top coaches in the conference. (I'd have to say at best he's 2nd or third behind the Houston and Navy coach.) Keep in mind he inherited a program at GSU that was already geared to run the offense he ran. Here he's making a COMPLETE change from CJ's (ineffective) offense.

In short we stunk last year, lost a lot to graduation and attrition, had a weak recruiting class, and are doing a 180 degree change in offensive philosophies. Why do people think we'll be so much better this year?

Getting back on topic: The issue I see is that the Big 12 MIGHT vote to add members at months end or over the summer, and I don't see anything written about Tulane trying to lobby the conference the same way that Houston, Memphis and others seem to be. Believe me, if Tulane was pushing hard for membership, the media would know about it. Frankly, I think Fitts and Dannen recognize that we're not a legitimate contender AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be.

There's no doubt that virtually every member of the AAC wants to get into a P5. The best bet is to get the AAC recognized as the 6th "Power" conference. Right now we're still way behind our conference mates, despite some great things we bring to the table.
Dannen has already gone on record that "We have to take care of our house first". The reality is that the Big 12 is years away if ever for us.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Everyone didn't have significant losses. Fritz did not inherit a team who already ran his offense. He has had much different offenses in the past. He did what good coaches do. He adapted to the talent he had that was recruited for that offense.

People feel we'll be better b/c of the great improvement in conditioning and discipline. We'll also see significant improvement in ST play as Fritz coaches that himself. Also b/c of his proven ability to figure out what to do w/the players he inherited. Other than Houston the better teams in our conference from last year did suffer significant losses. So we see the possibility of getting 6 wins this season. Nobody is guaranteeing that and no one is marking teams off as sure wins. They just see a legitimate possibility that we could do that.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Every program in the country had significant losses. Those that are well coached will continue moving forward. I don't see the point of predicting wins against teams that were MUCH more talented than Tulane a year ago simply because they graduated key players. We stunk, and we graduated and lost to attrition at least as much as anyone in the conference. In other words, we're probably the least talented team in the conference, with a coach that MIGHT be on par with the top coaches in the conference. (I'd have to say at best he's 2nd or third behind the Houston and Navy coach.) Keep in mind he inherited a program at GSU that was already geared to run the offense he ran. Here he's making a COMPLETE change from CJ's (ineffective) offense.

I agree about our roster being one of the worst in the AAC for 2016 - and that's with our 2016 recruiting class was ranked #9 in conference. In contrast to our roster, I expect big things from UCF since its roster is one of the best in the conference and the main reason that they had a horrible 2015 season is that the head coach couldn't handle being AD and head coach at the same time (who can?).

As for Big 12 expansion in regard to us, we probably haven't heard anything since there is nothing to say. It's true we bring academics and Louisiana recruiting, but that's it. All of the university created brochures about BYU, Colorado State, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, USF, and UCF reference a wide range of statistics that gauge areas that we generally are not competitive in (enrollment size and growth, number of living alumni, size of tv markets, performance highlights, alumni giving, NSF research/research per faculty member, athletic expenditures, etc.). There is a reason that we are not competitive in those areas - we are a mid-sized private institution located in a decent but not large tv market that doesn't have a recent history of success with athletics that suffered from both a poor leader and a natural disaster at the worst possible times which negatively impacted our ability to expand our research capabilities (we are ranked behind all of those programs in NSF research in 2014 except for BYU and Memphis) and our ability to build a competitive/sustainable athletics program, and those two issues (leadership and disaster) prevented us from landing in a high profile conference which has allowed our chief competitor to dominate the college athletic arena in not only our state, but also in our own city. Our best shot at the Big 12 was when the conference only had 8 members and -needed- to expand to 10+ in order to keep its TV contract together (survive), and rumors we were on the very short list thanks to OU and UT. In contrast to that survival based expansion (tv contract), this expansion appears to be about current money (tv network money, assuming expansion is coupled with a tv network and title game) and future money (next tv contract), and we just don't move the needle in that regard, at least not enough to rank us in front of those programs. We can aim for 2024-2025 and hope that the conferences do not consolidate further before then.
winwave wrote: Doesn't change the fact that it's a misleading term. As for Fritz he has a long history of winning even before Ga. Southern. I'll remind you again that stats are for losers. You really think Memphis will have a QB anywhere near the level of Paxton? The examples can go on and on. The fact is every team on our schedule other than Houston appears to be very beatable this season. That's not saying we can just check them off as W's. It's saying that if Fritz is the coach we think he is he'll find a way to get 6 or more wins against this schedule.
I think that's where we disagree. You say that all of the teams are beatable aside from Houston, and in response to that, I would ask when was the last time we had a winning record against a Schedule stronger than our 2013 Schedule (2002)? Of course the teams can be beaten, but there is no indication other than a new coach that we will be able to do so in year 1.

