The $10,000,000 Y Challenge

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:I purchased a large brick...inscribed..."RIP Tulane Football"

After nearly 20 years of corruption and mismanagement, I'm afraid that "RIP Tulane" may be just as appropriate.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wavetime
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Once again Tulane is $7 million from paying off Yulman. Of that, Tulane needs to raise only half of that which is $3.5 million because the remainder will be matched by Richard Yulman. The brick program is moving along. It's a 3 for 1 match. So if you buy a $500 brick Tulane will receive an additional $1,000 towards the stadium for a total of $1,500.
Does a brick purchase count towards a TAF donation?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Once again Tulane is $7 million from paying off Yulman. Of that, Tulane needs to raise only half of that which is $3.5 million because the remainder will be matched by Richard Yulman. The brick program is moving along. It's a 3 for 1 match. So if you buy a $500 brick Tulane will receive an additional $1,000 towards the stadium for a total of $1,500.
Does a brick purchase count towards a TAF donation?
I don't think so since you're actually buying something. However the Glazers and Yulmans will both match your purchase with a donation.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RD still on the road 4 days a week fundraising and we are still $10 million from paying it off. Pathetic. Throw in the fact that we hired a an asst. AD at a high salary and the department is not being run any better. That light is an oncoming train.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

Hard to believe people here actually talking about giving the grossly mismanaged athletic department MORE money. The definition of insanity: Doing the same stupid thing over and over, expecting to get a different result.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

MicMan wrote:Hard to believe people here actually talking about giving the grossly mismanaged athletic department MORE money. The definition of insanity: Doing the same stupid thing over and over, expecting to get a different result.
Absolutely this.

Remember when folks were saying, correctly, that they would never have announced this challenge unless they knew they had the money raised? Yeah well once again everyone incorrectly assumed that there was an ounce of competence involved.

Not another dime until drastic changes are made, and Dickson is just the start of that.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

An update would be nice...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
MicMan wrote:Hard to believe people here actually talking about giving the grossly mismanaged athletic department MORE money. The definition of insanity: Doing the same stupid thing over and over, expecting to get a different result.
Absolutely this.

Remember when folks were saying, correctly, that they would never have announced this challenge unless they knew they had the money raised? Yeah well once again everyone incorrectly assumed that there was an ounce of competence involved.

Not another dime until drastic changes are made, and Dickson is just the start of that.
What anyone does with their money is none of your business. We already have by far the worst donations in the conference, by far the lowest ticket sales, by far the lowest internet pageviews and nothing changes. Get off your high horse with this nonsense. I give very little yet had one of the highest priorities for Yulman seating selection. If I want to buy a brick that's my own business. The current admin doesn't care what we give or what we think, the only way a real change occurs is if the current admin changes their POV or the big dollar donors demand change.

As for the update, we won;t get one, guess why? Even if we do, who knows if they are lying.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

What anyone does with their money is none of your business. We already have by far the worst donations in the conference, by far the lowest ticket sales, by far the lowest internet pageviews and nothing changes. Get off your high horse with this nonsense. I give very little yet had one of the highest priorities for Yulman seating selection. If I want to buy a brick that's my own business. The current admin doesn't care what we give or what we think, the only way a real change occurs is if the current admin changes their POV or the big dollar donors demand change.

As for the update, we won;t get one, guess why? Even if we do, who knows if they are lying.
What Tulane University does with the money they are asking from me is my business, as it should be yours. Would you have donated if they asked for money for a 25K seat stadium? When it's obvious that they refuse to hold themselves accountable and continually misappropriate funds (mostly into their own pockets) then continuing to volunteer dollars towards that cause becomes an IQ test. Sorry if that comes across personally, but it's pretty straightforward in that regard.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Meanwhile, to answer the bump, we'll never hear about this failure again. Just like every other Cowen failure, it will be swept under the rug never to be mentioned again, and no one in the media will ever ask about it again.

Meanwhile, our athletic department facilities plan, flawed as it is, remains on hold indefinitely because we are in debt on Yulman.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

What Tulane University does with the money they are asking from me is my business, as it should be yours. Would you have donated if they asked for money for a 25K seat stadium? When it's obvious that they refuse to hold themselves accountable and continually misappropriate funds (mostly into their own pockets) then continuing to volunteer dollars towards that cause becomes an IQ test. Sorry if that comes across personally, but it's pretty straightforward in that regard.
There are still student athletes that work their ass off, so ya I will give my $50 to support them. Again, you don't want to donate, fine say so but don't tell anyone else what to do with their money.

