Winning programs go to Bowl Games! Why not Tulane?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Eaglewave
Swell

I am once again begging for another 2013 (Bowl Friendly) type schedule in 2015. We are not serious about winning at Tulane, so why even bother playing big name opponents? Programs serious about winning don't sit at home. We actually had fans b_tching about playing in the NOLA Bowl last season! Hell, Texas is playing in the d_mn Texas Bowl this year! Are they excited about it? No. Are they proud of it? No. Do they need the money? No. However, they understand that no matter what happens, Texas needs to be seen on national television in the post season winning a bowl game for the sake of having a winning season and attracting recruits.

Virginia Tech- Military Bowl?;
Washington- Cactus Bowl?
Stanford- Foster Farms Bowl?
Florida- Birmingham Bowl?
Penn State- Pinstripe Bowl?
#13 Georgia- Belk Bowl?

I would rather watch us play against Old Dominion in the Bud's Broiler Bowl at Tad Gormley Stadium over sitting at home watching Toledo vs Arkansas State in the Godaddy.com Bowl. It's sickening how ULL (NOLA Bowl), La Tech (Dallas Bowl) and #23 LSU (Music City Bowl) all understand the importance of playing in Bowl Games and we just don't get it. We aren't serious about big time football! Why should we suffer as fans watching these kids get their heads kicked in by Big Ten and ACC programs who want to compete for a national title? Kids like Darion Monroe came to this program believing that we were serious about being a winning program. So far, we only have a 7-6 season to show for the State of Tulane and a head coach who believes that his offensive line coach, defensive line coach, offensive coordinator, and QB coach are worth paying and believing in! These guys haven't shown us a d_mn thing! McDonell has sucked for 3 years! Price only knows how to have 1 good coaching game per season. Drake doesn't know how to spell NFL techniques! Most of all, CJ doesn't have what it takes to fire coaches who aren't helping him win. He looks lost!

Ball Sumrall!
wave97
Swell

How can you be a Tulane fan and not be apathetic about the prospects of the Football Team? I am well into mid-life and not much has changed among the academic & athletic administration since a decade or two before I was born.
BTW: Old Dominion would more than likely eviscerate us in a bowl game match up. ODU is very well coached on offense and their defense is starting to show signs of improvement. Taylor Heinicke, their efficient but immobile QB is graduating and will be replaced with a highly mobile sophomore with wheels & an arm. We have better players than ODU, but they would still soundly defeat us IMO.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Too many bowl games. Way too many. It's hard to understand how they stay in business. And when you have that many then the significance of just making it to a bowl game is of course reduced.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Jonathan
Riptide

Because our team,coaching staff and AD suck big time. Nothing new but coach paid over a million dollars for this losing embarrassment.
Eaglewave
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:Too many bowl games. Way too many. It's hard to understand how they stay in business. And when you have that many then the significance of just making it to a bowl game is of course reduced.
Yes, there are way too many bowl games, but playing in the Crabby Jacks Bowl is better than sitting at home praying that CJ will grow a pair and fire a few of his staff members.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:I am once again begging for another 2013 (Bowl Friendly) type schedule in 2015. We are not serious about winning at Tulane, so why even bother playing big name opponents? Programs serious about winning don't sit at home. We actually had fans b_tching about playing in the NOLA Bowl last season! Hell, Texas is playing in the d_mn Texas Bowl this year! Are they excited about it? No. Are they proud of it? No. Do they need the money? No. However, they understand that no matter what happens, Texas needs to be seen on national television in the post season winning a bowl game for the sake of having a winning season and attracting recruits.

Virginia Tech- Military Bowl?;
Washington- Cactus Bowl?
Stanford- Foster Farms Bowl?
Florida- Birmingham Bowl?
Penn State- Pinstripe Bowl?
#13 Georgia- Belk Bowl?

I would rather watch us play against Old Dominion in the Bud's Broiler Bowl at Tad Gormley Stadium over sitting at home watching Toledo vs Arkansas State in the Godaddy.com Bowl. It's sickening how ULL (NOLA Bowl), La Tech (Dallas Bowl) and #23 LSU (Music City Bowl) all understand the importance of playing in Bowl Games and we just don't get it. We aren't serious about big time football! Why should we suffer as fans watching these kids get their heads kicked in by Big Ten and ACC programs who want to compete for a national title? Kids like Darion Monroe came to this program believing that we were serious about being a winning program. So far, we only have a 7-6 season to show for the State of Tulane and a head coach who believes that his offensive line coach, defensive line coach, offensive coordinator, and QB coach are worth paying and believing in! These guys haven't shown us a d_mn thing! McDonell has sucked for 3 years! Price only knows how to have 1 good coaching game per season. Drake doesn't know how to spell NFL techniques! Most of all, CJ doesn't have what it takes to fire coaches who aren't helping him win. He looks lost!

