Honest Question

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Let's say we go 1-11 and end up with 0 wins over FBS teams. Will that be the worst Tulane Football season in the last 50 years? I say Yes. And does the worst Tulane Football Season in the last 50 years in the Coach's 3rd year warrant a firing? For those of you who like just yelling about how horrible everyone is and everyone should be fired and every player should be demoted please give an honest thoughtful response. Personally, I think there is a very real possibility of a 1-11 season. I'm not sure where we go after that. I want to say give CJ another year, however I just can't get over how woefully unprepared we are and undisciplined we are on a weekly basis. I'm watching Rich Rod's Arizona team in their 3rd year and they are up 7 in the 4th quarter on the road against the #2 team in the country. You can just see how much better they are coached than we are. They are starting a Freshman QB who has made some mistakes, but he keeps putting him in a position to succeed and making things as simple as possible. I'm not looking to get into another Rich Rod thing, but the difference in coaching is just so obvious its impossible not to see it.

Profoundwizard
Swell

To answer the question, possibly. It depends on how we lose the upcoming games. A bunch of blowouts and I suppose I could see it being our worst season. These blowouts would have to be really bad to be worse than the final Toledo season. We lost to Army by almost 40 that year. Matter of fact, Toledo's second year wasn't much better.
lurker123
Swell

I know some of you folks are frustrated but come on. Since you asked, I think one or two of O'Boyle's teams are the worst teams I've seen. (The last 62-0 game I saw was not as close as the score.) I think the worst coaching I have personally seen would be a tie between a Davis year and a Toledo year. I think in its own way the most destructive to the program was perhaps English in his decision to use Jon.

The worst moment? Maybe the third down punt by Scelfo against USM.

OK I've got it out of my system. I've seen them all including Pilney and CJ today is far from the worst. So why should I expect or even predict continued failure for 2014? Tulane still has seven games left (and who knows with lots of luck and great karma maybe more?) Let's see what happens over the next two months and if you guys still wish to commit hari-kari over this team then be my guest.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Comparing Tulane to Arizona is silly in more ways that I care to share (recruits, money, reputation, fan base, etc.)

CJ easily deserves all of next season before a quasi-serious review, and, even then, CJ probably needs another two years before a comprehensive/fair review can take place. And, before any serious conversation can be had about firing CJ, you must find a well-known coach willing to come to Tulane. That, in itself, is an issue as Tulane is legendary for being an unattractive place to be a HC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

A 1-11 season in the third year of a program should absolutely 100% warrant a firing! Except in Tulane's case it won't. Coach CJ will goto the all the young players card, the " we played more freshman than any program in the country" excuse. Or " it's the first year in a new conference" or " we are making a lot of progress." Only at Tulane, anywhere else the staff would be fired after a 1-11 season. Again, like a broken record, it makes no sense to fire the coach as long as Rick Dickson is the athletic director! Fire the AD first!
IM42lane
Swell

sader24 wrote:Let's say we go 1-11 and end up with 0 wins over FBS teams. Will that be the worst Tulane Football season in the last 50 years? I say Yes. And does the worst Tulane Football Season in the last 50 years in the Coach's 3rd year warrant a firing? For those of you who like just yelling about how horrible everyone is and everyone should be fired and every player should be demoted please give an honest thoughtful response. Personally, I think there is a very real possibility of a 1-11 season. I'm not sure where we go after that. I want to say give CJ another year, however I just can't get over how woefully unprepared we are and undisciplined we are on a weekly basis. I'm watching Rich Rod's Arizona team in their 3rd year and they are up 7 in the 4th quarter on the road against the #2 team in the country. You can just see how much better they are coached than we are. They are starting a Freshman QB who has made some mistakes, but he keeps putting him in a position to succeed and making things as simple as possible. I'm not looking to get into another Rich Rod thing, but the difference in coaching is just so obvious its impossible not to see it.
The season has a long way to go, so don't borrow trouble in advance. However, 1-11 would be a definite regression and should not be acceptable to anyone. I am still holding on to the possibility of finishing 3-9.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:A 1-11 season in the third year of a program should absolutely 100% warrant a firing! Except in Tulane's case it won't. Coach CJ will goto the all the young players card, the " we played more freshman than any program in the country" excuse. Or " it's the first year in a new conference" or " we are making a lot of progress." Only at Tulane, anywhere else the staff would be fired after a 1-11 season. Again, like a broken record, it makes no sense to fire the coach as long as Rick Dickson is the athletic director! Fire the AD first!