To put us and Georgia Southern in perspective - Georgia Southern's 2014/2015/2016 recruiting classes were all ranked higher than ours, and, more importantly, none of those classes were ranked outside of the top 4 in the Sunbelt (the 2016 class was #1 in the Sunbelt according to 247). Basically, Georgia Southern had a good coach, but it had big time talent on its roster relative to its opposition and this makes the fact that the program only went 1-4 against bowl eligible teams in 2015 concerning (the losses included losses to Georgia State and Appalachian State). In contrast, none of our recruiting classes are above #8 in the AAC and none of our classes have been ranked above that even going back to 2012, and, given that we are installing a new coach, offense, and probably defense, we should be realistic about our expectations, especially for year 1. CJ may be been wrong about a lot of things, but he was right that there is a difference in talent between the CUSA vs. the AAC, let alone in the Sunbelt. In the Sunbelt and FCS, you can almost win just based off of having a good coach and maybe a good P5 transfer. That doesn't appear to be enough in the AAC and higher conferences.

(Memphis was more than just its quarterback, and, if it just finds a game manager QB for 2016, it will probably win 6 games. If it finds a solid QB, it will win more than that.)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I agree about our roster being one of the worst in the AAC for 2016 - and that's with our 2016 recruiting class was ranked #9 in conference. In contrast to our roster, I expect big things from UCF since its roster is one of the best in the conference and the main reason that they had a horrible 2015 season is that the head coach couldn't handle being AD and head coach at the same time (who can?).

As for Big 12 expansion in regard to us, we probably haven't heard anything since there is nothing to say. It's true we bring academics and Louisiana recruiting, but that's it. All of the university created brochures about BYU, Colorado State, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, USF, and UCF reference a wide range of statistics that gauge areas that we generally are not competitive in (enrollment size and growth, number of living alumni, size of tv markets, performance highlights, alumni giving, NSF research/research per faculty member, athletic expenditures, etc.). There is a reason that we are not competitive in those areas - we are a mid-sized private institution located in a decent but not large tv market that doesn't have a recent history of success with athletics that suffered from both a poor leader and a natural disaster at the worst possible times which negatively impacted our ability to expand our research capabilities (we are ranked behind all of those programs in NSF research in 2014 except for BYU and Memphis) and our ability to build a competitive/sustainable athletics program, and those two issues (leadership and disaster) prevented us from landing in a high profile conference which has allowed our chief competitor to dominate the college athletic arena in not only our state, but also in our own city. Our best shot at the Big 12 was when the conference only had 8 members and -needed- to expand to 10+ in order to keep its TV contract together (survive), and rumors we were on the very short list thanks to OU and UT. In contrast to that survival based expansion (tv contract), this expansion appears to be about current money (tv network money, assuming expansion is coupled with a tv network and title game) and future money (next tv contract), and we just don't move the needle in that regard, at least not enough to rank us in front of those programs. We can aim for 2024-2025 and hope that the conferences do not consolidate further before then.
winwave wrote: Doesn't change the fact that it's a misleading term. As for Fritz he has a long history of winning even before Ga. Southern. I'll remind you again that stats are for losers. You really think Memphis will have a QB anywhere near the level of Paxton? The examples can go on and on. The fact is every team on our schedule other than Houston appears to be very beatable this season. That's not saying we can just check them off as W's. It's saying that if Fritz is the coach we think he is he'll find a way to get 6 or more wins against this schedule.
I think that's where we disagree. You say that all of the teams are beatable aside from Houston, and in response to that, I would ask when was the last time we had a winning record against a Schedule stronger than our 2013 Schedule (2002)? Of course the teams can be beaten, but there is no indication other than a new coach that we will be able to do so in year 1.