You watch games on TV, ratings are monetized, who has the low IQ now. Oh and didn't you say you attended a game in Cali, supporting this product, what a fool you r.....I just think people sometimes need to mind their own business. You have an opinion, express it but don;t tell anyone what they should do with their time and/or money.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

There are still student athletes that work their ass off, so ya I will give my $50 to support them. Again, you don't want to donate, fine say so but don't tell anyone else what to do with their money.

You watch games on TV, ratings are monetized, who has the low IQ now. Oh and didn't you say you attended a game in Cali, supporting this product, what a fool you r.....I just think people sometimes need to mind their own business. You have an opinion, express it but don;t tell anyone what they should do with their time and/or money.
Are you confusing the program's direct revenue and voluntary donations? Yes, I will spend money to attend Tulane sporting events. No, I will not voluntarily give money for Cowen/Dickson's personal projects or personal gain. You are kidding yourself if you think that $50 changes a single thing for any Tulane student athlete. It's mostly about Dickson's performance bonus.

I will happily tell you that the most effective way affect change is to withhold financial support. You may not like that or choose to do so, but that doesn't make it an opinion.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

Are you confusing the program's direct revenue and voluntary donations? Yes, I will spend money to attend Tulane sporting events. No, I will not voluntarily give money for Cowen/Dickson's personal projects or personal gain. You are kidding yourself if you think that $50 changes a single thing for any Tulane student athlete. It's mostly about Dickson's performance bonus.

I will happily tell you that the most effective way affect change is to withhold financial support. You may not like that or choose to do so, but that doesn't make it an opinion.
Ya ok.

Congrats, I will spend money and donate whatever I please. Donating $ or buying tickets, there's a difference, um ok.

Your ego is too much sometimes. Oh and I also donate to the business school and I (and I am guessing everyone else on this site) don't care what you think. But, you keep wasting your time. I hope you are proud to be on the same page as that genius Micman, Maybe you can help him flip burgers the next time you are in town to view your favorite program live.........
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

Ya ok.

Congrats, I will spend money and donate whatever I please. Donating $ or buying tickets, there's a difference, um ok.

Your ego is too much sometimes. Oh and I also donate to the business school and I (and I am guessing everyone else on this site) don't care what you think. But, you keep wasting your time. I hope you are proud to be on the same page as that genius Micman, Maybe you can help him flip burgers the next time you are in town to view your favorite program live.........
As I noted, you are willing and able to do whatever you want with your money. Of course, it isn't helping the program or the student athletes and only shows support for Cowen and Dickson. I am not sure what flipping burgers has to do with anything.

Yes, buying a ticket to a game is buying a tangible product, admission to a college sporting event. Donating money to people who YOU KNOW will lie to you about what they will do with it is just lighting money on fire.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

Ya ok.

As I noted, you are willing and able to do whatever you want with your money. Of course, it isn't helping the program or the student athletes and only shows support for Cowen and Dickson. I am not sure what flipping burgers has to do with anything.

Yes, buying a ticket to a game is buying a tangible product, admission to a college sporting event. Donating money to people who YOU KNOW will lie to you about what they will do with it is just lighting money on fire.
Purely speculative. You are also nutso if you think it makes a difference either way. Our donations couldn't possibly get any worse and nothing changes.....and yes it supports the athletes.

My point is that I find it extremely ignorant telling people what to do with their money. It's revenue pure and simple, whether its tickets, TV rating or donations. I also buy tickets to support the program just as much as provide entertainment, like most college fans. Oh and thanks for informing me that I can spend my money as I please, good grief.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Absolutely this.

Ya ok.

Purely speculative. You are also nutso if you think it makes a difference either way. Our donations couldn't possibly get any worse and nothing changes.....and yes it supports the athletes.

My point is that I find it extremely ignorant telling people what to do with their money. It's revenue pure and simple, whether its tickets, TV rating or donations. I also buy tickets to support the program just as much as provide entertainment, like most college fans. Oh and thanks for informing me that I can spend my money as I please, good grief.
You contradict yourself multiple times here. Donations are not revenue. That's not speculative.

And yes I agree with you that both revenue and donations "support the program", which is the same thing as giving a big public thumbs up to the Tulane Model. So I guess thanks for that.

As for who the money will go to support, I'll refer you to the story about the coaches having to buy their own microwave.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I would like to see an accounting of what TAF money goes towards. I'm assuming it probably pays the salaries of the TAF employees as for the rest I have no idea. LSU's (TAF) Tiger Athletic Fund goes towards mostly capital projects and other things. And it's outside of the university. They like to brag that "XYZ" has been paid for by the Tiger Athletic Fund. I have never seen Tulane account for its TAF donations. I give but many think its a black hole. I give to Jesuit and they tell us the total raised and what it will go towards. Very tangible things. There's nothing worse then donating to pay someone's salary or operating expenses that should be funded by the university itself.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Excellent point tpstulane. As a contributor to both Tulane and Rice athletics funds, I can definitely see a difference. Friends of Rice provides an excellent detailed annual report of where all the contributed funds are allocated. I've never seen any transparency from TAF.

