Tulane 12 - UConn 3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

WaveCan wrote:
sader24 wrote:Guy I brought to the game was so excited by the game and atmosphere he fell asleep in the 3rd quarter.
Fell asleep or passed out?

Not directed at you sader, but I don't understand the complaining here from last weekend by those at the game. You're honestly saying you couldn't find a way to enjoy sitting outside on a nice night while watching college football on campus and enjoying an adult beverage or three in the process? Oh, and we won.

We all knew this year was going to be tough due to the youth and the schedule. The key all year long to me has been the need for improvement. I saw a special teams unit that, while still having some bad snaps, got all punts off unblocked and without any big returns, and that actually made a field goal and an extra point. I saw a defense that, while going up against a bad offense, held a team to three points, didn't commit dumb penalties, got some pressure on the QB, and finally showed the effort from last year where all 11 swarm at the ball. Offense remains the question mark. The running game has remained steady all year but the play calling has not improved and the passing game has gotten worse. We'll see when Tanner comes back if his time during the Rutgers game signaled improvement or was a mirage. We're 1-1 in conference (a missed chip shot FG from 2-0) and this is when we went on our run last year. This weekend provides a good measuring stick to see how far we've come since GT and Duke.

Finally, we're 2-0 at Yulman at night so I'm calling for all home games to be night games!
Yes, despite the competition, the improvement coming out of the bye is encouraging. Next up is fixing the DL penalties.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote:BTW, the AAC has been terrible this season. One of the worst conferences in the country. C-USA has been better believe it or not.
Oh I believe that. And as I've pointed out numerous times to no avail, the Massey ratings suggested that the two conferences were similar last year, if you except Louisville and UCF, both of which lost NFL 1st round QBs.

The strength of schedule this year has been tougher, but not to the degree it's being used as an excuse right now. Tulane's record is what it is because Tulane routinely beats itself, not because the other team is better and regardless of whether the other team is better.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
greenie78 wrote:BTW, the AAC has been terrible this season. One of the worst conferences in the country. C-USA has been better believe it or not.
Oh I believe that. And as I've pointed out numerous times to no avail, the Massey ratings suggested that the two conferences were similar last year, if you except Louisville and UCF, both of which lost NFL 1st round QBs.

The strength of schedule this year has been tougher, but not to the degree it's being used as an excuse right now. Tulane's record is what it is because Tulane routinely beats itself, not because the other team is better and regardless of whether the other team is better.
The AAC was easily the better conference last year, the bottom of the league was just terrible. CUSA was basically all average teams. This year, the AAC is just loaded with young QBs as I think ECU is the only team with an upperclassmen QB.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

The AAC was easily the better conference last year, the bottom of the league was just terrible. CUSA was basically all average teams. This year, the AAC is just loaded with young QBs as I think ECU is the only team with an upperclassmen QB.
Outside of Louisville and UCF, the AAC was loaded with average teams last year. The Massey ratings are pretty clear about that.

I agree about AAC's youth problem this year.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Outside of Louisville and UCF, the AAC was loaded with average teams last year. The Massey ratings are pretty clear about that.

I agree about AAC's youth problem this year.
If Cincy had our schedule last year they would have lost maybe 1 game. The fact remains, the AAC is closer to the common G5 than the common P5 conference.
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

I think our out of conference losses to Duke, GT, and Rutgers are all teams that we would have lost to in 2013 had we played them.

Our FBS out of conference games in 2013 were South Alabama (loss), ULM (win), and Syracuse (loss).

If we replace Duke and GT with South Alabama and ULM, and if we make a 20 yard FG Tulsa, we're probably looking at 5-1 (2-0) with this year's team. I really believe that. So I do think the schedule has played some real difference in how we feel about this year's team vs. last year's team.

Now, as far as the conference schedule? Well, we were 5-3 last year in C-USA and we're 1-1 this year (should be 2-0, really). So its all to be discovered there.
nawlinspete
Riptide

If apples were bananas there would be a lot more Banana Cream Pie, my favorite.

Back to reality, RickyDicky is a cancer and Tulane Athletics will not improve until he, and his mindset, are excised. Time is slipping away for the beginning of the beginning of the fix to benefit next season. RICKY MUST GO, DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave QB
Swell

OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I think our out of conference losses to Duke, GT, and Rutgers are all teams that we would have lost to in 2013 had we played them.

Our FBS out of conference games in 2013 were South Alabama (loss), ULM (win), and Syracuse (loss).

If we replace Duke and GT with South Alabama and ULM, and if we make a 20 yard FG Tulsa, we're probably looking at 5-1 (2-0) with this year's team. I really believe that. So I do think the schedule has played some real difference in how we feel about this year's team vs. last year's team.

