Question for NOLA BIGSTEVE

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Do you have any knowledge, from any sources, as to whether or not Tulane athletic staff reads this site ?

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
ajcalhoun
Swell

Some here are convinced that GreenWave is a Wilson Center plant.
God Bless Everyone!
lurker123
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:Do you have any knowledge, from any sources, as to whether or not Tulane athletic staff reads this site ?
Is this a trick question?

Maybe you are Jonathan's long lost brother. He asked a trick question several days ago as well!!

If not a trick question, here is your answer: HFY

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hfy
sader24
Tsunami

There's no way they don't read it.
OUG
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:Do you have any knowledge, from any sources, as to whether or not Tulane athletic staff reads this site ?
If there was a website devoted to people posting about your organization, would you read it?

Of course. They probably find it entertaining.

Does it matter? Probably not. Much of the criticism is easily dismissed as the "some people will never be happy" (e.g., see Kushner's tweet), and that makes the legitimate criticisms harder to discern. Everything they do that we fit into an "incompetence" narrative here, they likely have a counter-narrative for.
lurker123
Swell

OUG wrote:
If there was a website devoted to people posting about your organization, would you read it?

Does it matter? Probably not. Much of the criticism is easily dismissed as the "some people will never be happy" (e.g., see Kushner's tweet), and that makes the legitimate criticisms harder to discern. Everything they do that we fit into an "incompetence" narrative here, they likely have a counter-narrative for.
You forgot they probably have anthologized one of the most prolific posters here as personifying the "lunatic fringe." The real question is do you think they print them out or simply forward them digitally?
OUG
Riptide

lurker123 wrote:
OUG wrote:

You forgot they probably have anthologized one of the most prolific posters here as personifying the "lunatic fringe." The real question is do you think they print them out or simply forward them digitally?
Oh there's no doubt that someone in that building has compiled a volume with some title like "A Silicon Valley Entrepreneur's Guide to Athletics Administration for the 22nd Century"
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

- I've been in the Wilson center, and have seen the forum pulled up on staff computers.
- I've been in Tracey's and saw it pulled up on a staff members' cell phone.
- I analyze the site traffic and see the Tulane IP addresses that access this site daily. They're not all students...
- A prominent Tulane supporter and staff member had their job credibly threatened by Rick Dickson because of a favor they pulled for me personally.
- My father and I received sideline passes to a game last year in the Dome, and we were told we could ONLY stand on the visitor's sideline...
- I've made eye contact with Rick Dickson on several occasions, and he has avoided me like the plague.
- Myself, and some others, were not allowed to be present for filming of the Yulman commercial earlier this year on campus.
- Morgan Pfost is a good guy, and he has read this site for Yulman game day feedback.

TULANE READS THIS SITE. ALL THE TIME. EVERY DAY.

The best thing you can do is be constructive in your criticism, and offer praise when due. And recruit members to the forum. The more people discussing Tulane athletics and getting the word out there for positive change, the harder it is to be ignored.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: Oh there's no doubt that someone in that building has compiled a volume with some title like "A Silicon Valley Entrepreneur's Guide to Athletics Administration for the 22nd Century"
LMFAO

I think they know who a lot of us are. Despite being treated VERY well by the ticket sellers, and folks in the ticket office, I've been rebuffed by certain administrators and Board members that initially said they'd help me in my quest to raise some $$ for my son's leukemia battle. If my being an outspoken critic of the "Tulane Model" (which was a path to irrelevance athletically) has prevented me from expanding my universe of potential donors, shame on me for doing anything that jeopardizes my ability to help my son. Sad state of affairs when critics are ignored instead of listened to. The best ideas and plans come from debate, IMHO, not from a dictator who clearly misread the tea leaves.

I hope they're reading, because I will always bleed Olive Green and Sky Blue. And I'll always speak out when I see something that's wrong; a lesson I learned in my days as an undergrad at Tulane.

Roll Wave!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:

They don't read it for entertainment. They actually call people about post that are made. I know as I have been called by the AD and HC's.

As for SK's comment after the SLU game he was referencing both sites. Similar takes on the team appeared there after the game. But hey some just love to bash this site.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
OUG wrote:

They don't read it for entertainment. They actually call people about post that are made. I know as I have been called by the AD and HC's.

