2014 - 2015 Men's Basketball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Its simple math - Memphis will bring 3 to 4 THOUSAND people to NOLA (quick drive down I-55) whereas UCONN will bring 3 to 4 HUNDRED people to Nola Max (Long flight half way across the country)

My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Playing Memphis there is a good trial start. Let's see if we draw 6K. It's a good measuring stick as to see how big we need to make Devlin in the future. Memphis has always been our biggest crowd. Now Fred I fully expect to see you in attendance there.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Playing Memphis there is a good trial start. Let's see if we draw 6K. It's a good measuring stick as to see how big we need to make Devlin in the future. Memphis has always been our biggest crowd. Now Fred I fully expect to see you in attendance there.
If TU sincerely wants to and tries to have a team that's actually competitive in a legitimately strong bball conference, as in posting a winning conference record and making the NCAA tournament, then there should not be much of a problem drawing a decent crowd and certainly well more than could fit in a 3400 seat facility. TU managed to do it in 2000. TU managed to do it several times prior to 2000 with bball games in the Superdome.

Now OTOH who you play is only half of the picture. Is TU trying to be or to make a statement about being a national power by taking these teams on? Well, I'm going to have to see that to believe it. These teams are on the schedule by virtue of TU having been invited to join this conference (which TU wanted and needed to do to get the $$) and that's the essence of the story. If the team stinks and fans don't feel like wasting their time and money to see TU be a punching bag taking anyone to task for not being happily supportive in such a scenario is BS. The burden is on the administration, not on the fans.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

So Fred, I take it you're not coming.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:I think we should have scheduled UCONN for the arena not Memphis. They are the defending champs. Memphis just isn't what they were and aren't that much of a draw any more b/c of that.
Perhaps they think Memphis will travel well and bring a number of fans? Perhaps they did not wish to give up Devlin advantage to UConn?
+1
I believe Memphis will be the pick to win the conf this season and will be higher ranked by the time we play them. Memphis does travel the best. I think Tulane got this right. Our students are not likely to go downtown to watch basketball. They deserve the chance to see UCONN on campus.
We'll have to agree to disagree. If the students deserve to see UConn then they should deserve to see Memphis who you say will be better than UConn. Fact is Memphis has come here a lot and they fill up the one section we allot to the visitors. There was never demand by them and their fans to need to move the game. So play both on campus if you don't want to give up home court advantage. Fact is UConn might travel better as it will be there first time here. So in the end both should be played at the same venue.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:I think we should have scheduled UCONN for the arena not Memphis. They are the defending champs. Memphis just isn't what they were and aren't that much of a draw any more b/c of that.
Perhaps they think Memphis will travel well and bring a number of fans? Perhaps they did not wish to give up Devlin advantage to UConn?
+1
I believe Memphis will be the pick to win the conf this season and will be higher ranked by the time we play them. Memphis does travel the best. I think Tulane got this right. Our students are not likely to go downtown to watch basketball. They deserve the chance to see UCONN on campus.
We'll have to agree to disagree. If the students deserve to see UConn then they should deserve to see Memphis who you say will be better than UConn. Fact is Memphis has come here a lot and they fill up the one section we allot to the visitors. There was never demand by them and their fans to need to move the game. So play both on campus if you don't want to give up home court advantage. Fact is UConn might travel better as it will be there first time here. So in the end both should be played at the same venue.
I'll know by Friday why Tulane choose to play Memphis at the arena.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Simple math, Memphis will bring three to four thousand fans and Tulane will have the usual 400 in the Arena to see another blow out. Fire Conroy now!
Last edited by Jonathan on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:So Fred, I take it you're not coming.
I take it, then, that you expect for the team to be having a long season -- but that you still would hold it against any fan if they think that such a product is not worth supporting and spending good money on.

Let me ask you this: what is it going to take for the admin. to get the message that winning is expected and that the burden is theirs to take care of that aspect first and before they're in any kind of position to be demanding anything of fans?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Fred Dowler wrote:
I take it, then, that you expect for the team to be having a long season -- but that you still would hold it against any fan if they think that such a product is not worth supporting and spending good money on.

Let me ask you this: what is it going to take for the admin. to get the message that winning is expected and that the burden is theirs to take care of that aspect first and before they're in any kind of position to be demanding anything of fans?
I get it.... We all want to win, but still support the school.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

So it's not reasonable then, and especially given the record of the past decade and a half, to say that the burden is on the TU admin. and athletics dept. to prove their commitment to winning and getting to the next level in bball, hold them accountable and have certain standards as fans? To say that support must be earned rather than taken for granted? Again, what's it going to take to get the message across to these people? It appears that if they see lack of support (for a mediocre product) then their idea is to rail against the fans for being bad fans, but heaven knows that if fans happily support a mediocre or worse product (not going to happen anyway) then they'll feel no pressure to do anything about it. Again, if you want to call yourself a major program then the fans have the right and the standing to pass judgment and should do so.
nawlinspete
Riptide

As always it is crucial to win with good talent against good competition.

Are we able to enroll quality talent with a coach who has not demonstrated his ability to win playing putrid schedules ? Apparently not.

Do we have an AD who requires wins ? Apparently not.

