Yulman Expansion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So silly. The try and trick em method has failed miserably at Tulane forever. Furthermore westside expansion probably only yields a little over 3,000 seats. The south end zone can't be expanded. It is right up against Reilly. Another east side deck gets another 3k and maybe 3k more if the north gets expanded. So you're looking at 31k . Still a joke.Then throw in the fact that a pro OCS poster elsewhere just recently posted that the west side is already maxed out w/regards to the set back on that side. So probably no expansion there which brings it back to 28k. :roll:

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

Why can't we stack a deck on the West side & wrap it to the North & South?
Robert1969
Riptide

What we would have to do is tear down the nimby side of the stadium and rebuild it entirely. Give it a steeper slope altogether and you could fit more seats there. You could then let a new upper deck overhang the lower deck and get more seats in the upper deck.

You could do a controlled demolition of the Wilson Center and build the new Wilson Center on the so-called athletes' village property next to a football operations center. That would give you the room to properly expand the endzone on that side of the stadium.

Then you could sell the idoor suites separate from the outdoor seats. You could probably add a third deck on the glazer club side. Those sorts of changes could give you between 40 to 45,000 seats. That would be on par with TCU.
Robert1969
Riptide

In fact, if you built a new Wilson Center on the so-called athletes' village property, and demolished the Wilson center, you could probably start from scratch. Tear down the existing structure altogether and move the stadium outward and have two proper decks all the way around the stadium. You could easily have a 40-50,000 seat stadium in such a situation.
tufinal4
High Tide

I said that from the beginning. They should've incorporated a new Wilson Center (behind Hertz or on top of it, i.e. build vertical) into the plan, and built the new stadium facing the other way, i.e. sidelines along the baseball stadium and Hertz and smaller end zone sections near Audubon and Ben Weiner. They could have easily fit 40k seats facing that way.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:Why can't we stack a deck on the West side & wrap it to the North & South?
As I have said several times there is no room for expansion on the south end. It ids pressed right up against Reilly.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:What we would have to do is tear down the nimby side of the stadium and rebuild it entirely. Give it a steeper slope altogether and you could fit more seats there. You could then let a new upper deck overhang the lower deck and get more seats in the upper deck.

You could do a controlled demolition of the Wilson Center and build the new Wilson Center on the so-called athletes' village property next to a football operations center. That would give you the room to properly expand the endzone on that side of the stadium.

Then you could sell the idoor suites separate from the outdoor seats. You could probably add a third deck on the glazer club side. Those sorts of changes could give you between 40 to 45,000 seats. That would be on par with TCU.
They are not going to knock down Wilson. Football operations has to be on campus. That's what any coach wants. I get what your intent is but the money simply isn't there. Especially with what happened today. I said from the beginning they were trying to force what is supposed to be a D-1 stadium into a space that just can't handle it.
1989alum
Low Tide

What happened today?

They are not going to knock down Wilson. Football operations has to be on campus. That's what any coach wants. I get what your intent is but the money simply isn't there. Especially with what happened today. I said from the beginning they were trying to force what is supposed to be a D-1 stadium into a space that just can't handle it.
ajcalhoun
Swell

1989alum wrote:What happened today?
We didn't get a Big XII invitation.
God Bless Everyone!
1989alum
Low Tide

Right. I guess I never expected it. No one got invited. I have a crack pipe dream to revive the old Magnolia League idea - Tulane, Vandy, Duke, Wake, Miami, SMU, Rice, TCU maybe Richmond, Furman
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We can't even get a "hot" Hot Dog yet somehow we think that they can add 20K more seats.
Not going to happen in my lifetime.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:We can't even get a "hot" Hot Dog yet somehow we think that they can add 20K more seats.
Engineering technology exists to expand the stadium to adequate capacity. All you have to look at is numerous English soccer stadia redesigned to substitute seats for standing room only in 1990s/2000's. Virtually everyone of these venues was urban landlocked similar to Yulman.

Issue is and always has been politics/NIMBYs and then budgeting it institutionally.
posse
High Tide

Robert1969 wrote:What we would have to do is tear down the nimby side of the stadium and rebuild it entirely. Give it a steeper slope altogether and you could fit more seats there. You could then let a new upper deck overhang the lower deck and get more seats in the upper deck.

Dannen has said the foundation for an upper deck on the Westside is "already in place". Obviously they thought of upper deck expansion when they built the stadium......
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:We can't even get a "hot" Hot Dog yet somehow we think that they can add 20K more seats.
Engineering technology exists to expand the stadium to adequate capacity. All you have to look at is numerous English soccer stadia redesigned to substitute seats for standing room only in 1990s/2000's. Virtually everyone of these venues was urban landlocked similar to Yulman.

