Yulman Expansion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

Thought this should have its own thread...

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
"Which is what we want, to create a setting and a stadium that has created demand," Dickson said. "That's No. 1."
I will say this: The stadium was constructed and designed with an ability to expand."

My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
TURVS71
Swell

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Thought this should have its own thread...

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
"Which is what we want, to create a setting and a stadium that has created demand," Dickson said. "That's No. 1."
I will say this: The stadium was constructed and designed with an ability to expand."

I, for one, have always said that this was the ONLY way the stadium would be built and the ONLY way it will be expanded!!! Time to put away all of the woulda, coulda and shoulda talk, all of the number comparisons and costs, projections etc. etc.

Now JUST WIN BABY!!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Wave QB
Swell

We have to win games! I can't wait for the day that they put another deck on that god awful visiting side!
TURVS71
Swell

Wave QB wrote:We have to win games! I can't wait for the day that they put another deck on that god awful visiting side!
+1
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JerseyWave
Riptide

Typical of Tricky Dick, his philosophy is to build a small stadium to create demand rather than build a winning program, scheduling attractive opponents and hold the coaching staff accountable to create demand. Tulane has lost 5 of its last 6 games and if the losing continues the student section will be embarrassingly empty in a matter of games.
JerseyWave
Riptide

How has the small Stadium creating demand been working for DevlinDick Fieldhouse? Bad coach, bad recruiting, pathetic opponents = 500 people show up.
nawlinspete
Riptide

As Lorenzo Doss answered when he was asked how Tulane can acquire and keep a Home Field Advantage;
WIN, Just Keep Winning.

Winning will reinvigorate alums, awaken local demands among New Orleans' football obsessed citizenry, keep the student seats packed and those students will become future donors, and restore Tulane to a legitimate status in FBS.

Unfortunately the RickyDick problem must still be addressed.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

"If we can sustain that over a long period of time, then that's a discussion or a decision we will make. I will say this: The stadium was constructed and designed with an ability to expand."
This is a f*cking joke. All you gullible folk who think Tulane is committed once again need to take these fools' word at face value. Expansion is discussed as an IF and a condition that requires a "long period of time". I mean, we're only 9 years out on Katrina, I guess another 15 years is a good target for success. :roll:

Does anyone think the we should wait "a long time" before positioning ourselves for the ACC/Big12?. Does anyone think if CJ is successful that he's going to be willing to stick around "a long time" before getting real facilities?

Tulane plans to have a 22K stadium for "a long time". That's verbatim. Those of you sticking your head in the sand on this are helping these idiots do damage.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:As Lorenzo Doss answered when he was asked how Tulane can acquire and keep a Home Field Advantage;
WIN, Just Keep Winning.

Winning will reinvigorate alums, awaken local demands among New Orleans' football obsessed citizenry, keep the student seats packed and those students will become future donors, and restore Tulane to a legitimate status in FBS.

Unfortunately the RickyDick problem must still be addressed.
CJ understands it's more about winning than the the stadium. He's said that very clearly on numerous occasions this week.

Yes, we need to fix the Rick Dickson problem. He must be stopped from both making decisions about Tulane athletics much less speaking publicly on behalf of Tulane athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Steve this belongs w/the rest of the stadium thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
IM42lane
Swell

OK, fine. IF Tulane sells out the stadium on a regular basis over a period of years (and that will only occur if they become a WINNING program), then that is justification towards expansion of the place.

One question: WHERE??? That building is 'shoe-horned' into its location already. I mean, . . really, . . WHERE exactly???
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Ripple

Tulane and Tulsa are tied with the lowest stadium seating capacity in the American Athletic Conference. The next-lowest is Southern Methodist at 32,000. Both Cincinnati and South Florida top 65,000 seats. The conference average is 48,022.
God, The T-P is just garbage at any kind of factual research.