To put us and Georgia Southern in perspective - Georgia Southern's 2014/2015/2016 recruiting classes were all ranked higher than ours, and, more importantly, none of those classes were ranked outside of the top 4 in the Sunbelt (the 2016 class was #1 in the Sunbelt according to 247). Basically, Georgia Southern had a good coach, but it had big time talent on its roster relative to its opposition and this makes the fact that the program only went 1-4 against bowl eligible teams in 2015 concerning (the losses included losses to Georgia State and Appalachian State). In contrast, none of our recruiting classes are above #8 in the AAC and none of our classes have been ranked above that even going back to 2012, and, given that we are installing a new coach, offense, and probably defense, we should be realistic about our expectations, especially for year 1. CJ may be been wrong about a lot of things, but he was right that there is a difference in talent between the CUSA vs. the AAC, let alone in the Sunbelt. In the Sunbelt and FCS, you can almost win just based off of having a good coach and maybe a good P5 transfer. That doesn't appear to be enough in the AAC and higher conferences.

(Memphis was more than just its quarterback, and, if it just finds a game manager QB for 2016, it will probably win 6 games. If it finds a solid QB, it will win more than that.)
We have 1997 as proof of what a good coaching staff can do. You see it as a negative that we will have new systems. I see it as a most helpful change. As for CJ he was absolutely wrong about the talent level difference between CUSA and the AAC. Almost the entire conference were former CUSA teams only a year or two removed from CUSA. Just another one of his poor excuses.

You are again stuck on just his time at GS. Like I said he's coached a long time as a HC and has won every where he's been. You like to rely on numbers . What they miss are key things such as his intense efforts at team building. He has also adapted to his talent wherever he has been. That's proven. He doesn't just talk the talk like most coaches. He walks the walk.

Our OOC is Wake Forest, Southern, ULL and UMASS. All very winnable. There is good reason to believe we could get 6 wins this year. You don't want to accept that. That's on you. No one is putting expectations on the program and saying it's a t least 6 or bust. What they are saying is that with the weak schedule it is certainly possible.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I hear you on the numbers, but numbers and data tell a story without regard to subjectivity, and I do reference Fritz's time at Georgia Southern, but that is why we hired him - if he had not won there, we would not have extended an offer to him regardless of his previous results. The Georgia Southern data indicates that Georgia Southern's roster was more talented than the rosters of the vast majority of the Sunbelt, so it's not surprising that he did well there - at least in conference play - since he is a good coach and the roster was solid. Plus, Georgia Southern had won 28 games in the three years immediately before the hiring of Fritz, so he was building on top of a great foundation on his first day (roster, fanbase, athletics commitment, etc.). In sharp contrast, we (Tulane) do not have a real foundation, and, as such, he will need to build one from almost scratch, and it will take time since our roster is relatively weak - he will need to build the roster through talent gained from experience as opposed to talent gained by recruiting players that can make an instant impact since we are not going to randomly begin recruiting at a high level (i.e. 4 AAC teams had 2016 recruiting classes in the top 65 - Memphis, Temple, USF, and Houston).

I think our issue is just we are focusing on our opponents instead of ourselves. Of course our OOC isn't a gauntlet on paper, but would we have won those four games last year? What about the year before? What about the year before that? What about . . . My point is, while we may be facing relatively easy teams, we may not be ready to beat those teams yet since we have functionally hit the reset button and are basically starting from scratch - for hopefully the last time (i.e. ideally, Fritz is sucessful and when he leaves and we hire the next coach, the next coach can build on his success).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I hear you on the numbers, but numbers and data tell a story without regard to subjectivity, and I do reference Fritz's time at Georgia Southern, but that is why we hired him - if he had not won there, we would not have extended an offer to him regardless of his previous results. The Georgia Southern data indicates that Georgia Southern's roster was more talented than the rosters of the vast majority of the Sunbelt, so it's not surprising that he did well there - at least in conference play - since he is a good coach and the roster was solid. Plus, Georgia Southern had won 28 games in the three years immediately before the hiring of Fritz, so he was building on top of a great foundation on his first day (roster, fanbase, athletics commitment, etc.). In sharp contrast, we (Tulane) do not have a real foundation, and, as such, he will need to build one from almost scratch, and it will take time since our roster is relatively weak - he will need to build the roster through talent gained from experience as opposed to talent gained by recruiting players that can make an instant impact since we are not going to randomly begin recruiting at a high level (i.e. 4 AAC teams had 2016 recruiting classes in the top 65 - Memphis, Temple, USF, and Houston).