Issue is and always has been politics/NIMBYs and then budgeting it institutionally.
Then let them show us the plans that show the stadium at its fullest capacity. Also, let them tell us that they realize that to be taken seriously it can't be allowed to sit as is.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Then let them show us the plans that show the stadium at its fullest capacity. Also, let them tell us that they realize that to be taken seriously it can't be allowed to sit as is.
Again, friend, it's not the engineering or the architecture. Spend a day watching NBCSN or BeIN or FS1's coverage of European top level soccer and you will see numerous stadia like Yulman with similar footprints. If you prefer, you can simply do a Wikipedia search and go to the stadium websites. You can even check out Google Earth if want more detail and perspective. Your jaw will drop. They could build (or usually remodel) that size of stadium in a densely packed urban area? You'll think you're looking at Yulman on steroids in repeated examples.

It's the judgment and the will and the budget that matter here. For those of you who believe it's the size of Yulman and attendance that is critical for P5 status then quit wasting time and energy on hot dogs and condiments and focus on what really matters. Does anyone think that Bowlsby and friends heard from any of the 11 finalists that "Our OCS has the best concessions or worst and we need P5 status to fix it"? Lobby the Tulane Board and the City Council in a serious and professional manner to achieve needed expansion. This won't be easy to persuade them but it's doable. But please start by focusing on what matters.

Just my two cents.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen said in an interview months ago that he was going to study the stadium agreement really well and become more familiar with the local politics in order to make the necessary improvements to the Stadium and how it is used.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'm still waiting for a high school game to be played there.
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:I'm still waiting for a high school game to be played there. Typical Tulane BS.
Let's get granular on decision making. Cowen proposed the stadium and raised needed funding initially strong and hard as a Community Stadium with significant other events especially high school football. NIMBY's stopped this and if you recall Tulane's proposal was in effect politically halted by City Council.

Tulane regrouped and reached a compromise with NIMBY's and City Council which restricted high school games to at most one per week but with such stringent neighborhood/traffic policing requirements that such events became financially unfeasible. Not even Jesuit can afford to play there under these terms.

Would you rather Tulane have walked away from building Yulman because it could not be a true Community Stadium? That's a legitimate position and obviously others here believe building Yulman was a mistake but perhaps for other reasons. Is it "Typical Tulane BS" that they compromised to build it? Again let's focus on the core issue and not extraneous stuff.

You want change here? It must be political. There is a straightforward solution. Organize the students on campus to register and vote in local elections. You could even have a student candidate to seal the deal. You think the students as voters might favor concerts and other events in Yulman? Including students at Loyola and in nearby apartments that's over 10,000 potential voters. More than enough to control the local District race and probably one if not both Council Members at Large and effect any legal change needed for Yulman. Twenty NIMBYs on Audubon Blvd would no longer control here. Are you ready to act?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I'm still waiting for a high school game to be played there. Typical Tulane BS.
Let's get granular on decision making. Cowen proposed the stadium and raised needed funding initially strong and hard as a Community Stadium with significant other events especially high school football. NIMBY's stopped this and if you recall Tulane's proposal was in effect politically halted by City Council.

Tulane regrouped and reached a compromise with NIMBY's and City Council which restricted high school games to at most one per week but with such stringent neighborhood/traffic policing requirements that such events became financially unfeasible. Not even Jesuit can afford to play there under these terms.

Would you rather Tulane have walked away from building Yulman because it could not be a true Community Stadium? That's a legitimate position and obviously others here believe building Yulman was a mistake but perhaps for other reasons. Is it "Typical Tulane BS" that they compromised to build it? Again let's focus on the core issue and not extraneous stuff.

You want change here? It must be political. There is a straightforward solution. Organize the students on campus to register and vote in local elections. You could even have a student candidate to seal the deal. You think the students as voters might favor concerts and other events in Yulman? Including students at Loyola and in nearby apartments that's over 10,000 potential voters. More than enough to control the local District race and probably one if not both Council Members at Large and effect any legal change needed for Yulman. Twenty NIMBYs on Audubon Blvd would no longer control here. Are you ready to act?
But yet Tulane let this happen. So the deal Tulane accepted has made it virtually impossible to make the stadium work as promised. So in summary it's really too small for a legit D1 program, it's too costly for high schools, and concerts along with other attractions are prohibited. Just insane.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Previous administration let this happen. Now its up to current administration to fix it. I believe they will.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Previous administration let this happen. Now its up to current administration to fix it. I believe they will.
The damage has already been done IMO. Fixing it won't be easy and cheap. If even possible.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Again, friend, it's not the engineering or the architecture. Spend a day watching NBCSN or BeIN or FS1's coverage of European top level soccer and you will see numerous stadia like Yulman with similar footprints. If you prefer, you can simply do a Wikipedia search and go to the stadium websites. You can even check out Google Earth if want more detail and perspective. Your jaw will drop. They could build (or usually remodel) that size of stadium in a densely packed urban area? You'll think you're looking at Yulman on steroids in repeated examples.

