Tulane 35 - Southeastern 20

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jonathan
Riptide

Great win for Tulane tonight. I will take it any way we can win. Stop knocking our coaches other than their terrible play calling by our offensive coordinator that our head coach seems to condone. Fire him now CJ.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Tulane is a poorly conditioned football team.
And coached.

That 2nd and 8 35 yard fly pattern with 7:30 left was truly inspired garbage.

They are not putting these young kids in a position to be successful. Last year we managed games very well because we knew we needed to in order to win. This year its like they've forgotten all of that and are approaching each game like its a Madden on Xbox.
I would concur with this critique.
wavefan03
Surge

My wife and I couldn't find anyone to go to the game with so I watched from home. Its great that every game this season is televised. I ChromeCast to my TV.

I'm happy for the win. I'd like to see more of Badie and less of the other backs. Badie is smaller though so perhaps they are purposely keeping him fresh for the season. If we had last year's crop of seniors on defense perhaps they bring Lee along slower. At mid-season if Lee learns to not force throws our offense will be much improved from last year.

The team is improving and last year around this time we were getting outclassed by Syracuse. We kept the GA Tech game respectable and GA Tech is better than Syracuse. We lost every road game outside of Louisiana last year, and usually by a good margin. I think this team is as good as last years. We are much younger. A couple of bone-headed streaks against Tulsa taken back and we are 2-1 with a strong showing against GA Tech.
WaveCan
Low Tide

It never rains in Yulman Stadium!
capwave
High Tide

I was at the game last night and these are just a few thoughts:

1)Our OC sucks! His play calling belongs in peewee ball.
2)Our defensive line was just too physical for SLU OL. Tanzel Smart had his man on his heels and was in the backfield all night.
3)I dont know what the coaches see in Uzdavinis. We need help there.
4)Very discouraging how we continue to play in second half. We should have beat that team by 42.
5)A Win is a Win and i will happily take it. I was very worried about this game and we pulled it out.
6)Our student section is an embarrassment. Most were gone by the start of the 3rd quarter.

Oh and playing at night was awesome! weather could not have been nicer.
msdos
Swell

our second half play all year has been terrible.

still as far as i know, Tulane still hasn't lost to a 1aa team!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I saw much improvement last night with the exception of FG kicking. Somehow we to find someone that can make chip shot FG's. It will cost us another game before the year us out.
We still need to cut down on the INT's and other mistakes. The turnovers gave SELA too many opportunities to remain in the game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I saw much improvement last night with the exception of FG kicking. Somehow we to find someone that can make chip shot FG's. It will cost us another game before the year us out.
We still need to cut down on the INT's and other mistakes. The turnovers gave SELA too many opportunities to remain in the game.
+1

One observation. Its obvious that Tanner Lee can make all the throws. He put some balls in spots that were really tight. But its also obvious that he can't make all the READS. He could get away with throwing into double and triple coverage in HS, but not here in college. If they've got multiple coverage on one guy, someone else must be open, and he's just not seeing him. Is this something he will learn?

Meaning, should this sentence say, "He can't make all the reads, YET."?

And we still need to clean up the penalties. Over 100 yards in flags, again.
JDTulane
Riptide

Our student section was great.100x as many students as in years past if not more. What is embarrassing is the east sideline fans. You guys never let up on the students my God
Eaglewave
Swell

capwave wrote:I was at the game last night and these are just a few thoughts:

1)Our OC sucks! His play calling belongs in peewee ball.
2)Our defensive line was just too physical for SLU OL. Tanzel Smart had his man on his heels and was in the backfield all night.
3)I dont know what the coaches see in Uzdavinis. We need help there.
4)Very discouraging how we continue to play in second half. We should have beat that team by 42.
5)A Win is a Win and i will happily take it. I was very worried about this game and we pulled it out.
6)Our student section is an embarrassment. Most were gone by the start of the 3rd quarter.

