Is it True?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Dave breslin
Swell

Is there any truth that the Price brothers were a RD pick and not CJs? Does RD have any input in who the assistants are? Or is this just rumors?

Wave QB
Swell

I was told by a very good source that CJ wanted a HC job so badly that he agreed to this. I was told by that same source that CJ wanted to bring in a former Saints back up QB to be his OC but couldn't.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Internet rumors. Probably started from the fact that Bob Toledo was required to keep a certain WR coach who was married to a Tulane assistant AD and RD is good friends with Mike Price.
Also a rumor is we have no special teams coach and we are short a coach. I asked this to coach and was told Jason Rollins is our Special Teams coach and we are not short a coach. Simply ask coach his connection to Eric Price and why he went with him as OC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Internet rumors. Probably started from the fact that Bob Toledo was required to keep a certain WR coach who was married to a Tulane assistant AD and RD is good friends with Mike Price.
Also a rumor is we have no special teams coach and we are short a coach. I asked this to coach and was told Jason Rollins is our Special Teams coach and we are not short a coach. Simply ask coach his connection to Eric Price and why he went with him as OC.
TPS...we will have to disagree... I was told in Pullman, Washington a few moths ago of the RD and Price Bros connection and the condition CJ would have to agree to to be named HC...and I obtained that info on a Golf Course at Washington State..not an internet site
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Internet rumors. Probably started from the fact that Bob Toledo was required to keep a certain WR coach who was married to a Tulane assistant AD and RD is good friends with Mike Price.
TPS...we will have to disagree... I was told in Pullman, Washington a few moths ago of the RD and Price Bros connection and the condition CJ would have to agree to to be named HC...and I obtained that info on a Golf Course at Washington State..not an internet site
I'd believe it if I heard rumors of an AD telling his coach he had to shake up their staff or else.... I find that Price story hard to believe. Next chance I get I'm going to ask coach directly. Now I do believe Eric Price had some influence on CJ hiring his brother Aaron Price as QB coach.

CJ said he hired him because of his prior experience in CUSA.
Former UTEP and Memphis offensive coordinator Eric Price will serve in the same capacity for the Green Wave. Price is the son of UTEP head coach Mike Price.
“Eric coached in this conference and I would call him a Big Sky guy like I am,” Johnson said. “His father is a coach, he has coaching background. He understands the conference, he understands football and he’s a very smart guy. I just wanted to get enough smart guys.”
Prior to Memphis, Price served as the wide receivers coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. In 2008, he coached Dwayne Bowe, who logged 86 catches for 1,022 yards.
Price, 45, received his initial NFL coaching experience as an offensive assistant with the New York Jets from 2001-02. He was instrumental in the development of Jets quarterback Chad Pennington. Price helped prepare Pennington for his move into the starting lineup, as he opened the final 12 games of the 2002 season.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

All I know is that our offense has stunk for three years and something needs to change. That's what matters. This week, our two starting WRs had two catches for 30 yards.
ArtVandelay
Ripple

According to Rollins bio on the TU website he has never coached special teams before. I'm sure his total lack of experience as a special teams coach is contributing to the horrible special teams play this year. It was a poor decision by CJ not to hire a special teams coach with experience when Barry Lamb left.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ArtVandelay wrote:

According to Rollins bio on the TU website he has never coached special teams before. I'm sure his total lack of experience as a special teams coach is contributing to the horrible special teams play this year. It was a poor decision by CJ not to hire a special teams coach with experience when Barry Lamb left.
maybe we should have sent Coach Rollins to the following
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... bu1WocUjAg
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ArtVandelay wrote:

That is true he has never coached ST's. But Jason is our special teams coach and is responsible for it at this time. Right or wrong, CJ choose to elevate one of our GA's to full-time and did a poor job of thinking we were ok at the FG kicker position. He learned that from Sean Payton.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:

That is true he has never coached ST's. But Jason is our special teams coach and is responsible for it at this time. Right or wrong, CJ choose to elevate one of our GA's to full-time and did a poor job of thinking we were ok at the FG kicker position. He learned that from Sean Payton.
To me, the STs problems have much more to do with recruiting than coaching (which might be Rollins fault as well). The main issue is that our LS, kicker and punter are not very talented. Sure the average ST coach know a little about kicker but not all that much and this kicker just missed a field goal by 30 yards, no coaching could save this mess. Our regular OL isn't all that great, can't expect the STs line to be much better.
DrBox
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
To me, the STs problems have much more to do with recruiting than coaching (which might be Rollins fault as well). The main issue is that our LS, kicker and punter are not very talented. Sure the average ST coach know a little about kicker but not all that much and this kicker just missed a field goal by 30 yards, no coaching could save this mess. Our regular OL isn't all that great, can't expect the STs line to be much better.
I agree that the greatest immediate problem is personnel.
But the ongoing situation of getting nothing out of our return game could be coach related. For example, why isn't bAdie returning kickoffs. Shouldn't we maximize his opportunities in open space?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
I agree that the greatest immediate problem is personnel.
But the ongoing situation of getting nothing out of our return game could be coach related. For example, why isn't bAdie returning kickoffs. Shouldn't we maximize his opportunities in open space?
Especially when he is only averaging 12 carries a game.
Show Me
Tsunami

