Where is Oliver N. Blue?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

Nm

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
sader24
Tsunami

I think him and JTS ran away together. Apparently their minions have found out what's really going on.
DrBox
Riptide

Oliver is a major financial supporter of the athletic program (perhaps the major). He was the whistle-blower to Cowen and Lapeyre's fun and games. He has earned and deserves our respect.
JTS supports the program too.

Do I think they're too cozy with and blind toward Dickson? Yes. Hopefully they see the light if things aren't delivered this calendar year.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I agree about Oliver... JtS not so much.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

I know who Oliver is and what he did. I also know in the last few years he's pretty much gone to the dark side. A few months ago he was on YOGWF berating people who dared question whether or not the school was really making a commitment to Athletics threatening not to post anymore if people didn't change their NEGATIVE attitudes. Of course their negative attitudes turned out to be accurate attitudes. I remember when Cowen was painting his face during the 98 season pretending to be Pro-Athletics. 5 years later he was trying to kill the program. People change. As for JTS, to call him a major supporter of Tulane Athletics is total blasphemy. He's done more than any fan I've ever known to destroy the program. Whether it was ignorance or not his actions on YOGWF chased away many fans and allowed the administration to operate with impunity. JTS is a scumbag.
DrBox
Riptide

They've always been tight with Dickson - nothing new there. They like the guy and, from their perspective, he's been restrained by Cowen.
That's probably true...but it doesn't explain a lot of things such as 2 extensions to the hapless Scelfo, Finney, Dickerson, the inability to get a halfway fair contract to the best volleyball coach in school history (who was also an alumnus), consistently poor football scheduling from the standpoint of maximizing attendance (the teams that we scheduled have been fine), woeful PR and near non-existent marketing.

That said, we'll find out this calendar year whether the "playbook" was real or whether Dickson can bring in the stadium money.
msdos
Swell

DrBox wrote:the inability to get a halfway fair contract to the best volleyball coach in school history (who was also an alumnus)
she's moved on and done abysmally. This is probably her last year at Colorado. I think we've got the better of the two coaches out of the deal.
RWR
Swell

sader24 wrote:I know who Oliver is and what he did. I also know in the last few years he's pretty much gone to the dark side. A few months ago he was on YOGWF berating people who dared question whether or not the school was really making a commitment to Athletics threatening not to post anymore if people didn't change their NEGATIVE attitudes. Of course their negative attitudes turned out to be accurate attitudes. I remember when Cowen was painting his face during the 98 season pretending to be Pro-Athletics. 5 years later he was trying to kill the program. People change. As for JTS, to call him a major supporter of Tulane Athletics is total blasphemy. He's done more than any fan I've ever known to destroy the program. Whether it was ignorance or not his actions on YOGWF chased away many fans and allowed the administration to operate with impunity. JTS is a scumbag.
Shame on you sader. You just insulted scumbags everywhere.
sader24
Tsunami

I've heard the restrained argument and believed it for awhile. Unfortunately he is just abysmal at hiring coaches and deciding when its time to fire coaches. His public performance over the last few years has been embarrassing as well. When he came from Washington St. the tape on him was that he was pretty good at raising money but bad hiring coaches and running the department. I'd say that's held pretty true here as well.