Tulane Redzone defense ranked #2 in the nation

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Only trails #1 Miss St.
@hullsports: #Tulane red zone defense ranks No. 2 in the nation after yesterday’s upset over #Houston. Only team w/ better efficiency? AP No. 1 Miss St.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wavefan03
Surge

Maybe because opponents run or throw right through the redzone.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

wavefan03 wrote:Maybe because opponents run or throw right through the redzone.
It really is sad, because that was my first thought as well. :roll:
Last edited by RobertM320 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglewave
Swell

Too bad we are 3-6.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:Too bad we are 3-6.
With several blow outs.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Green Wave
Swell

In nine games this year, the Tulane D has only allowed seven scores that bypassed the Red Zone and two of those were field goals.

1) Tulsa: Dane Evans passed to Keevan Lucas down the middle for 43 yard gain (Carl Salazar made PAT)

2) Tulsa: Dane Evans passed to Keevan Lucas down the middle for 84 yard gain (Carl Salazar made PAT)

3) Rutgers: Gary Nova passed to Andrew Turzilli down the middle for 93 yard gain (Kyle Federico made PAT)

4) UCF: Justin Holman passed to Breshad Perriman to the right for 45 yard gain (Shawn Moffitt made PAT)

5) Cincy: Munchie Legaux passed to Casey Gladney to the right for 54 yard gain (Andrew Gantz made PAT)

That stat seems legit to me.
ROLL WAVE!
JerseyWave
Riptide

Here's a legit stat, 3 wins, 6 losses. That's the only stat that matters!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Here's a legit stat, 3 wins, 6 losses. That's the only stat that matters!

a BIG AZZ plus one from me !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Robert1969
Riptide

Tulane also ranks 7th in the nation in forcing turnovers with 25, and seventh in the nation with 15 interceptions.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:Tulane also ranks 7th in the nation in forcing turnovers with 25, and seventh in the nation with 15 interceptions.
Figures do not lie, but liars figure.

The critical figures are: 3 WINS and 6 LOSSES.

Apparently tps and robert have joined the Rick Dickson chorus of 'we don't judge by wins and losses.' Shame on you for capitulating.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:Apparently tps and robert have joined the Rick Dickson chorus of 'we don't judge by wins and losses.' Shame on you for capitulating.
$5 Pete. Donate $5 or more to the air banner to fire Dickson and I'll believe you're sincere.
nawlinspete
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:Apparently tps and robert have joined the Rick Dickson chorus of 'we don't judge by wins and losses.' Shame on you for capitulating.
$5 Pete. Donate $5 or more to the air banner to fire Dickson and I'll believe you're sincere.
You are double posting same on two different threads. See my reply on "Air Banner" thread.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:You are double posting same on two different threads. See my reply on "Air Banner" thread.
I'm double posting? I'M DOUBLE POSTING???

Pete, you have the same message on every blasted topic: "Fire Rick Dickson".
Donate $5 to the air banner and I promise to never double post again.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Only trails #1 Miss St.
@hullsports: #Tulane red zone defense ranks No. 2 in the nation after yesterday’s upset over #Houston. Only team w/ better efficiency? AP No. 1 Miss St.

We've got better efficiency, but also take a look at how many more times opponents get inside our red zone.

Which is better, 50%, but they get there 40 times, meaning 20 scores, or 75% but the opponent only enters the redzone 24 times, which means 18 scores? More scores given up means more losses usually, especially the way our offense and special teams have struggled this season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:Tulane also ranks 7th in the nation in forcing turnovers with 25, and seventh in the nation with 15 interceptions.

Apparently tps and robert have joined the Rick Dickson chorus of 'we don't judge by wins and losses.' Shame on you for capitulating.
You're a loser Pete. I just posted something that may interest our real fans.
Of the 259 points surrendered, 44 (17%) were not given up by the defense - they were from interception returns, fumble returns/recovery in the end zone, a blocked punt and a snap (safety) over the punter's head. Take those points away and the defense is giving up 23.9 points/game, instead of the 28.8 that are charged to us.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:

You're a loser Pete. I just posted something that may interest our real fans.
Of the 259 points surrendered, 44 (17%) were not given up by the defense - they were from interception returns, fumble returns/recovery in the end zone, a blocked punt and a snap (safety) over the punter's head. Take those points away and the defense is giving up 23.9 points/game, instead of the 28.8 that are charged to us.
+1
The guy is nothing but a troll.
tufinal4
High Tide

I think the defensive stats are indicative of the building of a successful program. This is year 2, against better competition, and for the second year in a row we still have a solid, reliable defense. They play well enough for us to be in a position to win.

Our special teams earlier in the year are by far the biggest reason we are 3-6. Everyone knows that. They literally have cost us at least one (Tulsa) and possibly two (UCF) wins. We seem to finally be getting to where they aren't a liability anymore, but it's taken 2/3 of a season.

