Potential Offensive Coordinator Candidates

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wave to em
Surge

I looked through a few different guys that I think we could get. I have 4 I really like, and I like them in this order,

Jay Johnson- OC at ULL
Sterlin Gilbert- OC at Bowling Green
Jason Candle- OC at Toledo
Kevin Brown- OC at UTSA

All of these guys run aggressive type offenses that put up points. I would love to see any one of these guys work with the young talent we have on offense here.
Thoughts?
Who would you like to see as the OC at TU?

CuJo.
#SickEmWave
JerseyWave
Riptide

I wonder if there is someone in the Saints organization? Like Mike Neu. I want to see Tulane put up big bucks for a quality coordinator. If CJ is making $1.5 mil then pay the coordinator $1.0 mil.
Dave breslin
Swell

A few OC s that I think could coach better that come to mind. Bozo. Howdy doody. Joan rivers. Hap Glaudi. And Miss Jenny from rompers room. Erckel (? Spelling-- but I think he's our current head coach). Scott Cowen - he saved NO. Edsel Ford. Any drunk saints fan. Hellen Keller. Amy Fisher. And Jerry Springer I threw that one in to please the alumni.

(?
sader24
Tsunami

Lorena Bobbitt.
GreenLantern
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Lorena Bobbitt.
HAHAHAHAHA
msdos
Swell

your 2015 OC will 100% be Eric Price

same as your 2015 AD and 2015 hoops coach

aint nothing changing
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Todd Dodge....ex HC @ North Texas ...currently the HC at Westlake Hi School here in Austin

Hal Mumme... ex HC at Valdosta State, Kentucky, and SELA...currently at SMU .. he is also the person who taught the "Spread" to Mike Leach while he was the HC at Valdosta State and Leach was on his Staff

I would add Sonny Cumby, but why the hell would he leave TCU for Tulane !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

TPS would make his protege Lee THE MAN.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Dave breslin
Swell

Sader, did you know that Loran a Bobbitt took his severed penis and drove away, throwing it out of her window? Did you know that 2 rednecks were driving the opposite way and it hit there windshield. One said "did you see that bug? The other one said "did you see the Dick on that bug?"
dpm wave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:TPS would make his protege Lee THE MAN.
David Lee would be a great option. It would interesting to see if he would leave NY to return to the South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lee_ ... all_coach)

Wow, Pete. I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about good offensive minds.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dpm wave wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:TPS would make his protege Lee THE MAN.
David Lee would be a great option. It would interesting to see if he would leave NY to return to the South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lee_ ... all_coach)

Wow, Pete. I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about good offensive minds.
He's a troll, I put him on ignore so I don't have to waste time reading his BS.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Frank Cignetti, Jr

He has ties to New Orleans, and should be familiar to CJ. I think he should be brought in as O coordinator and Associate Head Coach.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

I don't know how true this is, but I was told that CJ considered hiring Mark Burnell as our OC but was asked to hire Price by a higher power. If this is true, it's sad because I really think Burnell would have done a better job at this point with his first hand knowledge of the Saints playbook. Maybe CJ should call him up. The last I heard of Burnell was that he turned around a struggling high school team.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote:I don't know how true this is, but I was told that CJ considered hiring Mark Burnell as our OC but was asked to hire Price by a higher power. If this is true, it's sad because I really think Burnell would have done a better job at this point with his first hand knowledge of the Saints playbook. Maybe CJ should call him up. The last I heard of Burnell was that he turned around a struggling high school team.

after this season, I hope we never hear another "Saints Offense" expression used at Tulane.... Tulane..get your head outta your azz and get a mobile QB that can put pressure on a "D" and make some plays with his feet not just his arm...but then again we have a QB that can't make plays with his arm...oh well...lifes a bitch and we have CJ and the Price Bros.... ya pay for a Yugo, U sure as hell ain't gonna get a Porsche or even a Ford Pinto !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TU23
High Tide

We don't necessarily need a QB who can run, but we could easily run an air raid type offense like WVU/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Oklahoma State/Washington State. Each of those teams tailors the system to their particular personnel. Texas A&M ran a lot with their QB when it was Kenny Hill but they don't with Kyle Allen. Same with Oklahoma State with Brandon Weeden versus JW Walsh. Texas Tech has had several QBs over the years who couldn't run, but they still put up a ton of yardage. Leach is doing the same thing at Washington State.

To that end, I think one up and coming name who will be thought of the same way as Kliff Kingsbury and Sonny Cumby are now is Graham Harrell. He is coaching with Mike Leach at Washington State. You can say that he has little coaching experience and that is true, but he's got an incredible command of the air raid offense and could come in right away and inject some life into our offense. We could bring in a re-tread and continue to get re-tread like results, or we can take a chance on a young, up and coming coach and hit the jackpot.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TU23 wrote:We don't necessarily need a QB who can run, but we could easily run an air raid type offense like WVU/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Oklahoma State/Washington State. Each of those teams tailors the system to their particular personnel. Texas A&M ran a lot with their QB when it was Kenny Hill but they don't with Kyle Allen. Same with Oklahoma State with Brandon Weeden versus JW Walsh. Texas Tech has had several QBs over the years who couldn't run, but they still put up a ton of yardage. Leach is doing the same thing at Washington State.