As for SK's comment after the SLU game he was referencing both sites. Similar takes on the team appeared there after the game. But hey some just love to bash this site.
They can call me anytime. I'm off the radar screen b/c of my lack of recent donations. But the ticket office has my contact info. My account is linked to another poster, and both Morgan Pfost and Brian Beardsley have my contact info.

All I've ever wanted is what's best for Tulane.

ROLL WAVE!
OUG
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: The best thing you can do is be constructive in your criticism, and offer praise when due. And recruit members to the forum. The more people discussing Tulane athletics and getting the word out there for positive change, the harder it is to be ignored.
A couple of us have been banging this drum for awhile. It's like anything in life. If you get classified as a 'hater", people tune you out. Credibility is the only currency a critic has -- if it looks like your criticism is meant for the enjoyment other critics (snarky nicknames, bashing people's weight or appearance, etc), it isn't going to come off as credible. The one exception of course, is Rick Dickson not wearing a tie. We should always make fun of Rick Dickson for not knowing how to tie a tie. I actually think we should mail the guy a clip-on, as a joke. Who wouldn't chip in money for that? :lol:
OUG
Riptide

winwave wrote:
OUG wrote:

Don't get 'em bunched Winwave. I'm not bashing the site. Crack open a beer and relax, it's happy hour.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:

Actually, no. The criticism should not be dismissed. In social media marketing, it's called engaging your influencers. Everywhere but backa$$wards Tulane, social media marketing is embraced. It should be assumed that the prevailing sentiment here is the prevailing sentiment for alumni generally.

Look at what Morgan from the ticket office did. He specifically asked Steve for stadium ops feedback on this forum. The result was better feedback then they could have generated with a team of people working full time for 2 weeks.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: LMFAO

I think they know who a lot of us are. Despite being treated VERY well by the ticket sellers, and folks in the ticket office, I've been rebuffed by certain administrators and Board members that initially said they'd help me in my quest to raise some $$ for my son's leukemia battle. If my being an outspoken critic of the "Tulane Model" (which was a path to irrelevance athletically) has prevented me from expanding my universe of potential donors, shame on me for doing anything that jeopardizes my ability to help my son. Sad state of affairs when critics are ignored instead of listened to. The best ideas and plans come from debate, IMHO, not from a dictator who clearly misread the tea leaves.

I hope they're reading, because I will always bleed Olive Green and Sky Blue. And I'll always speak out when I see something that's wrong; a lesson I learned in my days as an undergrad at Tulane.

Roll Wave!
That's disgusting and childish. There are enough "diehards" to count on one hand. They should do anything and everything they can to lend a hand. That's why that department won't win any support. You can't have a track record of failure and then both ignore and disrespect your critics. If you can't stand the heat....
sader24
Tsunami

Things is with Cowen gone if Dickson were to leave after this year a lot of if not all the animosity between the fanbase and administration would be gone. I've had good experiences with other people in the Athletic Department. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away. Dickson relationship with a good number of NOLA Tulane fans is beyond repair. If he'd retire he'd be viewed in a more positive light 5 years down the road bc of what he did during review and the stadium, but he's clearly running on fumes and his presence is a dark cloud over everything.
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Things is with Cowen gone if Dickson were to leave after this year a lot of if not all the animosity between the fanbase and administration would be gone. I've had good experiences with other people in the Athletic Department. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away. Dickson relationship with a good number of NOLA Tulane fans is beyond repair. If he'd retire he'd be viewed in a more positive light 5 years down the road bc of what he did during review and the stadium, but he's clearly running on fumes and his presence is a dark cloud over everything.
Yep.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
sader24 wrote:Things is with Cowen gone if Dickson were to leave after this year a lot of if not all the animosity between the fanbase and administration would be gone. I've had good experiences with other people in the Athletic Department. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away. Dickson relationship with a good number of NOLA Tulane fans is beyond repair. If he'd retire he'd be viewed in a more positive light 5 years down the road bc of what he did during review and the stadium, but he's clearly running on fumes and his presence is a dark cloud over everything.
Yep.
+1000

You will never convince the majority (or even a relevant minority) of Tulane alums that we're serious about athletics as long as Dickson is there.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

+10000

As an outspoken critic of RD, if he left at the end of the calendar year, or at worst at the end of the school year, we'd think back on his tenure as giving us Yulman, the AMAZING job he did with Devon Walker and Devon's family (Devon's Den) and getting us through the review and Katrina. Yes, a few of us would still gripe about his scheduling, track record of hires, and the size of Yulman, but he'd go out and leave a legacy MOST would think well of (right or wrong). It's time for RD to follow SC into the sunset, and let President Fitts name his own (not the hand picked successor) AD.