Exactly! No matter how poorly the team does, we are stuck with this coach for years to come just as we are stuck with the worst
AD in the country until this dumbbell decides to retire whilst smiling all the way to the bank.
Last edited by Bigschtick on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

IM42lane wrote:
sader24 wrote:Let's say we go 1-11 and end up with 0 wins over FBS teams. Will that be the worst Tulane Football season in the last 50 years? I say Yes. And does the worst Tulane Football Season in the last 50 years in the Coach's 3rd year warrant a firing? For those of you who like just yelling about how horrible everyone is and everyone should be fired and every player should be demoted please give an honest thoughtful response. Personally, I think there is a very real possibility of a 1-11 season. I'm not sure where we go after that. I want to say give CJ another year, however I just can't get over how woefully unprepared we are and undisciplined we are on a weekly basis. I'm watching Rich Rod's Arizona team in their 3rd year and they are up 7 in the 4th quarter on the road against the #2 team in the country. You can just see how much better they are coached than we are. They are starting a Freshman QB who has made some mistakes, but he keeps putting him in a position to succeed and making things as simple as possible. I'm not looking to get into another Rich Rod thing, but the difference in coaching is just so obvious its impossible not to see it.
The season has a long way to go, so don't borrow trouble in advance. However, 1-11 would be a definite regression and should not be acceptable to anyone. I am still holding on to the possibility of finishing 3-9.
How many other college FBall message boards have people hoping to go 3-9?
sader24
Tsunami

No other message boards are hoping for 3-9 and as for comparing us to Arizona being silly I disagree. They compete in a much tougher conference than we do. My comparison was to how they are coached, the play calling, the discipline, the mental toughness, the pace of their offense, their tackling, etc. Good coaching doesn't have anything to do with where you are, it has to do with whether or not a guy can coach. Their operation looks professional, ours looks like a clown show. Getting beat by better players is one thing, getting beat b/c of a ridiculous amount of penalties, turnovers, missed coverages, poor play calling, mental weakness, etc has nothing to do with facilities and resources.
TXWave88
Surge

If this team goes 1-11, it is strictly because of coaching. They lack so much discipline its tough to watch. I am not just talking about the stupid penalties either. Just think, if they lose their discipline in the penalty department, how many times do they screw their assignment discipline???? I do not know that as much because I do not know what every play is designed to do, but most plays have not changed in the last 15 years. Even with the talent upgrade, which we definitely have, I am not sure how well this team would do against previous schedules because we beat ourselves constantly. I really like CJ and hope he can succeed, but we may be more poorly coached but with better talent than previous teams. In the end, the results are the same as a non talented team and that just is not what this program needs. Overall though, I predict we beat UCONN because it is the one game that we should win that is left on the schedule and we will surprise someone else. I have no expectations past a 3-9 season though. So if they go 1-11, you have to seriously sit down and see what the best plan of action to take. I think CJ should not be fired, but he has to have coaching staff changes. If he is not willing or chooses not to, then we need to start looking for a replacement. I hope a NOLA bowl loss does not merit tenure at Tulane, but with the admin clowns, we can only expect it.
IM42lane
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
How many other college F Ball message boards have people hoping to go 3-9 ?
Answer to your 3-9 question: Probably zero people are hoping for 3-9, and that is sad, isn't it? I was looking at 4-8 before the season started, but that loss to Tulsa forced me to scale it back to 3-9. Hey, if some of you want me to be optimistic about say a 5-7 or 6-6 finish, then prove it to me. To finish that way would mean that Tulane could finish with a 4-3 or better league record the rest of the way. I just do not see that at this point.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
wavefan03
Surge

If you go by points allowed and points for this year's team against a tougher schedule is better than 2012 and 2011 team. I only looked at the last 5 years.

Special teams play with blocked kicks and lots of penalties is ugly but losing is never pretty.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think we beat UConn, and find a way to win another game or two before season's end.

That being said, a 2, 3 or 4 win season is a red alert that change is desperately needed. I don't think CJ loses his job, but the Price brothers (no relation to me) have got to be shown the way to exit. We need an offensive coordinator with experience. One that can utilize the talent that this team has. It's sad to see us under perform week in and week out. This is a team that has playmakers, but they're not being put into position to make plays.