It's the judgment and the will and the budget that matter here. For those of you who believe it's the size of Yulman and attendance that is critical for P5 status then quit wasting time and energy on hot dogs and condiments and focus on what really matters. Does anyone think that Bowlsby and friends heard from any of the 11 finalists that "Our OCS has the best concessions or worst and we need P5 status to fix it"? Lobby the Tulane Board and the City Council in a serious and professional manner to achieve needed expansion. This won't be easy to persuade them but it's doable. But please start by focusing on what matters.

Just my two cents.
You're so inflicted w/the yoggie mentality of always trying to turn it on the fans. The fact is the place is a lot more restricted space wise than you care to admit b/c it doesn't fit your agenda. Like I said you can't expand on the south end b/c it abuts Reilly. They aren't tearing it down. Other additions only add maybe 9,000 seats. Too damn small to impress recruits that can elevate the program to its full potential. That's what we are talking about not P5.
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

But yet Tulane let this happen. So the deal Tulane accepted has made it virtually impossible to make the stadium work as promised. So in summary it's really too small for a legit D1 program, it's too costly for high schools, and concerts along with other attractions are prohibited. Just insane.
In effect, you're saying Tulane should have walked and not built Yulman over the "Community" event issue. Legit position. BTW who wrote the rule that Yulman is "really too small for a legit D1 program?" There is alot of conventional wisdom in your remark. Sort of like the unwritten "Code of Baseball." Would Tulane have been chosen yesterday if it played all its games in very nice pro venues with "legit D1 program" capacity: SD, SKA and Baby Cakes Field (or whatever they will call Zephyr?)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -expansion

Look how many Premier League soccer stadia have smaller capacity than Yulman including one at 11,500. Leicester, (Defending League Champ) has field that seats 32,300. This is the richest league in the world with global TV revenues and ratings that surpass the NFLs and dwarf the SEC. What do they have in common though? You have to win to stay there (or at least not lose.) Stadium capacity is irrelevant with largest stadium 6x+ the size of the smallest. That's what "legit D1 programs" do and Tulane hasn't. Consistently win. It's been 65 years since Tulane could claim that mantle. Sorry but this ain't about Yulman or the SD. It's about what you do between the lines. That's my two cents.
Last edited by lurker123 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Just my two cents.
You're so inflicted w/the yoggie mentality of always trying to turn it on the fans. The fact is the place is a lot more restricted space wise than you care to admit b/c it doesn't fit your agenda. Like I said you can't expand on the south end b/c it abuts Reilly. They aren't tearing it down. Other additions only add maybe 9,000 seats. Too damn small to impress recruits that can elevate the program to its full potential. That's what we are talking about not P5.
Again, friend, you're factually wrong. Space is there. Political will, institutional judgment and cash are not.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

In effect, you're saying Tulane should have walked and not built Yulman over the "Community" event issue. Legit position. BTW who wrote the rule that Yulman is "really too small for a legit D1 program?" There is alot of conventional wisdom in your remark. Sort of like the unwritten "Code of Baseball." Would Tulane have been chosen yesterday if it played all its games in very nice pro venues with "legit D1 program" capacity: SD, SKA and Baby Cakes Field (or whatever they will call Zephyr?)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -expansion

Look how many Premier League soccer stadia have smaller capacity than Yulman including one at 11,500. Leicester, (Defending League Champ) has field that seats 32,300. This is the richest league in the world with global TV revenues and ratings that surpass the NFLs and dwarf the SEC. What do they have in common though? You have to win to stay there (or at least not lose.) Stadium capacity is irrelevant with largest stadium 6x+ the size of the smallest. That's what "legit D1 programs" do and Tulane hasn't. Consistently win. It's been 65 years since Tulane could claim that mantle. Sorry but this ain't about Yulman or the SD. It's about what you do between the lines. That's my two cents.
The Tulane administration negotiated from total weakness to begin with. SC wanted the stadium built while he was president. More money should have been raised and better planning gone into it. Tulane rushed this thing through without thinking about the long term ramifications. The parking, the height, the security, the noise, the ban of certain events all but killed this project's potential from the beginning. Tulane should have proposed a 50K stadium and backed down from that point. That way you would have ended up with a double deck 35K-40 stadium all around and the NIMBY's could brag that they won. But instead Tulane did everything just to get the thing built while Cowen was still president. And now we are stuck hoping Dannen can fix this mess.
Tulane Class of 1981