To that end, I think one up and coming name who will be thought of the same way as Kliff Kingsbury and Sonny Cumby are now is Graham Harrell. He is coaching with Mike Leach at Washington State. You can say that he has little coaching experience and that is true, but he's got an incredible command of the air raid offense and could come in right away and inject some life into our offense. We could bring in a re-tread and continue to get re-tread like results, or we can take a chance on a young, up and coming coach and hit the jackpot.
The main reason I offered Todd Dodge and Hal Mumme were their previous Head Coaching experience to offset CJ's lack of game day managment
wave97
Swell

TU23 wrote:We don't necessarily need a QB who can run, but we could easily run an air raid type offense like WVU/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Oklahoma State/Washington State. Each of those teams tailors the system to their particular personnel. Texas A&M ran a lot with their QB when it was Kenny Hill but they don't with Kyle Allen. Same with Oklahoma State with Brandon Weeden versus JW Walsh. Texas Tech has had several QBs over the years who couldn't run, but they still put up a ton of yardage. Leach is doing the same thing at Washington State.

I like the idea of going after young talented coaches but Graham Harrell is in his first year of coaching anywhere at Wazzu. CJ has a big decision coming up in December that his future as a head coach depends on. He needs to bring in a truly creative mind at OC and listen to the OC for recommendations on position coaches.
So help me God, if I hear one more reference about the NFL coming out of CJ's mouth I will throw up. Thou doth protest too much about the NFL - it reveals a fundamental weakness.
nawlinspete
Riptide

"...CJ has to make a big decision...."

Unless TrickyRicky is canned there will be nothing to decide. RickDick would never allow anyone to override his decisions.

Ricky is a micromanager of the worst ilk. Everyone hates working for micromanagers, even if they are competent.

Every decision he makes is wrong. Tulane will never be able to upgrade under his stupidity, and no one worth having will come to Tulane if Tricky is in any way associated with Tulane.

Idea: FIRE DICKSON.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:I don't know how true this is, but I was told that CJ considered hiring Mark Burnell as our OC but was asked to hire Price by a higher power. If this is true, it's sad because I really think Burnell would have done a better job at this point with his first hand knowledge of the Saints playbook. Maybe CJ should call him up. The last I heard of Burnell was that he turned around a struggling high school team.

after this season, I hope we never hear another "Saints Offense" expression used at Tulane.... Tulane..get your head outta your azz and get a mobile QB that can put pressure on a "D" and make some plays with his feet not just his arm...but then again we have a QB that can't make plays with his arm...oh well...lifes a bitch and we have CJ and the Price Bros.... ya pay for a Yugo, U sure as hell ain't gonna get a Porsche or even a Ford Pinto !!!!!

I think Burnell would be an upgrade from Price.
Ball Sumrall!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

So would Santa Claus. He'll be available December 26; I'm sure Ricky will give him serious consideration if President Fitts has not canned TrickyDicky by then.
Eaglewave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

So would Santa Claus. He'll be available December 26; I'm sure Ricky will give him serious consideration if President Fitts has not canned TrickyDicky by then.

Lol.
Ball Sumrall!
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

I'm thinking we end up keeping CJ because we can't afford to buy out his contract but force him to fire several on his staff. Who do we hire as OC?
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

LSU Law Greenie wrote:I'm thinking we end up keeping CJ because we can't afford to buy out his contract but force him to fire several on his staff. Who do we hire as OC?
The pool of coachs to choose from will be small....they will know that CJ is on a short leash and this will most probably be a "one and done" type of job
DrBox
Riptide

LSU Law Greenie wrote:I'm thinking we end up keeping CJ because we can't afford to buy out his contract but force him to fire several on his staff. Who do we hire as OC?
we can afford it.
This is a 2014 topic on several levels. Too late to change OCs.
Won't get a good on anyway with CJ on a one-year leash, and the issue really isn't the OC. It's the Offensive System.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
The pool of coachs to choose from will be small....they will know that CJ is on a short leash and this will most probably be a "one and done" type of job
Well, before having any serious dicussions about OCs, we need to know how much Tulane is willing to spend on coaches, since that is the most important variable that we don't know. Once we know that, we can really come up with good potential candidates.

Sure, we know CJ makes $1.2M, but it's unlikely that the Prices and Washington are making significant amounts of money, and it may be tough to get a good coordinator from a different school without either significant amounts of money or a promotion to HC.

I noticed that someone mentioned Bowling Greens OC - I doubt Bowling Greens OC is going to leave Bowling Green for the same job at Tulane - we would probably have to make him HC.