Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:They trend is going back to campus. The Liberty Bowl sucks and Fed Ex is off campus as well. Glad to see them committing to new stadium and arena. How much are they spending?
False. Wrong. Incorrect. F&CK!!!!!!!!!!!!

They renovated the Liberty Bowl and Fed Ex and are spending money on practice facilities for both sports.

Who woulda thunk that the universities that are getting it right all do the exact opposite of what Team Cowen/Dickson does.
Ok. 5 teams in our league recently built new stadiums. That's the trend. Tulane followed that trend. They just f'd it up building too small.

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/ ... -the-trend

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:They trend is going back to campus. The Liberty Bowl sucks and Fed Ex is off campus as well. Glad to see them committing to new stadium and arena. How much are they spending?

They renovated the Liberty Bowl and Fed Ex and are spending money on practice facilities for both sports.

Who woulda thunk that the universities that are getting it right all do the exact opposite of what Team Cowen/Dickson does.
Ok. 5 teams in our league recently built new stadiums. That's the trend. Tulane followed that trend. They just f'd it up building too small.

No. Wrong again.

None of those schools built a stadium "instead of" other facilities. Either they already had them or planned to build them also, but only Rick Dickson has pursued a facilities plan that suggests that the non-gameday facilities were not a critical part of the plan.

No competent athletic director would build an on campus game day facility instead of other facilites if there was already a suitable gameday facility.

As Memphis has proven and as is getting them attention from the Big12. And the Liberty Bowl is no Superdome.
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

No. Wrong again.

None of those schools built a stadium "instead of" other facilities. Either they already had them or planned to build them also, but only Rick Dickson has pursued a facilities plan that suggests that the non-gameday facilities were not a critical part of the plan.

No competent athletic director would build an on campus game day facility instead of other facilites if there was already a suitable gameday facility.

As Memphis has proven and as is getting them attention from the Big12. And the Liberty Bowl is no Superdome.
I've been to the Liberty Bowl many times.
First, the stadium is not on campus. Second, its on the old Fairgrounds, which is nothing more than a giant empty parking lot in the middle of a giant empty parking lot. Third, the stadium is old and every "renovation" has simply been redoing the press boxes and repainting. Fourth, they have backless bench seats, which NO ONE has anymore....

Fifth, the bathrooms and concessions are the same as they were 40 years ago. Sixth, and very important, its a horrendous design. The stadium holds 60,000 people, and because of the design almost half the seats are so far away from the field you can't tell who has the ball.

Oh yeah, and the area around the stadium is a cesspool. Don't bring valuables. Heck, don't bring yourself. It's a dump for fans.
Last edited by Show Me on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

No. Wrong again.

First, the stadium is not on campus. Second, its on the old Fairgrounds, which is nothing more than a giant empty parking lot in the middle of a giant empty parking lot. Third, the stadium is old and every "renovation" has simply been redoing the press boxes and repainting. Fourth, they have backless bench seats, which NO ONE has anymore....

Fifth, the bathrooms and concessions are the same as they were 40 years ago. Sixth, and very important, its a horrendous design. The stadium holds 60,000 people, and because of the design almost half the seats are so far away from the field you can't tell who has the ball.

Oh yeah, and the area around the stadium is a cesspool. Don't bring valuables. Heck, don't bring yourself. It's a dump for fans.
Yada yada yada. Which university's athletic department is being mentioned as a candidate for the Big 12?

Case closed.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

No. Wrong again.

Yada yada yada. Which university's athletic department is being mentioned as a candidate for the Big 12?

Case closed.
Nah! Memphis has about much chance to get in the Big 12 as Donald Trump has at being our next President.
ROLL WAVE!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Green Wave wrote: Nah! Memphis has about much chance to get in the Big 12 as Donald Trump has at being our next President.
Yeah, and Tulane has about as much chance to get in the Big 12 as Sarah Palin does of being our next President. Quite a coincidence: she isn't running, and we're not trying. Wins and losses and size of fan base are VERY important. Tulane being in New Orleans only goes so far. Academically, we used to have a whole lot more to hang our hats on (thank you Scott Cowen for failing us there, too). There are other Universities with more competitive Athletics programs (and thus bigger fan bases) than Tulane that are right there academically

Had Tulane made a commitment to winning and being attractive to a P6 when Scott Cowen took over, we'd be in a power conference now. But the FAILURE he created instead, aka the "Tulane Model," has put us so far behind that it's unlikely we'll ever be in a power conference, unless the AAC can pull itself up and back into the "haves" side of the equation (and do so without inviting Tulane to leave.)

Wins and losses matter. To say they don't is to admit we're not trying. That's why Rick Dickson needs to go and not let the door hit his buttocks on the way out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Green Wave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Green Wave wrote: Nah! Memphis has about much chance to get in the Big 12 as Donald Trump has at being our next President.
Yeah, and Tulane has about as much chance to get in the Big 12 as Sarah Palin does of being our next President. Quite a coincidence: she isn't running, and we're not trying. Wins and losses and size of fan base are VERY important. Tulane being in New Orleans only goes so far. Academically, we used to have a whole lot more to hang our hats on (thank you Scott Cowen for failing us there, too). There are other Universities with more competitive Athletics programs (and thus bigger fan bases) than Tulane that are right there academically

Had Tulane made a commitment to winning and being attractive to a P6 when Scott Cowen took over, we'd be in a power conference now. But the FAILURE he created instead, aka the "Tulane Model," has put us so far behind that it's unlikely we'll ever be in a power conference, unless the AAC can pull itself up and back into the "haves" side of the equation (and do so without inviting Tulane to leave.)