I think our issue is just we are focusing on our opponents instead of ourselves. Of course our OOC isn't a gauntlet on paper, but would we have won those four games last year? What about the year before? What about the year before that? What about . . . My point is, while we may be facing relatively easy teams, we may not be ready to beat those teams yet since we have functionally hit the reset button and are basically starting from scratch - for hopefully the last time (i.e. ideally, Fritz is sucessful and when he leaves and we hire the next coach, the next coach can build on his success).
You are again stuck on his time at GS. He took over a number of downtrodden programs and made them better in short periods of time. As I posted above 1997 is just one example of how a truly good staff can turn things around in year one especially against a weak schedule. He most certainly have been on our list even if he hadn't been at GS. He's a proven winner. all that is being said is that it is not folly to think Tulane can win 6 games this year. You want to be led by the numbers alone and give up on next season before it starts. That's your perogative. Others rightfully believe we have a chance for success.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, one of my points was that winning at the Sunbelt in below levels doesn't take nearly as much as it takes to win in the AAC, and I think that is something that we should be able to agree on. Given that that is the case, which it is, it's difficult to justify transposing success at those lower levels to instant success at our level. It would be the same if we compared the Big 12 to the AAC - the AAC is much easier to win in.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to disagree. The AAC is no big jump in talent. It's just not. The conference had a good year last year. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think this season will be anything like that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The AAC is much tougher than the C-USA we left. Yes, many of the teams were in the conference but not when we left it, save for ECU (which has been a better and more established program than Tulane for a long time) and Tulsa (which went through a lousy coach of their own). We left a C-USA that included power house programs like Rice and Marshall. We came into a conference that won a BCS Bowl game our first year in the conference and had three teams ranked most of our second year, one finished in the top ten. When was the last time C-USA did that? 1998?

And the point about GSU's program being deeper when he took over (and had run the option for generations) than the Tulane program he inherits here should not be lost on anyone. We may see better fundamentals, improved game management (it could only get better, couldn't possibly get worse!) and better special teams. But we're incredibly thin. Look at the depth chart released today. We have linemen that were recruited for a totally different system. Some of the incoming Freshman will be giving the upperclassmen a run for their positions. There will be growing pains. There are other coaches in this conference getting paid to beat teams like Tulane like a drum.

6 wins would be a miracle. We can agree to disagree, but you don't win without talent, you don't downgrade solid, established programs (like Navy) just because they lost their most popular player. On one hand many of you want to say we're going to win because we finally have a good coach. On the other hand you're saying the other programs are going to suffer because they lost key players (despite the fact that they have coaching staffs that are every bit as good as ours.) It can't play one way for Tulane and the other way for everyone else.

Rome was not built in a day. Neither will Tulane football. Again, in December you can make fun of me for saying 6 wins will be a miracle. I'd be happy to be wrong about that. But we will be underdogs in at least 8 games this year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

For the most part the programs you are referring to only got in a year before us and some at the same time. UCF did win a BCS Bowl and then went winless this year. Teams were ranked this year but for the most part faded at the end except for Houston. The CUSA we left was was one we aware in for only one year. Very misleading .

Of course there will be growing pains but like 1997 a good staff like we now have can turn things around quickly against a weak schedule. There's no guarantee but based on Fritz and his staffs' past it's realistic to think we can win 6. I'd point out those linemen in 97 were also recruited for a totally different system.

Reynolds wasn't just their most popular player he was damn good at what they do. That's a major loss at a key position. Other than an inconsistent LaFrance we didn't graduate much. A game manager will come nowhere close to being what Lynch was at Memphis. Plus they lost their coach. Their losses were all much more significant than ours.

We agree that we can agree to disagree on our chances to win 6. We will be underdogs a lot but that's why they play the games.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:For the most part the programs you are referring to only got in a year before us and some at the same time. UCF did win a BCS Bowl and then went winless this year. Teams were ranked this year but for the most part faded at the end except for Houston. The CUSA we left was was one we aware in for only one year. Very misleading .

Of course there will be growing pains but like 1997 a good staff like we now have can turn things around quickly against a weak schedule. There's no guarantee but based on Fritz and his staffs' past it's realistic to think we can win 6. I'd point out those linemen in 97 were also recruited for a totally different system.

Reynolds wasn't just their most popular player he was damn good at what they do. That's a major loss at a key position. Other than an inconsistent LaFrance we didn't graduate much. A game manager will come nowhere close to being what Lynch was at Memphis. Plus they lost their coach. Their losses were all much more significant than ours.