ROLL WAVE!
sader24
Tsunami

If you can't take criticism and lots of it you simply don't belong in for profit athletics at any level. It's going to happen from high school all the way up. Nobody is immune including Sean Payton and Drew Brees. If you lose for a decade straight the criticism is going to be deafening. Les Miles gets criticized all the time and he won a National Championship. It's part of the job and once you hit a point where you can't take it and not hold that criticism against you customers you need to retire. Some of the grudge type things I've heard of happening to vocal critics are just outrageous.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
winwave wrote:
OUG wrote:

Don't get 'em bunched Winwave. I'm not bashing the site. Crack open a beer and relax, it's happy hour.
LOL. That's rich coming from someone who's always got them bunched over post here. And yes you were bashing the site. I'll have one for you.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: The best thing you can do is be constructive in your criticism, and offer praise when due. And recruit members to the forum. The more people discussing Tulane athletics and getting the word out there for positive change, the harder it is to be ignored.
Exactly! Coaches, players, parents, recruits, fans, administrators and media all read this site. I believe in being critical when needed and praising when warranted. I feel that most here really want Tulane to succeed. GoTula generally gives a realistic view from the fans that still care. Yes, there tends to be more criticism than praise but that is the standard for social media and is probably more deserving based on Tulane's actions or lack of actions in the past. I believe if you show both praise and criticism it lends more credibility to your opinions. If you're always positive or always negative your views by most tend to be discarded or ignored.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Exactly! I believe in being critical when needed and praising when warranted. I believe most here really want Tulane to succeed. Coaches, players, parents, recruits, fans, administrators and media all read this site. It generally gives a realistic view from the fans that still care. Yes, there tends to be more criticism than praise but that is the standard for social media and is probably more deserving based on actions of the past. I believe if you show both praise and criticism it lends more credibility to your opinions. If you're always positive or always negative your views by most tend to be discarded or ignored.
I can fess up to sometimes posting out of anger, from MSKCC (the hospital) and letting all my anger out that should be directed at Leukemia, God, and the doctors who mislead us and focusing it on the AD and SC. At the same time, they gave me the outlet, I just took advantage of it. If I wasn't constructive, shame on me.
TURVS71
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

- I've been in the Wilson center, and have seen the forum pulled up on staff computers.
- I've been in Tracey's and saw it pulled up on a staff members' cell phone.
- I analyze the site traffic and see the Tulane IP addresses that access this site daily. They're not all students...
- A prominent Tulane supporter and staff member had their job credibly threatened by Rick Dickson because of a favor they pulled for me personally.
- My father and I received sideline passes to a game last year in the Dome, and we were told we could ONLY stand on the visitor's sideline...
- I've made eye contact with Rick Dickson on several occasions, and he has avoided me like the plague.
- Myself, and some others, were not allowed to be present for filming of the Yulman commercial earlier this year on campus.
- Morgan Pfost is a good guy, and he has read this site for Yulman game day feedback.

TULANE READS THIS SITE. ALL THE TIME. EVERY DAY.

The best thing you can do is be constructive in your criticism, and offer praise when due. And recruit members to the forum. The more people discussing Tulane athletics and getting the word out there for positive change, the harder it is to be ignored.
+1 ...

Mr. Dickson and his staff KNOW us! As I have always said, this site was started to allow ALL points of view and to help expose problems and provide suggestions/recommendations to improve Tulane Athletics. I personally feel that it HAS resulted in positive action. Mr. Dickson should realize that we want the best and deserve an Athletic Director that BUILDS relationships with all fans. Instead he threatens the job of an employee for trying to build that relationship.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:If you can't take criticism and lots of it you simply don't belong in for profit athletics at any level. It's going to happen from high school all the way up. Nobody is immune including Sean Payton and Drew Brees. If you lose for a decade straight the criticism is going to be deafening. Les Miles gets criticized all the time and he won a National Championship. It's part of the job and once you hit a point where you can't take it and not hold that criticism against you customers you need to retire. Some of the grudge type things I've heard of happening to vocal critics are just outrageous.
This.

It's nothing short of childish.