Cincinnati is playing this season at the Bengals 65,000 seat stadium because their on-campus facility (capacity: ~35K) is being renovated to add more luxury box / premium seating. When it's finished, they'll still be shy of the 40k mark everyone assumes to be the gold standard.
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
"If we can sustain that over a long period of time, then that's a discussion or a decision we will make. I will say this: The stadium was constructed and designed with an ability to expand."
This is a f*cking joke. All you gullible folk who think Tulane is committed once again need to take these fools' word at face value. Expansion is discussed as an IF and a condition that requires a "long period of time". I mean, we're only 9 years out on Katrina, I guess another 15 years is a good target for success. :roll:

Does anyone think the we should wait "a long time" before positioning ourselves for the ACC/Big12?. Does anyone think if CJ is successful that he's going to be willing to stick around "a long time" before getting real facilities?

Tulane plans to have a 22K stadium for "a long time". That's verbatim. Those of you sticking your head in the sand on this are helping these idiots do damage.
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... has-tulane
The commitment includes facilities — Yulman, of course, the adjacent Hertz Center where the basketball and volleyball teams practice, continued touching up Devlin Arena and, coming next, a “Tulane Village” on that same Claiborne Avenue property to accommodate the tennis and track programs displaced by the football stadium.
“This is not a lukewarm sports attitude on the part of the board,” said Jerry Greenbaum, Schmidt’s fellow athletics committee member. “This is a full commitment.”

The commitment includes facilities — Yulman, of course, the adjacent Hertz Center where the basketball and volleyball teams practice, continued touching up Devlin Arena and, coming next, a “Tulane Village” on that same Claiborne Avenue property to accommodate the tennis and track programs displaced by the football stadium.

There’s also a commitment to coaches salaries, academic support and other staffing needs that in the past the school either wouldn’t or couldn’t come up with.
In the arena’s place, Tulane built a new practice facility for basketball and volleyball, led by a donation from Hertz, who insisted the design fit in with a larger commitment to Tulane athletics.

“I knew we ought to have it somewhat connected to a football stadium,” Hertz said. “Frankly, unless we were going to do the whole thing, I probably wouldn’t have stepped out. But I felt I needed to, in order to get the whole thing going. If we just built a single facility without a real plan around it in place, that would not have been smart. The design was set up and the building was placed with the football stadium in mind.”
sader24
Tsunami

They've done a lot of things that we've suggested on this board. Have they gotten there yet? No, but I like to criticize as much as anyone, and I have to give them credit. We wanted better salaries for coaches and we've gotten them. Whether we agree with Yulman's capacity or not, it is an on campus football stadium and it has generated more interest in the program. They have a long way to go, but for the first time in a long time at least we're moving in the right direction.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

#41 wrote:
Tulane and Tulsa are tied with the lowest stadium seating capacity in the American Athletic Conference. The next-lowest is Southern Methodist at 32,000. Both Cincinnati and South Florida top 65,000 seats. The conference average is 48,022.
God, The T-P is just garbage at any kind of factual research.

Cincinnati is playing this season at the Bengals 65,000 seat stadium because their on-campus facility (capacity: ~35K) is being renovated to add more luxury box / premium seating. When it's finished, they'll still be shy of the 40k mark everyone assumes to be the gold standard.
What an embarrassment.
tufinal4
High Tide

I think the two schools of thought are both ok at this stage. Those who are still highly skeptical and cynical can't be blamed for their viewpoint, and the undeniable fact that complaints eminating (in many cases through the internet) from its diehard fanbase have instigated change proves that it's good to keep the pressure on. I have thought these very same thoughts expressed by JJ, Fred, show me etc. many, many times.

Those who believe it's time to buy in also can hardly be blamed. Revenues have skyrocketed from this. We're 1,000 sales shy of selling out the stadium for an entire season. In addition to my 6 season tickets, I bought 12 extra Ga. Tech tickets and they are GONE. Tickets to this game are going on Stubhub for $150. We are talking about Tulane football. 10 months ago we were all trying in vain to get anyone to go with us to home games. Think about that.

