Get your questions ready

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
MicMan
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:Look...in 1987 TU had Terence Jones and Marc Zeno and even Richard Harvey on defense (and then Mack Brown as head coach)...but could only manage to post a 6-win season. Is the overall talent comparable or better now? Probably not.
Terrence Jones was a bona fide Heisman candidate in 1987, so to answer your question, no. Actually, Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross finished third in the voting, for what that's worth. I would take Mike McKay, Paul Catanese and Wade Elmore over anyone we've got right now. And Nickie Hall was better than those three.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:Look...in 1987 TU had Terence Jones and Marc Zeno and even Richard Harvey on defense (and then Mack Brown as head coach)...but could only manage to post a 6-win season. Is the overall talent comparable or better now? Probably not.
Terrence Jones was a bona fide Heisman candidate in 1987, so to answer your question, no. Actually, Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross finished third in the voting, for what that's worth. I would take Mike McKay, Paul Catanese and Wade Elmore over anyone we've got right now. And Nickie Hall was better than those three.
whoa...Nickie "long ball" Hall .... how 'bout Deron Smith
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

Until he hurt his knee, Hall to Robert Griffin was money. Rodney Holman was on those teams, Don Maggs up front. Jerry Baker, Lionel Washington, Frank Robinson on D. Can't tell who the tight ends are now, they're invisible. Jerry Baker was a 330-pound nose tackle who could dunk. Several guys went on to the CFL. Actual pro level players. Smart football players who rarely beat themselves. Even George freaking Geishauser got a pro tryout.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
MicMan wrote:
I liked Deron Smith a lot. Though, as far as a case of a team having talent and seeming being able to do better than they were doing, I would say that those years when he played fit that bill. Should have beaten LSU in B.R. in 1990, dang it. That one still hurts.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Fred Dowler wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
MicMan wrote:
I liked Deron Smith a lot. Though, as far as a case of a team having talent and seeming being able to do better than they were doing, I would say that those years when he played fit that bill. Should have beaten LSU in B.R. in 1990, dang it. That one still hurts.
I agree about the LSU game....LSU could not handle the bounce play all nite...Tulane gets down deep with a little time left, and Tulane never goes to a play that has worked all nite long, even when LSU knew it was coming...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetrader
Low Tide

That 1987 Mack Brown team with 6 wins included games against Florida State with Deion Sanders and Sammie Smith, LSU with Harvey Williams and Sammy Martin, USM with Brett Favre, Louisville with Teddy Washington, Ole Miss and Miss State, Vanderbilt, K State, Iowa State, and Virginia Tech. It went on to play the Washington Huskies (led by Chris Chandler) in the Independence Bowl Of course that team had better talent than our current lot. Tulane played a legit schedule back then and had talent and coaching to back it up.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
OGSB
Swell

I don't think Va Tech qualified as big time yet back then. Tulane won 57-38 and it didn't raise any eyebrows. FSU beat is by 59. 3 of the wins were against SEC teams though.
Livin' rent free
Fred Dowler
Riptide

OGSB wrote:I don't think Va Tech qualified as big time yet back then. Tulane won 57-38 and it didn't raise any eyebrows. FSU beat is by 59. 3 of the wins were against SEC teams though.
The Hokies went 2-9 in 1987 and were, just like TU and several others, an independent in football but a member of the Metro conference in the other sports.

TU played only two teams in that 1987 regular season schedule that ended up winning more than 6 games, Florida St. and of course LSU. Ole Miss had a 3-win season and State had a 4-win season.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Jonathan
Riptide

Sorry but Rick Dickson,Conroy and CJ need to be fired. Will not renew my tickets next year with major TAF donation until all three are gone. Tulane football and basketball suck big time. Rick Dickson and Tulane is paying CJ. $1.5 million a year for this crappy team!
Wavetime
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:
OGSB wrote:I don't think Va Tech qualified as big time yet back then. Tulane won 57-38 and it didn't raise any eyebrows. FSU beat is by 59. 3 of the wins were against SEC teams though.
The Hokies went 2-9 in 1987 and were, just like TU and several others, an independent in football but a member of the Metro conference in the other sports.

TU played only two teams in that 1987 regular season schedule that ended up winning more than 6 games, Florida St. and of course LSU. Ole Miss had a 3-win season and State had a 4-win season.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but didn't the Metro consider football and Louisville and Howard Schnellenberger show their colors and boycott or something. If I remember we had, Louisville, Florida St., South Carolina, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Memphis and us for football? What a conference. We would be a top football conference right now.
Wavetime
Swell

Wavetime wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but didn't the Metro consider football and Louisville and Howard Schnellenberger show their colors and boycott or something. If I remember we had, Louisville, Florida St., South Carolina, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Memphis and us for football? What a conference. We would be a top football conference right now.
It was Ga. Tech not West Virginia. USM was also in the conference and South Florida later joined.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Virginia Tech was in it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

UL had a sweetheart basketball deal. They were terrible in football and the Metro wanted to restructure their deal if it was to be an all sport conf including football. UL objected, threatened to leave so the idea was scrapped. The Metro was a heck of a conference in it's day.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981