Oh and playing at night was awesome! weather could not have been nicer.
1) He sucks! I was told by a damn good source the CJ didn't hire him anyway.
2) I told that SLU fan on this board that his fat little Strawberry Stadium linemen wouldn't do sh_t against our guys. Smart owned his man!
3)Uzdavinis sucks to every Tulane fan except our staff.
4)Our second half play is screaming for a 1-11 season.
5) A win is not a win in my eyes. I am "glad" that we won, but not happy about our performance. We should have blown away these PE Majors by 40 points. I was more worried about how we would win vs us losing.
6)Our student section is an embarrassment, but we do need to be more excitement in the second half in Yulman.
Ball Sumrall!
capwave
High Tide

JDTulane wrote:Our student section was great.100x as many students as in years past if not more. What is embarrassing is the east sideline fans. You guys never let up on the students my God
Yes, the students were great for 2 quarters. Its just a shame that this game happened to last 4 quarters!
JDTulane
Riptide

capwave wrote:
JDTulane wrote:Our student section was great.100x as many students as in years past if not more. What is embarrassing is the east sideline fans. You guys never let up on the students my God
Yes, the students were great for 2 quarters. Its just a shame that this game happened to last 4 quarters!

Wheres your kvetching about the adults who left early, on Saturday night, in New Orleans, when we were up 28-3.
TURVS71
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Horrendous play calling at crucial times. CJ played conservatively at the end, and if that long pass by Southeastern isn't called back because of the penalty, we risk being up by only one score with several minutes left. CJ, you don't bleed the clock with 5+ minutes left with the way we are performing. You just don't. :evil:
+1
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
TXWave88
Surge

There have been several valid points, but the majority of our issues is going to fall on our coaches. We have the talent that could have blown out Tulsa and SELA. GT we could have beaten. The issues I see are not just playcalling (which is not good at all), but Tanner Lee has seemed to digress a bit since the Tulsa game. In that game, you could see his read progression a lot better than you can see now. His INT in OT that game had no reads at all. It got worse the 2nd week and it was worse last night. That is 3 weeks of digressing in that department. Part of that we can blame on execution, but no improvement on a week to week basis on a young QB who is a smart kid, it screams to me poor coaching off the field. On the defensive side, I liked our approach a lot better last night. We were flying around and you saw Nico Marley in the backfield a lot on blitzes. It resembled a lot of what we saw last year. I enjoyed it. Only gave up like 240 yards of offense against a team that every described as a high power offense (but still a FCS team).

Playcalling/In game coaching....beating a dead horse here, but our offensive side has to figure it out or needs to be moved out at the end of the year if we do not see improvement. 3 weeks in a row that we come out playing well and the 2nd half we do mostly nothing. These coaches need to figure out that 3rd and 7+ every series is not winning football. I am not 100% sure how to fix that because hard to see at times what our offense is trying to do. Run the ball to the short side of the field that is stacked with defenders on 1st and then 2nd throwing a 40 yard streak route? Maybe it is their approach to keep the defense honest, but the honest answer is that isn't working. Only thing we are seeing a lot of out the Offensive coaching is that CJ is usually yelling at one of them during the games.

SELA brought a lot of pressure at the beginning of the game. Blitzed almost every play. We struggled at first, but it seems our protection improved through out the night. That was nice to see. Glad to see one of the coaches maybe working on the sideline.

How many times are we going to have to watch our players get 2-3 late hit penalties per game? CJ either has players who dont care if they get disciplined or he is not disciplining his team. We are a private school and our players are typically smarter than others. This needs to end. period.