Badie returned kicks in HS for Curtis. I believe CJ doesn't want to have to use starters on ST's for fear of an injury.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:Badie returned kicks in HS for Curtis. I believe CJ doesn't want to have to use starters on ST's for fear of an injury.
That plan is working out great.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Badie returned kicks in HS for Curtis. I believe CJ doesn't want to have to use starters on ST's for fear of an injury.
Remember Badie played one series vs GT because of heat problems. Had we had him that game who knows. Tulane lacks depth and that's the problem.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Remember Badie played one series vs GT because of heat problems. Had we had him that game who knows. Tulane lacks depth and that's the problem.
We have a very capable backup RB, one of the few positions we have depth. He gets 12 carries a game, put him back there for kickoffs.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

If we do go with the same Kick returner I'd be happy with taking a knee in the endzone every time. I think we have 1 return past the 25 this season.
The kicking issue, I agree is about personnel.
Eaglewave
Swell

Tpstulane,

I doubt CJ is going to tell us the truth anyway. I did hear that CJ was issued the Price BS from Rick as well.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:

Gulfnut69,

I was told a similar story as well.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:Tpstulane,

I doubt CJ is going to tell us the truth anyway. I did hear that CJ was issued the Price BS from Rick as well.
Unless it is coming from a credible source it's not worthy IMO. I was listening to Eric Asher the other day and he was interviewing Graff. Eric stated that he heard we were short a coach and had no one coaching special teams. So I asked this question specifically to our coaches and was told no were are not short a coach and yes we did have someone coaching special teams, Jason Rollins. I still believe CJ hired EP because of his prior experience in CUSA. The only place I hear otherwise is here. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton pushed hard for CJ's hiring. As far as I'm concerned CJ is free and has been free to hire and fire anyone on his entire staff. And oh yea, CJ's son Trey played for Eric Price at Memphis.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:Tpstulane,

Unless it is coming from a credible source it's not worthy IMO. I was listening to Eric Asher the other day and he was interviewing Graff. Eric stated that he heard we were short a coach and had no one coaching special teams. So I asked this question specifically to our coaches and was told no were are not short a coach and yes we did have someone coaching special teams, Jason Rollins. I still believe CJ hired EP because of his prior experience in CUSA. The only place I hear otherwise is here. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton pushed hard for CJ's hiring. As far as I'm concerned CJ is free and has been free to hire and fire anyone on his entire staff.
Would CJ ever throw Rollins under the bus to a fan?

I don't care who pushed who, he was our 5th or 6th choice and the concern was his gameday coaching. It's our ADs job to figure out the best candidate and RDs failures put us in this spot. I am not saying CJ is a guaranteed failure by any means, but right now it looks real bad. This team is lost and undisciplined with players regressing across the board.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Badie played a whole lot more than one series. He didn't play in the second half. His "heat issues" were the fact that his bell got rung. He was the intended receiver on the 4th down play at our own 44 yard line with less than a minute left in the first half.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Would CJ ever throw Rollins under the bus to a fan?

I don't care who pushed who, he was our 5th or 6th choice and the concern was his gameday coaching. It's our ADs job to figure out the best candidate and RDs failures put us in this spot. I am not saying CJ is a guaranteed failure by any means, but right now it looks real bad. This team is lost and undisciplined with players regressing across the board.
Nobody is throwing Jason under a bus for special teams. I asked if we had a coach and was told yes we do Jason, that's all. Don't read anything into that. I asked a question and got an answer. The problem is more lack of a FG kicker. Deep snapping needs help as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Badie played a whole lot more than one series. He didn't play in the second half. His "heat issues" were the fact that his bell got rung. He was the intended receiver on the 4th down play at our own 44 yard line with less than a minute left in the first half.
He got hurt on his first carry. He never came out the locker room at all after halftime because they didn't want him in the heat.
http://theadvocate.com/sports/statescho ... ie-back-on
“Badie got hurt on the first carry (of the game),” Johnson said.
Last edited by tpstulane on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote: Would CJ ever throw Rollins under the bus to a fan?

Nobody is throwing Jason under a bus for special teams. I asked if we had a coach and was told yes we do Jason, that's all. Don't read anything into that. I asked a question and got an answer. The problem is more lack of a FG kicker. Deep snapping needs help as well.
My point is that you didn't need to ask (though I appreciate your efforts) you just needed to go here:

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... ml#coaches

That was the answer you would receive.