Now, as far as the conference schedule? Well, we were 5-3 last year in C-USA and we're 1-1 this year (should be 2-0, really). So its all to be discovered there.
I think the early season 2013 team would have upset Rutgers.
sader24
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
WaveCan wrote:
sader24 wrote:Guy I brought to the game was so excited by the game and atmosphere he fell asleep in the 3rd quarter.
Fell asleep or passed out?

Not directed at you sader, but I don't understand the complaining here from last weekend by those at the game. You're honestly saying you couldn't find a way to enjoy sitting outside on a nice night while watching college football on campus and enjoying an adult beverage or three in the process? Oh, and we won.

We all knew this year was going to be tough due to the youth and the schedule. The key all year long to me has been the need for improvement. I saw a special teams unit that, while still having some bad snaps, got all punts off unblocked and without any big returns, and that actually made a field goal and an extra point. I saw a defense that, while going up against a bad offense, held a team to three points, didn't commit dumb penalties, got some pressure on the QB, and finally showed the effort from last year where all 11 swarm at the ball. Offense remains the question mark. The running game has remained steady all year but the play calling has not improved and the passing game has gotten worse. We'll see when Tanner comes back if his time during the Rutgers game signaled improvement or was a mirage. We're 1-1 in conference (a missed chip shot FG from 2-0) and this is when we went on our run last year. This weekend provides a good measuring stick to see how far we've come since GT and Duke.

Finally, we're 2-0 at Yulman at night so I'm calling for all home games to be night games!
Yes, despite the competition, the improvement coming out of the bye is encouraging. Next up is fixing the DL penalties.
He was nodding off. We were drinking but he wasn't near the passed out point. It was just at some point in the 3rd qtr I noticed him nodding off quite a bit and when he wasn't nodding off he was watching his phone for other scores of games that he bet on. Look I think the stadium probably quadrupled what the attendance would've been for the UCONN game in the Dome. All I'm saying is that was quite honestly one of the most boring and vanilla wins I've ever been to. I remember a Tulane 10-0 win over William and Mary that was similar. We can't win like that down the stretch against this schedule. I didn't see much improvement in drive killing penalties, I was happy to see DiRocco kick better. I like the defense showing signs of life. The deep snapping was a downright nightmare. I also believe we win that game 28-3 or 35-3 with Lee under center. Just my opinion. I was at both Felipe's and Robert's before the game and it appeared to me both of their staffs were noticeably disappointed with the crowd or lack thereof. Also, the stadium was silent for most of the night and a lot of that has to do with 25% of the stadium watching the game from inside.
Eaglewave
Swell

I think we should have stayed in C-USA because the majority of our fans don't want big time football. All of this, "why are you complaining after we won the game" sh_t is pathetic! There is nothing wrong with a fan wanting to beat a team that we are so much more talented than by a larger margin. If we would have beaten Duke or Rutgers 12-3, nobody would be complaining. A win is a win, but the way you win against certain opponents is a factor. Beating LSU 9-7 (3 FG's) is different from beating Southern the same way. If we beat Southern by that same score, everyone on this board should be pissed.
Ball Sumrall!
OUG
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote:I think we should have stayed in C-USA because the majority of our fans don't want big time football. All of this, "why are you complaining after we won the game" sh_t is pathetic! There is nothing wrong with a fan wanting to beat a team that we are so much more talented than by a larger margin. If we would have beaten Duke or Rutgers 12-3, nobody would be complaining. A win is a win, but the way you win against certain opponents is a factor. Beating LSU 9-7 (3 FG's) is different from beating Southern the same way. If we beat Southern by that same score, everyone on this board should be pissed.
My experience is that people who dismiss the "a win is a win" people are the same types who suggest that there is no such thing as a quality performance in a game you lose against a better team, and that "any loss is still just a loss". Cuts both ways, if you're judging by wins and losses.

This year's team (and this program) is still a work in progress. I think we all know that we're not a finished product.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:I think we should have stayed in C-USA because the majority of our fans don't want big time football. All of this, "why are you complaining after we won the game" sh_t is pathetic! There is nothing wrong with a fan wanting to beat a team that we are so much more talented than by a larger margin. If we would have beaten Duke or Rutgers 12-3, nobody would be complaining. A win is a win, but the way you win against certain opponents is a factor. Beating LSU 9-7 (3 FG's) is different from beating Southern the same way. If we beat Southern by that same score, everyone on this board should be pissed.
My experience is that people who dismiss the "a win is a win" people are the same types who suggest that there is no such thing as a quality performance in a game you lose against a better team, and that "any loss is still just a loss". Cuts both ways, if you're judging by wins and losses.

This year's team (and this program) is still a work in progress. I think we all know that we're not a finished product.
You are probably right.......doesn't make the Tulsa loss, turnovers, penalties, play calling, STs and gameday decisions any easier for me to swallow. The next six games should be telling as far as where this program and HC is going.