I don't trust some in the school administration. However, I'm not all that worried and here's why. Too many people have now stepped up and given too much money to stand by and ever accept a decline into mediocrity again. Board members giving millions. 3,000 or so people have stepped up and made multi-year commitments of $2,000 per year, and hundreds have made multi year commitments of $10,000 to $20,00 per year for 5 years. These folks aren't going to tolerate anything less than a full commitment to succuess. The board is lined up with this philosophy. Anyone who doesn't get the job done, or obstructs this progress, will be replaced. I'm convinced of that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tufinal4 wrote:I think the two schools of thought are both ok at this stage. Those who are still highly skeptical and cynical can't be blamed for their viewpoint, and the undeniable fact that complaints eminating (in many cases through the internet) from its diehard fanbase have instigated change proves that it's good to keep the pressure on. I have thought these very same thoughts expressed by JJ, Fred, show me etc. many, many times.

Those who believe it's time to buy in also can hardly be blamed. Revenues have skyrocketed from this. We're 1,000 sales shy of selling out the stadium for an entire season. In addition to my 6 season tickets, I bought 12 extra Ga. Tech tickets and they are GONE. Tickets to this game are going on Stubhub for $150. We are talking about Tulane football. 10 months ago we were all trying in vain to get anyone to go with us to home games. Think about that.

I don't trust some in the school administration. However, I'm not all that worried and here's why. Too many people have now stepped up and given too much money to stand by and ever accept a decline into mediocrity again. Board members giving millions. 3,000 or so people have stepped up and made multi-year commitments of $2,000 per year, and hundreds have made multi year commitments of $10,000 to $20,00 per year for 5 years. These folks aren't going to tolerate anything less than a full commitment to succuess. The board is lined up with this philosophy. Anyone who doesn't get the job done, or obstructs this progress, will be replaced. I'm convinced of that.
Tulane was contacted by 100's of high school coaches that wanted to be able to attend but they had to be turned away. Tulane is bringing possibly up to 40 recruits to this game. The buzz is off the charts. Need to win for it to be sustained. The recruits will be taken onto the field prior to the game and then taken to their seats.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote:They've done a lot of things that we've suggested on this board. Have they gotten there yet? No, but I like to criticize as much as anyone, and I have to give them credit. We wanted better salaries for coaches and we've gotten them. Whether we agree with Yulman's capacity or not, it is an on campus football stadium and it has generated more interest in the program. They have a long way to go, but for the first time in a long time at least we're moving in the right direction.
This is where I'm at.

People should acknowledge that it isn't "letting TU off the hook" to acknowledge that they are moving in the right direction. The response to the football stadium from fans should be: "ok, good first step, now what's next?"

Dickson and Fitts could help a lot of this by talking about the long term plan beyond the stadium, which for some reason they don't want to do.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
sader24 wrote:They've done a lot of things that we've suggested on this board. Have they gotten there yet? No, but I like to criticize as much as anyone, and I have to give them credit. We wanted better salaries for coaches and we've gotten them. Whether we agree with Yulman's capacity or not, it is an on campus football stadium and it has generated more interest in the program. They have a long way to go, but for the first time in a long time at least we're moving in the right direction.
This is where I'm at.

People should acknowledge that it isn't "letting TU off the hook" to acknowledge that they are moving in the right direction. The response to the football stadium from fans should be: "ok, good first step, now what's next?"

Dickson and Fitts could help a lot of this by talking about the long term plan beyond the stadium, which for some reason they don't want to do.
+1. Now we have to win and stay on top of them. We have a conference commish and fellow conference members who demand accountability. Progress has been made but needs to continue, quickly. My only concern is that the admin doesn't understand that the progress has to be a sprint not a marathon simply because the landscape is changing and the big boys (p5's) are taking every step they can to isolate themselves.
tufinal4
High Tide

My point is, if we don't continue winning, changes will be made until we do start consistently winning. I'm not that worried about winning either, because talent is being brought in and then will gain the experience to go with it. Our game coaching isn't world class, but the offense now clicks smoothly, the defense is in position. There are few coaches who will tell you that talent isn't the top priority. That isn't going to stop with a top flight, well respected, media supported coach with outstanding local connections. My biggest concern is, even with what we're paying him now, possibly losing him before very long. I think our top alums would step up and prevent that as well. The boulder is starting to roll down hill, and once it truly does there is little that can stop it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote: http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... has-tulane
“This is not a lukewarm sports attitude on the part of the board,” said Jerry Greenbaum, Schmidt’s fellow athletics committee member. “This is a full commitment.”