Are they satisfied with the status quo ? Apparently yes.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

It's simply not fair to put the burden on anyone to attend Tulane athletics events until Tulane shows they intend to put a quality product on the field. Fred tries to push for change and that puts him ahead of 99% of Tulane alums who have tuned the Rick Dickson show out completely.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

It's simply not fair to put the burden on anyone to attend Tulane athletics events until Tulane shows they intend to put a quality product on the field. Fred tries to push for change and that puts him ahead of 99% of Tulane alums who have tuned the Rick Dickson show out completely.
There's a big difference between sitting on the sidelines and pushing for change vs supporting the product and pushing for change. Tulane today is 100 times more fan friendly then it was just 5 years ago. The product is a work in progress and always will be. But the treatment of season ticket holders is second to none IMO. Tulane is finally going in the right direction after backtracking for many years.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:

There's a big difference between sitting on the sidelines and pushing for change vs supporting the product and pushing for change. Tulane today is 100 times more fan friendly then it was just 5 years ago. The product is a work in progress and always will be. But the treatment of season ticket holders is second to none IMO. Tulane is finally going in the right direction after backtracking for many years.
I just don't see how the higher ups get the message unless fans give an indication that they have certain standards as regards on-court results that have to be met and that support is never to be taken for granted. How's that not reasonable?

And, by right direction, do you mean a program significantly closer to being a force in the American Conf. on par with UConn and Memphis et al. and set up to make regular deep runs in the NCAA tournament?
Show Me
Tsunami

Fred will never pay to see a Tulane game. I'm sure the 12-0 year he sat home.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Show Me wrote:Fred will never pay to see a Tulane game. I'm sure the 12-0 year he sat home.
Wrong. Had season tickets and even traveled to several games.
Jonathan
Riptide

Typical Conroy for the last five years. He plays the scrubs lowest ranked RPI teams in college basketball to get wins before conference play. Four or five SWAC teams and add lowly UNO and Southeastern to our pre AAC conference schedule. This will demolish UConn and other AAC top teams RPi. Our boy Conroy cannot recruit blue chip players or coach and any player he gets that might be good they leave his program. Fire him now. We all know for the last five years the Tulane men's basketball program sucks big time. We know who created its demise,Rick Dickson extending this losers contract through 2017 as he did Scelfo and Toledo. We need a $1.5 m young Larry Brown. Tulane men's basketball now is an embarrassment to the AAC and nation. Hundred times fan friendly? Get serious? All we need is quality wins against top 25 teams that we have not seen these wins since the early Perry Clark years!
Jonathan
Riptide

Curious do any of the major posters on this website locals or out of town persons attend all Tulane football games and most importantly give to TAF. I do. You have no right to criticize Tulane athletics including Dickson unless you are financially strapped or live mega miles from New Orleans. Even than you should come in once a year for a game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good update story here by Tammy on media day:
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... about.html
"I get a smile on my face every day from where we are and also what this year could mean," Conroy said. "With what we've done here ... practice facility has been built, game-day facility -- Devlin-has been renovated -- joining the new league, there's exciting times ahead for Tulane basketball but it also comes back to you because there is a good foundation laid so I think they're young team with some great opportunities laying in front of them. I think it's going to be exciting moving forward."

The guards -- Jay Hook, Dabney, Kajon Mack, Jonathan Stark, and newcomer Keith Pinckney -- are the backbone of the team.

"As soon as we hit the floor today, they are going at each other. Keith (Pinckney) is still trying to learn a little bit, But those guys are really going at it," Conroy said.

Dabney sees a prodigy on the practice floor.

"Keith gets at it on defense. Honestly, I see a little bit of me in Keith. He just has that drive on defense. He doesn't give up, and I love that about him," Dabney said.

The front court is still developing that heightened sense of competitiveness at practice.

"The bigs, we have some decent numbers there and some guys that can really help us," Conroy said. "They haven't been able to get competitive yet. They are all still fairly new to the whole thing. We have a back court that is just chomping at the bit to get at each other and play live one-on-one and two-on-two, things like that and then a front court that you are still trying to teach so no question right now there is no question that it is the most competitive back court, but the I think the whole roster will be that way."

Expect the guards to rule the floor, however.
Tulane Class of 1981
JDTulane
Riptide

So it takes going a 12-0 season to keep Fred in his seat lol. k.

It amazes me he can post so much on here yet fail to show to a game or two in any of the major sports. The ultimate armchair qb.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fred Dowler wrote:Let me ask you this: what is it going to take for the admin. to get the message that winning is expected and that the burden is theirs to take care of that aspect first and before they're in any kind of position to be demanding anything of fans?
Pressure from someone like the Glazers, Benson, Yulman, or another big time donor. All the thousands of posts on this board certainly have zero impact.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Basketball starts in less than two weeks. We'll be ok, but young. The young guys just need time to develop. Our coaches are excited to play in the great new league and bring positive exposure to Tulane twice a week. But we may lose a few along the way because we're young. We'll learn as we go because we're young. We're young so just give the coaches time, lots of time, to get things figured out. After all we're young.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:Basketball starts in less than two weeks. We'll be ok, but young. The young guys just need time to develop. Our coaches are excited to play in the great new league and bring positive exposure to Tulane twice a week. But we may lose a few along the way because we're young. We'll learn as we go because we're young. We're young so just give the coaches time, lots of time, to get things figured out. After all we're young.
Pete you are annoying as hell, but entertaining. I gotta say, I admire your tenacity.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Playing Memphis there is a good trial start. Let's see if we draw 6K. It's a good measuring stick as to see how big we need to make Devlin in the future. Memphis has always been our biggest crowd. Now Fred I fully expect to see you in attendance there.
Its not really a measure of anything seeing how everyone knows TU is going to get smoked. The size of Devlin needs to be based on cost of renos and conference affiliation.
wavemania
Surge

TPS, I beg to differ on the fan treatment. That is why football stadium looks vacant on TV. I refuse to give a dime to TAF with this BS product that has been going on for years. I sit in the end zone section because of that With the promotions they are doing to get fannies in the stands, it is cheaper to buy individual tickets than but season tickets. Now that makes sense, correct? :roll: I gave up mens basketball tix long ago with the complete destruction of this sport by RD's hires.