Bud's Broiler Bowl! Lol!!!!

I do agree that we should be watching our Green Wave in a bowl game every year and should schedule at least 2 teams that we can pencil in a win against. Example, if you start out the season playing SLU and Georgia State, you put pressure on your coaching staff and players to find a way to win 4 more games. The intensity is much different on the side lines when everyone knows that "we can go become bowl eligible if we win the next _______ amount of games."

I must say, I am holding on to the CJ bandwagon as well. I love to give people the benefit of the doubt and a fair chance to prove themselves, but CJ needs to make some changes to his staff. The Price brothers are not good and need to go. They are ruining QB's and the offensive game. We have too much speed on the field to not average at least 3 TD's a game.

Anyway, I will sit back and watch the bowl parade pass us by again. Say what you want about the New Orleans Bowl, but it was great to see our Green Wave taking the field on ESPN in the post season.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Anyway, I will sit back and watch the bowl parade pass us by again. Say what you want about the New Orleans Bowl, but it was great to see our Green Wave taking the field on ESPN in the post season.
And, thank God the kickoff wasn't at 10:00 a.m. for last year's N.O. Bowl, a 10:00 a.m. kickoff is more of a punishment rather than reward for a good season! ;)
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:Too many bowl games. Way too many. It's hard to understand how they stay in business. And when you have that many then the significance of just making it to a bowl game is of course reduced.
Because they are basically crooks running a ponzy scheme. They are literally fictitious charities having a tax free party.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Because Tulane is not a winning program, and they are quite pleased with themselves about it. In fact, consistent winning would embarrass them (took them 5 seconds to dismantle 1998). Winning consistently would mean that they are no better than the rest of the great unwashed. And without them to sneer at, how could they possibly continue their elitist, Gruber-esque charade? Can't fall back on academic rankings anymore can they?

When "wins and losses don't matter" because you're above all that nonsense, and you are playing teams each and every week for whom wins and losses do matter, you will necessarily bring home more losses than wins.

What have we heard out of Tulane after a 3-9 season? Tulane's football program is exactly what they want it to be.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote: Anyway, I will sit back and watch the bowl parade pass us by again. Say what you want about the New Orleans Bowl, but it was great to see our Green Wave taking the field on ESPN in the post season.
And, thank God the kickoff wasn't at 10:00 a.m. for last year's N.O. Bowl, a 10:00 a.m. kickoff is more of a punishment rather than reward for a good season! ;)
Hey, it beats being 3-9 and sitting at home watching everyone else.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Think I would rather sleep-in, the 10:00 a.m. CST Kickoff, 8:00 a.m. PST, is an insult to both teams and their fans. :roll:
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Think I would rather sleep-in, the 10:00 a.m. CST Kickoff, 8:00 a.m. PST, is an insult to both teams and their fans. :roll:

Going 3-9 is an insult to both teams and it's fans. I don't care if the game is scheduled for 9:00am! It's a bowl game ans people will be watching!
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Going 3-9 is an insult to both teams and it's fans. I don't care if the game is scheduled for 9:00am! It's a bowl game ans people will be watching!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Show Me
Tsunami

That's the first bowl game of the bowl season. It's bad for New Orleans as well. The TV audience won't be good and I'd bet many of the Cajun fans will skip it this year.
Jonathan
Riptide

Because our team and coaching staff including CJ suck. Same old Tulane for decades.
Eaglewave
Swell

Show Me wrote:That's the first bowl game of the bowl season. It's bad for New Orleans as well. The TV audience won't be good and I'd bet many of the Cajun fans will skip it this year.
The numbers won't be like last year, but they will be impressive. ULL fans love their team and playing in the NOLA Bowl. The game was early when they beat ECU in the NOLA Bowl.

There is no reason why we shouldn't be in a bowl game every year.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
Show Me wrote:That's the first bowl game of the bowl season. It's bad for New Orleans as well. The TV audience won't be good and I'd bet many of the Cajun fans will skip it this year.
The numbers won't be like last year, the they will be impressive. ULL fans love their team and playing in the NOLA Bowl. The game was early when they beat ECU in the NOLA Bowl.