The D hasn't been much better. At the same time, the offense has done little to keep the D off the field. When was our last 7 minute drive?

If, in fact, we do go 1-11, I would hope CJ resigns. But it's unlikely.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

RD already doubled down on CJ. No way a coaching change will happen in 2014.

But if a change were made, I would target Mack Brown or Ed Orgeron.
Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote:No other message boards are hoping for 3-9 and as for comparing us to Arizona being silly I disagree. They compete in a much tougher conference than we do. My comparison was to how they are coached, the play calling, the discipline, the mental toughness, the pace of their offense, their tackling, etc. Good coaching doesn't have anything to do with where you are, it has to do with whether or not a guy can coach. Their operation looks professional, ours looks like a clown show. Getting beat by better players is one thing, getting beat b/c of a ridiculous amount of penalties, turnovers, missed coverages, poor play calling, mental weakness, etc has nothing to do with facilities and resources.

You nailed it! Particularly, "clown show". Great and tough coaching is the difference.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wave97
Swell

Ed Orgeron +1000
He'll get the recruiting and coaching in order up front.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wave97 wrote:Ed Orgeron +1000
I just don't see it unless we go to $2mm. He almost got the USC job.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed has been blackballed at Tulane under the current admin. After hurricane Katrina when he was at Ole Miss he tried to steal our players at the time. Tulane people were furious. He never even was granted an interview in the last search. He wanted the job.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Ed has been blackballed at Tulane under the current admin. After hurricane Katrina when he was at Ole Miss he tried to steal our players at the time. Tulane people were furious. He never even was granted an interview in the last search. He wanted the job.
That is absolutely infuriating if true. All schools try to steal recruits. We stole one of ULLs.
Wavetime
Swell

No

I think CJ's first year team, especially with Griffin out was worse. I also believe the year after a couple of Toledo, Greg Davis and Scelfo years were just horrible.

You can't compare us to Arizona. it's just not a fair comparison. Maybe Duke and it took them 5 years. I think a more favorable comparison would be Wake Forest or Tulsa. We don't have their money.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That is absolutely infuriating if true. All schools try to steal recruits. We stole one of ULLs.
Not recruits. Players on the team. He recruited the best players on the team when Tulane University was 6 feet underwater. He wanted them to transfer to Ole Miss. It really pissed off some big money people at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Not recruits. Players on the team. He recruited the best players on the team when Tulane University was 6 feet underwater. He wanted them to transfer to Ole Miss. It really pissed off some big money people at Tulane.
Well that's illegal, no? Should have turned him in if they were so upset.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
They did.
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
"In the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States, you've got to stoop pretty low to do that. You're lower than dirt," Scelfo said last month in a CBS Sportsline.com story. "I'm not going to tolerate that. There's people in our business that don't belong in our business."
Last edited by tpstulane on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
51WaveBG
High Tide

If you truly want to get a feel for how well this team is being coached and what the rest of the season will bring, try watching some of TU's opponents play. I watched the whole game between UCF & Houston last night and I can say to pencil the games with each of these teams into the lost column. Each was better disciplined and much better coached than TU. UCF's talent level was well above TU. Each of these teams played with fire and determination. Houston's O'Korn wasn't getting the job done, so the coach benched him and put in a QB, who almost won the game for Houston. At the end of this season, CJ needs to revamp his entire coaching(especially the O side) staff; get a full time special teams coach; appoint a full DC(none of this co-D/C mess) and get an O/C who know how to run an offense, even if you have to appoint him as Asst. Head Coach/O/C to get him. Haven't had a chance to watch UConn play this season, but if I was UConn's D/C, I'd be licking my chops after watching our O/C's play calling and the play of our O line. P.S. Get rid of our current place kicker and recruit someone in this current class who can at least make an extra point. Last night, Houston's P/K made 5 FG's in 5 attempts(one of 51 yards) accounting for all of Houston's points.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
They did.
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
"In the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States, you've got to stoop pretty low to do that. You're lower than dirt," Scelfo said last month in a CBS Sportsline.com story. "I'm not going to tolerate that. There's people in our business that don't belong in our business."
Ah, not sure how I feel about the situation now. I think I still lean to hiring the best candidate. Hopefully RD is gone if we ever need to fire CJ and the board will agree to the best person for the job.