We agree that we can agree to disagree on our chances to win 6. We will be underdogs a lot but that's why they play the games.
All true.
BUT we had a QB in 1997. A great college QB. WE didn't know he'd be great, but he was.
And we will have OL depth problems -can't escape them because don't have the bodies.
My biggest concern going into 1996 was OL (I wasn't worried about QB because I liked King because he didn't throw ints - didn't know he'd be great though). They were able to fashion an excellent OL. But they had more bodies. One thing they did was move a TE to LT...he was way undersized, but still effective.
Last edited by DrBox on Thu May 19, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show Me
Tsunami

It's a stretch to have this thread remain on the Tulane board.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:For the most part the programs you are referring to only got in a year before us and some at the same time. UCF did win a BCS Bowl and then went winless this year. Teams were ranked this year but for the most part faded at the end except for Houston. The CUSA we left was was one we aware in for only one year. Very misleading .

All true.
BUT we had a QB in 1997. A great college QB. WE didn't know he'd be great, but he was.
And we will have OL depth problems -can't escape them because don't have the bodies.
My biggest concern going into 1996 was OL (I wasn't worried about QB because I liked King because he didn't throw ints - didn't know he'd be great though). They were able to fashion an excellent OL. But they had more bodies. One thing they did was move a TE to LT...he was way undersized, but still effective.
No doubt QB is the biggest question mark. But then again while you and I saw good things in King most didn't b/c of the offense he had been in. The hope is that Fritz adjust to our talent and puts a blocking scheme in place that takes full advantage of our very talented and deep RB group. So this team will just have to go about it in a different way.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I see your points, but history is against us.

1. All of the AAC programs struggled in the first year in the AAC except for programs that had a history of winning. It's true that this year will not be our first year in the AAC, but given our on the field success, recruiting classes, roster losses, new coach, and new systems, it may as well be. Our position is virtually the same as Chad Morris' position at SMU (who didn't go bowling last year) - Fritz may have more experience as a head coach than Morris, but our overall roster may be worse.

2. It's true that some of the best AAC programs faded at the end of the 2015, but they still had high profile wins prior to the end of the overall season - Temple (Penn State), Navy (Pittsburgh), Houston (Louisville and Florida State), Cincinnati (Miami), USF (Syracuse), East Carolina (Virginia Tech) and Memphis (Ole Miss and Kansas) each had big time P5 wins, and that is over 50% of the conference without even including wins against Army or good G5 teams.

3. Navy is a very good program. Beginning with 2003, Navy has won fewer than 8 games in a season -once-. While I agree that the loss of Reynolds is a big loss, that loss alone doesn't appear to be enough to justify predicting that Navy will be average or below given its history of success playing quality FBS schedules.

4. Memphis is in a better place than we are. The experience on the roster is there (two years of 9+ wins). The recruiting classes are there (both 2015 and 2016 classes are in the top 5 of the AAC). The commitment to athletics is there. Think of it this way, both Tulane and Memphis have new coaches and new quarterbacks. However, if you cover up those facts, Memphis is in a far better position due to its roster - both in terms of talent and experience. Fun fact - Memphis' current QB (Ferguson) is a Tennessee transfer who passed 15 for 20 for 172 yards and three touchdowns in the Memphis spring game. And we have a 50% chance of starting a 2* true freshman because our QBs combined to go 7 for 17 for 69 yards with one touchdown and one interception (if Powell went 5 for 7 for 59 yards in our spring game, I don't know why he is #3 on our depth chart especially since Bradwell went 0 for 2 with an interception and Cuiellette was 2 for 8 with a touchdown).

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/sports/tak ... e71ae.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Screw history. Bring on the games. :mrgreen:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Win, I agree. I want to see the games played.

But the problem I see is one I've perpetrated in the past: We have a new coach that we're all excited about. And we think he's going to transform the team from a bad one to a good one just by a dozen weeks or so of coaching. And we also think that he'll be better than established coaches with established programs his first year. Sorry, but I've been there and done that. That's why I think 6 wins with this roster will be an amazing job, and should win him Coach of the Year if he pulls it off.
Wavetime
Swell

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/20 ... sion-texas

Thoughts? Golfnut?

I think this is probably accurate.
2ndGenWave
High Tide

Wavetime wrote:http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/20 ... sion-texas

Thoughts? Golfnut?

I think this is probably accurate.

Just more proof that the Big 12 is most likely going to jettison Texas to expand, Texas basically thinks they are hot shit when honestly Baylor probably draws more eyeballs to TVs nationally now. Texas is bringing less and less to the table every year that their programs languish. They'd be smart to tell Texas: you get to be our version of Notre Dame or you can get the hell out! Then add five AAC teams that geographically fit into their league: Houston, Tulane, Memphis, Cincinnati, and UCF to get to 14 teams.