Basketball Season Tickets

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavefan03
Surge

I am a baseball and football season ticket holder, never was much on men's bball. I really enjoy watching games in "Fogelman" though, its as if you are right on top of the action. You get the same feeling when Turchin and Yulman are packed as well.

MicMan
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:The gym, for those who do not know, was built and financed by the payout from the 1932 Rose Bowl. It was a 50-year old dump when I was there, it's now 80+ years ancient and by all rights should be the next item on TU's to-do list. It's a joke and an embarrassment to our new conference, not to mention a hurdle to TU revenue growth in that sport. There's nothing charming about watching a game in this shithole, I've seen better arenas at high schools.
You obviously haven't been in there since the $5 million dollar renovations. It's just too small should the program have success.
Like many with the OCS, you have it backward. You build planning for success, not wait for it to arrive.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:The gym, for those who do not know, was built and financed by the payout from the 1932 Rose Bowl. It was a 50-year old dump when I was there, it's now 80+ years ancient and by all rights should be the next item on TU's to-do list. It's a joke and an embarrassment to our new conference, not to mention a hurdle to TU revenue growth in that sport. There's nothing charming about watching a game in this shithole, I've seen better arenas at high schools.
You obviously haven't been in there since the $5 million dollar renovations. It's just too small should the program have success.
Like many with the OCS, you have it backward. You build planning for success, not wait for it to arrive.
Correct. Only Cowen/Dickson do it the other way.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Nothing to do with what you said calling it a dump. That same building held 5,500 at one time and was once a dump. The problem with putting in nice chair backs you lose seating. The atmosphere is more important at this stage. We'll play Memphis in a $50 million 17,000 seat facility and it will suck. I'd rather first fill Devlin then expand. We are not getting a new facility. We will be able to use the Arena if we start to have a serious ticket increase in demand. Need to get there first. Tulane basketball doesn't have the fan base it once did. Years of not making the tourney, the NBA's Pelicans on TV and in person cut into that base.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Nothing to do with what you said calling it a dump. That same building held 5,500 at one time and was once a dump. The problem with putting in nice chair backs you lose seating. The atmosphere is more important at this stage. We'll play Memphis in a $50 million 17,000 seat facility and it will suck. I'd rather first fill Devlin then expand. We are not getting a new facility. We will be able to use the Arena if we start to have a serious ticket increase in demand. Need to get there first. Tulane basketball doesn't have the fan base it once did. Years of not making the tourney, the NBA's Pelicans on TV and in person cut into that base.
That may be the strategy that Cowen/Dickson are employing, but that doesn't preclude it from also being incorrect. That the atmosphere is more important is an opinion and one not backed by any data.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That may be the strategy that Cowen/Dickson are employing, but that doesn't preclude it from also being incorrect. That the atmosphere is more important is an opinion and one not backed by any data.
I'm going strictly on what the players and coaches tell us.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Update. With Tulane joining the AAC and all of our conference games being on ESPN the demand for student seating has skyrocked. The Tulane student section has been expanded to include both sections under the baskets as well as the current sideline seating that has been in place for years. Indivdual game ticket prices are now based on who we play (tier pricing) The cost to buy a ticket to see UCONN, Memphis, SMU, and Cincy will
now be in the range of the cost of an entire season ticket. Also since we are now in the AAC better basketball schools want to schedule us. LSU could be back on our schedule once again.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That coach was our fifth choice and had a losing record at Citadel and the players are mostly 2 stars, many in those groups are happy to be playing D1 Bball. That's the point that we just disagree on.....facilities matter to big time coaches and players. With Devlin, you are always fighting an uphill battle, especially when competing for AAC quality talent/coaches. They (facilities) also matter as far as the size of your checking account o pay coaches and increase budgets. That's it for my weekly Devlin rant.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
That coach was our fifth choice and had a losing record at Citadel and the players are mostly 2 stars, many in those groups are happy to be playing D1 Bball. That's the point that we just disagree on.....facilities matter to big time coaches and players. With Devlin, you are always fighting an uphill battle, especially when competing for AAC quality talent/coaches. They (facilities) also matter as far as the size of your checking account o pay coaches and increase budgets. That's it for my weekly Devlin rant.
All our coaches came out to our meeting last night. They told us the conf you're in is the biggest factor influencing recruiting. We now have commitments from two 3 star center's in ESPN's top 50. (#41 & #48) http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... w/position
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
MicMan wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
All our coaches came out to our meeting last night. They told us the conf you're in is the biggest factor influencing recruiting. We now have commitments from two 3 star center's in ESPN's top 50. (#41 & #48) http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... w/position
Though that is the stance they have to take, I completely agree. That still doesn't mitigate the fact that Devlin is a tougher sell and limits our revenue generation. However, if you can overcome that obstacle and fill the place it will be a huge advantage, but I prefer to take the SMU route and renovate then win as the latter approach is much more difficult to accomplish.

As for the two centers, that's great but it's not like we beat out powerhouses for them, hopefully we keep them. It's a nice step up but will players like that be enough to compete against the likes of UConn, Cincy, Memphis and SMU who sign multiple 4 stars? Recruitment will improve organically with the AAC move, just as Depaul improved recruiting after moving to the Big East.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Though that is the stance they have to take, I completely agree. That still doesn't mitigate the fact that Devlin is a tougher sell and limits our revenue generation. However, if you can overcome that obstacle and fill the place it will be a huge advantage, but I prefer to take the SMU route and renovate then win as the latter approach is much more difficult to accomplish.