Although it is a pity Rice is stuck in CUSA, the AD has a Stanford pedigree and is young, energetic, and switched on. They've kept academics very strong and are competitive in football and baseball.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote:Excellent point tpstulane. As a contributor to both Tulane and Rice athletics funds, I can definitely see a difference. Friends of Rice provides an excellent detailed annual report of where all the contributed funds are allocated. I've never seen any transparency from TAF.

Although it is a pity Rice is stuck in CUSA, the AD has a Stanford pedigree and is young, energetic, and switched on. They've kept academics very strong and are competitive in football and baseball.
Really sad. I give because I love my school. But it's a black hole to most I speak with.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I would like to see an accounting of what TAF money goes towards. I'm assuming it probably pays the salaries of the TAF employees as for the rest I have no idea. LSU's (TAF) Tiger Athletic Fund goes towards mostly capital projects and other things. And it's outside of the university. They like to brag that "XYZ" has been paid for by the Tiger Athletic Fund. I have never seen Tulane account for its TAF donations. I give but many think its a black hole. I give to Jesuit and they tell us the total raised and what it will go towards. Very tangible things. There's nothing worse then donating to pay someone's salary or operating expenses that should be funded by the university itself.
Right. It should be obvious by now that secrecy is a very key aspect of the Cowen/Dickson operation. If they don't tell you the plan, they can't be held accountable. If they don't tell you where they are going to spend the money, no one will know when they spend it somewhere inappropriate.

The only reason to hide things is because you are doing things you aren't supposed to be doing. Sunlight is always the best disinfectant.

But by all means, keep forking over that money into the Cowen/Dickson black hole and just hope for the best...
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavetrader wrote:Excellent point tpstulane. As a contributor to both Tulane and Rice athletics funds, I can definitely see a difference. Friends of Rice provides an excellent detailed annual report of where all the contributed funds are allocated. I've never seen any transparency from TAF.

You can see the difference between Tulane and basically any competent, ethical, respectable organization.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:

Really sad. I give because I love my school. But it's a black hole to most I speak with.
Given the knowledge that your donations do not pay for coaches microwaves or parking spaces but Cowen and Dickson have received numerous raises over the years, how does this make you feel? The money is literally going into their pockets. They are taking advantage of your love for the school in an unethical and immoral way. It's absolutely disgusting.
nawlinspete
Riptide

December 6, 2014 deadline missed.

It's now July 2, 2015 and you have still failed to raise the matching $$$ ?

It's a good thing we have such an effective fund raiser, with your great rapport with our friends, alumnae and alumni, donors and future potential donors, and the general New Orleans and Louisiana population.

You are a one of a kind. There is no doubt about that. Unique.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:December 6, 2014 deadline missed.

It's now July 2, 2015 and you have still failed to raise the matching $$$ ?

It's a good thing we have such an effective fund raiser, with your great rapport with our friends, alumnae and alumni, donors and future potential donors, and the general New Orleans and Louisiana population.

You are a one of a kind. There is no doubt about that. Unique.
Like everything else that Cowen and Dickson fail at, this will be swept under the rug and never mentioned again.

Meanwhile, the failure to "complete" the Yulman Challenge is, by itself, another Rick Dickson Disaster (tm) because you don't make these things public unless you KNOW you are going to raise the money. Both the failure to raise the funds as well as the bungled PR make this a "classic Dickson" failure. Which is to say complete and spectacular.

And yet Tulane's Board gave him a PROMOTION in the last year.
Green Wave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:We talk about looking to get rid of RD, well here's our opportunity. All it would take is one big money alum to step up and publicly say he'll match Yulman's $10M, and give another $20M towards an IPF, on the condition that Rick Dickson is relieved of his duties immediately. That would put it squarely in the lap of the BOA. Do they turn down $30M just to save RD's ass?
Are Warren Buffet and/or Phil Knight closet Tulane fans ?
Oh pah leeze!

That ain't happening!

Clueless people"

RD spearheaded a successful drive to lift season tickets in the wake of the 2003 review with the help of board member Goldring!

RD survived the ultimate NCAA death penalty. KATRINA!

A big fan of Tulane not RD:

The stadium costs 75k+ but, U are bictch moaning about 20k!

Trash! You are going out your way to look for excuses!

:P
ROLL WAVE!