There is no reason why we shouldn't be in a bowl game every year.
I wouldn't say "every year" only because it is not all that easy to accomplish this at a school with our academic standards. If CJ was to goes to a bowl game for the next 2 years with a 6-6 record, then folks will still call for his job. Becoming bowl eligible isn't good enough in this era due to the many bowl games. Some coaches get fired for going to bowl games with too many 6 and 7 win seasons.

CJ needs to find a new offensive coordinator who is going to make our offensive explosive and exciting. An explosion offense sells tickets as well.
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote:
The numbers won't be like last year, the they will be impressive. ULL fans love their team and playing in the NOLA Bowl.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JTLiuzza
Swell

Wave QB wrote:I wouldn't say "every year" only because it is not all that easy to accomplish this at a school with our academic standards.
What academic standards? Tulane isn't even top 50 and we could all list the schools that are better than Tulane and actually manage to field decent football teams.

The Tulane snot nosed elitism is obnoxious and embarrassing. Maybe Tulane should actually accomplish something, ANYTHING, before they presume to pretend like they're better than everyone else.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Eaglewave
Swell

JTLiuzza wrote:
Wave QB wrote:I wouldn't say "every year" only because it is not all that easy to accomplish this at a school with our academic standards.
What academic standards? Tulane isn't even top 50 and we could all list the schools that are better than Tulane and actually manage to field decent football teams.

The Tulane snot nosed elitism is obnoxious and embarrassing. Maybe Tulane should actually accomplish something, ANYTHING, before they presume to pretend like they're better than everyone else.

Lol! You are so very right.

We wouldn't be in NOLA without the snotty nosed elitism believing that we are the Ivy League of the south from Tulane, UNO, Xavier and Dillard. Those other 4 year NOLA schools have had football at some time in history, but were brained washed by folks Baton Rouge to believe that they should drop football and leave it up to LSU. Even Delgado has a few alums who think their JUCO is above other Community Colleges housing football. It's amazing. Lol.

Tulane is located in New Orleans! We are loaded with talent in this city Their is no reason why we shouldn't be able to get in a Armed Forces caliber bowl ever year. I am shocked with the amount of fans who are fine with missing the college bowl season and downplay certain bowl games.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:

We wouldn't be in NOLA without the snotty nosed elitism believing that we are the Ivy League of the south from Tulane, UNO, Xavier and Dillard. Those other 4 year NOLA schools have had football at some time in history, but were brained washed by folks Baton Rouge to believe that they should drop football and leave it up to LSU. Even Delgado has a few alums who think their JUCO is above other Community Colleges housing football. It's amazing. Lol.

Tulane is located in New Orleans! We are loaded with talent in this city Their is no reason why we shouldn't be able to get in a Armed Forces caliber bowl ever year. I am shocked with the amount of fans who are fine with missing the college bowl season and downplay certain bowl games.
And, for 2015 USN&WR again ranks ULALA among the academic dregs of higher education! :D :) ;)
Jonathan
Riptide

Yes U La La is a lowly tier 2 academic school as per US News and World Report. Only Tulane ranked 51 in the nation and much lower ranked LSU A&M and Louisiana Tech are the only tier 1 universities in Louisiana.
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:

It would be cool to see what type of team Delgado would have in football. I really think a JUCO football team in NOLA would dominate the JUCO ranks. I would believe that Xavier and Dillard could play in NAIA ranks. After watching UNO's club football team win a the national championship a few years back, their is no doubt in my mind that they would be fine in the Southland. I really hope they get their program together.

I also agree that we should aim to play in a bowl every year.
oliveandblue
Surge

Tulane's USNWR ranking has been hovering in the the 48-55 range (it's 53 right now?) for almost a decade. It's not a bad ranking at all - but it's not so good where it can be used as an excuse for pitiful teams.

I understand if Tulane has academic requirements that the other AAC schools don't have. Most of our fanbase asks for 6-8 wins per year. That's possible even with the current standards in place.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:

????

What are you getting this?

Xavier and Dillard are private. No reason for them to have to follow any orders from B.R.

UNO...well, are you saying that they used to be a Div. 1 football program and then stopped? If so then that must have been a really long time ago. As far as I can remember they have not had a football team.

I don't believe that there's ever been any football at Delgado, either (which has been under state/LCTCS control only in relatively recent times). Delgado for its part can say this, though, that may make for some differentiation between it and the other community colleges: the list of New Orleans area coaches of just about any team in any sport at any level -- and even at the professional level -- and throughout the whole history of New Orleans sports who have had greater overall success than the Scheuermanns (Rags and Joe) have had at Delgado is not a long one.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.