Wins and losses matter. To say they don't is to admit we're not trying. That's why Rick Dickson needs to go and not let the door hit his buttocks on the way out.
Hey man I am not refuting Tulane's chances I am just refuting State's chances.

BTW:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/
In case you have missed memo after memo after memo and… well, you get the idea, the Big 12 is not looking to expand its conference to get to 12 member institutions. At least, not anytime in the foreseeable future.
ROLL WAVE!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Green Wave wrote:

BTW:

In case you have missed memo after memo after memo and… well, you get the idea, the Big 12 is not looking to expand its conference to get to 12 member institutions. At least, not anytime in the foreseeable future.
I didn't miss the memo. I also saw where they told BYU to hit the bricks as well. All I'm saying is Memphis has a better chance than Tulane does of getting into the Big 12. Why? Because wins and losses matter. Being in New Orleans only goes so far.
Green Wave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

BTW:

I didn't miss the memo. I also saw where they told BYU to hit the bricks as well. All I'm saying is Memphis has a better chance than Tulane does of getting into the Big 12. Why? Because wins and losses matter. Being in New Orleans only goes so far.
Nah! Memphis has no academics to port them into a league with Texas. None.

They don't have the football signature either.

Your info is devoid of the American experience. IE: With no on the field prowess, Tulane managed to promote themselves into the American!

Thanks for playing! :mrgreen:
ROLL WAVE!
ajcalhoun
Swell

Green Wave wrote:
That is really annoying. Say it one more time and you will join my rapidly expanding Foe List.
God Bless Everyone!
Green Wave
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
That is really annoying. Say it one more time and you will join my rapidly expanding Foe List.
OOPs!

What can I say!,

BTW:

I missed your most annoying poster list. I am still mad about that! ;)
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
You know that's the problem right there.

Fed up Green Wave fans are being judged as "most annoying" but this athletic department plant might join your "foe" list.

Here's someone who is literally profiting off your misery and then coming here and anonymously twisting the knife in reminding you that the Tulane/Cowen/Dickson version of reality will continue on indefinitely as will their paychecks so thanks for playing. Regardless of the reality that everyone else lives in. He's calling us all suckers to our faces and we collectively do nothing.

It's infuriating.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
You know that's the problem right there.

Fed up Green Wave fans are being judged as "most annoying" but this athletic department plant might join your "foe" list.

Here's someone who is literally profiting off your misery and then coming here and anonymously twisting the knife in reminding you that the Tulane/Cowen/Dickson version of reality will continue on indefinitely as will their paychecks so thanks for playing. Regardless of the reality that everyone else lives in. He's calling us all suckers to our faces and we collectively do nothing.

It's infuriating.
You keep saying that I am a plant.

After a thousand times or so you might begin to believe it yourself! :mrgreen:

Here it comes JJ.

JJ you are a paranoid delusional hack! :mrgreen:
ROLL WAVE!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Green Wave wrote: JJ you are a paranoid delusional hack! :mrgreen:
Paranoid and delusional are two very good adjectives to describe the senior leadership of Tulane's Athletics Department. They're paranoid that those of us that really care might stir up enough interest that the (majority of mostly apathetic) alumni might sit up and take notice of the fact that Tulane has left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table because of the (failed) Tulane Model that Cowen and Dickson shoved down our throats. They're delusional because they think they've done a good job, or that, in Green Wave's words, their management style deserves a grade of B.

Wins and losses matter. It's why score is kept. We've lost a whole lot more than we've won under this leadership. Which is why the Rick Dickson Athletics Department has FAILED miserably. We're a whole lot closer to being a FCS school than we are to getting a P5 invite. That couldn't be said in the wake of Dr. Kevin White or Sandy Barbour. Rick Dickson's legacy might not be Yulman, it SHOULD be the losses, which are considerable.

Has any other University compiled a worse record in the three revenue sports in the same timeframe as Rick Dickson's tenure at Tulane? If so, how many AD's have they had in that time? Only at Tulane can someone have so little success and continue to cash paychecks.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
Green Wave wrote: JJ you are a paranoid delusional hack! :mrgreen:
Paranoid and delusional are two very good adjectives to describe the senior leadership of Tulane's Athletics Department. They're paranoid that those of us that really care might stir up enough interest that the (majority of mostly apathetic) alumni might sit up and take notice of the fact that Tulane has left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table because of the (failed) Tulane Model that Cowen and Dickson shoved down our throats. They're delusional because they think they've done a good job, or that, in Green Wave's words, their management style deserves a grade of B.