Special Teams.....yuck. I am 100% happy with Sims. He kicked one out of bounds, but thats ok in my book. It is only ok, because if the other guys were kicking, I would be asking them to kick it out of bounds since they cant make it to the 5. Our fg team is still a disaster. No kicking issues last night because we had 1 attempt and the snap was way high that cost us the block. That is unacceptable, but he has had 1 bad snap on fg/xp this year. If we dont see another one, then we can live with that I guess. It should be automatic since he has 2 jobs. I have a huge request from the fans.....please do not applaud a punt of 35 yards. Our punting has been really bad this year that we got claps and an applause for a 35 yard kick that had little hang time last night. Granted, last night, their punter was so bad that a 35 yard punt looked like a bomb kick. I have never been a huge fan of our punter because he has no consistency and the only time he can get it 40-45 yards is usually a line drive. I do not see any changes this year possible (unless Sims can punt), but it is something that CJ needs to address in the offseason. The timing between the snaps and the kicks are still slow and I would expect another block or 2 this season. The long return I would have to see what really caused the return man to not get touched until the 50, then it was just poor/missed tackles. Hope that doesn't become a theme. I honestly think I can out kick our kickers on scholarship when the season started. I cant hang with Sims so this applies to the rest of the kickers. I played 10 years ago and was not a kicker and I would easily make them sweat in a competition. You may see more posts like this from me. If so, I may find a way to challenge these guys to a friendly competition. Anyone else can join the challenge if you like. :lol:

I honestly believe that we have the talent to be a top team in the AAC especially this year as I am not too impressed so far. We are not the team with the most talent in the conference, but we are not years behind. I just hope that the guys that can recruit these kids to campus can coach the game. I have big doubts right now certain areas. Not all, but the areas of concern are painfully obvious to us so I hope that CJ know that as well.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Positives from SE Louisisana game:

-The defense showed up from the beginning of the game
-Shackelford and Rush
-We were the superior team on the field
-Tyler Gilbert stood out to me
-Nico Marley...again!

Negatives

-Too many penalties(Donnelly as usual)
-Second half, up 28-3, we allowed SE LA to hang around
-Tanner Lee interceptions and he didn't look sharp most of the night
-Special teams
-running game struggled
-The Club seating resembled the Dome during Tulane games
greenphantom
Swell

Disappointing that we can't seem to play with a lead. People are rightfully down on coaching as we should be at least 2-1. However, I do feel people are exaggerating somewhat. An older guy sitting behind me last night told me that this is the worst coached Tulane team in 100 years. My response was really....have you forgotten Toledo, Wally English, Teevans, Scelfo, Greg Davis, etc.?

Also, I think we can table the NFL 1st rd projections for Lee. He'll be a stud at some point but he has a lot to learn.
OUG
Riptide

capwave wrote:6)Our student section is an embarrassment. Most were gone by the start of the 3rd quarter
I'd obviously like them to stay the whole game, but there's no way it is embarrassing when the same thing happens at every stadium in the country, including the SEC -- especially in games against directional schools where you are up 25 at the half.

I think what older fans don't get is that while this is the highlight of our night, the students view it as just the kickoff to their night.
Green Wave
Swell

JDTulane wrote:
capwave wrote:

Wheres your kvetching about the adults who left early, on Saturday night, in New Orleans, when we were up 28-3.
Exactly. This was an FCS school and the game was over at half-time.

What is embarrassing is people complaining about the actions of our future alumni. Did you even note the number of students in the stands last night as compared to the number of fans in the student section at the Mausoleum after an 0 and 2 start?

The stadium has proven it self now lets see if CJ and the team can put some more butts in the seats with a win streak.