There’s also a commitment to coaches salaries, academic support and other staffing needs that in the past the school either wouldn’t or couldn’t come up with.
In the arena’s place, Tulane built a new practice facility for basketball and volleyball, led by a donation from Hertz, who insisted the design fit in with a larger commitment to Tulane athletics.

“I knew we ought to have it somewhat connected to a football stadium,” Hertz said. “Frankly, unless we were going to do the whole thing, I probably wouldn’t have stepped out. But I felt I needed to, in order to get the whole thing going. If we just built a single facility without a real plan around it in place, that would not have been smart. The design was set up and the building was placed with the football stadium in mind.”
And this is why no one can agree on where we are. This commitment to facilities includes a 22k football stadium and a 3.6k basketball arena. This commitment to coaches salaries pays our head football coach less than the average for D1A head coaches and one of the lowest salaries in the AAC. I just don't understand how these facts can be glossed over.

As for the expansion or other facilities possible, Lind suggests that there is no IPF that CJ wants happening within the next 3-5 years and Tammy suggested that any stadium expansion was 10 years off, contradicting Cowen's "you never say never" expansion plan.

If the Board believes that Tulane has gone "all in", it's their fault for continuing to let Cowen/Dickson lead them astray. I'm eager to see what affect Fitts has, but nothing will change until Dickson is gone.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tufinal4 wrote:I think the two schools of thought are both ok at this stage. Those who are still highly skeptical and cynical can't be blamed for their viewpoint, and the undeniable fact that complaints eminating (in many cases through the internet) from its diehard fanbase have instigated change proves that it's good to keep the pressure on. I have thought these very same thoughts expressed by JJ, Fred, show me etc. many, many times.

This is a great take, and I hope you are right. But it's absolutely impossible to talk about accountability in the athletic program with Rick Dickson in charge. Impossible. 12 months ago, everyone here (cough, cough, except for me) was certain Dickson would be canned as soon as Fitts arrived and stated "if not then we have bigger problems". Well, what say those people now? Are they as optimistic as you?

Dickson's presence remains both proof of something rotten at the core as well as the source of continually bungled decisions and a fundamental disconnect from the 90%+ of alumni he has alienated over the past 15 years. Until Dickson, who is for obvious reasons unable to fundraise from alumni who openly dislike him, has been replaced, you cannot tell me that those obstructing progress will be replaced.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
This is where I'm at.

And maybe the problem, as usual, is that the "long term plan" is so unappealing that they want to keep it under wraps. Like Dickson's suggestion that expansion is a "long time" off. Just like they held capacity a secret since no one would have been in favor of 22k.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:
This is where I'm at.

+1. Now we have to win and stay on top of them. We have a conference commish and fellow conference members who demand accountability. Progress has been made but needs to continue, quickly. My only concern is that the admin doesn't understand that the progress has to be a sprint not a marathon simply because the landscape is changing and the big boys (p5's) are taking every step they can to isolate themselves.
Right. And this is what we've read in the past few days. IPF not on the horizon. Locker rooms/renovated Wilson in 3-5 years. Stadium expansion a "long way" off.

Meanwhile, ULL will have a complete set of facilities in 3-5 years. You see what kind of progress UTSA is making.

Tulane continues to refuse to come out and say what the goal is, and that's what leads to all this arguing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tufinal4 wrote:My point is, if we don't continue winning, changes will be made until we do start consistently winning. I'm not that worried about winning either, because talent is being brought in and then will gain the experience to go with it. Our game coaching isn't world class, but the offense now clicks smoothly, the defense is in position. There are few coaches who will tell you that talent isn't the top priority. That isn't going to stop with a top flight, well respected, media supported coach with outstanding local connections. My biggest concern is, even with what we're paying him now, possibly losing him before very long. I think our top alums would step up and prevent that as well. The boulder is starting to roll down hill, and once it truly does there is little that can stop it.
The scary part is that if we don't win under CJ it's over. No coach worth having is going to take the job when they see a 22,000 seat stadium and no room for an IPF and football ops. building on campus. Having said that I will say what I've said all along. If CJ proves to be a winner he stays. He's local and more importantly his wife is local. He's not going anywhere else.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.