On offense, we've established a rock solid running game. We average 160 yards a game, and we don't run 65-70 plus percent of the time, our play calling is balanced. The issue has been the passing game; passing game turnovers literally took us out of the Georgia Tech game starting late in the 2nd quarter, and that was a ranked team. We finally, for only the second time this year (Tulsa was the first), had a solid passing game vs. Houston. Again, it has taken 2/3 of a season to get this turned around.

So, we clearly aren't far off from a much better result, it has been special teams and our turnover-prone passing game that have held us back. If you're building a program, and you had to pick two areas as bedrock solid, you'd probably pick defense and the running game. The other areas are indeed correctable. It is hard to argue with this, we are poised to be a much better team very soon, possibly the remainder of this season. If we are solid on special teams and in the passing game, we have a real shot to win out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another factor that plays into this stat that has been mentioned elsewhere is the fact of teams taking a knee at the end of games in the red zone. That's happened in three of our games.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tufinal4 wrote:I think the defensive stats are indicative of the building of a successful program. This is year 2, against better competition, and for the second year in a row we still have a solid, reliable defense. They play well enough for us to be in a position to win.

Our special teams earlier in the year are by far the biggest reason we are 3-6. Everyone knows that. They literally have cost us at least one (Tulsa) and possibly two (UCF) wins. We seem to finally be getting to where they aren't a liability anymore, but it's taken 2/3 of a season.

On offense, we've established a rock solid running game. We average 160 yards a game, and we don't run 65-70 plus percent of the time, our play calling is balanced. The issue has been the passing game; passing game turnovers literally took us out of the Georgia Tech game starting late in the 2nd quarter, and that was a ranked team. We finally, for only the second time this year (Tulsa was the first), had a solid passing game vs. Houston. Again, it has taken 2/3 of a season to get this turned around.

So, we clearly aren't far off from a much better result, it has been special teams and our turnover-prone passing game that have held us back. If you're building a program, and you had to pick two areas as bedrock solid, you'd probably pick defense and the running game. The other areas are indeed correctable. It is hard to argue with this, we are poised to be a much better team very soon, possibly the remainder of this season. If we are solid on special teams and in the passing game, we have a real shot to win out.
Good post. I would only add that our offensive redzone efficiency has been a huge factor as well. The play calling in the redzone has been crushing. I also think the lack of confidence in the kicking game has led to poor play calling choices and also resulted in players playing tight.
JDTulane
Riptide

wavefan03 wrote:Maybe because opponents run or throw right through the redzone.
My first thought! LOL too funny

:(
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Another factor that plays into this stat that has been mentioned elsewhere is the fact of teams taking a knee at the end of games in the red zone. That's happened in three of our games.
Right. As in this thread should be left alone.
Robert1969
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:
Oh lord. Finding some bright spots on this team doesn't mean you don't value wins and losses even more.

The fact is there are some things this team is doing well. Everyone knew this was one of our toughest schedules we've faced in a long time. Most expected five to seven wins. Seven is obviously not doable, but five is -- if our performance against Houston is a sign that our very young team is starting to figure things out. That would be about where most prognosticators put us at the beginning of the season. Two of our losses were to Top 25 teams. A third was to a Big Ten team that is above .500. That's not an "excuse" but it is a reality of a very young team playing a quality schedule.

We should have won a couple more games. We didn't. It's a shame. But going into next season there are some silver linings. An opportunistic defense is one. A tough redzone defense is another. A dramatically improved run game is another.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
Oh lord. Finding some bright spots on this team doesn't mean you don't value wins and losses even more.

The fact is there are some things this team is doing well. Everyone knew this was one of our toughest schedules we've faced in a long time. Most expected five to seven wins. Seven is obviously not doable, but five is -- if our performance against Houston is a sign that our very young team is starting to figure things out. That would be about where most prognosticators put us at the beginning of the season. Two of our losses were to Top 25 teams. A third was to a Big Ten team that is above .500. That's not an "excuse" but it is a reality of a very young team playing a quality schedule.

We should have won a couple more games. We didn't. It's a shame. But going into next season there are some silver linings. An opportunistic defense is one. A tough redzone defense is another. A dramatically improved run game is another.
I'm not sure you're seeing the point. You should spend a few bucks a month and subscribe to Guerry Smith's reporting at the Wave Report to find out why.
WaveCan
Low Tide

Kudos to the defense for turning things around after the first few games. They have definitely improved as the season has gone on. They've also been behind the 8-ball more this year than last. While last year's offense was not good at all, we at least didn't have a lot of turnovers and missed fgs. This year's offense can move the ball but too many drives end with momentum destroying turnovers or missed fgs or fourth down stops because of no confidence in our fg kicker. Tough for a defense to take the field after those things occur in a game.