ROLL WAVE!
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ted Lewis' latest's hack job........
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -gets-what
OK, Green Wave Nation. Admit it.
This one had you scared.
Southeastern may have been an FCS team, but the Lions were a good FCS team. North Dakota State good. “College GameDay” coming to Hammond good.
Meanwhile, Tulane stumbled its way though its first two games, turning winnable situations into defeats though untimely mistakes on the field and questionable decisions from the sidelines.
An 0-3 start that might have turned brand-new Yulman Stadium into the mausoleum on Poydras the Wave had occupied for much of the past 40 years.
When you’ve got a history like Tulane, you take ’em any way you can get ’em.
As a matter of fact, in all of its football history, which features 110 more defeats than victories, the Wave had never lost to an FCS game in 12 such matchups, five of them against the SLU. Since 2001, 10 of Tulane’s 51 victories have come against FCS foes.
Small wonder coach Curtis Johnson and athletic director Rick Dickson are of one accord when it comes to keeping an FCS team on the schedule every season. Obviously they’re not worried about poor strength of schedule keeping them out of the College Football Playoff.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I couldn't agree more with Tx88. If Tommy Bowden or RR is coaching this team we beat Tulsa by 30, GT by 21, and SLU by 50. Tanner looks like he isn't being coached at all and I still believe CJ is telling Price to sit on the ball in the 2nd half. The talent is there, we should be 3-0.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Ted Lewis' latest's hack job........
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -gets-what
OK, Green Wave Nation. Admit it.
This one had you scared.
Southeastern may have been an FCS team, but the Lions were a good FCS team. North Dakota State good. “College GameDay” coming to Hammond good.
Meanwhile, Tulane stumbled its way though its first two games, turning winnable situations into defeats though untimely mistakes on the field and questionable decisions from the sidelines.
An 0-3 start that might have turned brand-new Yulman Stadium into the mausoleum on Poydras the Wave had occupied for much of the past 40 years.
When you’ve got a history like Tulane, you take ’em any way you can get ’em.
As a matter of fact, in all of its football history, which features 110 more defeats than victories, the Wave had never lost to an FCS game in 12 such matchups, five of them against the SLU. Since 2001, 10 of Tulane’s 51 victories have come against FCS foes.
Small wonder coach Curtis Johnson and athletic director Rick Dickson are of one accord when it comes to keeping an FCS team on the schedule every season. Obviously they’re not worried about poor strength of schedule keeping them out of the College Football Playoff.
When is this joker retiring?

He tweeted before the game that "70 minutes before kickoff, the atmosphere is decidedly quieter than last week vs GT"

Yeah it's 70 minutes before kickoff, moron! And it's not the stadium opener! This guy just loves to get his digs in on Tulane and it's fans. There's plenty at Tulane to criticize/mock. But this guy actually looks for things to make up.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:Disappointing that we can't seem to play with a lead. People are rightfully down on coaching as we should be at least 2-1. However, I do feel people are exaggerating somewhat. An older guy sitting behind me last night told me that this is the worst coached Tulane team in 100 years. My response was really....have you forgotten Toledo, Wally English, Teevans, Scelfo, Greg Davis, etc.?

Also, I think we can table the NFL 1st rd projections for Lee. He'll be a stud at some point but he has a lot to learn.
I'm not sure that calling this the worst coached team in 100 years is hyperbole. The coaching is incredibly bad in a variety of areas, from playcalling to personnel management to discipline/penalties to in-game decisions. I could go on.

Lee still looks like a 1st round pick to me, just an very poorly coached one. He seems to know he's throwing into triple coverage and doesn't care. He just has too much belief in his arm.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:I couldn't agree more with Tx88. If Tommy Bowden or RR is coaching this team we beat Tulsa by 30, GT by 21, and SLU by 50. Tanner looks like he isn't being coached at all and I still believe CJ is telling Price to sit on the ball in the 2nd half. The talent is there, we should be 3-0.
This.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
greenphantom wrote:Disappointing that we can't seem to play with a lead. People are rightfully down on coaching as we should be at least 2-1. However, I do feel people are exaggerating somewhat. An older guy sitting behind me last night told me that this is the worst coached Tulane team in 100 years. My response was really....have you forgotten Toledo, Wally English, Teevans, Scelfo, Greg Davis, etc.?

I'm not sure that calling this the worst coached team in 100 years is hyperbole. The coaching is incredibly bad in a variety of areas, from playcalling to personnel management to discipline/penalties to in-game decisions. I could go on.

Lee still looks like a 1st round pick to me, just an very poorly coached one. He seems to know he's throwing into triple coverage and doesn't care. He just has too much belief in his arm.
Yes, it's been a constant and very noticeable. No, he won't be able to keep getting away with it.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.