As for the two centers, that's great but it's not like we beat out powerhouses for them, hopefully we keep them. It's a nice step up but will players like that be enough to compete against the likes of UConn, Cincy, Memphis and SMU who sign multiple 4 stars? Recruitment will improve organically with the AAC move, just as Depaul improved recruiting after moving to the Big East.
If we were still in CUSA we don't even get a sniff at those players. Notice how we finally beat Tim Floyd out for a player (Blake Paul). If we're still in CUSA we don't get him. We will rarely beat out "basketball" schools for a top player facilities or not.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

If we were still in CUSA we don't even get a sniff at those players. Notice how we finally beat Tim Floyd out for a player (Blake Paul). If we're still in CUSA we don't get him. We will rarely beat out "basketball" schools for a top player facilities or not.
That's the point I keep making, your POV insinuates that you would be happy being the Depaul of the AAC. They sign multiple 3 stars and even occasional 4 stars in the past few classes, it's resulted in decent non-conference and putrid conference records. It's not just who you sign but who you have to beat. IN CUSA we were below average recruiting comparatively, we move to the AAC and we will be........? As a fan I want to be at least an NCAA threat each year, I think that is not asking too much for a school like Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

That's the point I keep making, your POV insinuates that you would be happy being the Depaul of the AAC. They sign multiple 3 stars and even occasional 4 stars in the past few classes, it's resulted in decent non-conference and putrid conference records. It's not just who you sign but who you have to beat. IN CUSA we were below average recruiting comparatively, we move to the AAC and we will be........? As a fan I want to be at least an NCAA threat each year, I think that is not asking too much for a school like Tulane.
Not at all. My point is we are getting better players in our program. Yes we are playing in a tougher league but it is much more attractive to watch than CUSA teams. We will be better than most here think. Every player gained weight and strength some up to 20 lbs. We finally have depth and you could see us pressing teams much more since we have fast and solid guard play. I'm excited. The league could be a 4 to 5 bid league like it was when we have Perry. CUSA will always be a 1 bid league. So our chances increase going to the NCAA or NIT in this league if we finish in the top 5. last league the AAC have 6 teams go to the NCAA & NIT combined.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

TPS all wrong on this. To be successful we must emulate success. Tulane Gym is obsolete. Hopefully it will be the next New Orleans 'landmark' to fall down, forcing our hand to rebuild properly or move games to Smoothie King. Smoothie King was built for Tulane. Let's use it.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
OUG
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:TPS all wrong on this. To be successful we must emulate success. Tulane Gym is obsolete. Hopefully it will be the next New Orleans 'landmark' to fall down, forcing our hand to rebuild properly or move games to Smoothie King. Smoothie King was built for Tulane. Let's use it.
But what do you think should be done with Rick Dickson? ISN'T THAT THE REAL ISSUE?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:TPS all wrong on this. To be successful we must emulate success. Tulane Gym is obsolete. Hopefully it will be the next New Orleans 'landmark' to fall down, forcing our hand to rebuild properly or move games to Smoothie King. Smoothie King was built for Tulane. Let's use it.
Tulane gym was obsolete. Tulane spent $5 million to upgrade it to Devlin/Fogelman Arena. We have mostly chair back theater seating, 3 hospitality rooms, a giftshop, new all new restrooms, a new lobby. The Tulane Gym once housed accounting offices that's all gone. It has a new floor. It has big screen TV's all over the building (2 in the lobby and one in each hospitality room). By the end of the season it will have all new ceiling to floor windows on the second level. Next year it will have a million video board. Is it undersized? Yes. Is it stopping us from winning? No. We have $13 million state of the art practice facility that is one of the best in the country. We are in a Top 5 league now. We have a staff that can recruit. We can have success. Stop using Devlin as an excuse as to why we can't win. If it were that easy then we'd just play all our games a NOLA Arena and go to the NCAA's every year.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

"Is it undersized? Yes."

You answered the riddle.

Tulane BB will never amount to anything in that relic.

And Tulane Athletics will never be able to amount to anything until Ricky is gone. RickyDick is the greatewr issue now. Once he is gone moving to Smoothie King is required to attract top coaches and top talent.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Jonathan
Riptide

I would not spend a penny on Tulane basketball season tickets until we get rid of the Citadel's Conroy,hire a $1.5 million dollar coach like SMU,start recruiting four star blue chip players and get rid of this terrible low rent schedule. Also I do not like sitting in a Tulane high school gym to watch basketball. Holy Cross High School and Xavier University both have better basketball facilities than Tulane. Sad! PS We do not have a coach that can recruit. What decent players he gets they quit his team and move to a better program. Tulane men's basketball is one of the worst programs in the nation. What are you smoking to thing Conroy can recruit and sign four star athletes! We cannot win for one reason,Conroy has not recruited four star players since he has been at Tulane and he cannot coach during games. Both facts. Look at his win loss record and terrible teams that he brings in to pad his win schedule. Fire him now! Also I love the weird post seasons tournaments we pay to play in under Conroy. I expect at Tulane the NCAA tournament every year as did Perry Clark before he got lazy with his half million dollar salary.