Wins and losses matter. It's why score is kept. We've lost a whole lot more than we've won under this leadership. Which is why the Rick Dickson Athletics Department has FAILED miserably. We're a whole lot closer to being a FCS school than we are to getting a P5 invite. That couldn't be said in the wake of Dr. Kevin White or Sandy Barbour. Rick Dickson's legacy might not be Yulman, it SHOULD be the losses, which are considerable.

Has any other University compiled a worse record in the three revenue sports in the same timeframe as Rick Dickson's tenure at Tulane? If so, how many AD's have they had in that time? Only at Tulane can someone have so little success and continue to cash paychecks.

One would think The Advocate would be picking up the torch and lighting the way for the BIG XII to expand to New Orleans. Reading other sports sections all across the country virtually all hype the local team, build them up, encourage their athletes and coaches and encourage the local citizenry to back the teams by purchasing seats. Is the Advocate so tied to Red Stick that it does not want to enhance Tulane's athletic prowess and status?

By the way, great post DCT.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

not sure if this link is already posted....a very telling "poll" at the end of the article

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/7/1 ... never-dies
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:not sure if this link is already posted....a very telling "poll" at the end of the article

Wow that poll was sure a surprise. I wouldn't have believed it. Thanks.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

I have been attending Tulane athletic events for 65 years. The few Tulane events that I attended and enjoyed over that time period was our two College World Series trips to Omaha, our 12-0 football season, a few wins over LSU in football in old TU stadium and the Superdome and the first few seasons,the Posse and NCAA appearances, by Perry Clark. That is it for 65 years Very sad!
Bigschtick
Riptide

This big twelve talk is getting real old. We are lucky if we don't get the boot back to CUSA.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:not sure if this link is already posted....a very telling "poll" at the end of the article

I would think that poll reflects two things regarding us: 1)others realize the "natural" resources we bring to the table as far as market and city and academics, and/or 2)they figure Texas and Oklahoma would want to add a bottom feeder to balance things out.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I would think that poll reflects two things regarding us: 1)others realize the "natural" resources we bring to the table as far as market and city and academics, and/or 2)they figure Texas and Oklahoma would want to add a bottom feeder to balance things out.
At present...Texas and Oklahoma are near the bottom..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
threeputt
High Tide

I have always been a little hesitant with all the big 12 talk. In fact I never really believed it to be true. But after spending the last few days in Oklahoma and listening to sports talk radio during the big 12 media days, I will say two things:

1) the big 12 will be expanding - sooner rather than later
2) Tulane is firmly in the mix.

I was shocked that I continued to hear Tulane being mentioned as an expansion possibility.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

threeputt wrote:I have always been a little hesitant with all the big 12 talk. In fact I never really believed it to be true. But after spending the last few days in Oklahoma and listening to sports talk radio during the big 12 media days, I will say two things:

I was shocked that I continued to hear Tulane being mentioned as an expansion possibility.
Why? Tulane's collective natural resources (TV market, recruiting ground, only SEC present, AAU status, international airport, entertainment infrastructure) are among the most desirable in all of college football. If we only had a competent athletic program or the requisite facilities, we'd have been in long ago.

The that you are "shocked" that Tulane is mentioned is a prime example of what I refer to as Stockholm Syndrome.

Since all we need is a competent athletic program and that inclusion is worth over a billion dollars to the university (and there is nothing that could be more financially or otherwise accretive to the university, including any academic pursuit or accomplishment), someone needs to remind me why everyone is more concerned with hurting Cowen and Dickson's feelings than Tulane realizing a billion dollar opportunity.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
threeputt wrote:I have always been a little hesitant with all the big 12 talk. In fact I never really believed it to be true. But after spending the last few days in Oklahoma and listening to sports talk radio during the big 12 media days, I will say two things:

Why? Tulane's collective natural resources (TV market, recruiting ground, only SEC present, AAU status, international airport, entertainment infrastructure) are among the most desirable in all of college football. If we only had a competent athletic program or the requisite facilities, we'd have been in long ago.

The that you are "shocked" that Tulane is mentioned is a prime example of what I refer to as Stockholm Syndrome.

Since all we need is a competent athletic program and that inclusion is worth over a billion dollars to the university (and there is nothing that could be more financially or otherwise accretive to the university, including any academic pursuit or accomplishment), someone needs to remind me why everyone is more concerned with hurting Cowen and Dickson's feelings than Tulane realizing a billion dollar opportunity.
AAU Status....Check
NIELSEN TV RANKINGS .... UCF-13 ...USF-18...Cincy-38...Memphis-50...Tulane-51....Texas-San Anotnio- 33.....ULaLaf-141
NOLA AIRPORT...One of the worse in the country...and I have flown all over the USA
Entertainment....It's there, if you can survive the evening
Recruiting... Check
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

We are in the mix if the reports from 2011 were true and, by the way, they were oh so true. All tulane has done is move up and invest since then. Gotta think like a college president, and long term, was the mantra.

There HAS to be someone lurking on here who had the inside story back then. I remember everyone dissed it, including the local press, and then BAM it all came out right on target within two weeks. methinks this will be speculation until the Big 12 committee(s) decide and then it'll start leaking out in TX and OK.